• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Arken EP5 is here (pics)

I shot a box test today if anybody is interested in seeing pictures.

I was only able to dial up 10 mils, and right 5/left 5, and shot 3-shot groups cuz I was racing daylight.

Shots grouped at original POA.

I have an eight-foot piece of carboard, and I'll shoot it again when I have more light and more time.

I shot a box test today if anybody is interested in seeing pictures.

I was only able to dial up 10 mils, and right 5/left 5, and shot 3-shot groups cuz I was racing daylight.

Shots grouped at original POA.

I have an eight-foot piece of carboard, and I'll shoot it again when I have more light and more time.
Do it!

OK.

I'm certain a better shooter with a better load would have gotten better results--but it is what it is.

Quick and Dirty Ladder Test:

BOX OVERVIEW by Eight Ring

I fouled/warmed the bore with 5 shots, aiming at the center/bottom of the red bar on the Champion target.

Then I followed with 5 shots at lower left diamond, to estalish POA/POI.

Then I shot the center diamond once, and began to dial.

Note the high/right bias of the initial POA/POI registration, and adjust tape measure results accordingly.

1 by Eight Ring

5 fouling shots
2 by Eight Ring

Establish POI baseline

3 by Eight Ring

First shot to Box Test POA

4 by Eight Ring

Dial 10 MILs (36 inches at 100 yards)

5 by Eight Ring

5A by Eight Ring

Dial Left 4.5 MILs (16.2 inches at 100 yards)

6 by Eight Ring

6A by Eight Ring

Dial Right 9 MIILs (32.4 inches at 100 yards/16.2 inches right of center line)

7 by Eight Ring

Right 5 MILS by Eight Ring

Dial Left 4.5 MILs (back to center line), Down 5 MILs (18 inches at 100 yards)

8 by Eight Ring

8A by Eight Ring

Dial Down 5 MILs to original POA, shoot 3 for group

Original/First shot

4 by Eight Ring

1st Shot marked black

9 by Eight Ring

BOX OVERVIEW by Eight Ring

Test notes: By the time I got to the range to shoot the box test the light was fading.

Given the fading light and hurried test if I had to grade my marksmanship I would rate it a B.

I'd say that a better shooter would have gotten more consistent results.

Also, I was unable to lay hands on my laser rangefinder as I was scrambling to get out the door. I have to confirm the true distance at the range as 100 yards. I will contact the range chairman and inquire/confirm.

I plan on shooting another/better box test in better light when I am not so rushed.

All the best.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Looking at the pictures, I realized I fucked up the math/captions on the Right and Left MILs.

I didn't dial 5 MILs Right and Left. That would have been 18 inches--which was off the brown paper.

I only dialed 4.5 MILs, which is 16.2 inches at 100 yards--which completely changes the interpretation of the data.

With a mediocre talent and mediocre ammo I'd say the scope tracked like a champ.

Sorry for the confusion/misinformation.

It was a long day, and I was pretty tired.

All the best.

Last edited:
I posted this follow-up on AR15.com. and though you guys might be interested in an update.

Yesterday was real cold (like 20 degrees), but it was sunny and bright, and I had enough time/daylight to slow down and concentrate, and practice better breath control and natural point of aim. It absolutely showed up in the groups--which give a much more precise idea of where the scope was tracking. There is some red meat for the haters, though--tracking got flaky to the right at 15 MILs. This is something I will explore after I load some more ammo (and my nuts have thawed).

NOTE: Right And Left tracking tests on both days resulted in what appeared (I think erroneously) to be a right hand bias in the tracking. After consideration, I went back and measured both sets of R/L tracking tests. The groups are almost exactly 9 MILs apart in both tests. I noted that my measurement were taken from a theoretical center line, not from the center of the 10 MIL/15 MIL UP groups impacts, which on both days also showed an apparent RH bias.

On reflection, I'd say that the most likely answer to consistent POI bias on 2 separate targets is that the scope is canted in the mount.

Here is the update I posted at AR15.com:

I had a chance today to do some more testing. I used a bigger sheet of cardboard, and was able to dial up 10 and 15 MILs, then Right 4.5 and Left 4.5.

