• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

Re: Army M24 Build Thread

anyone want to identify this??

I dont know

p_zpsf204bfd0.jpg

and it has the proper cut
p3_zps817ca656.jpg

That appears to be a Redfield W490 but I've never seen one with the bevel cut into it like this one. It also has a very rough finish for a Redfield W490 though. Could be a W490 made by some other firm. Cloward has made similar bases.

i will see if there is a stamp on that mount.
thank you for the reply!

here are some manuals i dug up
m2_zps79a11181.jpg

m1_zps5b5fa477.jpg

I got the latest M24 SWS TM but a digital copy of it. Pretty nice to have for my clone rifle. It would be nice to get the FEB 1989 version somewhere.

Heath

what are the differences in these mounts?

f1_zpsce300e88.jpg

f2_zps1c4f5b6f.jpg

f3_zps9c5f8090.jpg

the right mount is a takeoff of a real m24
i have no clue on the left
fm2_zps0360e186.jpg
fm1_zps77e56329.jpg

The mount on the right is made by Remington and the one on the left is OK Webber.

anyone know why socks were included in the deployment kit?

socks_zps2132bd84.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the first time I've seen the HTR stock and mag fed on a M24...and a suppressor to boot!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j52_ktI6BoM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j52_ktI6BoM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

How and when did these versions get out there? </div></div>

Mount looks like the MARS (Modular Accessory Rail System)circa 2007.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone know why socks were included in the deployment kit?

socks_zps2132bd84.jpg
</div></div>

Fill it with sand to make a sand sock rifle rest in the field.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what are the differences in these mounts?

f1_zpsce300e88.jpg

f2_zps1c4f5b6f.jpg

f3_zps9c5f8090.jpg

</div></div>

712601 Only includes the rear Palma sight
712600 (red box with chrome label) also includes the front sight with insert discs

Thats only a best guess from reading the brochures I have.

it looks as the 600 is all blued
the 601 and 602 looks like the windage and mount plates
are manganese phosphate?
the 602 also has cut off corner near the elevation knob

Here are some group photos

from left to right
601-600-602
comp1_zps4d2ab02f.jpg

comp_zpsb9c50fc8.jpg

the 600 (Center) also appears to be two parts note allen
cap screw holding the plate.

I will Assume the 600 is the proper iron for the
1988- M24.

thoughts anyone?

here are the instructions that came with them
inst1_zpsdb9d3d09.jpg

Here are a couple pictures I pulled out of an Army PowerPoint presentation. They were the issue item at the time it was written. I am not sure what the stock numbers are but I can look around to see if I can find them somewhere. I would think any of the above would work just fine. My issued rifle came with OK Weber iron sights. I picked up some Redfield Palma sights on Ebay for my build at home.
M24RedfieldSights_zps288d12c1.jpg

that matches the 602 pictured above.

What year was that presentation?

Well the picture Driftwood provided is of a 602 model for sure but which one is correct for the M24? It would depend on which model was in production at the time of purchase I would think. Its not unreasonable to assume that all three versions were used on the M24 unless the for instance the 600 and/or 601 was out of production at the time of the initial M24 production in 1986-87. If any or all models were in production concurrently with the M24 production then it would be possible for any of the three to be on M24s until the time that Redfield went out of business. Take for instance the M68 Close Combat Optic otherwise known as the Aimpoint. The M68 is the M68 even though that encompasses the Aimpoint M2, M3 and M4 models. There is no distinction in the model number as far as the military supply system is concerned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the first time I've seen the HTR stock and mag fed on a M24...and a suppressor to boot!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j52_ktI6BoM"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j52_ktI6BoM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

How and when did these versions get out there? </div></div>

The M24A2 was made to address the need to enhance the M24's capabilitys. Remington added the badger ordnance mag system designed for the M24 only. Also the MARS rail was added along with the HS Precision stock that is adjustable cheek and comb height adjustment. To bring it all together they re profiled the end of the barrel to accomodate the over the barrel thread on suppressor. The day scope was upgraded to a leupold Mk4 3.5 to 10 FFP illuminated i believe.

Heath

Which day optic case should be used in a 1988-system?

thank you in advance
cs1_zps079d17ca.jpg

cs2_zpsdced660e.jpg

Neither of them, the original scope cases did not have any straps however they were grey not black.

Does anyone on this thread have a M24 rebuild rifle kit? That would be nice to see.

I loved shooting with iron sights with my M24 clone rifle but it takes some getting used to. I am used to optics not irons lol.
When i had Phil who worked at redfield tune up my irons they worked flawlessly.

Heath

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cma</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that matches the 602 pictured above.

What year was that presentation? </div></div>

The Powerpoint I have was last revised in 2006. In the revision notes it stated that the Redfield sight was no longer used because they had gone out of business and OK Weber currently supplied the issued sight. Sort of a well of common knowledge. I can't find any other documentation as to the date it originated.

Using my google fu checking for "Redfield M24 sights" I ran across this thread offering a set of sights taken off an M24 from 3 years ago. It has some good pictures of the 602.
I really don't think it would matter which Redfield Palma sight you had. I think any of the three would work fine. I didn't know there were even different versions of the Palma sight until you showed the 600,601 and 602. I just matched looked for a sight that matched the picture I had in the PowerPoint.

Here is the link to the Redfield Palma sight sold here 3 years ago, in case you are interested.
Redfield Palma 602

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone on this thread have a M24 rebuild rifle kit? That would be nice to see.
Heath </div></div>

Heath,
I don't know if you have seen this thread but at "longbow" receieved a RM24 last fall and posted some pictures. I was surprised it came with everything. If you can snag one its a great deal and worth the wait.

RM24 Thread

Some of the parts pictured in this picture was purchased from
Remington Arms in june of 2004.
for the most part the webber mounts and bases.

