• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Arken SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 VPR MIL

I just had two failures with the mount plate, I think it’s more of a design and material flaw. It’s a easy remedy, that if they fix, would be great rings. Just make the plate out of steel, like weaver, UTG pro, and several others. But I have two sets of broken rings. I warrantied one set, probably going to the other set, but I can’t put them on anything. I just lost confidence in them.View attachment 7800437
I'm honestly starting to wonder if it has something to do with your base, or if your torque wrench might be out of spec... Because You're the only one I've heard of having these issues. I just checked my .260 since it's up here beside me, and it's fine after hundreds of rounds and getting toted around without protection, and bouncing around in the backseat of the Jeep (not in a case). I don't know man. Wish I had an answer for you. 🤷🏼

What brand base is that? I run EGW HD bases on all my rifles.

Get refunds on them and get a couple sets of Seekins, or warranty them and try a different torque wrench... Maybe that will help?

I don’t know, it’s a Leupold mark 4 steel base, they’re pretty good quality. The first set I didn’t even get to a torque wrench when they snapped, I was maybe 10-15 in lbs with the supplied Allen wrench. The second set was on a Springfield saint AR i doubt it was out of spec, they cracked after torqued to spec and sat in the safe for about two weeks. The torque wrench is used for everything from transmission band adjustments to scope rings.
I’ve never had a single problem with it, or any other brand of rings.
There’s more people out there with the problem, just not on the hide apparently. But it’s a known problem, dealers are putting out mounting sequences to prevent it. That’s fine, and I went by that and the second set snapped anyway. I don’t need a mounting sequence for Seekins, Burris or Nightforce that’s currently being used. That’s the problem I have with them. If I got to baby them, I don’t want them.

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
I don’t know, it’s a Leupold mark 4 steel base, they’re pretty good quality. The first set I didn’t even get to a torque wrench when they snapped, I was maybe 10-15 in lbs with the supplied Allen wrench. The second set was on a Springfield saint AR i doubt it was out of spec, they cracked after torqued to spec and sat in the safe for about two weeks. The torque wrench is used for everything from transmission band adjustments to scope rings.
There’s more people out there with the problem, just not on the hide apparently. But it’s a known problem, dealers are putting out mounting sequences to prevent it. That’s fine, and I went by that and the second set snapped anyway. I don’t need a mounting sequence for Seekins, Burris or Nightforce that’s currently being used. That’s the problem I have with them. If I got to baby them, I don’t want them.
I'm going to grab my rings out of the parts drawer & crank them down on something & see if the hold. If something happens, I'd rather it be now than out in the field

9831A462-DAD6-4F93-986A-D42C2CE990A7.jpeg
Here’s a thread where a guy was asking if the rings were under lifetime warranty because his cracked. This is the response of a well known dealer, he’s even going as far as almost saying they even loosen up after a while. Two guys in that thread besides me had them break.

🤔 I wonder if it has to do with expansion rates being different between steel and aluminum...??? I read something about that MANY years ago, but haven't thought about it since... My bases are 7075, same as the rings, so they have identical allow expansion and contractions rates. I wonder if this could be your issue?

But you said the 2nd set was on an AR upper, which is aluminum... So, I don't know...

Just to clarify, you said you use on transmissions... You are using INCH-POUNDS and not ft. lbs. correct? 😂

🤔 I wonder if it has to do with expansion rates being different between steel and aluminum...??? I read something about that MANY years ago, but haven't thought about it since... My bases are 7075, same as the rings, so they have identical allow expansion and contractions rates. I wonder if this could be your issue?

But you said the 2nd set was on an AR upper, which is aluminum... So, I don't know...

Just to clarify, you said you use on transmissions... You are using INCH-POUNDS and not ft. lbs. correct? 😂
Yes, transmission bands are always adjusted with in. lbs. that’s the reason I own that particular torque wrench, was for transmission bands initially. It just got carried over to the gun room after a while.

That expansion rate BS is just that. Nothing to do with it.

Reactions: Gohring65
I just had two failures with the mount plate, I think it’s more of a design and material flaw. It’s a easy remedy, that if they fix, would be great rings. Just make the plate out of steel, like weaver, UTG pro, and several others. But I have two sets of broken rings. I warrantied one set, probably going to the other set, but I can’t put them on anything. I just lost confidence in them.View attachment 7800437
i didnt want to join this thread as it gets too spammy, but, i have to say i had this exact issue with the rings when i got my ep4 back when it first came out. they did replace it, and i did hear others having a similar issue back then. i have used the replaced rings on my ep5 and it did not do this. i got the replaced rings when the sh4 came out and they shipped it together but only recently mounted the new rings on the ep5.

That expansion rate BS is just that. Nothing to do with it.
As someone who's actually studied metallurgy (spent 20 years welding and doing custom metal fabrication), I can assure you that it's not BS... 2 dissimilar metals and alloys, even of the same base type have different expansion and contraction rates.

Now, in the gun world, is that going to be enough to matter when it comes to rings and bases being dissimilar? Probably not... Just saying that it's real.