I was able to replicate (and explore) the flaky behavior of the Right windage, and even induce some erratic tracking at 15 MILs up and 4.5 MILs Right, which I want to explore some more, just for my own curiosity. It doesn't alter my perception of the scope at all--I did not buy this scope to shoot at 600 yards in a 30 mph crosswind while dialing corrections--but (that being said) don't believe anybody who is telling you that you are getting a Razor Gen 3 for $500, because you are just not. That is not a knock on ARKEN, I am very impressed with what ARKEN is offering here, seriously, what the fuck, dude--this scope costs $550 , $400 if you subtract the cost of the free accessories, you are getting a damn good piece of gear for the money spent, and maybe even for twice the money. But again--be realistic. Don't buy the thing and send it back wanting a refund whining like a cunt that the windage gets flaky at 15 MILs when the erector hardware is at a hard stop bumping up against the fucking turret housing. I mean--no shit.

I'll post a couple pics of what pleased the shit out of me after a long shooting session in 20 degree weather.

Box Test To 15 MILs by Eight Ring

After wrapping up the box test there was still some ammo left so, I tested return-to-zero--dialing UP 15, Right 4.5, Left 4.5, Down 15, and broke a shot.

Return To Zero From 15 MIls by Eight Ring

I thought it was a fluke, so I did it again--UP 15, Right 4.5, Left 4.5, Down 15, and broke another shot.

So I did it again by Eight Ring

What can I say--it kinda felt like a gift after freezing my nuts off in 20 degree weather all afternoon.

Below are some pics documenting the tracking data. I still have not confirmed that the range is 100 yards, but I'd guess it is close to.

10 MILs is 36 inches at 100 yards. There are 6 shots recorded. 3 shots on the way up, then I went to 15 (Up 5 Mils), then Right 4.5, then Left 9 (4.5 to center, 4.5 Left), then Right 4.5 (to center), then Down 5 (to 10 MILs elevation)--then added 3 shots to the first group.

10 MILs 6 shots by Eight Ring

15 MILs is 54 inches. Yes that's 3 shots. Apparently my rifle likes cold ammo and 20 degree weather.

15 MILs Elevation by Eight Ring

All told it was a good day, and I am a happy camper.

Ah--as I review the post the pics of the Right and Left tracking did not attach. I will get those posted as well.

ETA: Right/Left Tracking data:

15 MILS LEFT AND RIGHT by Eight Ring

The wind was gusty, so I shot quickly because I was afraid the target might blow down.

The group was wide(r) right than 4.5 MILs, I figured it was the wind gusts, and I re-shot. Same results.

RIGHT 4 pt 5 MILS by Eight Ring

2nd group/3 shots at 15 MILS elevation/4.5 MILS RIGHT:

Right 4 And A Half MILs by Eight Ring

And that group tracked MORE than 16.2" RIGHT, and it did so consistently.

4.5 MILS LEFT/15 MILS elevation:

LEFT 4 And A Half MILs by Eight Ring

The 4.5 MILs Left group tracked shy of 16.2" left. Interesting.

I will shoot some more tests soon closer to the optical midline, to see how Left/Right tracking does there.

All the best.

Last edited:
Very nice!
Thanks for the unbiased test. I wonder if the 15mil and right error is like you said, a circumstance of the mechanism and the turret housing or a one off singularity of your particular scope. Hopefully someone can test it to confirm with theirs.
Finally getting some good data on these. Thanks again.

Reactions: FuhQ
Very nice!
Thanks for the unbiased test. I wonder if the 15mil and right error is like you said, a circumstance of the mechanism and the turret housing or a one off singularity of your particular scope. Hopefully someone can test it to confirm with theirs.
Finally getting some good data on these. Thanks again.
My scope is a sample size of 1--I'd say not much can be inferred about the optics line, but if you WANT to go hunting flaws, then get out on the bleeding edge of turret travel. The repeatable return-to-zero pictures speak for themselves. If you need a scope that will dial perfect corrections in a 30 mph cross wind at 500 yards, hey, break open your piggie bank and go shopping.

As for me--I'm delighted with the scope.

It looks like your hits when down 15 mils is hitting to the right. I don't know if you measured wind from shot center in center group, or from your drawn line. Either way, there could be minor errors introduced, from the following: reticle and or target is not plumb, or measured from drawn line but you are hitting right of the line, or measured from center of hits but a fluke of shooting caused center group to be right of normal, or the erector set has some small bias to one side. Still all very acceptable accuracy if you ask me.

