• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Argentino Mauser question

sled_mack

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2008
Slatington, PA
I know nothing about mausers. A friend inherited one. Argentino model 1891. It has matching serial numbers on action, barrel, and stock, so it appears all original. No idea when or where it was made.

A quick search indicates that they were all chambered in 7.65x53. Is this correct?

A local gun shop told him he could just use 308 win in the rifle if he can’t find the 7.65 ammo. Looking at the drawings for each in a reloading manual, I’m not sure that is safe? I wouldn’t try it myself. Is the gun shop right?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Once upon a time my mother purchased me an old, bolt action, black powder rifle for Christmas (I had asked for an old, none shooter double barrel shotgun). So, figuring I might actually want to shoot it, i went to the “gentleman” who sold her this rifle and asked if he was sure it was a Mauser and fired an 11mm Mauser round. He became quite belligerent. So, not being able to afford the dies, brass, bullet mold anyway, I put the thing up in a closet and there it sat for decades until I made a rack for it and hung it up in our den.

The rifle, as I was to learn was a Bertram Vittali, not the slightest relationship to Mauser and fired an 11.3x50R Beaumont M71 round that did not even resemble the 11.15x60Rmm Mauser.

The point, if it says 7.65 Mauser, firing a .311 sized bullet in a rifle probably safe to no more than 40,000PSI, it means fire a 7.65 Mauser. The idiot who says its safe to fire a .308/7.62NATO, firing rounds that generate between 55,000 and 60,00 PSI should be relieved of his duties as a person who deals with Firearms. That is of course, if HE (not you!) could get the .308 to actually headspace.

Find another gunshop

441524DA-6925-4935-953E-2E5F927C2758.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 458win
Take it to a gun smith to be inspected for everything. You will know the caliber it is made for and if it is safe to fire.

As a follow up, get the new gunshop/smith to do a chamber cast and also slug the bore. If you still want to shoot it, and it is actually a 7.65 Mauser, cases can be made from .30-06 cases, bullets for the .303 British round are still available and are the correct size and weight, and reliable loading data is available using powders that are still being sold. Probably won’t be cheap.

Please ditch the fellow who said use .308 rounds.

Thanks.

I already suggested he sell it and buy a modern rifle in a modern chambering. But his dad hunted with it 60 plus years ago, so it has some sentimental value to him.

He can’t find any markings on it indicating the chambering. Maybe that wasn’t done 100 plus years ago?

Now the problem is that I don’t know a gunsmith near him. And he’s cheap, so looking for free advice. I told him it won’t be cheap if he blows it up and ends up in the emergency room.

Thanks

Then, he needs to hang it up on the wall and admire it. Blowing up firearms is not just a personal thing. Shrapnel does not discriminate.

You’ve done your best, just stand back, way back, on the day he decides to test fire it.

Then, he needs to hang it up on the wall and admire it. Blowing up firearms is not just a personal thing. Shrapnel does not discriminate.

You’ve done your best, just stand back, way back, on the day he decides to test fire it.
I can agree with this 100000%. I’m so past saving people from themselves at this point in my life I just let them learn their own lessons. If he wants to be cheap with something that involves controlled explosions near his central processing unit then he needs to do that alone. Seriously. If it all goes well this time it eventually won’t and there is no need being the one who gets fucked up because someone else didn’t want to pay attention to the details. I’m not kidding in the slightest. There are things to be cheap with, like canned chili or some such. Firearms ain’t it.

I can guarantee that there is about 0.00001% chance that it is something other than 7.65x53. DO NOT fire .308 Winchester in this. The barrels on those are nominally 0.312” in the grooves but can be as much as 0.318”. The best candidate for a mould is the Lyman 314299 (not the 311299). The best load to start with will be the aforementioned 314299 sized .314” with a Hornady gas check, the .308 gas checks work fine, over 10 grs. of Unique. If the bore is shiny and the rifle is in good condition otherwise, just shoot it. You may find that this was the hoot you were looking for.

ETA: These rifles were made by Ludwig Lowe or DWM. Also, brass and dies are readily available.

Last edited: