• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armalite AR-10 National Match or Gap-10

Re: Armalite AR-10 National Match or Gap-10

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricCartmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was wondering, when you guys see something Cartmann post that you do not like to hear, do you guys act like the wonder twins... you know say "Operators Unite!, Form of a GAP Gun and Defender of GAP!" </div></div>

LMAO!!!!

I am an Armalite fan and I well atest that the T will shoot under 1 moa. I shoot mine out to 750 on routine and I have no problem hitting the small gongs. I think most of the factory rifles shoot all the same from many of the pics and reports that I have seen anywhere from 1 to 3/4 or 1/2 MOA. I don't know much about the custom builds but I would imagine they will shoot since the are custom but is it worth the oney to get an extra 1/4 or 1/8 of an MOA? For me it isn't as I am not made of gold. I would like to know what GAP does besides screw in a great barrel. I know the Lother Walther barrel I have is a real shooter and I doubt it gives up anything to a Bartlein or Krieger or whaever. my I just got a fantastic barrel, I dunno....

My AR10 NM has been good to me. The only thing I am tweaking is the ejector spring to take it easy on my brass and receiver.
I think its a good gun for the cost overall.

Now if they came with the Les Tam sling it would be perfect.....

ar10.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My AR10 NM has been good to me. The only thing I am tweaking is the ejector spring to take it easy on my brass and receiver.

ar10.jpg
</div></div>

Cal50 you are the one I am looking for. That is exactly the rifle I am looking at. What kind of groupings are you getting? Reliability? Any regrets on your purchase. I see you have iron sights on it. Have you ever shot it with an optic and what were your results?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My AR10 NM has been good to me. The only thing I am tweaking is the ejector spring to take it easy on my brass and receiver.

ar10.jpg
</div></div>

Cal50 you are the one I am looking for. That is exactly the rifle I am looking at. What kind of groupings are you getting? Reliability? Any regrets on your purchase. I see you have iron sights on it. Have you ever shot it with an optic and what were your results? </div></div>

No issues as of yet, tapping head /wood.
Armalite guarantees 1" or MOA and I feel its pretty close to that. I have not fired it with optics. I did the suggested barrel break in and in the course of popping off rounds everything was in the black on the 100yr reduced / 200 yd target. The weather was crappy and in wrapping up I saved 10 shots and fired my last clean target and had an honest 2 3/4" group for 10 shots at 100. I noticed my rear aperture was loose when I got home. Mechanical zero windage was about dead on and the elevation I moved up 6 clicks ( front sight down). The iron sights are suppose to be good to 1000 yards and the fit and finish is excellent. I have 5 of the GEN 2 mags and used 2 of them that day.

I am tweaking the ejector spring to hopefully have it toss cases forward similar to my match AR15.

The only thing that I was not completely satisfied with was the trigger. My other rifles have Jewell triggers which I am REALLY use to. The Armalite trigger had a minute amount of creep in it.
I dry fired it at least +200 times and it never changed. I treated myself to the Geisele SSA-E enhanced trigger which is in it now. It's better without a doubt and I am now focused on getting some trigger time with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My AR10 NM has been good to me. The only thing I am tweaking is the ejector spring to take it easy on my brass and receiver.

ar10.jpg
</div></div>

Cal50 you are the one I am looking for. That is exactly the rifle I am looking at. What kind of groupings are you getting? Reliability? Any regrets on your purchase. I see you have iron sights on it. Have you ever shot it with an optic and what were your results? </div></div>

No issues as of yet, tapping head /wood.
Armalite guarantees 1" or MOA and I feel its pretty close to that. I have not fired it with optics. I did the suggested barrel break in and in the course of popping off rounds everything was in the black on the 100yr reduced / 200 yd target. The weather was crappy and in wrapping up I saved 10 shots and fired my last clean target and had an honest 2 3/4" group for 10 shots at 100. I noticed my rear aperture was loose when I got home. Mechanical zero windage was about dead on and the elevation I moved up 6 clicks ( front sight down). The iron sights are suppose to be good to 1000 yards and the fit and finish is excellent. I have 5 of the GEN 2 mags and used 2 of them that day.

I am tweaking the ejector spring to hopefully have it toss cases forward similar to my match AR15.

The only thing that I was not completely satisfied with was the trigger. My other rifles have Jewell triggers which I am REALLY use to. The Armalite trigger had a minute amount of creep in it.
I dry fired it at least +200 times and it never changed. I treated myself to the Geisele SSA-E enhanced trigger which is in it now. It's better without a doubt and I am now focused on getting some trigger time with it.
</div></div>

Again the point that has been made a hundred times, the AR-10 rifles are good rifles, but there are things that you will want to change out. I personally don't like the ArmaLite two stage either, that would be first to go, but a good trigger runs $150-$300

The Gap comes with other options not on the AR-10 mentioned, Ambi controls, extended charging handle, scope mount, Bartlein barrel...

The Gap also takes SR-25 patterned magazines which is a sensitive subject for some but personally it is relevant. I build most of my weapons, I think that is the best route, if that's not an option then the next best thing is to have someone build it for you with parts you will most likely add to the AR-10 overtime anyway. I understand the time frame thing, but good things come to those that wait

I called Gap and was ready to put down my deposit on a Gap-10 and they told me build time was 8 Months!!! That a tough pill to swallow!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called Gap and was ready to put down my deposit on a Gap-10 and they told me build time was 8 Months!!! That a tough pill to swallow!!! </div></div>

Good things come to those who wait!!
wink.gif

Apparently you don't have a whole lot of experience with ordering custom built rifles, but all in all...8mo isn't all that bad in the grand scheme of things. Trust me when I tell you that I, and many others here, have waited far longer than 8mo from the time a project was commissioned with a custom builder until the rifle was actually ready. Not intended as a slam to GAP or any other custom shop...wait times are what they are and I refer back to my adage above re: waiting.
wink.gif

If you are in instant gratification kinda guy...go for the off-the-shelf/rack stuff and tweak it as you have the time and money if you want/need more than it has to offer out of the box.

Personally SR-25 mags would be a turn off for me. The M14 based magazine is proven, available and reasonable priced.

I have zero interest or need for ambi controls but that me.

The AR10 NM is scope ready, just take the carry handle off.

The armalite is better than good, with an accuracy guarantee and lifetime warranty it's hard to beat. Unless you want features it does not have it more than hold it's own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally SR-25 mags would be a turn off for me. The M14 based magazine is proven, available and reasonable priced.
</div></div>

confused.gif
Yeah because SR-25 type mags are so unreliable sorry I forgot about that? And dang those blasted $18 pmags, no wonder Armalite won't make a rifle that accepts them, oh wait
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RuLins05</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personally SR-25 mags would be a turn off for me. The M14 based magazine is proven, available and reasonable priced.
</div></div>

confused.gif
Yeah because SR-25 type mags are so unreliable sorry I forgot about that? And dang those blasted $18 pmags, no wonder Armalite won't make a rifle that accepts them, oh wait
wink.gif
</div></div>

Yea, maybe Springfield should change production so the M1A uses P-Mags since they solve a non-problem. Quick, call Armalite as well!

I never said Sr mags are/ were unreliable Mr.Lack of reading comprehension. If you want to use a less available more expensive magazine then go for it OR buy a gun that uses the magazine you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to use a less available more expensive magazine then go for it ....</div></div>

I hope you realize that M14 magazines do not properly function in an AR10 and Pmags are more available and less-expensive than AR10 magazines.

Nothing manufactured by man is perfect. Magazines are, by definition, expendable. These P-Mag photos are from a simple google search:

images

images

cimg0990h.jpg

IMG_1169%201028%20WEVO.jpg

images

albums-e303-taylorwso-pict1989.jpg

IMG_1168%201028%20WEVO.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I called Gap and was ready to put down my deposit on a Gap-10 and they told me build time was 8 Months!!! That a tough pill to swallow!!! </div></div> Actually, considering the demand for AW/Battle type rifles in general and the wait for any custom build that's really not bad. If you order directly from Armalite it will be 10 to 12 weeks, or at least mine was. Now of course if a dealer has one in stock..........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to use a less available more expensive magazine then go for it ....</div></div>

I hope you realize that M14 magazines do not properly function in an AR10 and Pmags are more available and less-expensive than AR10 magazines. </div></div>

What do you call an Armalite GEN2 AR10 magazine?

It appears as an M14 mag with a side window cut for the mag catch and a modded follower for the BHO.

Where did you come up with your statement ?
Seriously asking and not being a smart ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing manufactured by man is perfect. Magazines are, by definition, expendable. These P-Mag photos are from a simple google search:

images

images

cimg0990h.jpg

IMG_1169%201028%20WEVO.jpg

images

albums-e303-taylorwso-pict1989.jpg

IMG_1168%201028%20WEVO.jpg

</div></div>

I have Pmags for my AR / SIG 556 rifle as well as several aluminum and a few steel mags as well. I have had Thermold mags crack at the weld seam in really cold weather use and they still worked but would swell out when loaded and you had to force it in the mag well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It appears as an M14 mag with a side window cut for the mag catch and a modded follower for the BHO.

Seriously asking and not being a smart ass. </div></div>

I call that an AR10 magazine.

An AR10 magazine won't function in an M14. No locking plate and I am not sure how well the follower design would work with the M14 bolt. Going to have to try that soon.

An M14 magazine won't properly function in an AR10. It will insert into the magwell, but it won't latch and won't lock the bolt back on the last round.

Once you modify the body of the magazine and add a different follower, in my opinion that makes it a different magazine.

I didn't say that you can't MAKE an M14 magazine into something that will work in an AR10. That was a design feature of the rifle when we still lived under the rules of the AWB.

Place an M14 and Armalite AR10 Gen2 mag side by side. They are the same shape. That is where the similarity ends.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cal50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Seriously asking and not being a smart ass. </div></div>

I call that an AR10 magazine.

An AR10 magazine won't function in an M14. No locking plate and I am not sure how well the follower design would work with the M14 bolt. Going to have to try that soon.

An M14 magazine won't properly function in an AR10. It will insert into the magwell, but it won't latch and won't lock the bolt back on the last round.

Once you modify the body of the magazine and add a different follower, in my opinion that makes it a different magazine.

I didn't say that you can't MAKE an M14 magazine into something that will work in an AR10. That was a design feature of the rifle when we still lived under the rules of the AWB.

Place an M14 and Armalite AR10 Gen2 mag side by side. They are the same shape. That is where the similarity ends. </div></div>

A little more than the same shape.......

Its the same magazine minus the rear spacer plate and an added side cut for the magazine catch. Dimensionally the internals , spring and follower geometry are the same.

Sorry read the wrong post, my phone is acting up