• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Arken ep5...

Just got one day before yesterday I hope I have better luck than what I’m reading about
At this point, I'm pretty sure it's not the scope having the issues... JMO...

And if it is his scope, it has a tracking guarantee and a lifetime warranty. Their CS has been excellent for me when I had to send back my brand new (first run) EP5 last year due to glass issues. They never blinked an eye. Sent me a Return label, and even shipped out the new one before the old arrived back to them, because I provided them with a tracking number after I shipped the old one back to them. They even opened the replacement scope and thoroughly checked it out before shipping it to me to ensure it was perfect. Can't get much better CS than that.

But if the OP is being this difficult with us about bore sighting his rifle and not wanting to exert the effort to remove 2 action screws, or simply thinking large enough to get a big piece of cardboard to see where it's actually impacting, and test this theory correctly, then I have a hard time believing the story about them brushing him off and just telling him to "boresight it at 100 yards". I'm thinking this is operator error.

Reactions: oso1 and 338dude
Not brushing anything off. I can't just run straight to the range when I get up at 3 every morning and don't get home til 7 or later and live in town limits. Just trying to get as much ideas as I can before I hit the range again. I can get 96.9 yards from my bedroom across the house and out the window to a sign that jas a big square reflective tag on the back of it so gonna try to keep it in the chassis and get the cheekpiece and buttplate out of the way and see if I can boresight it that way. That'll tell me if it's gonna work or not. Least in my mind

Reactions: 338dude
You can bore sight at any distance. 25 yards to 1500, it makes no difference.
All you're doing is aligning two images.
I use a number on the neighbor's house across the street.
I could use the osprey nest way down the powerline. I'll still end up with the same impact point.

I am still baffled as to why you won't remove two screws and pull the action to make the job easier.

Two screws.

Reactions: Gohring65 and FuhQ
Hoping to move the cheekpiece and buttplate if not then I'll take the action out

In my mind if I can clamp the chassis in that'll be more stable than resting the barreled action on a bag

If you or your scope is confusing MOA with MIL, then your POA and POI will be MIA.

Have you done the Tracking test? If it fails then it's time to do the Trucking test back to Arken for some workin'.

Reactions: 338dude and FuhQ
If you’re worried about getting them back in the exact location again, measure them with a tape measure before you loosen/remove them.
The buttplate I just need d to undo one screw and pivot then with the cheekpiece all the way down counting the clicks on the wheel I should be able to get it

I do not understand, 25 yd to 100 yd is less than 1 inch in elevation, so if you are zeroed at 25 yd and aim at 100 yd you do not even hit the paper ??

So then, pop the BA out of the chassis. It's two screws.
Lay it on a bag. Set a target out at 100yds with a 2×2" square/diamond/triangle/ circle of bright colored tape on it.
Do the bore sighting and do it carefully. (You will probably have to loosen your zero stop)
You should now be less than 3" away from actual impact. Probably closer....

Put your action screws back in, torque them and put two on paper. Adjust zero and have fun.

BTW, don't forget to reset your turrets and your zero stop.
This is the best way to get it done. Maybe it is the 40 MOA base, or some other variable we aren't seeing, but looking down the barrel will at least tell the OP how many clicks off his zero is at 100 compared to 25, and in what direction.

Getting home early enough tonight I can get 96.4 yards around the house that'll get me close

Well best I can see I have it boresighted will find out Sunday when I get to the range. I can only go down about 5.5 mil before I'm at the bottom

• Sad
Just so I have this right, you sight it in at 25, shoot, all is good, then take it to 100, dial your correction/elevation, and shoot again? or do you shoot before dialing to see where it hits on paper?

Tried both and wasn't on paper. Maybe was just having a day Tuesday but relatively new optic and it was tracking fine at 25 so figured I'd check see if anyone else has had issues. Best I can tell I've got it boresight at 100 we shall see

So when you boresighted at 100 did you have to make a huge adjustment?

