• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arizona pistol training?

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    Can anyone recommend a good place to get ccw training from and possibly later take a few pistol training classes. Preferably in the NW Phoenix Valley area.

I know there are dozens of spots to get training and even more instructors... However I've heard all the nightmares of instructors that have no idea what they are talking about. Im looking for a recommendation to an organization or instructor that knows what they are doing.

My wife and I were thinking about using these guys for our ccw class.

AZ CCW | ARIZONA CCW CLASS

Thanks!

Really?
    As an alumnus of Gunsite I can recommend them for any firearms training. It is not right up the road but not too far from your area.

I know they are big on rifle training, but I didn't think they did pistol as well. I'll look into it, with Cory's rep here I would be confident taking any class from them.

I think for my CCW I would prefer to stay in the valley however...

Just checked and they have ccw classes but it isn't until August, I was hoping to square it away this week! Also, many of his classes are 3 to 7 full days. As much as I would love to do that, my current schedule wouldn't really allow it.

Last edited:
    I would give their pistol training high marks. The head instructor for my class, Mike Hughes, was killed in a plane crash a few months back but they have others who do a good job too. In a way it is still the Colonel's house. The staff still pays his teaching great respect but they do teach modern technique. Sorry if that statement hurts any Cooper fan's feelings.

Are you looking for the bare minimum to meet DPS' requirements, or real, in-depth training?

I just ended up scheduling a private class with Glen at independance training for next week. Its an all day CCW class combined with basic pistol training (150 COF). That works out well, since I was hoping for a bit more than just the minimum. I'll let you know how it goes.

Get your CCW in PHX........... Then register for a 250 Pistol Class at Gunsite!! I promise you, after your initial training in the 250 class, You'll want to go back for more!!
    Gunsite Alumni.. 250,350 (3x), 499, ATP & CQP