• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

area 419 CZ 457 or Vudoo

mjsand44

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2017
Canada
I was looking at putting a .22 trainer together and wondered what people like between the area 419 CZ457 and the Voodoo. I was wondering how the Tikki in a KRG Bravo would do? Is it worth the extra cash to step up?
Thanks

I was looking at putting a .22 trainer together and wondered what people like between the area 419 CZ457 and the Voodoo. I was wondering how the Tikki in a KRG Bravo would do? Is it worth the extra cash to step up?
Thanks

Make your trainer as similar to your center fire if that's what you're training for.

Vudoo let's you basically mimic everything of a R700 platform.

I run a tikka t3x and t1x in bravos to match my training ergos. Same scopes same lop. Same comb height.

What’s your goal and is budget important (can you afford whatever rifle you want AND ammo/training without having to pick one over the other)?

As others have asked what is your centerfire rifle. Mine is a Tikka T3x in a Bravo and I have a matching Tikka T1x in a Bravo. I absolutely love both rifles. One thing I will say and it pains me to admit this is I enjoy shooting my 22 more than my 6.5. I enjoy shooting it more than any of my other rifles in fact. I don’t think about the cost of the ammo or the time to reload it. I don’t need to worry about stopping to let the barrel cool every 10 or so rounds. Your fundamentals are also a lot more important than you may think on a 22 simply due to the slower velocity. Any wind is magnified as well which is good training.

My goal is to build a trainer to practice my fundamentals. I have 200 yards behind my house. I shoot CCI sub-sonic for the terrible ballistics to emulate longer ranges. I can only make it to the centerfire range twice a month. As far as price, I want to buy the best value for my time and training. I currently shoot MPA and McMillan stocks in my centerfire rifles, so stock or chassis is not an issue. I have a lonely NF that I can screw on so my scope will be the same as my hunting and comp rifles. If I can't shoot the difference the Tikka T1X would be fine. But if the CZ or voodoo are much better I would rather wait and buy the right rifle. Money is an object, but I have an old Anschutz that shoots really well but it's too old to get a stock or chassis to drop in. I will shoot what I have until I get the right equipment. The CZ or the voodoo will just take me longer to save for.

If you already have a r700 mpa then the vudoo isn't going to be that bad since you can just reuse your chassis.

Just undo the action screws and drop the vudoo in.

$1800 for a barreled action.

If you want your own dedicated trainer then you could buy another mpa for $925. I think the Tikka t3 inlet should work. You would need to call and see.

Tikka t1x for 450$. New heavier barrel for it at $350.

Comes out pretty much the same price. If you were okay swapping your chassis around the vudoo will perform better.

The cz457 route is basically the same overall price as well. 1900 for an mpa cz457.

Accuracy wise my Tikka didn't do 2" groups at 200 but I don't need it to either. Can hit a 4" gong like 80% of the time with cheap ammo. Perfectly fine to practice positional shooting and getting on sight.

Reactions: mjsand44
Thanks
Hello MJ, I can't speak to the 419 457 but I can tell you that my 457 MTR shoots nearly as well or as well as my Vudoo. These are old photos and I didn't shoot these with the tuner on. The 457 cost me about 750.00 and the Vudoo plus the MDT LXS chassis and a Trigger Tech Diamond trigger set at 6 oz. was about 3300.00. The 457 is stock except for a Yo Dave trigger spring kit that brings the trigger down to a crisp 9 oz. and an AREA 419 bolt knob. I would never even consider putting on a new bbl. on the CZ because she shoots great ! The shot outside of the dime was my fault.
Currently I have my Trijicon 5-50x56 scope on the CZ and that is very nice as well. 1800.00 from B&H photo. They have a 30 day return policy. I would recommend the AREA 419 scope rail and their bolt knob is a MUST have item.

Both guns are about six months old now and they are all set up. Minus the scope, I think I have
1230.0 into the CZ and 4460.00 into the Vudoo. Keeping in mind that I have 20 mags for her and a real Atlas bi-pod and she is totally loaded with weights now. In fact, with scope she is 18 lbs. I went all out on my Vudoo as it will be a one time / lifetime purchase. BTW.... they have a lifetime warranty
unlike all of my other guns.

If you manage your hold and trigger control, I can hardly imagine that the CZ would fall short of your needs. BTW..... I shoot SK red out of everything I own. It is 65.00 a brick from Target Sports USA.

Hope this helps....

Attachments

• DSC09854.JPG
    DSC09854.JPG
    407.7 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC09891.JPG
    DSC09891.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC09892.JPG
    DSC09892.JPG
    342.4 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC09941.JPG
    DSC09941.JPG
    463.8 KB · Views: 139
  • DSC09905.JPG
    DSC09905.JPG
    643.7 KB · Views: 138
Hello MJ, I can't speak to the 419 457 but I can tell you that my 457 MTR shoots nearly as well or as well as my Vudoo. These are old photos and I didn't shoot these with the tuner on. The 457 cost me about 750.00 and the Vudoo plus the MDT LXS chassis and a Trigger Tech Diamond trigger set at 6 oz. was about 3300.00. The 457 is stock except for a Yo Dave trigger spring kit that brings the trigger down to a crisp 9 oz. and an AREA 419 bolt knob. I would never even consider putting on a new bbl. on the CZ because she shoots great ! The shot outside of the dime was my fault.
Currently I have my Trijicon 5-50x56 scope on the CZ and that is very nice as well. 1800.00 from B&H photo. They have a 30 day return policy. I would recommend the AREA 419 scope rail and their bolt knob is a MUST have item.

Both guns are about six months old now and they are all set up. Minus the scope, I think I have
1230.0 into the CZ and 4460.00 into the Vudoo. Keeping in mind that I have 20 mags for her and a real Atlas bi-pod and she is totally loaded with weights now. In fact, with scope she is 18 lbs. I went all out on my Vudoo as it will be a one time / lifetime purchase. BTW.... they have a lifetime warranty
unlike all of my other guns.

If you manage your hold and trigger control, I can hardly imagine that the CZ would fall short of your needs. BTW..... I shoot SK red out of everything I own. It is 65.00 a brick from Target Sports USA.

Hope this helps....
Thank you for your time!

Hello MJ,
This is the AREA 419 bolt knob. I had my doubts about it because of its peculiar shape but after a very short time it felt fabulous and exactly what the CZ needed. I would go so far as to say, that if you bought it and didn't like it, I would pay for it.

Attachments

• DSC09882.JPG
    DSC09882.JPG
    503.9 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC09883.JPG
    DSC09883.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC09884.JPG
    DSC09884.JPG
    367.6 KB · Views: 51
Th
Hello MJ,
This is the AREA 419 bolt knob. I had my doubts about it because of its peculiar shape but after a very short time it felt fabulous and exactly what the CZ needed. I would go so far as to say, that if you bought it and didn't like it, I would pay for it.
at does look slick. That’s about as good of endorsement as you can give. I will check them out. Thanks for taking the time to respond and post pictures.

Th

at does look slick. That’s about as good of endorsement as you can give. I will check them out. Thanks for taking the time to respond and post pictures.
As I recall, I applied a little heat and used an old leather belt to wrap around the ball that comes on the CZ and used some Vise-Grips to unwind the ball. For reassembly, I used some low strength purple Loctite.
I only screwed it on enough to cover the threads on the bolt. That gave me the best leverage and feel.
I'm going to look into getting a CZ Royal. Here are two of my Annies. They both have the 5098 6 oz. triggers.
The top one was 1650.00 and the lower, 1150.00. A ten round magazine is about 100.00 as I recall and the mag release just sucks to operate. They both have good fit and finish except for the cheap bent sheet metal trigger guard. the last photo is of the much nicer CZ 457 MTR guard. If I could go back in time, I would not
both of them and very likely neither of them. Another issue is the action itself. It does not operate in a fluid motion. And the butt plates are hard plastic that slides all over my shoulder. I also replaced the plastic round bolt knobs with DIP knobs. And DIP just mad some special scope rails to accommodate these 64 actions. ( not shown in these old photos )

If you happen to run across a vendor of the CZ Royal, please let me know.

All my best
Shawn Carroll

Attachments

• DSC09765.JPG
    DSC09765.JPG
    399.1 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC09893.JPG
    DSC09893.JPG
    449.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC09896.JPG
    DSC09896.JPG
    346.9 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC09945.JPG
    DSC09945.JPG
    441.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC09948.JPG
    DSC09948.JPG
    298.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC09946.JPG
    DSC09946.JPG
    487.8 KB · Views: 50
Th

Hello MJ,
What did you decide on your rifle? I'm still loving my near stock CZ 457!
Shawn