• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Are You Afraid? To compete.

Big pistols are too much of a hassle for a lazy, comfort seeking, easy living guy like me. If it doesn’t fit in a sticky and disappear in my pocket I’m out.
I used to fuck with gun-belts, holsters, and all that crap. Then I realized that the difference between an FNX (with one in the pipe and fifteen .45s in the magazine) and a six shot .380 was almost unnoticeable compared to the difference between having a loaded pistol on you and being unarmed.

Reactions: ToddKS
Who cares what other people think...trying to impress other people is dumb. Focus on yourself and improving.

Get out and shoot a match. Have fun and learn.

I used to shoot competitive handgun and I enjoyed that. Competition can show you where you're lacking pretty quickly. I have been wanting to get out to Mammoth for a couple of years now but all of my friends really suck at following through so I never have a partner.

Reactions: clcustom1911
I’ve been shooting since I was 5, which is 30 years. I’ve never been to a match of any kind because of a lack of time and knowledge on where to even begin.

I live in southern MO and I always assumed there just wasn’t much around me. This thread is making me rethink that, but I still don’t know where to even begin.

I have some pretty fantastic gear (AXMC and S&B) that I bought just because I’d always wanted it, but I’ve never really taken it out long range.

I have no delusions. I know I would likely place dead last and be made fun of for having expensive gear without the skill to push it, but I still think it would be fun to try. I’m pretty good at taking criticism and ignoring asshats.

The other thing holding me back is what someone else mentioned—if I start shooting matches, I may lose the enjoyment I get from going to a range and punching paper.

I’ve been shooting since I was 5, which is 30 years. I’ve never been to a match of any kind because of a lack of time and knowledge on where to even begin.

I live in southern MO and I always assumed there just wasn’t much around me. This thread is making me rethink that, but I still don’t know where to even begin.

I have some pretty fantastic gear (AXMC and S&B) that I bought just because I’d always wanted it, but I’ve never really taken it out long range.

I have no delusions. I know I would likely place dead last and be made fun of for having expensive gear without the skill to push it, but I still think it would be fun to try. I’m pretty good at taking criticism and ignoring asshats.

The other thing holding me back is what someone else mentioned—if I start shooting matches, I may lose the enjoyment I get from going to a range and punching paper.

Look up the Missouri Steel Tactical series (MOST). Get ahold of Buzz. He will get you pointed in the right direction.

Shooting matches utilizes the basic long range skill set in addition to a few other skills. I was pretty accustomed to shooting stuff from a long ways from my belly, but I was not accustomed to par times or wobbly barricades.

My first match was a shit show. It didn't get last but damn close. I still had fun. There are many great people to help you learn. After the first match I practiced what I had trouble with. I was squadded with some good guys that helped me out, and in my second match my score was more than double my score in the first match.

The way to start is to go shoot a match. You will likely learn a ton and have a lot of fun.

If you decide it isn't for you, you can simply go back to the style of shooting you already enjoy.

Reactions: Fig

I am not sure why everyone thinks people will make fun of them or why it even matters.

If someone is making fun of you...they don’t matter and their opinion doesn’t matter. They are not in your life so you shouldn’t care what they think.

I don’t get why people are so wrapped up with what other people think.
Just out and shoot. You will have fun and learn. I GUARANTEE you will have more fun than punching paper.

Please people...go out and shoot. Don’t worry what other people think. Don’t worry about what other people say. Don’t worry about your performance.

I am just perplexed by the number of people that are held back by feelings of social pressure or anxiety.

Give it a try.
You could ... try making fun of yourself at the match, before anybody else has a chance.

I agree with those that say to go ahead and shoot a match, but think that you should find a way to address the fact that you haven’t shot long range first. If I’m reading your comments right (see the sections in your post that I made bold), you are not sure where to begin and don’t have any experience at long range.