Reactions: FuhQ and Gohring65
My scope is a sample size of 1--I'd say not much can be inferred about the optics line, but if you WANT to go hunting flaws, then get out on the bleeding edge of turret travel. The repeatable return-to-zero pictures speak for themselves. If you need a scope that will dial perfect corrections in a 30 mph cross wind at 500 yards, hey, break open your piggie bank and go shopping.

As for me--I'm delighted with the scope.
I’m pretty happy with the sh4 and ep4 so far. I just like thorough test, that’s all. Wasn’t trying to swipe at you or the scope. I’m honestly tired of the glass quality threads and am more interested in the mechanics and durability. We all know we can see out of it. Now let’s get down to the nuts and bolts.
I thought you did a pretty thorough test.

Last edited:
I’m pretty happy with the sh4 and ep4 so far. I just like thorough test, that’s all. Wasn’t trying to swipe at you or the scope.
I thought you did a pretty thorough test.
No, no worries. I'm looking forward to benchmarks from a shooter WAY more knowledgeable/skilled than myself. I'm still learning to scrupulously practice breath control and natural point of aim. My real worry is posting info which (owing to my own failures?) unfairly tars ARKEN.

Last edited:
No, no worries. I'm looking forward to benchmarks from a shooter WAY more knowledgeable/skilled than myself. I'm still learning to scrupulously practice breath control and natural point of aim. My real worry is posting info which (owing to my own failures unfairly tars) ARKEN.
Gotch ya, I felt like you were taking a defensive stance, and I completely understand that based on the other threads. They’ve gotten pretty brutal on both sides.
I wanted to clarify I wasn’t being aggressive or negative, I truly enjoy the technical data, that’s really all that matters to me. Keep ‘em coming. I’ll have some stuff to add this summer across all of the models. I’m no expert, but my quest for hard data will hopefully be reflected in my thoughts, as yours was. Good review in my opinion.

It looks like your hits when down 15 mils is hitting to the right. I don't know if you measured wind from shot center in center group, or from your drawn line. Either way, there could be minor errors introduced, from the following: reticle and or target is not plumb, or measured from drawn line but you are hitting right of the line, or measured from center of hits but a fluke of shooting caused center group to be right of normal, or the erector set has some small bias to one side. Still all very acceptable accuracy if you ask me.

I measured from the magic marker plumb line.

Hanging an 8-foot cardboard target by myself was an absolute goat-rope worthy of the 3 Stooges (lol).

I did the best I could with a POS level, and got it pretty fricken close. After the test I checked with a plumb bob, and yes, there was a bit of deviation from true vertical, BUT the Champion grid target was squared to the black center line with a 4 foot drywall square.

If the center line was a couple degrees out of true verticle, would it make a difference if the scope reticle was square to the Champion target and center line?

Lining up the shots I used the fat red bars on the Champion target, running my eye to all 4 bars before breaking trigger.

Last edited:
Reactions: AXEFORCE6
Gotch ya, I felt like you were taking a defensive stance, and I completely understand that based on the other threads. They’ve gotten pretty brutal on both sides.
I wanted to clarify I wasn’t being aggressive or negative, I truly enjoy the technical data, that’s really all that matters to me. Keep ‘em coming. I’ll have some stuff to add this summer across all of the models. I’m no expert, but my quest for hard data will hopefully be reflected in my thoughts, as yours was. Good review in my opinion.

No worries, sir. Tone is very hard to discern in the written word, I am exploring this scope that I bought (and am loving), trying to create valid data, and not getting into shit-flinging fights. I am agnostic in the flame wars surrounding ARKEN--I refuse to take part--and honest data should speak for itself.

No worries, sir. Tone is very hard to discern in the written word, I am exploring this scope that I bought (and am loving), trying to create valid data, and not getting into shit-flinging fights. I am agnostic in the flame wars surrounding ARKEN--I refuse to take part--and honest data should speak for itself.
Completely agree. And understandable..

Laying in bed last night the logic/geometry of your remark came to me. Sorry to be slow on the uptake--but you are exactly right. I went back and measured the spread of right and left groups from both days targets--and they are the same. Both groups are 9 MILs apart. Given the right-hand bias in both day's tests, the likely answer is that there is cant in my scope from the mounting job.

I'm such a dope (lol).