Have you shot it 25, shot it at 100 without touching the scope, then go back to 25 again without touching the scope, to see if it still hits the same spot?

Yeah it tracks fine at 25. Before any smart-a$$ says it's shooter again this ain't my first time zeroing a scope and I've been shooting for 30 years. Had quite a hard time boresighting it I need a better tripod lol

Have you shot it 25, shot it at 100 without touching the scope, then go back to 25 again without touching the scope, to see if it still hits the same spot?
This right here, there should be less than 1" difference. If you cannot hit paper when not touching the scope, it is the scope, or then again it is YOU

Well with the old scope on and this exact rifle I shot this group at 200 so the new member to the party is....

Attachments

• Ballistic-X-Export-2021-10-29 11:36:54.696250.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2021-10-29 11:36:54.696250.jpg
    588.3 KB · Views: 58
Lol...

Edit- build a berm dude!
1st dot is me 2nd dot is target (roughly) that line is about a mile and half long though nothing but woods down through a couple valleys and hills with no houses. No different than some other people who shoot down powerline cuts

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220704-102923_BaseMap.jpg
    Screenshot_20220704-102923_BaseMap.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 71
So, just like I said back on Wednesday... It wasn't a scope issue, it was operator error.
Yup operator headspace adjustment was needed. Just wanted to cover as many bases as possible since I don't get to the range much.

Reactions: FuhQ
Yup operator headspace adjustment was needed. Just wanted to cover as many bases as possible since I don't get to the range much.
For the record, I wasn't trying to be an ass last week, I've just seen this scenario play-out quite a few times at the range, helping some of the newbies (or new to dialing up target turrets) get their guns sighted in and zero-stops setup. It happens.

For the record, I wasn't trying to be an ass last week, I've just seen this scenario play-out quite a few times at the range, helping some of the newbies (or new to dialing up target turrets) get their guns sighted in and zero-stops setup. It happens.
Yeah wasn't thinking you were. Don't know what I was doing the other day

1st dot is me 2nd dot is target (roughly) that line is about a mile and half long though nothing but woods down through a couple valleys and hills with no houses. No different than some other people who shoot down powerline cuts
You ain’t from Crawford County Arkansas are ya?

For what it's worth, I would do a tall target test to check if the scope tracks. I made one out of cardboard and stapled
it to two pieces of 1x2 boards. It was 6in x 48in and I drew a straight and level line down it with a small dot at the bottom
and one 36in high and shot the bottom dot then ran the scope up 10 mils and back and
mine tracked about 1/2 in. right at the top. Just make sure you are dead on at 100 yds. Debating about contacting them about the tracking
or just keeping it since it's on a .22.

Turning the turret in the wrong direction is a classic and happens a lot. But how did you hold in the wrong direction? :D

Turning the turret in the wrong direction is a classic and happens a lot. But how did you hold in the wrong direction? :D

from a 100y zero everything is a hold over

from a 25y zero there are hold overs and in this case hold unders

so add the accidental 1.6mil holdover to what should have been 1.6 holdunder and now you're 3.2mil or about 11 inches above the target. and i bet just barely above the target too

Reactions: Guthwine
EP5 in stock. $424 out the door.
25% off with link below. 🍻

Hard pressed to get a better scope for this price if you can accept Chinese assembled w/ Jap ED glass.

Last edited:
Did you get it sorted out? I had some experiences with Arken's CS as well and it was not 100% positive.

ours came in the first time one ret side was lower than the other OK crap happens got a hold of the company and as quickly as they could they sent another that arrived intact . they responded pretty fast and fixed the problem now it's mounted and ready to go It's a fine scope for the cost .

Did you get it sorted out? I had some experiences with Arken's CS as well and it was not 100% positive.
46165B72-BEFB-4B5F-B918-5C859063ADB4.jpeg

So which scope design company do you work for?

Curious as you are giving vague negative feed back on a 3 month dead I don’t know how to zero a scope thread.