As someone who's actually studied metallurgy (spent 20 years welding and doing custom metal fabrication), I can assure you that it's not BS... 2 dissimilar metals and alloys, even of the same base type have different expansion and contraction rates.

Now, in the gun world, is that going to be enough to matter? Probably not... Just saying that it's real.

Well we are talking about the gun world and no it’s not going to be enough to matter at all. When I said BS I was talking about the gun world as that BS gets thrown around here a lot. I know it’s a thing but not in guns.

I've always tightened screws down in increments evenly. OCD? Meh, lol. I just put the Arken medium rings on a base I had. Started all with 10in/lb, 15, 20, 25 then 30. So far so good.....I'll drop them off the ground a few times tomorrow & see what happens.

Reactions: FuhQ and Gohring65
Ok... I just went and read some of the early Arken threads, because it recommended them at the bottom of the screen... I just want to say, I totally get the hate now. Wow...

Having spent inordinate amounts of time behind high-end optics, and owning several $1,500+ scopes...And shooting through scopes all the way up to $11,000 Hensoldt's (not mine, some rich old guy that used to be a regular customer at the gun store)... Here's my take, versus what I was reading...

While these are phenomenal scopes for the money, and hell, even phenomenal scopes for twice the money... And while they may be as good, and in some cases, feel superior mechanically to some of the alpha-tier scopes (a lot of that, like turret feel, is matter of personal preference). But, folks comparing the glass to Razor G2's, Steiner M7's, ZCO, TT, USO, and Kahles... Come on... 🤦🏼

Look, I'm the first person to tell you it's retarded to pay over $2,000 for a rifle scope, BUT... Facts are facts. The top-tier glass IS superior. Period. Is it $2,000, $3,000, or $4,000 superior? Not in my opinion, but NO optic on earth is, or ever will be, unless it's X-Ray vision. But there is a very noticeable difference, even between my $1,500 Zeiss 30mm FFP and my SH4 Gen2 scopes. So, I guarantee you there is a VERY noticeable difference between an SH4 Gen2 and a $4,000 ZCO or TT when comparing glass. Is the cost differentiation justifiable? That's a matter of bank account and personal opinion. I'm not going to tell anyone what to spend their money on, just like I respect folks doing the same for me. I started this thread and bought these scopes because I personally wanted to see what all the hype was about. And so far I'm pretty impressed for the money.

I'm not rich, but if I was, yeah, I'd probably run alpha-tier scopes on everything just because...Especially if I could afford some of these hunts people pay to go on...$4-5K for a scope is a drop in the bucket compared to that. Or, if one of those scopes was less than a month's pay for me. Right now, with the slow season, one of those scopes is over twice that...Tough times. Anyway... I totally understand now why they're so controversial and why all the hate.
I think people are misunderstanding my post... When I said there was a noticeable difference, I was saying the $1,500 Zeiss was noticeably BETTER in glass quality than the Arkens (which is contrary to what the people in the old threads were saying). And while I haven't looked through a ZCO or TT, i'm assuming that they would be even better than that. But I don't know by how much to justify the ridiculous price tags.

However, I do think the turrets feel as good as any I've ever felt. I like loud audible clicks and very tactile feeling clicks, the large size knobs, and the big numbers makes it very easy to read even in lower-light. Personal preference...

I just wanted to clarify that after re-reading it...

You said what I was thinking. Lol
I think he thought he was on Spotify and his departure was some sort of protest. Lol
The internet has created a false sense of ego for most folks... His opinion means exactly as much as my opinion, which means as much as anyone else's opinion... Which would be only as much weight as anyone else wants to put into it. People need to learn that. 👍🏼

That's one reason why I don't give a fuck about celebrities, athletes, or famous people...They're just people. I don't give a shit about their opinion on the world, just do your job and STFU about politics, "racism", and "climate change". Only the weak-minded care what they have to say...Unfortunately, the world is filled with weak sheep worshippers that hang on their every word. 🤦🏼

I guess our discussion about rings was too much for him.
Hell, somebody earlier said this thread was "too spammy", after I made my comment yesterday that could have been misconstrued... That's why I clarified. Even though the first line in that post should have given a general "mood"/direction to where it was heading. I thought it was clear, but I'm the one who wrote it, so I realized it could have been taken opposite of how I meant it.

Anyone who's actually read through this thread should be able to tell you just fair and unbiased this thread really is. We have pointed out plenty of things that we feel need addressing by Arken. We've stated they're NOT perfect. We've even stated they're not remotely near "$2,000 scope killers" like some folks have claimed. While they do compete with scopes twice as much, they're still nowhere near alpha level optics. But, I also don't think that alpha tier scopes should cost even HALF what they do (unpopular personal opinion based on my first-hand experience).

Last edited:
Don’t lick the arkens that white/grayish residue hasn’t been tested yet.
Could be anthrax, could be cocaine. I’m just afraid to try it.
Well, anthrax is treatable so if someone could go ahead and report back if the residue is coke or not that be great. Also, if so, is it Tier One Alpha coke or more like Venom/Strike Eagle coke. This will be important whether I buy more scopes or not.

Well, anthrax is treatable so if someone could go ahead and report back if the residue is coke or not that be great. Also, if so, is it Tier One Alpha coke or more like Venom/Strike Eagle coke. This will be important whether I buy more scopes or not.
The young me is saying do it, the old me knows if it’s coke, I’d have all my scopes and equipment for sale in the classifieds.

Well, my EP5 came in a day early... That shipped REALLY quick...

Not really impressed with the turrets... They are a bit gritty and rough, and have very bad spring-back (none of my SH4 Gen2 turrets are this way). Haven't had a chance to look through it outside, but when bore-sighting it, it was very bright and clear...I have high hopes for the glass.

I have found that while I did not like the Arken flip caps on the 50mm SH4 Gen2 scopes, I DO like them on the EP5... The fit tighter, and actually spring all the way back around like they're supposed to. On the SH4, they seemed to be a little loose and would flex and move around somewhat. They seem to fit tighter on the EP5.

The illumination seems brighter than the SH4 Gen2, so that's a plus.

It is definitely heavier...That 3oz seems like a lot, but it's also in those heavier Seekins rings, so it feels like a tank on the 5R .260, which is already close to 10 lbs. bare...

Overall, I have high hopes, just not happy with the turrets... But if they track, I'll be ok.

I do wish they would offer it in a 50mm objective, that 56mm is a bit of a hog, and a bit unnecessary, IMO.

I'll post pics sometime...Maybe tonight, if I don't go drink beer, and maybe Sunday if I get a chance to go to the range.

Like was stated in another Arken thread, the 56mm EP5 will not work with LOW 0.92" rings on a full-length (hangs past the front of the action) rail on a long-action rifle. You will need medium rings or maybe highs.

But on a short-action, the Low rings work perfect.

Not really impressed with the turrets... They are a bit gritty and rough, and have very bad spring-back (none of my SH4 Gen2 turrets are this way). Haven't had a chance to look through it outside, but when bore-sighting it, it was very bright and clear...I have high hopes for the glass.

I have found that while I did not like the Arken flip caps on the 50mm SH4 Gen2 scopes, I DO like them on the EP5... The fit tighter, and actually spring all the way back around like they're supposed to. On the SH4, they seemed to be a little loose and would flex and move around somewhat. They seem to fit tighter on the EP5.

It is definitely heavier...That 3oz seems like a lot, but it's also in those heavier Seekins rings, so it feels like a tank on the 5R .260, which is already close to 10 lbs. bare...

Overall, I have high hopes, just not happy with the turrets... But if they track, I'll be ok.

I do wish they would offer it in a 50mm objective, that 56mm is a bit of a hog, and a bit unnecessary, IMO.

I'll post pics sometime...Maybe tonight, if I don't go drink beer, and maybe Sunday if I get a chance to go to the range.

It's a piece of SHIT! Sell it......to me.......l$300 cash, z😂

Interested in the strike eagle comparison.
So far, with the sh and ep4 series the strike eagle is holding its own on my end.
None of them really pull away from the other. All have their attributes, but so far I don’t regret buying the strike eagle at all.

Yes lol. Trying to type quickly while keeping an eye on the grill.
I've been thinking about contacting ARKEN and asking if they'd be willing to sell barely-used scopes that got returned under warranty from basically unreasonable people for trivial reasons. Because you know they are out there, right?

They could base it on a "Crossbreed Seconds" model. They list the cosmetic complaint (dust spec in scope), you get a sweet deal, and the terms are No Bitching. Warranty covers any reasonable catastrophic failure. I'd be all over that.

Consumers have a right to perfect merchandise, and I can affirm their right to return anything for any reason which they feel is reasonable--and while I understand why some people might be bothered by certain kinds of flaws in their merchandise, I personally don't GAF if the parallax numbers match any given range (for example).

I've been thinking about contacting ARKEN and asking if they'd be willing to sell barely-used scopes that got returned under warranty from basically unreasonable people for trivial reasons. Because you know they are out there, right?

They could base it on a "Crossbreed Seconds" model. They list the cosmetic complaint (dust spec in scope), you get a sweet deal, and the terms are No Bitching. Warranty covers any reasonable catastrophic failure. I'd be all over that.

Consumers have a right to perfect merchandise, and I can affirm their right to return anything for any reason which they feel is reasonable--and while I understand why some people might be bothered by certain kinds of flaws in their merchandise, I personally don't GAF if the parallax numbers match any given range (for example).
Not a bad idea, worth a shot.
Me personally, I'm gonna wait for @FuhQ to get all liquored up tonight 1st. Then when He gets back on here 2-3am, see If We cant strike a deal. He pays me $150 + shipping to take the EP5 off his hands......😈

• Haha
Reactions: Gohring65
Interested in the strike eagle comparison.
So far, with the sh and ep4 series the strike eagle is holding its own on my end.
None of them really pull away from the other. All have their attributes, but so far I don’t regret buying the strike eagle at all.
l will say this, while bore-sighting, I noticed the EP5 still has a fairly tight eye box even on 10x, compared to most high-end scopes I have. Nothing to sweat over, since I mostly shoot off a bench.