Last edited:
Laying in bed last night the logic/geometry of your remark came to me. Sorry to be slow on the uptake--but you are exactly right. I went back and measured the spread of right and left groups from both days targets--and they are the same. Both groups are 9 MILs apart. Given the right-hand bias in both day's tests, the likely answer is that there is cant in my scope from the mounting job.

I'm such a dope (lol).
Pun intended? 🤣

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
Any updates on shipping? Ordered 12/31, getting the itch for it to show up!

I ordered mine on 12/29/21 - Received it yesterday (1/31/22)
I saw on another thread someone said their 12/29 or 12/30 order shipped email came through this morning. So, we should be getting close. I'm a 12/31 also...So, hopefully it will ship out tomorrow.

Thanks for the reports.

I ordered an EP5 on 09 Jan, just got shipping notice today.

Wondering if someone who has received an EP5 could do me a solid and measure the scope box as per the pic.

length x width x depth

Thanks in advance

Mark

ep5 box LDW.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the reports.

I ordered an EP5 on 09 Jan, just got shipping notice today.

Wondering if someone who has received an EP5 could do me a solid and measure the scope box as per the pic.

length x width x depth

Thanks in advance

Mark

View attachment 7800898
Sir--
The scope box itself is 16.75" long, 5.25" wide, and 4.75" depth/tall.

The shipping box it came in (assuming you got the free swag) was 20" long, 6.25 wide, and 6.26 deep.

Reactions: m239
I ordered mine on 12/27 and received it on 1/31. I ordered med. rings and found they are two short for a full picatinny rail.
So if you order you may want to order high rings.

I ordered mine on 12/27 and received it on 1/31. I ordered med. rings and found they are two short for a full picatinny rail.
So if you order you may want to order high rings.
Mine came in today, and I noticed the same with a long-action 700 and an EGW 20 MOA rail. I was putting it in a set of 0.92" Seekins rings. Luckily it was not staying on that rifle, I just need the rings for that scope, and wanted to keep the spacing correct, so I just popped the old one out and stuck the new one in to keep the spacing before transferring it the SA rifle it was going on. The low rings worked fine on a short-action...Just FYI.

My EP5 came last Tuesday was out of state till yesterday. Came home mounted it up and went to the range today. Bore sighted it at 100yds and confirmed the zero on the 3rd shot. Mine is mounted on a Savage in the Ashbury precision chassis with a 20moa rail. The scope was 12 mils high and 2 right out of the box. After floating the turrets and screwing down the 0 stop I have 26.5 mils of up from 100yd zero.
I put 35rds through it with a quick box and elevation test. I was at 18 1/4" @ 5 mils I did 3 mils in 1 mil increments right and 5 mils in 1 mil increments down. It also put 2 of the 3 shots back at zero through the same hole as the original zero shot.
I felt the reticle will work on 5 for point-blank shooting in a hunting situation but I cannot see the center dot on a black (steel ipsc) target in a shadow. Bright sun I could but no in compromised light conditions.
I shot past sunset but not total darkness. From 18ish power down very nice image you could notice some darkening above that not severe enough to not see or shoot. I have to move the scope back towards my eye and will repeat this wknd. If it last I think it was money well spent. I had a 6x24gen1 pst on this rifle before.
I didn't have any color fringing that I noticed on the white targets. No distortion at the edge of the field of view. My parallax was easy to use but I never looked at the numbers on the knob(didn't have my readers to actually see them) I used the arken rings medium 1.124 height. My chassis has the same forend as the hide rifle shape-wise. It has m-lok on top vs the solid top of the Hide rifle. This will not allow the fitment of the flip-up covers. I can use the bikini cover. Without the sunshade on It looked like it might fit though. This height is the max for the adj cheek height I have currently so if I change them for something higher I will need to get some foam and duct tape to make up the discrepancy in adjustment.

Got mine this week, ordered 12/31
Have yet to get to the range with it, but overall impressions are extremely positive. Turrets remind me of my buddys atacr, but to be fair, I haven’t been behind that rifle in a couple years, so will do a better comparison later.

I enjoy the reticle, with the markings basically being .25 mil within the first mil from center. I haven’t been behind anything with .2 increments, so I can’t compare to any of them, but feel it will be more than sufficient for my shooting as I’m a weekend warrior at best. Also like the illumination being just in the center.

Glass being as subjective as it is, I set it next to my old school original Bushnell DMR. I believe the FOV to be larger, and the glass much crisper as a whole. Yet again, that’s compared to an old scope, but one still seeing use and in the $700 used range, I felt it was a decent comparison.