2004m24_zps6a41b60e.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Driftwood</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone on this thread have a M24 rebuild rifle kit? That would be nice to see.
Heath </div></div>

Heath,
I don't know if you have seen this thread but at "longbow" receieved a RM24 last fall and posted some pictures. I was surprised it came with everything. If you can snag one its a great deal and worth the wait.

RM24 Thread </div></div>

I did not see the irons that came with that rebuild however
notice the two piece scope base.
Great kit!! thank you for the info

The iron sights are in the picture below from "longbow"s post. They are above the barrelled action. Its just not a very good picture of them. It would be difficult to tell which version they are.

I found it interesting though that while the the rebuilt rifle had a Leupold MK4 M3A scope from 1990, it had the newer two piece base, instead of the one piece found on older models.

M24Complete.jpg

Last edited:

To me, i am fond of the one piece base. Badger Ordnance makes the current issue version PN 306-07-M24SWS. If i could find the leupold version i would be happy. They thing with my rifle is, on one hand i want it to spec which aside from scope, rings and base then i am all set. But on the other hand having the seekins 0 MOA base with seekins rings and a modern scope is taking advantage of new technology.

Heath

Those are the Redfield sights and bases pictured above in that rebuild kit.

Yes, the day optic one piece base went away some years ago when Leupold started providing a two piece base. At the time it was a logistical decision by Leupold that allowed them to reduce their product line. See, the two piece base works for both Long and Short actions. Badger still makes the one piece base and I know that Remington has used them from time to time.

The iron sights are in the picture below from "longbow"s post. They are above the barrelled action. Its just not a very good picture of them. It would be difficult to tell which version they are.

I found it interesting though that while the the rebuilt rifle had a Leupold MK4 M3A scope from 1990, it had the newer two piece base, instead of the one piece found on older models.

M24Complete.jpg

I noticed the same. I am under the assumption that Remington uses what ever they have to complete the rebuild.
The iron rear base appears to be the redfield style as there is no notch as seen in the ok webber
Thanks for posting that shot.

here are the most recent

in 2004 these came right from Remington

webber_zps2bdfa42d.jpg

I dont know if i should keep this thread flowing
However i thought i share with you what i did here.

i Dug up couple of the original leupold bases
they need a little refinishing
so i took all three parts front sight base, day optic base and rear iron base.
Sand blasted them.
i got a park kit from these guys
1DE554A1_zps6ad30f0b.jpg

basically followed the directions

here the parts are after sandblast then first step cleaning with the degreaser
B469A551_zps632808f8.jpg

then heated the park solution outside on the grill

then tossed them in this
7C372E86_zps14d1f648.jpg

here they are after 15 minutes of park solution
the final step is the dewater/oiler
47C57D2F_zps274e3d48.jpg

here it is mounted.

I think it could go a little darker. The kit allows you to redo it if you need to go darker.
997F2BEC_zps196bfb85.jpg

Nice, thanks for the tutorial. Collecting parts for my own M24 right now, wish they would make this a sticky next to the M40 build thread.

i grabbed one of the flash suppressors it matches perfect
0F9CB386_zpsb447e438.jpg

it matches these better however these rings ever so slightly hit the top of the rear iron base.
61381F3C_zpsfd9f8b07.jpg

Nice, thanks for the tutorial. Collecting parts for my own M24 right now, wish they would make this a sticky next to the M40 build thread.
nice! Please post pics on your progress!

I am curious as to the difference between a 40X trigger, a M24 trigger and the X-Mark Pro trigger.

I knew the information on the trigger used one the M24 was in this thread so I reviewed it and found this.:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was a thread on here that talked about the M24 trigger being used on the M40a3/a5. My question is for those that have actually bought an M24 straight from Remington is that when you got your gun did it have an M24 trigger or regular Remington trigger? </div></div>

I have both an M24 replica built by Andrew Webber of Armament Tehcnologies and an orignial Remington M24. The trigger used on the M24 is a standard M700 trigger, not a 40X trigger, and it has been Custom Shop modified. The factory M700 trigger assembly is modified with a second allen adjustable screw with with spring accessed from the outside for changing the trigger pull weight. To provide a bearing point for this second trigger weight spring, the housing of the trigger assembly has an extension block that extends from the rear bottom of the trigger housing. Trigger weight can be adjusted from 2 lbs to 8 lbs by the shooter himself. The normal trigger weight adjusting screw, located at the front of the housing, is adjusted at the factory to break at 2 lbs minimum so that the shooter can not adjust the trigger weight to below 2 lbs. If you have a replica and don't have this trigger, Mike Lau from Texas Brigade Armory can replicate it for you. It will be identical to the Remington Custom Shop M700/M24 Trigger. </div></div>

260zh4o.jpg

The upper trigger is a factory Remington 40-X with adjustable pull weight. The letter "X" is stamped onto its sideplate.

The lower trigger is the M24SWS unit modified by the Remington Custom Shop specifically for the M24. It is pre-set to 2 pounds 8 ounces minimum, and the adjustments sealed with epoxy to eliminate changes. The external trigger pad adjustment allows the soldier to adjust the pull weight above the limit of 2.8#'s, up to 8#'s maximum.

24l4z85.jpg

View of the left side of the M24 trigger. Stamped on its lower left front sideplate are the letters "CM"

If anyone has any more information on the M24 trigger I would be interested in what you have to say. I currently have Mike Lau of TBA modifying my trigger. In speaking with him it would seem the difference is the added set screw on the old M700 trigger as mentioned above. When I asked about the modification Mike mentioned the adjustment was similar to the X Mark trigger, with the addition of the set screw. I am curious as to the differences between the three triggers.

Last edited: