• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armalite AR10 conversion to 260 Rem

skeeter355

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
I have been looking to get a 260 Rem barrel for my Armalite AR10. Armalite has been out for awhile and have been trying to find an aftermarket barrel. Most barrel makers do not offer Armalite specific barrels as they are based on DPMS style. Talking to JP Rifles, they are saying as long as I use a DPMS style carrier/bolt with their barrel it should work in an Armalite upper receiver. Is this true? And if so, which barrel maker would you go with? Unless someone knows of an Armalite barrel maker (besides Krieger who only makes a 5 lb barrel-too heavy). Also what specifics would you order for the 260?

Thanks, Skeeter

Armalite barrel extensions are available, but not the easiest parts to source at times. That is just one of the reasons you don't see Armalite with stock, nor many aftermarket barrel mfgs who stock Armalite pattern barrels at this time.

Rather than buying a "one off" barrel for a DPMS pattern rifle, then having to invest even more money in a new bolt carrier assembly for a DPMS-pattern rifle, etc., etc., why not just get an AR-10 pattern barrel extension and have any number of highly competent gunsmiths out there make you a .260 barrel with the specific blank, chamber, twist, length, contour, etc. of your choosing, headspaced properly to your existing Armalite bolt (same bolt for both your .308 and .260)??

Here's a source for In-Stock Armalite AR-10 barrel extensions: Armalite AR10 Barrel Extension w/ Feed Ramps Phosphate

Don't go @#$%ing around with swapping DPMS parts into an Armalite pattern rifle is the long and short of it. It is ill-advised on many levels as the specs used to complete each platform are not the same and swapping over to a DPMS pattern barrel, BCG, etc. isn't a "fix all."

As for "what specs" to order on your barrel...well...its your barrel, so choose accordingly based on your particular needs/wants/purposes/etc. for the rifle/upper. One of the many benefits of having the barrel made custom instead of getting stuck with buying off the rack is that you can literally have it your way, whatever that way may be! ;)

I have 3 JPs, they all shoot fantastic. I would not hesitate getting one of their barrels. As JP advised it should run fine as long as you swap to a DPMS style bolt/carrier/barrel extension-- even while still using the Armalite pattern mags for you lower.

My GAP10 recently got switched the opposite direction, GAP switched it from the original DPMS style bolt/carrier/barrel extension to an Armalite bolt/carrier/barrel extension and it runs perfect using DPMS-style mags.

The only word of warning I have regarding the .260 & 6.5CM in a semi using a DPMS pattern bolt is that the .080" DPMS firing pin is susceptible to primer cratering & piercing when running heavier loads and especially with heavier (139-142gr) bullets. The Armalite bolt uses a smaller .068" firing pin and it is much easier on the primers. Loads that would pierce the primer with a .080" DPMS firing pin come out with perfect looking firing pin impacts from the smaller .068" Armalite firing pin. I was having major problems piercing primers and the firing pin diameter difference is why GAP switched my rifle from the DPMS BCG/extension to the Armalite BCG/extension. That being said, you may want to consider having JP install your Armalite barrel extension on their barrel and headspace it to your current bolt. Or you could have another gunsmith spin you up a new barrel using your current barrel extension or a new barrel extension and your current bolt.

Last edited:
Okay found a barrel that is almost complete but was based on the DPMS gas system and might already have the DPMS barrel extension. I am seeing if they could change the barrel extension to Armalite and headspace on an Armalite bolt if I send them the extension and bolt. What is the difference between the gas system lengths? More or less gas for which model? I am guessing I could use a DPMS gas tube and an adjustable gas block and be fine.

Thanks, Skeeter

Okay found a barrel that is almost complete but was based on the DPMS gas system and might already have the DPMS barrel extension. I am seeing if they could change the barrel extension to Armalite and headspace on an Armalite bolt if I send them the extension and bolt. What is the difference between the gas system lengths? More or less gas for which model? I am guessing I could use a DPMS gas tube and an adjustable gas block and be fine.