I do wish it had a throw lever, will need to get one ordered ASAP. Is there anyone out there making one for it yet?

Overall, while it isn’t my buddys atacr by any means, i can get 5 of them for the same price. I’m very happy so far. If that changes, I’ll update.

The whole swag bag package is not bad, especially for free with a new scope. But sounds like it’s too late for that in your case.
The Arken throw lever, and scope caps both are of good quality. I prefer the set of Arken caps to the set of similar Vortex caps that I have. My Vortex caps pop open too easily.
Bubble level seems to be good as well, but I have no way to test its precision.
I have the scope mount which seems ok, but not great. After seeing Gohring65’s posts about cracking the rings I don’t think I would trust them.
Rear bag is not my preferred design, so I decided to use it as a small parts/tool bag inside my larger range bag.

Got mine this week, ordered 12/31
Have yet to get to the range with it, but overall impressions are extremely positive. Turrets remind me of my buddys atacr, but to be fair, I haven’t been behind that rifle in a couple years, so will do a better comparison later.

I enjoy the reticle, with the markings basically being .25 mil within the first mil from center. I haven’t been behind anything with .2 increments, so I can’t compare to any of them, but feel it will be more than sufficient for my shooting as I’m a weekend warrior at best. Also like the illumination being just in the center.

Glass being as subjective as it is, I set it next to my old school original Bushnell DMR. I believe the FOV to be larger, and the glass much crisper as a whole. Yet again, that’s compared to an old scope, but one still seeing use and in the $700 used range, I felt it was a decent comparison.

I do wish it had a throw lever, will need to get one ordered ASAP. Is there anyone out there making one for it yet?

Overall, while it isn’t my buddys atacr by any means, i can get 5 of them for the same price. I’m very happy so far. If that changes, I’ll update.
The Arken throw levers and bubbles are pretty nice. 👍🏼

I bought an extra Arken bubble level off Amazon. Same price as Arken site & free shipping. Thought the throw lever was there also. Arken mount & rings available too.

Bubble level:
Arken Optics Scope Bubble Level fits 30mm or 34mm

Don't see throw lever now🤔

Well went out to the range today and had a chance to look through the EP4, sh4, EP5, an NF atacr 7-35 F1.
Took some scope cam video too, but I need to review them.
It was at a 100 yard range. From the NF atacr at 25x, it was definitely clearer, and to try to quantify how much more, I was able to read the text on the target without trouble, like 20 20 vision. On the arkens, none of them allowed me to read the same text as easily. If I had to make it out, it took a few seconds to make out the letters. If the NF is 2020 vision, then the arkens we're like 20 30 vision.

Theres sooo much talk on the Arken on the other threads with opinions on every direction, and folks anticipating getting their EP5. Well look no further, I seem to be the first one to get it!! Feast your eyes on this. Photos of in the box, 5x, 16x, 25x. Parallax is set to what's on the photo, and the fence is 27 yards away with a sig kilo 2200 rangefinder.
I just got my EP5 in, don't have it range-ready yet. Does the TINY center dot on the reticle tend to get lost on dark targets or on dark spots? When I saw it in the ads etc I really liked it, reminded me of the center dot on my Sightron, but your photos are done so well it allows me to wonder if that little puppy is going to disappear on me?

Oh well, really looking forward to finding out, for sure!

Based on the pics the CA is acceptable. Far less than Kahles 624 at $3000 a few years ago.
You've got a Kahles and you're still buying scopes? "Lesser" ones, at that? Until my Arken EP5 every scope I bought was higher than the last. Now, the EPS and at half the cost of the low end Nightforce that was my previous purchase. Damn, I answered my own question. That means there will never be an end to buying and acquiring these things? Variety is the spice of life? Thanks.

You've got a Kahles and you're still buying scopes? "Lesser" ones, at that? Until my Arken EP5 every scope I bought was higher than the last. Now, the EPS and at half the cost of the low end Nightforce that was my previous purchase. Damn, I answered my own question. That means there will never be an end to buying and acquiring these things? Variety is the spice of life? Thanks.
I've got a Kahles and several Zeiss scopes... I just have too many guns to outfit with top-tier glass, and I don't make anywhere near the money I used to. Which is why I like the Arkens. They do the same job, function as well mechanically, track just as accurately, tick all the boxes for LR target shooting, and come in at an affordable price point. While the glass is nowhere near the same, they work fine for what I use them for.

