• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Area 419 Arcalock clamp, and MDT ACC dovetail

Stoweit

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 19, 2017
    New England
    Purchased an Arcalock clamp for my bipod and installed Arcalock clamp and barrier stop. Clamp says it works with either Arcalock rail or RRS rail, MDT says rail is RRS compatible. with the three pins removed clamp won't even tightened down, with pins in it won't stay in place once pressure is applied. Even though clamp is supposed to work with either, do I need to get Arcalock rail, or is it possible MDT Arca rail built into chassis is out of spec? Thoughts?

Reactions: Steveid
    Since you haven’t gotten a response yet I will but not sure how much help my info will be.

I don’t know about an MDT but I have the MPA and I just got the area419 clamp. On the MPA with the pins in the clamp holds tight as far as I can tell, I’ve only tested it in the house but I hit on it and pulled on it pretty good. I left the pins in for now because I have an element that I put the area 419 universal rail on and the pins work with it and I wanted to see how it would hold with the pins in if I was switching bi-pods between the two.

So don’t know if that helps much but the clamp will hold on dovetail for MPA with the pins still in.

I experienced this as well but don’t give up on area 419, they are a fantastic company. That being said the clamp does not fit “all” arca, as some companies such as KRG or RRS have the advertised 1.5” width, the dovetail seems to fluctuate slightly from brand to brand. Unfortunately I had to return the clamp and buy a RRS clamp (luckily found one all the way in Australia). This is something they are no doubt working on and I would highly recommend getting ahold of them to discuss the issue.

As a side note, as somebody who uses a friction style clamp to secure my bipod to my KRG arca rail, I will suggest looking into Area 419’s locking arca rail. I have experienced my bipod moving down the rail after prolonged strings of fire and it can be frustrating at times. After testing the full Area 419 arca lock system, it is significantly better at holding the barricade stop to whatever you connect to it or keeping your bipod in place. I am not sponsored or paid by Area 419, they just had amazing customer service dealing with this same issue with me and most likely paid more in shipping than what I paid for the part as they expedited me another to have to send that one back as well. Sorry you have the same misfortune of a part not fitting as advertised.

Reactions: Subwrx300
    Thanks for your help, I have a bunch of 419 stuff that has been bomber. Left a voice mail today, but haven't heard back yet.
    Wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong.

Not an exact comparison but I have a 419 Railchanger that worked fine on the MDT dovetail. Not sure the clamp is the same as the Arcalock system but I did not have any issues with lockup.

Reactions: gnochi
    My 419 clamp needs the pins in to clamp an MPA rail and spigot. It eats the chassis up pretty fast but holds.
    If 419 would give the clamp just a little more travel we would not need the finish scarring pins.

Just Browsing, Thank’s. 419 just called me back, The clamp I have is out of spec, they are sending a new one as soon as they come in. Great CS
    I'm glad it's getting worked out for you. Great CS has been my experience when dealing with Area419.

No idea, my clamp full closed off the rail measured 1.59" RRS rail measures 1.49. Seems the clamp I got was approximately .10 out of spec.
    Not all arca rails are the same, MDT says they use RRS rail spec of 1.5", so my chassis should work with RRS arca style clamps, which is what Area 419 is supposed to work with. I'm sure Area 419 will make it right, every other product I have from them is awesome, and so far CS is top notch. I don't think you would want to use the Arcalock clamp with the pins in on a non Arcalock rail, as I'm sure it will tear it up.

Sorry to hear that you've run into some issues and let our C/S team know about the potentially out of spec dovetail on the chassis too! You can always find us at mddtac.com and submit a support ticket by following this link or giving us a call at 1-604-393-0800!

Again, not sure if it's your chassis or the clamp by skimming through the comments, but let us know how we can help.

Spoke with Area419 and sounded like it was clamp. MDT rail was 1.49 which is in spec for an RRS Arca Rail I believe. Thanks for checking.

Spoke with Area419 and sounded like it was clamp. MDT rail was 1.49 which is in spec for an RRS Arca Rail I believe. Thanks for checking.

Fair enough and good to keep in mind that the width isn't the only thing controlled by the RRS sepc. We have seen some clamps on the tighter side not clamp on our integral dovetail due to cerakote thickness. However, of the clamp is off my 0.010" then that's a whole different issue.

Reactions: kentuckyMarksman
    Josh, was the cerakote too thick to let the clamp work. With this clamp tightened all the way you can just slide it back and forth, with almost no pressure.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MDT_Josh
    I know this is an old thread, but I figured I'd add to it since it helped me.

I purchased a 12" ARCA rail from Nelson's Precision Manufacturing. I then purchased an Atlas CAL with Area 419 ARCA clamp from a user here. When I got the bipod in the mail, I mounted it up and it very easily slid on my rail when clamped all the way down. Like - easily flopped from front to back on the rail just by tiling the rifle.

I took some measurements and in the closed position the clamp measured 1.59" across at its widest point. The narrow points of the clamp's jaws measured 1.31" across. This clamp worked for the previous owner on several various ARCA rails, but failed to successfully clamp onto the Nelson's rail which measures 1.50" at its widest point.

I reached out to Area 419 support (as well as Nelson's but since their rail measured out to the correct RRS specs, I didn't see the need to request a replacement from them.) and provided them video of the clamp sliding around as well as the measurements I took. They promptly offered a replacement and the new clamp locks onto the rail perfectly. The replacement clamp closes down to 1.56" at the widest point and 1.29" at the narrow point.

Huge thumbs up for both companies. I'm extremely impressed with Area 419's customer service. If anyone else out there is having issues with a clamp sliding, take some measurements. If the rail is thinner than 1.5" wide or if the clamp doesn't close to 1.56", one of them is out of spec.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Stoweit
    Had the same issue a while ago, 419 sent new clamps without even seeing the out of spec clamps. Replacements work perfect. 419 are great, more companies should work to have CS at this level.

Reactions: Bcamos