Now, I don’t know exactly what you meant by those comments, but if you don’t have good dope out to about 1000 yards or aren’t sure how to get it or don’t have the place to get it, you should solve that piece of the puzzle first, in my opinion. You still should reach out to Buzz and talk honestly about where you are and what you want to do. I’ll bet that he can point you in the right direction as to a local or nearly local place to get some instruction or to practice a bit, so that you know where to expect your impacts at distance

If you do not know what to expect from your rifle past say 300 yards, you will struggle way more than necessary at a match and it will sour your experience. On the other hand, if you already have dope out to about 800-1000 yards and know your rifle at distance and I just miss-interpreted your comments, ignore all of what I said above and go shoot that first match. You’ll be glad that you did.

Reactions: 308pirate
Obviously mo practice is mo better, but you’ll get experience at the match.
oreilly-do-it-live.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
I agree with those that say to go ahead and shoot a match, but think that you should find a way to address the fact that you haven’t shot long range first. If I’m reading your comments right (see the sections in your post that I made bold), you are not sure where to begin and don’t have any experience at long range.

Now, I don’t know exactly what you meant by those comments, but if you don’t have good dope out to about 1000 yards or aren’t sure how to get it or don’t have the place to get it, you should solve that piece of the puzzle first, in my opinion. You still should reach out to Buzz and talk honestly about where you are and what you want to do. I’ll bet that he can point you in the right direction as to a local or nearly local place to get some instruction or to practice a bit, so that you know where to expect your impacts at distance

If you do not know what to expect from your rifle past say 300 yards, you will struggle way more than necessary at a match and it will sour your experience. On the other hand, if you already have dope out to about 800-1000 yards and know your rifle at distance and I just miss-interpreted your comments, ignore all of what I said above and go shoot that first match. You’ll be glad that you did.

Thanks. You read into it pretty accurately. When I said I'm not sure where to begin, I was referring to my lack of knowledge of what matches or groups are available as well as long distance range availability. I am currently not aware of any ranges within a reasonable driving distance of me to shoot further than 300 yards. I can get out to about 500 at my deer cabin after freshly mowing a couple of fields. I do have a chronograph and am capable of extrapolating my dope from 300 out, but I just don't really have anywhere to verify the numbers with shots downrange.

I'll check into what you said. I'm certainly not afraid to shoot a match, I just need to better understand what all it entails and prepare myself for it. Sounds like Buzz can help with that. Thanks for the information.

Reactions: lash
I am not sure why everyone thinks people will make fun of them or why it even matters.

If someone is making fun of you...they don’t matter and their opinion doesn’t matter. They are not in your life so you shouldn’t care what they think.

Just out and shoot. You will have fun and learn. I GUARANTEE you will have more fun than punching paper.

Please people...go out and shoot. Don’t worry what other people think. Don’t worry about what other people say. Don’t worry about your performance.

I am just perplexed by the number of people that are held back by feelings of social pressure or anxiety.
Give it a try.
You could ... try making fun of yourself at the match, before anybody else has a chance.

I understand what you guys are saying, and I agree. I'm not really concerned with what anyone else thinks or says about me--I was just saying that I have no delusions or high expectations of my current shooting ability in regards to PRS or just long range in general and that I'm pretty good at taking constructive criticism while ignoring any that isn't helpful.

Reactions: perttime
I can’t relate. I don’t stress about important shit, much less a PRS match. I compete for fun and against myself. I don’t practice enough for a top ten finish and probably never will. I have a blast. I’m the guy whose smiling the whole time. I love love socializing with nonfucktards who are in their right minds, and I’m always glad I went.
I always joke about only showing up to socialize.... & bring snacks! oddly enough after few matches if you practice and have a decent understanding you might just surprise yourself. Shot 26 matches in 2019 league & national Point’s combined. Amazing ppl you can meet that you would never meet at a range by yourself, also as was stated the dipshits typically get ran out after one or two.

Reactions: TACC, lash and Fig
I always joke about only showing up to socialize.... & bring snacks! oddly enough after few matches if you practice and have a decent understanding you might just surprise yourself. Shot 26 matches in 2019 league & national Point’s combined. Amazing ppl you can meet that you would never meet at a range by yourself, also as was stated the dipshits typically get ran out after one or two.
No doubt, but I’m lucky if I can make time to hit five, and practice less than once a month at a 600 yd range. It’s not that I don’t love it or I’m not serious about it; I just don’t have the time. I’m an upper middle of the pack marksman, and I’m ok with that. If I hit the lottery and could quit working I’d shoot all the time and get way better, but I have to work, and take care of my family and do the shit I must rather that that which I want.

Reactions: RTH1800
i just need to be able to hit zombies if the time comes.
while i have little interest in competing, i might at some point.
right now it is hard to be gone for an entire day and i am 2-3 hours from a 600 yard range.

I shot in the "Best in Texas" match last year. My first match ever. A two day match with targets out to 1100 yards. My local club range only goes out to 600 yards. But I had the time and some extra money and I wanted to see what it was all about. I had a freaking blast. Suffice it tom say I'm not the "Best in Texas", But I didn't finish last (I wasn't that far from last) but at least I wasn't last. But I had never shot off any of these stages before. The stages where I could get in the prone or shoot off something "stable" I held my own, but those stages shooting off of moving tables and things that moved or was unstable ate my lunch. But the guys In my group were all pretty cool, we laughed all day, hazed each other all day, but we all had a good time. I only made time on one stage, I cleared that stage as well. I plan on going back this year. .......and no, I don't give one rats ass what other people think.

Reactions: lovdasnow
I shoot the club matches with no lofty aspiration of "winning." I have a cheap .223 Rem rifle with 5-round detachable mags and use 77SMKs with a crap BC. My rinky-dink SFP scope is Mil/MOA with poor glass and a 0-MOA base. I have to hold-over anything past 900 yards, but the turrets track, the load's accurate and I'm pretty quick at mag changes now :) . I made my own bags from worn out bluejeans. I have less than $1000 in the entire setup, but frequently place in the top 25% of 20-30 competitors (I was almost last place my first time and learned a lot since). I've never been harrassed about the apparent low-quality of my gear even by the Gucci-clad, Mercedes-driving, jersey-wearing PRS shooters.

I shoot to have fun and to learn to be a better shooter, and DGAF what other people think. When I score well, everyone is congratulatory, and when I suck everyone commiserates. I like the social aspect, the cost of entry (rifle, optics, gear, etc.) usually weeds out the riffraff you'd see spraying the 25yd berm at the public ranges. I'm sorry to read about other people's poor experience at the hands of fellow shooters. I recommend the local, informal steel matches where there are fewer egomaniacs and a bevy of "regulars" who police their ranks. Don't let one negative experience sully what could otherwise be a rewarding pastime.

i just need to be able to hit zombies if the time comes.
while i have little interest in competing, i might at some point.
right now it is hard to be gone for an entire day and i am 2-3 hours from a 600 yard range.
At a match, you might find some ways to hit zombies that you need to get better at :ROFLMAO:
Course designers sometimes come up with challenges that you haven't tried before.

It is one thing to practice stuff that you, or guys and girls at the club, can think of. It is another thing to cope with stuff that some other people put in front of you.

I'll finish at the back of the pack learning an entire new skill with PRS......if people laugh honestly that's not the kind of person I hang with anyway so doubt I'd even be conscious of it. The guys I associate with see someone struggling and they might attempt to strike up a conversation and maybe offer up some help if the conversation lends itself to that topic. There will always be ego stroking seekers in any activity I simply don't let them determine my enjoyment. I can't wait as my PRS itch is gonna get scratched it looks like in the next 90 days....back of the bus, but working towards the front!

I'm not afraid to compete but most gun guys I meet at the range are king douchers. What's the point in competing when you are annoyed by people... Like let's go shoot guys and be annoyed , sounds like a great time ?...

Truth be told... I've just been around too many shitty people. I'd rather be alone than deal with it all.

Instead I just said F it, rented a dozer and made my own range. I might extend my range another 300 yards this year. Time will tell.

I meet a lot of those people at the range, but don’t usually run into those types at my local matches

Last edited:
I shot in the "Best in Texas" match last year. My first match ever. A two day match with targets out to 1100 yards. My local club range only goes out to 600 yards. But I had the time and some extra money and I wanted to see what it was all about. I had a freaking blast. Suffice it tom say I'm not the "Best in Texas", But I didn't finish last (I wasn't that far from last) but at least I wasn't last. But I had never shot off any of these stages before. The stages where I could get in the prone or shoot off something "stable" I held my own, but those stages shooting off of moving tables and things that moved or was unstable ate my lunch. But the guys In my group were all pretty cool, we laughed all day, hazed each other all day, but we all had a good time. I only made time on one stage, I cleared that stage as well. I plan on going back this year. .......and no, I don't give one rats ass what other people think.
@phillip61 you might have just convinced me. There is a "Best in Texas" match (at CCC in Navasota, TX) just down the road from me in 3 weeks and I am on the fence because its will be my first match. My new rifle is showing up tomorrow but I should be able to get it zeroed, barrel broken in, and at least a decent dope (velos) in the process - no time to get full handloads worked up so would have to rely on match ammo.

I have only shot out to 600yds, but like you, I just want to have a good time and learn. Would you shoot the full 2 day match as a complete newb or wait on a regular one day club match? I have never even been to one of these things so completely green.

No doubt, but I’m lucky if I can make time to hit five, and practice less than once a month at a 600 yd range. It’s not that I don’t love it or I’m not serious about it; I just don’t have the time. I’m an upper middle of the pack marksman, and I’m ok with that. If I hit the lottery and could quit working I’d shoot all the time and get way better, but I have to work, and take care of my family and do the shit I must rather that that which I want.
For sure! I’m rowing same river; same boat! We have an awesome md who does a lot for us and the sport. That being said he runs solid COF bi-weekly league through winter & weekly league through spring and summer. Our league matches “only” go out to 1k (haha) funny saying that know. I remember when 1k was a goal! This season with the great friends I’ve made via matches We are taking guys weekends to go play some “jersey boys” at the two-day national matches. Nervous & excited, funny is the nerves are not about the match more so about having money and time tied up and having gear go down. As seems I break shit...OFTEN!

If you want to find a reason not to go compete you will, just as you will find a reason to go compete. Yes it requires some driving and time off work and money and time and everything else that goes into something worthwhile but once I started going I just wanted to keep going. Yes there are some douche bags at matches but there a many more solid people. You can find the positive or the negative in everything you do, its your choice.

I wish I could compete but my career has left my body to broken. I’d enjoy hanging out and making new friends with like minded people. I’ve considered looking into what it would take to be an RO, I don’t have any experience but I’m sure I could learn quickly. Maybe I need to go to some comps and hang out, watch and mingle.

Reactions: lovdasnow
@phillip61 you might have just convinced me. There is a "Best in Texas" match (at CCC in Navasota, TX) just down the road from me in 3 weeks and I am on the fence because its will be my first match. My new rifle is showing up tomorrow but I should be able to get it zeroed, barrel broken in, and at least a decent dope (velos) in the process - no time to get full handloads worked up so would have to rely on match ammo.

I have only shot out to 600yds, but like you, I just want to have a good time and learn. Would you shoot the full 2 day match as a complete newb or wait on a regular one day club match? I have never even been to one of these things so completely green.

The NRL Championship was at that range, and it's awesome. If you live close to that place and don't shoot there every chance you get... you're a fool.

Awesome range and you'll learn more in a day of competition than weeks or potentially months on your own.

Just get out there and enjoy it. Shoot more, worry less.

Reactions: lovdasnow and lash
I shoot a lot of USPSA. I'd have to travel a a pretty long distance to shoot a regular PRS match. I've shot long range matches before but just don't have the time to engage in another shooting discipline the same way I do USPSA. Precision rifles has always been my passion but I shoot pistols almost every day.

This is exactly where I am. Tried some PRS club matches in 2018 but the drive (2+ hrs each way) and the time spent at the range (all damned day) just makes it a no go for me. And to make it worse, no place to work on the skills that need a 600+ yard range anywhere close either.

OTOH, from March to November I have at least three USPSA matches and two IDPA matches available every month within a hr's drive of home and I know we'll be done by 1 PM (2 PM if it's the occasional mega match). Two of them are within 30 mins of home. And once Nov rolls around, twice-monthly indoor matches start up in Cincinnati, again, just a tick over an hour from home.

I have facilities available to me to practice all of the elements of practical pistol shooting, including live fire with draws, movement, and transitions, less than 30 min from home and on my way home from work.

Logistically, long range rifle competition is pretty much a non-starter for me. Unfortunately.

I've shot IDPA pistol matches for over 10 years. I really like the down to earth atmosphere of local club matches. Newbies to the sport are always treated with respect and a helping hand. No one is an expert at the game it in their first year. It took me 7 years of playing the game to make expert as per IDPA's classifier system.

With that being said, I have no desire to compete in any larger sanctioned matches. With higher tiered state or national matches, most of the crowd seems to take their performance too seriously at the expense of having fun. I like to have fun as well as being challenged enough to sharpen my skills and keep them sharp. I encourage all newbies to stick with the easy going flavor of smaller local matches for a year or two before considering the bigger matches.

When we pay $150 - $200 to shoot a level II or III match, we're going there to put our absolute best effort. That means concentrating on what we're doing to make the fewest mistakes possible. That means working up and ingraining anywhere from 8 to 12 stage plans (many of them complex) to memory. That means working to reset and paste efficiently but paying attention to not screw someone out points he or she earned.

Doing that is incompatible with chit chat, fuck fuck games, or any of the other easy going stuff WE (the same guys who take our shooting seriously) do at local matches. There's a time and place for everything.

Having said all that, no one I've ever shot with at a state, sectional, or area match has been a douche. There's a difference between trying to stay focused and being a douche, though some people can't seem to tell them apart and think they're the same. Obviously, the guy who won't respect the fact that most people go to higher level matches to compete and not to socialize ends up getting butthurt when no one engages with him. It's good to not be "that guy".

This is exactly where I am. Tried some PRS club matches in 2018 but the drive (2+ hrs each way) and the time spent at the range (all damned day) just makes it a no go for me. And to make it worse, no place to work on the skills that need a 600+ yard range anywhere close either.

OTOH, from March to November I have at least three USPSA matches and two IDPA matches available every month within a hr's drive of home and I know we'll be done by 1 PM (2 PM if it's the occasional mega match). Two of them are within 30 mins of home. And once Nov rolls around, twice-monthly indoor matches start up in Cincinnati, again, just a tick over an hour from home.

I have facilities available to me to practice all of the elements of practical pistol shooting, including live fire with draws, movement, and transitions, less than 30 min from home and on my way home from work.

Logistically, long range rifle competition is pretty much a non-starter for me. Unfortunately.

I think the closest PRS match to me is 4+ hours away, Saturday only. In the summer, because of my work schedule, I shoot at least three USPSA matches per month in several different states. Level 1 through 3. I can shoot local USPSA matches in Seattle on a weeknight and a local match by my house on the weekend. I have tons of shooting friends that carpool to various matches in the NW so it never costs more than $50 per match unless I stay overnight. Practice is relatively simple too. I dryfire three or four nights a week for an hour each. My entire practice kit fits in my computer bag and goes to work with me. The accessibility of USPSA is a major draw, I used to shoot Speed Steel and IDPA but I'd rather just stick to one pistol discipline.

I have access to a 1400 yard range but no one wants to actually run the PRS match. I discussed it with a guy from this area that shoots all of the national events but even he didn't want the responsibility. By comparison, since 3 Gun and Speed Steel share the bays and equipment with USPSA there is plenty of people who participate to run the local USPSA match.

Totally understandable. I am lucky enough to have all of these pistol matches available to me also and spent a couple fun years shooting IDPA and Steel Challenge every month. We also have room to practice our long range skills once a month, all within 1/2 hour of me.

Unfortunately, once I got sucked into long range rifle, I have neither the extra time nor the extra money left to shoot pistol. With my work, I’m lucky to get out once a week.

As far as matches, a few of us got together and decided that if we wanted matches, we would have to run them, so we do. It’s a bit of extra work and means that I probably spend more of my free time conducting practices and matches than shooting, but there’s a lot of local interest and somebody’s got to do it.

I competed in hunting class at 600 yards because I was having trouble finding a spot to shoot past 200. What a blast. Had a new 6.5 300 weatherby vanguard with a vortex 6-24 that I had to keep at 12 for that class. I had no clue, they had a 12 “ plate that you got one shot to see if you could compete. I raised the crosshairs about 4’ above and boom! Guy behind me says “your good” .
They then give you some practice shots and I didn’t know they had target cameras so I was counting on info from a real nice guy with what appeared to be a $100 spotting scope who really couldn’t tell where I was hitting ha ha! Well, 5 shots 5 minutes then 2 minute cool down then 5 more , barrel got hot, no clue if I was even hitting paper and I heard a couple guys standing behind me watching the recoil saying “ridiculous!” Well, all my shots were low and outside the 10” ring but most of them were inside a 5 “ circle. I’m pretty dam pleased with myself!There was an old retired guy there that was lingering around trying to drum up gunsmith type work says “would you like a muzzle brake?” I say “ hell ya! “ he says follow me! I follow him to his house and watched him thread and install a muzzle brake he built. What an experience. After watching him and listening to his explanations of trial and errors,I pay him an extra $50 over $150 quoted price. I’ll never shoot another match with that rifle since I believe it nearly had a melt down but my groups tightened enough that I went back to have an unfired 300 weatherby done. He also threaded a 6.5 284 case for me for bullet seating. He built a neck expander out of a large die size bolt and a hex bolt which he said would cost $5. I gave him an extra $100 for his service and he almost refused it. I convinced him by acknowledging the amount of time and money he had invested to gain his knowledge.He said he stopped competing with the scope competitions because he was bored with it , said once in a while he would shoot the match with iron sights. A few weeks later I heard he was in ICU and was fighting cancer. I haven’t heard how he’s doing but that competition introduced me to an amazing man.

I competed in hunting class at 600 yards because I was having trouble finding a spot to shoot past 200. What a blast. Had a new 6.5 300 weatherby vanguard with a vortex 6-24 that I had to keep at 12 for that class. I had no clue, they had a 12 “ plate that you got one shot to see if you could compete. I raised the crosshairs about 4’ above and boom! Guy behind me says “your good” .
They then give you some practice shots and I didn’t know they had target cameras so I was counting on info from a real nice guy with what appeared to be a $100 spotting scope who really couldn’t tell where I was hitting ha ha! Well, 5 shots 5 minutes then 2 minute cool down then 5 more , barrel got hot, no clue if I was even hitting paper and I heard a couple guys standing behind me watching the recoil saying “ridiculous!” Well, all my shots were low and outside the 10” ring but most of them were inside a 5 “ circle. I’m pretty dam pleased with myself!There was an old retired guy there that was lingering around trying to drum up gunsmith type work says “would you like a muzzle brake?” I say “ hell ya! “ he says follow me! I follow him to his house and watched him thread and install a muzzle brake he built. What an experience. After watching him and listening to his explanations of trial and errors,I pay him an extra $50 over $150 quoted price. I’ll never shoot another match with that rifle since I believe it nearly had a melt down but my groups tightened enough that I went back to have an unfired 300 weatherby done. He also threaded a 6.5 284 case for me for bullet seating. He built a neck expander out of a large die size bolt and a hex bolt which he said would cost $5. I gave him an extra $100 for his service and he almost refused it. I convinced him by acknowledging the amount of time and money he had invested to gain his knowledge.He said he stopped competing with the scope competitions because he was bored with it , said once in a while he would shoot the match with iron sights. A few weeks later I heard he was in ICU and was fighting cancer. I haven’t heard how he’s doing but that competition introduced me to an amazing man.
I have a hard time understanding the “macho” in the sport. To me it’s like an expensive video game and as addicting as crack cocaine

Do it.
I have only been shooting their 1 day Lonestar Shootoout and Fall Classic matches with my cousins since its a motel room and few hours drive but its a blast. I have been strongly considering the Best in Texas myself this year but Im not sure if Im up for a 2 day match being Im a cheap lazy bastard but I cant deny that it would be a hell of a lot of fun.
They do a monthly 1/2 day match as well in those months they arent hosting a big level match too.

That is the place I shot at. I jumped in feet first with a two day match. You'll have a great time. I'll be back at the one this summer.

I can’t relate. I don’t stress about important shit, much less a PRS match. I compete for fun and against myself. I don’t practice enough for a top ten finish and probably never will. I have a blast. I’m the guy whose smiling the whole time. I love love socializing with nonfucktards who are in their right minds, and I’m always glad I went.

FIG, We need to shoot a match together. Mike

Reactions: Fig
Shot my first PRS match down here in SOUTH Florida. Hit 13 out of 94 possibles. Shot a savage Axis ii, 6.5 cm, with a pst Gen 2 3-15x44, American gunner 140 grain ammo.

Great bunch of guys all around and especially on my squad.

Learned an immense amount of information on weapons, wind calling, ammo, optics, etc.
It was a long day but definitely
Looking forward to the next match.

Shot my first PRS match down here in SOUTH Florida. Hit 13 out of 94 possibles. Shot a savage Axis ii, 6.5 cm, with a pst Gen 2 3-15x44, American gunner 140 grain ammo.

Great bunch of guys all around and especially on my squad.

Learned an immense amount of information on weapons, wind calling, ammo, optics, etc.
It was a long day but definitely
Looking forward to the next match.

Heck yeah! Cool to see people jumping in with both feet.

For me, going to a match is extremely difficult. I always feel embarassed cause I am big fat and slow (but no longer last!).

However, I always feel 100% better (or most of the time) when I go. My biggest concern is I have a chicken/egg problem with long range. No one lets you shoot long range until you've shot long range. I.E. You have to "qualify" in my area to even shoot 200 and 400. That's a big hurdle for me (laugh all you want). The fear is as soon as I get that target nerves get the better of me. It takes me 2-3 USPSA stages to remember I have sights....

ALso i'd have to be shooting an AR-10 as my Bolt is down while the can is getting fixed or I find a thread protector.

I did my first match a couple days ago. Shoulda done it years ago instead of just years of load development, load testing (yayyyyyyyy 3 and 5 shot groups... and apparently if you dont post a 5x5 on here your load is invalid), and gathering DOPE in the prone out to +/- 1000 yards and deciding to change the load, and rinse/repeat.....doing nothing with it.

I finally decided to buy a ton of powder, one particular bullet, and put the rubber on the road. Best decision I've made as far as bolt gun stuff goes.

Last edited:
Shooting matches utilizes the basic long range skill set in addition to a few other skills. I was pretty accustomed to shooting stuff from a long ways from my belly, but I was not accustomed to par times or wobbly barricades.

My first match was a shit show. It didn't get last but damn close. I still had fun. There are many great people to help you learn. After the first match I practiced what I had trouble with. I was squadded with some good guys that helped me out, and in my second match my score was more than double my score in the first match.

The way to start is to go shoot a match. You will likely learn a ton and have a lot of

This is 100% my experience as well.

I did my first match a couple days ago. Shoulda done it years ago instead of just years of load development, load testing (yayyyyyyyy 3 and 5 shot groups... and apparently if you dont post a 5x5 on here your load is invalid), and gathering DOPE in the prone out to +/- 1000 yards and deciding to change the load, and rinse/repeat.....doing nothing with it.

I finally decided to buy a ton of powder, one particular bullet, and put the rubber on the road. Best decision I've made as far as bolt gun stuff goes.
Bully for you!! That’s exactly the right approach to take. I assume that you had a good time and learned a lot about what you need to learn a lot about.

Bully for you!! That’s exactly the right approach to take. I assume that you had a good time and learned a lot about what you need to learn a lot about.
Thanks. And yes, it's correct to say "I learned a lot about what I need to learn about."

Matches are often fun and nothing will make you better faster than competition. I used to be good at USPSA, Steel Challenge and Multigun. Started shooting PRS and NRL22 about a year ago. I still suck but get a little better and learn more each match. Club matches are practice, actual practice is cheating.

Shot NRL22 match at the urging of my wife. After doing that for a bit jumped right into PRS local matches, piece of cake.

Reactions: TACC
Don’t be afraid to compete most guys call their own impacts and then argue it. So call your own impacts. Go have fun!

Reactions: TACC