That's why I don't understand all the hate. Nobody (in their right mind) is saying they're a NF replacement... Just saying they're good for the money, and hit pretty hard in the $1,000 and under category. And all the folks who bash on them and have never even seen one in person, need to do so, before bashing on them again. Just my thoughts on all the hate.

Yeah, they're manufactured in China...Blah blah blah.. So are the rubber seals, rubber parts, and plastic parts of their Schmidt & Benders, ZCO, TT, and every other alpha-tier scope. Guess yall had better chunk those in the trash now, too, since part of your money went to the CCP... Whoops, did I just say that... 🤭

I've got a Kahles and several Zeiss scopes... I just have too many guns to outfit with top-tier glass, and I don't make anywhere near the money I used to. Which is why I like the Arkens. They do the same job, function as well mechanically, track just as accurately, tick all the boxes for LR target shooting, and come in at an affordable price point. While the glass is nowhere near the same, they work fine for what I use them for.

That's why I don't understand all the hate. Nobody (in their right mind) is saying they're a NF replacement... Just saying they're good for the money, and hit pretty hard in the $1,000 and under category. And all the folks who bash on them and have never even seen one in person, need to do so, before bashing on them again. Just my thoughts on all the hate.

Yeah, they're manufactured in China...Blah blah blah.. So are the rubber seals, rubber parts, and plastic parts of their Schmidt & Benders, ZCO, TT, and every other alpha-tier scope. Guess yall had better chunk those in the trash now, too, since part of your money went to the CCP... Whoops, did I just say that... 🤭
Some of that European glass is on my list, down the road yet.

I saw an acquaintance at the range with the EP5 and he let me take a peek...... I went home and ordered mine. It's in now and awaiting the rings/mount and, ahem, the rifle (UPS says Monday). Almost everything I read and see on this scope gets my expectations up. Part of my expectation is I'm going to need to buy another one or two before Arken gets their prices closer to their value. Thanks your reinforcement!

The EP5 is now my favorite cheap scope. My nephew got one too & likes it better than his Midas tac, pst2, & SE. It’s not near as good as his Cronus btr & hes not going to sell the btr to buy more EP5s. He said the one thing he doesn’t like vs those others is the eye box & I agree. The EP5 eye box sucks but not bad enough to make me want the SE or or Midas. One surprise for me on the EP5 is the turrets are much better than the sh4 gen2. If you are deciding between the sh4 & EP5 definitely get the EP5. The EP5 handles ca better & better overall image. Parallax on sh4 goes to infinity much faster & is harder to get image in focus vs EP5. Ep5 parallax is very good for this price range. EP5 is brighter & eye box is also slightly better vs sh4. Like others have said 16-20x is best at longer ranges but 25x is good enough for 100-300 yard load development but I also do this with higher end scopes too. EP5 just does everything a little bit better vs sh4 gen2. This scope won’t stop me from buying scopes like the xrs3 or alphas. It’s a great scope for the $$. Now vortex & athlon will have stiff competition & will force them to bring more quality for less $$. Do I regret paying $3k for a 56mm PMII, $920 for DMR Pro, $1700 for the mk5hd 56mm, $1550 for the xtr3 56mm? No way do I regret it. Only thing I regret is not buying more DMR pros during bushnells sale for $920 which is the best scope performance per $$ IMO at the sale price otherwise I like the xtr3. I will definitely get more EP5s. When bushnell has their annual rebate sale I will be buying an xrs3 & hopefully dealers will have map prices too when the rebate happens. You get what you pay for still holds true. No $550 scope is close to a $1500+, & no $1500+ scope is as good as the $3k+ scopes. The gap between them is getting better. Once you have a ZCO, PMII, TT, March HM you won’t want to use anything else. A lot of Corvette owners will say ferari is overpriced until they can afford a ferari.

The EP5 is now my favorite cheap scope. My nephew got one too & likes it better than his Midas tac, pst2, & SE. It’s not near as good as his Cronus btr & hes not going to sell the btr to buy more EP5s. He said the one thing he doesn’t like vs those others is the eye box & I agree. The EP5 eye box sucks but not bad enough to make me want the SE or or Midas. One surprise for me on the EP5 is the turrets are much better than the sh4 gen2. If you are deciding between the sh4 & EP5 definitely get the EP5. The EP5 handles ca better & better overall image. Parallax on sh4 goes to infinity much faster & is harder to get image in focus vs EP5. Ep5 parallax is very good for this price range. EP5 is brighter & eye box is also slightly better vs sh4. Like others have said 16-20x is best at longer ranges but 25x is good enough for 100-300 yard load development but I also do this with higher end scopes too. EP5 just does everything a little bit better vs sh4 gen2. This scope won’t stop me from buying scopes like the xrs3 or alphas. It’s a great scope for the $$. Now vortex & athlon will have stiff competition & will force them to bring more quality for less $$. Do I regret paying $3k for a 56mm PMII, $920 for DMR Pro, $1700 for the mk5hd 56mm, $1550 for the xtr3 56mm? No way do I regret it. Only thing I regret is not buying more DMR pros during bushnells sale for $920 which is the best scope performance per $$ IMO at the sale price otherwise I like the xtr3. I will definitely get more EP5s. When bushnell has their annual rebate sale I will be buying an xrs3 & hopefully dealers will have map prices too when the rebate happens. You get what you pay for still holds true. No $550 scope is close to a $1500+, & no $1500+ scope is as good as the $3k+ scopes. The gap between them is getting better. Once you have a ZCO, PMII, TT, March HM you won’t want to use anything else. A lot of Corvette owners will say ferari is overpriced until they can afford a ferari.
Thanks for such a wealth of knowledge in one paragraph! Great info......

If that EP4 is an EPR MIL reticle scope, you ever sell it, let me know... I'd rather have it than the EP5, b/c I prefer the 50mm objective. My EP5 is on its way back to Arken now for replacement... Thing had some serious factory defects right out of the box, something was wrong with the glass alignment. 5-10x looked amazing, 10-16x the CA was horrible, and from 16-25x it was making a double-vision effect, and it was completely unusable. Hopefully the replacement will be good to go. Arken's CS was prompt and they sent an email and return label within 12 hours (I sent the email at 9pm at night, had it by 9am the next morning), so that's a good sign. 👍🏼

If that EP4 is an EPR MIL reticle scope, you ever sell it, let me know... I'd rather have it than the EP5, b/c I prefer the 50mm objective. My EP5 is on its way back to Arken now for replacement... Thing had some serious factory defects right out of the box, something was wrong with the glass alignment. 5-10x looked amazing, 10-16x the CA was horrible, and from 16-25x it was making a double-vision effect, and it was completely unusable. Hopefully the replacement will be good to go. Arken's CS was prompt and they sent an email and return label within 12 hours (I sent the email at 9pm at night, had it by 9am the next morning), so that's a good sign. 👍🏼
EP-4 with the SHR reticle. I had mechanical windage issues with the original one I acquired but like you Arken customer service promptly responded. I’m keeping this one. We think alike. I also reacted negatively towards the 56mm but like it now that I have one mounted. This unit looks good. Plenty of clearance on the Bergara B14R. After I did the bore sighting at 50 yds, first round impact was .8 high/.8 left. I adjusted and aimed at that first round and the next 4 rds clustered all on that first round. 👍 Parallax setting was almost right on, on the adjustment dial/knob. I fired a 10 rd group each of CCI SUBSONIC/SV both were right on the money so I set the zero stop no issues. 👍 I’m real happy with what my eyes are seeing thru the glass. At 50/100 yds, picture is clear and am not seeing any weird colors as has been reported so a big 👍👍’s for that. Conditions were like 45 degrees with a faint drizzle with an 8 mph shifting left to right from my back. I had my Leupold Mark 4 34mm to re-zero on my M40A5ish and I will say the glass on this EP-5 is as clear as the Mark 4, the only difference I could tell was the Mark 4 is a “richer” picture (that’s the best I can describe it) I’m sure due to better glass/coatings. Then dialed in 1.8 mils up (which was dead on)and had some fun on the kyl target at 100yds. Tactile clicks are aggressive compared to my EP-4. 👍 So super happy with what I received and hope you get a good unit in your hands soon.
54062552-7FE4-4A63-BAB7-08A371E913B1.jpeg

My EP5 arrived last week.

Was a bit of a roll of the dice on my part, purchased without having looked at one in the flesh. (I had looked at a SH4)

Havn't shot it yet, but here's my thoughts compared to a few others on hand after a bit of a side by side comparison.

