• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Are You Afraid? To compete.

I'm sure you've offered to coach them through it. What did they say to that?
Yep, I've even offered my gun to try it out. I've had a few friends take me up on it and really enjoy it. The rest just seem to brush it off, make up some excuse how they don't want to shoot off a barricade cuz they still don't feel ready enough and need more practice on the zero board. At that point I pretty much give up and just do my own thing. Funniest part is they like watching me run barricade drills and think its cool....

Reactions: 308pirate
Great advice which i'll have to finish scrolling through. Recently attended matches and getting my ass kicked. Learning a lot and it's great.

Reactions: 308pirate
Competition makes you better period. I have always shot my best in a squad of shooters much better than me. That's how you get better at anything is doing it with someone better at it than you.

Reactions: eddie102870
I have only shot one match and signed up for my second in a week. Still nervous but after my range trip today I feel more confident. Hopefully didn’t jinx myself. Everyone has been really supportive.
When I've gotten out and put like 50 rounds or so down range before the match I do my best. Once your zero is confirmed and your dope is true, just practice as much positional stuff as possible. Off your bag, your pack, tripod, sitting, standing etc. I also rehearse dropping my mag and putting in my chamber flag after a string, I often forget that.

Agreed! I've got friends who just ask me to come to the range to plink away at clays or cans at 100 yards. I just can't do it. I need some kind of goal, or some sort of trackable performance metric like you say.

I also have friends that say they wanna shoot long range but I've taken them to my range (steel out to 1000 yards) and they spend 90% of their time shooting at the 100 yard zero board or steel within 200 yards from a bench. When I tell them to try shooting off the barricade or at some further targets, they literally act scared and say that they "aren't ready for that yet". It's not even competition, but they're literally afraid to shoot something out of their comfort zone. Why? I don't know. People care way too much about what other people think.

So what if they miss? They'll learn more missing out at 500 yards from a barricade than you will hitting a paper target at 100 from a bench.
Same here. I have a range, I've tried to get the dozen or more guys I know personally to come shoot. It's like if it's anything other than prone their OUT. And don't even talk about timing or keeping score. Nice rifles with FFP MIL scopes and they just won't come shoot. If I didn't enjoy the time the 3-4 actually show up, I'd gather my steel up and not have to mow, weedeat, and brush hog.

Reactions: lash
When I've gotten out and put like 50 rounds or so down range before the match I do my best. Once your zero is confirmed and your dope is true, just practice as much positional stuff as possible. Off your bag, your pack, tripod, sitting, standing etc. I also rehearse dropping my mag and putting in my chamber flag after a string, I often forget that.
Exactly!!! I’m lucky with my range/club that it’s the same place that match is next week. I wanted to get out a week before to help... and I went through and practiced on 6+ props today... plus got solid dope out to 1000+... So I agree 100% that getting out before can help with the jitters. Might have to do some more dry fire as well...

Same here. I have a range, I've tried to get the dozen or more guys I know personally to come shoot. It's like if it's anything other than prone their OUT. And don't even talk about timing or keeping score. Nice rifles with FFP MIL scopes and they just won't come shoot. If I didn't enjoy the time the 3-4 actually show up, I'd gather my steel up and not have to mow, weedeat, and brush hog.
I'll go

ALL DAY!

Reactions: PAYDIRT
In a couple of week my club is having the soda pop challenge which I signed up for , have to shoot 16oz pop bottles at 100,200,300,400,500 and 600yds if you miss you're done.. No trophy or anything just bragging rights..

That sound fucking cool, I have to admit.

Which club, where?

Reactions: theLBC
In a couple of week my club is having the soda pop challenge which I signed up for , have to shoot 16oz pop bottles at 100,200,300,400,500 and 600yds if you miss you're done.. No trophy or anything just bragging rights..
We used to have a $5 cold bore shot at a beer can @ 555. The pot would carry over if nobody hit it.

Reactions: adubeau and theLBC
so i already commented here about how my knees and back would limit my participation to only shooting from one spot, if i could get away for half a day or more. but the bottle thing sounds like fun for sure.
i think "pressure", whether from time or just the idea of competing, makes a big difference.
i never golf anymore, but i can make a straight 6' putt almost every time, but out $500 on it and it gets way fucking harder.

Reactions: adubeau
Me and my dad shot our 4th match together on Saturday. There is nothing more fun! It’s impossible for me to understand why some people poopoo on competing. That’s fine; have fun going to the range by yourself and shooting only from the bench or prone. You only have to compete against yourself, and you’ll be a better rifleman for it. Odds are you’ll meet some pretty cool people too. I’ve got a group of great friends from shooting local matches the last couple years; we have a running group text and we’re talking every other day at a minimum about the latest podcast or laughing at some hilarious meme. If you’re too afraid to put your ego aside and go shoot a match, I feel sorry for you.

I beat my Dad by a few points for the second time. He finished ahead of me in the first two matches we’ve shot together. He keeps telling me he’s old and can’t see anymore but he shoots and moves pretty well for being in his 60s, haha.
B0F48266-FF42-4DE0-A9FB-5E58BDB3E311.jpeg

Last edited:
I would add that all of that fear/angst you described is common but avoidable. I haven’t shot a lot of matches but I used to play a lot of golf tournaments and that experience/mentality was invaluable at my first match. Go in realizing that no one cares if you bomb a stage. No one cares if you shoot the wrong target. No one cares if your mag falls out half way through. It will feel like everyone is “watching”.....they aren’t. They are thinking about their own match and what they are doing/going to do. If you can accept all of that as fact the nerves completely go away. Be SAFE and be humble everyone will make you feel right at home after the first stage.

i learned about that in a teen phycology study on peer pressure and it really helped me.

Its called the Spotlight Effect.

Reactions: lash
Admittedly, haven't read the entire thread. But I shot my first match in May and have been doing monthlies at CCC in Navasota, TX since. Once everyone in my squad knew I was new I was getting tons of tips and everyone wanting to lend me whatever to shoot a stage--and this has been every month since I started.

One big thing for me is if you felt like you're running out of fun things to do at the range, this will open a whole new world of personal challenges and give some meaning to range trips.

We met at the ranch couple weeks ago. You talked to me about going to matches and encouraged me to go and not think so much about "the gear race" It's good to encourage new shooter to at least try it. I decided I want to get started either this year or next.

We met at the ranch couple weeks ago. You talked to me about going to matches and encouraged me to go and not think so much about "the gear race" It's good to encourage new shooter to at least try it. I decided I want to get started either this year or next.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! I hope to see you out there sometime

Reactions: LANCER
a good gas gun match at Arena in Blakely this coming saturday and sunday. Quantified Performance. 2 day match