• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

here is the actual data sheet on a 2005 tuned Remington m24 trigger
q_zpsab823e27.jpg

here is a set of the early rings
The lower claw will hit the iron rear base.
BD592EB0_zps690de354.jpg

this picture illustrates the different nuts used
the older style are flatter. This proposes a problem
with them hitting the rear iron base. not enough room to
get the torque wrench socket on there.
A89778A7_zpsc21132f1.jpg

by using the newer style nuts allows the use of the torque wrench.
7256F65F_zps1d8cc180.jpg

Just one thing to point out, these were prototype rings for the M24 and were only ever on the bid submission rifles and never on the weapons that reached the soldiers hands. Nice rings they may be but you can't tighten and torque the rear scope ring screw while the rear iron sight base is mounted, there isn't enough clearance. There is barely enough clearance with the Leupold Ultra rings and subsequently nearly every rear sight base show marks or minor damage as a result of torquing the rear scope ring.

Edit: I see you figured that out by trial, error and modification.

Last edited:
Just one thing to point out, these were prototype rings for the M24 and were only ever on the bid submission rifles and never on the weapons that reached the soldiers hands. Nice rings they may be but you can't tighten and torque the rear scope ring screw while the rear iron sight base is mounted, there isn't enough clearance. There is barely enough clearance with the Leupold Ultra rings and subsequently nearly every rear sight base show marks or minor damage as a result of torquing the rear scope ring.

Edit: I see you figured that out by trial, error and modification.

Good info. Thank you! Using the shouldered nuts (shown above ) allowed the clearance.

Bringing back the EMA topic...

IIRC, lockandloaded posted a pic of the later plastic unit, CAGE CODE: 27777, NSN 1240-01-537-6986. I have the same. But the NSN says it belongs to the M110 Sniper system.

We took the unit off a newer (2006-7 cant remember..) M24, with a LR/T scope.

Whats the deal? Here's a picture and the NSN white paper.

100_0487_zpsaed115e5.jpg

White Paper for NSN 1240-01-537-6986

IIRC, lockandloaded posted a pic of the later plastic unit, CAGE CODE: 27777, NSN 1240-01-537-6986. I have the same. But the NSN says it belongs to the M110 Sniper system.

100_0487_zpsaed115e5.jpg

The objective thread size is the same for the scopes on the M24 and the M110, if I recall correctly. Its common for NSN's to be assigned for something as simple as a manufacturer change or procurement contract/ But cant think of any other reason.

Would have just switched around the rings so the nut was on the right side.

I thought the same however you would have had to mill the opposite side.
My thoughts were if I am going to hack up a 300$ set of rings it might as well be a replaceable part off them. ;)

There is no replaceable part on those rings, best you could hope for is to find another set as they have not been made in over 20 years.

As to the EMA question MescaBug, The older M24 EMA s are not made anymore, the plastic version came next and now there is another new M110 aluminum EMA in use, maybe Eodsix can post a picture of the new one?

As with any other part no longer in production, as the parts get used up the new parts see use...however as the M24 becomes the M24E1(M2010) with a 50MM objective there will be another EMA for that...

Last edited:
Any WB490 base that is to be used on the M24 will have to have the 60 degree bevel cut in it for the scope ring claw to fit unless you're going to use a nonstandard scope base that has extra elevation built into it. Look back in the thread. There are several postings regarding this issue with several pics.

Evidently they were using what they had. The older EMA (laser filter) isn't in production any more and hasn't been for many years. Yes the threads are similar but they aren't the exact same. I tried using one of the plastic filters on my M3A and when I tightened the lock ring the threads jumped. No good positive lockup. On the other hand, I used the plastic filter on my M14 EBR-RI with the Mark 4 3.5-10 Variable and it locked up fine.

Here is the new Laser Filter Unit for the M110 SASS. Aluminum body (NSN 1240-01-537-6986 same as the older plastic model) and fits much better than the plastic ones.
IMG_1051_zps4ff13188.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the EMA.

As for the WB490 base, here is my original base still in box. As you can see, it already has a small bevel to it. Does it have to be cut more to clear the newer shouldered nuts?

IMG_2743_zps46b1498c.jpg

There is no replaceable part on those rings, best you could hope for is to find another set as they have not been made in over 20 years.

Ironically I have extra claws of different types one appears the same.

E5015636_zpsb1081f9d.jpg

MescaBug,
look at yours closely I be leave it will be the lower one
meaning it will have to be modified.
the upper one is a actual takeoff from a M24
if it resembles this it should work.

compare_zpsc43f45ea.jpg

CMA is correct. The small bevel you refer to is the mating surface for the Palma sight. The 60 degree deep bevel is on the inside like the Remington modified WB490 that CMA is showing you. Any WB490 that doesn't come from Remington must have the bevel for the scope ring claw to clear. Secondly, you'll need 7/64 allen screws to replace those flat tip screws. Lastly, after you have the bevel cut, the base and screws should be manganese phosphate finished.