Arken EP5 5-25
Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-25x50 G2 ret (no longer made)
S&B PM II 5-25
Athlon Helos 6-24

Obviously, it's all very subjective - and based on my crappy eyesight
::)

Tested them all on a steel plate at 223m, late afternoon, prob about 28º (Celsius)- a bit of mirage.

Set them all on 20 power.

Rankings below are in order, best to worst.

FOV
Athlon
Arken
SB
Bushnell

There was not much in this, all pretty close.

Clarity
Looked at how easy it was to pick up old hits on the steel that had been painted over, again this was very close. Also looked at 'sharpness' of image.
SB
Bushnell
Arken
Athlon

Chromatic Aberration (lack of)
SB
Bushnell
Arken
Athlon

Eyebox
SB
Bushnell
Athlon
Arken

The Arken was distinctly the worst here. My recollection of the Vortex Strike Eagle is that it was probably on a par
:umm:

Turrets
All were 10 Mil / rev

In terms of crispness and tactile 'feel'

Arken
Athlon
SB
Bushnell

The Bushnell was distinctly the worst

Brightness
Looked into the root ball in shadows of a downed tree for this one and general perception

SB
Bushnell
Athlon
Arken

This was also very close - not much in it.

Reticle

Obv very subjective, the Arken and Athlon have Christmas tree, the Bushnell is a 'semi Christmas tree' and the SB is the P4L, a 'clean' reticle.

So comparing the 2 closest options is a close run thing, I liked things about both. Prob not much point me jabbering on about them - you can see them all online.

My EP5 arrived last week.

Was a bit of a roll of the dice on my part, purchased without having looked at one in the flesh. (I had looked at a SH4)

Havn't shot it yet, but here's my thoughts compared to a few others on hand after a bit of a side by side comparison.

Arken EP5 5-25
Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-25x50 G2 ret (no longer made)
S&B PM II 5-25
Athlon Helos 6-24

Obviously, it's all very subjective - and based on my crappy eyesight
::)

Tested them all on a steel plate at 223m, late afternoon, prob about 28º (Celsius)- a bit of mirage.

Set them all on 20 power.

Rankings below are in order, best to worst.

FOV
Athlon
Arken
SB
Bushnell

There was not much in this, all pretty close.

Clarity
Looked at how easy it was to pick up old hits on the steel that had been painted over, again this was very close. Also looked at 'sharpness' of image.
SB
Bushnell
Arken
Athlon

Chromatic Aberration (lack of)
SB
Bushnell
Arken
Athlon

Eyebox
SB
Bushnell
Athlon
Arken

The Arken was distinctly the worst here. My recollection of the Vortex Strike Eagle is that it was probably on a par
:umm:

Turrets
All were 10 Mil / rev

In terms of crispness and tactile 'feel'

Arken
Athlon
SB
Bushnell

The Bushnell was distinctly the worst

Brightness
Looked into the root ball in shadows of a downed tree for this one and general perception

SB
Bushnell
Athlon
Arken

This was also very close - not much in it.

Reticle

Obv very subjective, the Arken and Athlon have Christmas tree, the Bushnell is a 'semi Christmas tree' and the SB is the P4L, a 'clean' reticle.

So comparing the 2 closest options is a close run thing, I liked things about both. Prob not much point me jabbering on about them - you can see them all online.
Did you measure the fov or are going off what you think looks better. I measured my pmii 56mm 25x at 5.3in & the EP5 25x at 4.8in at 100 yards. My friend measured his helos 24x at 4.4in at 100. The fov on the arken is pretty good considering price. It doesn’t sound like a big difference at 100 but at 1000 it is. PMII at 1000 is 53ft, EP5 is 48ft, & Helos at 24x is 44ft. The turrets on the EP5 I thought feel good for price. The clicks are precise & tactile but easier to skip clicks because it takes more tension to click, maybe a little to tight. PMII turrets are one of the best, comparable to TT. The PMII clicks are precise, not too much tension, & never skips. The new dt+ turrets are even better, maybe the best IMO. Turret feel is subjective so there will be many different opinions but I would guess the SB PMII & TT are tops for most people. The EP5 is definitely better than EP4/SH4 turret feel. That was the 1st thing that stuck out to me on EP5 vs SH4, was how much better the EP5 turrets felt

Reactions: rottenruger