Thanks, Skeeter

"Changing" barrel extensions on a completed barrel is generally a no-go if the barrel has already been "finished" to the extent that the gas port has been drilled but it is not impossible to do...just a PITA.

As for your other questions...the DPMS platform barrels/rifles use AR-15 length gas tubes (15 1/8" for rifle-length systems which I'm sure yours will be). You can NOT use the Armalite gas tube/block you already have with a DPMS barrel as they are not the same length (the Armalite AR-10 rifle-length tubes are closer to 15 1/2"). The differences in the amount of gas will vary somewhat, but that will be dependent more upon the size of the gas port in the barrel (DPMS and Armalite tend to use different size ports), etc., etc. An adjustable block on any large-frame AR is a good idea anyway though! ;)

Good luck!

Well it sounds like the barrels are to the point of final finishing so converting them to an Armalite extension is a no go. This builder (Saturn) is saying the barrel extensions are the same between Armalite and DPMS but since the designs are based on different gas lengths/ports that you would need to go with all DPMS internals (carrier, bolt, firing pin, etc). If this is all true is it better to go this route or get a basic barrel (not threaded for barrel ext, no gas port) and have a gunsmith install an Armalite barrel ext, gas port and headspace Armalite bolt. If the latter, any recommendations for a gunsmith?

Skeeter

Well it sounds like the barrels are to the point of final finishing so converting them to an Armalite extension is a no go. This builder (Saturn) is saying the barrel extensions are the same between Armalite and DPMS but since the designs are based on different gas lengths/ports that you would need to go with all DPMS internals (carrier, bolt, firing pin, etc). If this is all true is it better to go this route or get a basic barrel (not threaded for barrel ext, no gas port) and have a gunsmith install an Armalite barrel ext, gas port and headspace Armalite bolt. If the latter, any recommendations for a gunsmith?

Skeeter

This is the situation I was attempting to explain above in my earlier post. It makes little to no sense to install a DPMS-pattern barrel into an Armalite platform rifle (unless you just have an abundance of money burning holes in your pockets) because of the addt'l costs (new BCG, new gas system components, etc. and associated headaches.

Any number of highly competent and respected smiths here on the Hide should be able to do an AR-10 barrel for you, but depending on their backlog, availability of the blank you want to use, etc., etc., you may have to wait a while (have a search around the Hide for more details, but there are more than a few who can perform the work you'll need, including providing the barrel blank for the job if necessary). That said, aside from the usual Hide suspects, you should also check in with Paul Craddock at Craddock Precision re: his Armalite AR-10 pattern barrels. He generally keeps a good stock of SS match blanks available in the more common calibers, but having never sourced a 6.5mm tube from him, you'll have to call and/or e-mail to find out what's available and when. His lead times are generally 3-5 weeks for a barrel built to your specs as opposed to months. Paul just finished a couple barrels for me and is getting ready to do a DPMS-pattern barrel for a buddy of mine and fellow Hide member (.308, 18.5" based on a Douglas blank IIRC). His work is 110% and his prices and lead times are some of the best you'll find. Worth a call/e-mail to see what he can do for you and when once he's got your bolt in hand to set everything up.

Here's a link to his site with contact info: Wix.com craddockprecision created by pa4444 based on pro-bistro

Thanks for the inputs. Talked to Paul and need to find a blank for him. Any good sources for 260/6.5mm blanks?

Skeeter

Thanks for the inputs. Talked to Paul and need to find a blank for him. Any good sources for 260/6.5mm blanks?

Skeeter

If that's the route you decide to take, then check with bugholes here on the Hide (Southern Precision Rifles) as Greg and Co. usually have multiple blanks in stock from highly reputable mfgs, including Rock Creek, Bartlein, Mullerworks, Krieger, and others. I don't recall if they do complete AR barrels or not, but its worth a call/e-mail/PM to inquire while you are checking on available barrels that meet your requirements.