Last edited:
I've had 0 luck reading any DoD QR codes with a civilian smart phone bar code reader.

I've had 0 luck reading any DoD QR codes with a civilian smart phone bar code reader.

Prob just an inventory scan tag. I've also seen them on M4 magwells. Would be cool if it came up with Tennebrex Corp or whoever.

100_0487_zpsaed115e5.jpg

NSN 1240-01-537-6986 is a LASER FILTER UNIT whose part number is 13010579. Its unit price is $224.70 and its delivery range is not available. This NSN was assigned on 02/20/2006 and is used on end items M110 SEMI AUTOMATIC SNIPER SYSTEM, M110 SEMI AUTOMATIC SNIPER SYSTEM. The item does not have a nuclear hardened feature or any other critical feature such as tolerance, fit restriction or application. Item does not contain Precious Metal. This NSN's main defense parts suppliers are: COMBINED SYSTEMS INC. and L 3 COMMUNICATIONS.

I looked around for a few months for a Redfield WB490 base, without much luck. I finally came across "Out Back Gun Parts". I gave them a call and after an exchange of a few emails with pictures. They said they would mill one for me, that would include the correct 60 degree modification on the back, to accomodate the scope rings, with the correct finish and the correct hex head screws. They had a few other parts that had been a bit elusive for me as well. I was worried that they would sock it to me for the machined part, but to my surprise it was only $50. I paid $30 for a WB670 on an impulse buy before I realised it was the wrong part. So I didn't feel too bad about the $50. When I recieved the part I mounted it on my rifle along with my Badger one piece M24 base, then mounted my scope and fount the clearance to be perfect. I took the scope off and mounted my Redfield Palma sight and it too fit perfectly. Out Back Gun Parts said they made several. If you call ask for the "Redfield M24 WB490" and they will know what you are looking for. I didn't think to take pictures of it before I sent my rifle off to be rebarrelled, but I was very happy with the part. Below is a link to Out Back Gun Parts website. It took me a few calls to get through, but once I got them they were very quick at getting me what I needed.

Out Back Gun Parts

Last edited:
Good deal. Outback IS a great place to get Redfield stuff for sure or to have hand made parts.

I ended up getting the Redfield base for the front, although I already had one from Champion shooter supply, and the Redfield "Big Bore" international front sight as well. I was very happy with the Modified WB490 they sent me. They offered to buy my WB670 base from me, but I never discussed price. I wanted to see if I could use it on one of my other R700's before I got rid of it. I wish I had known about them sooner, but then I would have missed the fun of scouring ebay and gunbroker several times a day. I wonder if they would be interested in making a flash suppressor. I see the one for sell on gunbroker and always laugh at the $375 he is asking for it. I don't know that I have ever really seen them used other than to see if they fit, but if there was one that was inexpensive enough, I would probably pick one up, even though I would never use it.

CMA is correct. The small bevel you refer to is the mating surface for the Palma sight. The 60 degree deep bevel is on the inside like the Remington modified WB490 that CMA is showing you. Any WB490 that doesn't come from Remington must have the bevel for the scope ring claw to clear. Secondly, you'll need 7/64 allen screws to replace those flat tip screws. Lastly, after you have the bevel cut, the base and screws should be manganese phosphate finished.

Good info, thanks.

Driftwood: I have a few WB490 and 723001 bases I might not need.. Send me a PM if interested... maybe we can work something out.

That flash suppressor on gunbroker has been there for what, 6 months now? Ridiculous.... The is no serial on it, any good gunsmith can make one. It would be hard to tell if its the real thing or not. Looks good in the deployment kit, but its of no use at the range...

Last edited:
A machinist would be a better choice for getting a repro flash hider done, very simple in design.

One thing to note, there are 2 different versions of lock ring, one for the 40X front sight base and one for the OK Webber, however the FH itself is the same.

On the front sight bases, the original issue for the redfield sights is a Remington 40X not a Redfield, they were made in house so I am told, see the posts in this thread on the differences.

On the front sight bases, the original issue for the redfield sights is a Remington 40X not a Redfield, they were made in house so I am told, see the posts in this thread on the differences.

Right. The only differences I found between the two is that the Remmy in-house front base has no stamping and is more or less .170" high. The Redfield #732001 is exactly .175" and has the height stamping on top. What I did, is use a spare Redfield #723003 base. It is .275" high, but the stamping is under. I milled it to the right height.

Redfield_fr_bases_zpse1de1844.jpg

The way to tell the Remingtons is that they have flats on the corners of the base as pictured some pages back in this thread

A couple Remington bases were measured last night and came out to .167-8 so there may be some variance over the production years.

I have done that exact thing for clone rifles, used the taller and machined them to spec. works out very well since the taller bases seem to be in better supply.

http://www.tactical-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/stjsssniper14.jpg

Photo of SSgt J. Gilliland firing his M24. He holds the longest confirmed with 7.62 at 1250M. Note that his rifle has the rear sight base removed. There are some other pictures floating around showing his team members rifles also missing the rear base, but do not show if the front base is also removed. Probably to streamline and reduce snagging, and help lighten the loadout.

The requirement for metallic sights states they were used if the day optic goes tits up. But in reality they were only deployed for shooting competition matches. Like the flash suppressor, ARD, laser filter, cosine indicator, etc, most of these were left in the transport case.

The rifle I am issued had the rear base removed and the armorer kept the sights. I can't imagine any reason that I would ever want them outside the states. I doubt the iron sights on any M24 have ever been used in combat other than ballast in a pack or drag bag. I still plan on keeping both mounts on my personal "M24" build and look forwart to using the iron sights from time to time.

Driftwood, I still haven't managed to work the new forum layout, but want to give your reply a "like" or whatever its called.

And to add that this topic has Replies: 905 Views: 225,298 but not yet made a sticky...no love for Army

Last edited:
It's funny you say that, I was thinking of making summary of topics discussed on each page in this thread as it has become a bit long and unwieldy, when you are looking for information on a specific topic. It would be nice if it where a "sticky". I am still getting use to the new format as well, one of the things I do like is that if you go to "quick links" at the top of the page a pull down menu will come up. If you choose "subscriptions" then it will bring up threads you have posted on. I use that to find the "M24 build" thread when it gets buried. I have noticed that the M40A1 gets a lot more love.

I think the M40 and M40A1 both have their stickies...

Somebody should create a new sticky thread for the M24, with all necessary information containted in a few pages. The original thread is now 19 pages long, and there is a bunch of unnecessary ranting in the first pages. (3 pages long).

Just my 2 cents..

I don't work for "Big Green" so I can't say what they are issued. I wasn't issued anything in the way of ammo carriers for the M24, what I use is compass pouches, with 2 cut down plastic carriers, each holding 5 rounds each. I have seen everything from the brown box they come in to commercial ammo carriers like 8541 tacticals "Ammo Burrito". Anything that keeps them accessible and prevents them from rattling around works. It's not a high volume rifle, so you don't need a ton of ammo accessible at once. I usually carry 30 rounds in the above configuration and then extra rounds in the brown box they come in, inside my pack.

1DBDB66D-10B1-4D49-A814-076B26D1FAD6-3620-0000159D2BD00AEC_zps2adfce2b.jpg

These ones are crap. Replaced the elastic webbing with ammo sleeves. Snaps, not velcro, Joes will get confused!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 36
Those camo ones pictured look to be for 12 gauge ammo, but no these type pouches are not that great.

The M24 accessory kit contained an Eagle foldable ammo pouch to hold 20 rounds, the HSRC also has provisions for ammo storage as well as the stock pack.

I don't work for "Big Green" so I can't say what they are issued. I wasn't issued anything in the way of ammo carriers for the M24, what I use is compass pouches, with 2 cut down plastic carriers, each holding 5 rounds each. I have seen everything from the brown box they come in to commercial ammo carriers like 8541 tacticals "Ammo Burrito". Anything that keeps them accessible and prevents them from rattling around works. It's not a high volume rifle, so you don't need a ton of ammo accessible at once. I usually carry 30 rounds in the above configuration and then extra rounds in the brown box they come in, inside my pack.

1DBDB66D-10B1-4D49-A814-076B26D1FAD6-3620-0000159D2BD00AEC_zps2adfce2b.jpg

What brand of ammo did you buy to get those black cartridge trays? I've been doing the same thing for years but with Federal trays or American Eagle trays, both red and opaque respectively.

Those are Remington Trays, i have had the same thing. I just ordered (1) of the M24 pouches from Charley's Surplus so it will be a nice way to hold my ammo.

No that is used on the eye piece to reduce glare for shooting through glass, etc.
It is part of the accessory kit as shown in change 8 of the manual.

How are those swivels correct?

I have seen D kits from the initial issue through 2006 and all of them have Uncle Mikes QD Super swivels with the plastic lock removed and parkerized.

The Uncle Mikes milspec swivels have been seen in pictures, showing use in the field but no evidence they were issued with the M24.