• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Army M24 Build Thread

Re: Army M24 Build Thread

Yea I'm proud of both of them. They are both sub .5 MOA guns. My best grouping from the clone is 3" at 800 yds but bested that just a few weeks ago with the Remington doing a 2.5" at 725 meters. I load my own M118LR ammo which is as good if not better than Lake City's. I'm proud of the whole system, guns and ammo.

quoting Backstop....

The whole thing his scope is in is a Larue STOMP mount sans the NVG arm.

Awhile(YEARS!) ago there was a pic of a shooter with this exact setup at the International Sniper Comp.

Ah, the SF soldier...If they patented everyone after the Q course then there would be lawsuits service-wide for violating intellectual property rights.
grin.gif

You're right, I remember seeing that at the sniper comp. Also I saw a pic of that in a book at Hastings just last week as a matter of fact.

The Laurue STOMP was their answer to mounting a Snap On Night Sight without having to put a MERS or MARS on the weapon. His use of this with an EOTECH is inovative. I got the Badger Ordnance mini rail scope cap which replaced the Mk 4 scope cap on the front ring and I mounted a Trijicon Red Dot to it. Not quite as bulky as this rig.

I have a Larue STOMP, and a set of DD Ross rings. I use the Ross rings more.

It's a weight issue with me. As an example I like the amount of 1913 rail that the MARS rail adds. In reality, it won't take that long for me to ditch it for something smaller, lighter, and without the bulk.

Less is more. Less weight gives more endurance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pre64WINmarksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a photo for your reference. Seems a .670 is a bit low but then I don't know. This is the mount that you're looking for to do a M24 with the Redfield Palma sights.

IMG_0051.jpg
</div></div>

Is this a modified rear base for fitting the under the scope rings? The bases I've seen have a bevel along both sides on top so that the base could fit under the scope-ring clamp. Other bases I've seen sold as factory Redfield had only the small outer bevel and than a, .25" wide flat along the top. Unless a lower base be used the flat top would seem to interfere with the rings mounting.

Glad this thread is still going </div></div>

To answer your question about the beveling, YES, it is beveled on the inside. Sorry I don't have a picture of it to show you. The pic in this post is mine but I don't currently have a pic from that angle but YES there is about a 45 degree bevel on the inside top edge of the rear base.
</div></div>

pic of the bevel

007.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone tell me what paint they used to paint the M24s that are shipped to the army? Is it black oxide, duracoat, ect. </div></div>

If you are referring to the factory finish, it is a black epoxy finish like powder coating. The finish is electrostatically applied and thermally cured. Remington calls it Rem-Tuf(r). The bolt is coated with a second finish that acts like a lubricant so the Rem-Tuf doesn't have to be removed from the camming and sliding areas.

If you are refering the any other colors you see, they are user applied, Krylon, Rust-O-Leum, Aervoe camo spray paints. I personally like the Aervoe as they use the US Mil Spec color pallet. </div></div>

Thanks thats the answer I was looking for was the factory finish. I know we all paint our rifles with Krylon once we get them. I want to build an M24 but didnt know what the factory finish was.

Can some one tell me if badger makes a m24 20 moa rail for a short action? I know they make it for the long action but I need it in sa

Doubt it....If its a SA its not an M24. So if you want one that looks like it for a SA the old Leupold Mark 4 rail would be the one, but I believe it is a 0 moa.

I am sure I have some extra ones.

GG&G used to make Short Action Single Piece scope mounts that had extra MOAs built in but I couldn't tell you if they still do. So many manufacturers are dropping old style bases in favor of Picatinny style bases. Of course it's not a real M24 piece because it's a short action like the gent above stated.

This is my first post on the forum, but I'm jumping right in.

I am working on completing an M24 build and am at the confusing point of deciding which rear iron sight base is the "real" one.
I have a Redfield Palma sight but the base I have is too tall and I think it is actually for a Model 70(as some bases pictured in this thread may be also). Have purchased the current issue RPA bases from OK Weber, but he is out of Palma rear bases. So here are some questions: Various forum photos show different rear bases, which one is the absolute official US govmt issued configuration and size? Were there several styles used? What is the appropriate height of the correct base? Just a few questions I know members can help with.

Here is the quick answer. The current OK Webber base is pictured here first. The Redfield base is pictured below. Note that the OK Webber has 3 mounting holes and only two are used. The Refield base only has two holes. There are only two holes in the M24 Receiver. You may see many Redfield type bases that have 3 mounting holes but you won't see that on a genuine M24.

IMG_1227.jpg

pic of the bevel
IMG_1108_zps9f70e2a1.jpg

[/quote]

Last edited:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Army swapped to RPA rear bases and irons when Redfield (before being revived under the Leupold brand name) went out of business.

Champion's Choice in Tennessee still carries front and rear iron sight blocks that are going to be the closest you can get to original waiting:

http://www.champchoice.com/cat-Mounts,_Rings,_Bases-694.aspx </div></div>

So which front and rear sight bases would be the closet to the actual M24?

I would have to say the Redfield sights and bases are the most common for the US Army's M24 fleet.

For you who had clones built, who did you get to have the iron sight bases installed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the quick answer. The current OK Webber base is pictured here first. The Redfield base is pictured below. Note that the OK Webber has 3 mounting holes and only two are used. The Refield base only has two holes. There are only two holes in the M24 Receiver. You may see many Redfield type bases that have 3 mounting holes but you won't see that on a genuine M24.

remingtonm24e.jpg

pic of the bevel

007.jpg
</div></div> [/quote]

Yup. Just give OK weber a call and say I want the front and rear iron sight bases for the M24. I think it took all of 3 min to do and they were on their way. Awesome people to do business with. Plus i love the cut out of the current OK rear base, clears the ring nut perfectly. The rear base was not on their site when I last checked, have to call it in and he only had a few left when I called. The front is there on the site under dovetail bases .325D

If some one did go with the champion choice bases anybody know what two bases should be used. If any one has used those do you have the correct part #'s?

BTT
Anyone out there got an answer to this Champions Choice question, I can't help him?

Does anyone know what the serial number range would be to be an authentic M24 like we do for the M40s? I have seen some G serial numbers. Does anyone know what the first ones when when they first came out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would have to say the Redfield sights and bases are the most common for the US Army's M24 fleet.
</div></div>

Yes this true, but as you know and has been posted the were replaced by the Webber sight.

A comment on the Badger Ord rings(standard steel version), these are the closest to the early issue mk4 rings but the edges are a little sharper on the Badger Ord. It wouldn't be supprising if Badger Ord rings have been been aquired as replacements for lost mk4 rings but I have no evidence to back that up. When I ordered my long action base from Marty he said these were used on many issue rifles as replacement to earlier bases. I did not ask him about his rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">quoting Backstop....

The whole thing his scope is in is a Larue STOMP mount sans the NVG arm.

Awhile(YEARS!) ago there was a pic of a shooter with this exact setup at the International Sniper Comp.

Ah, the SF soldier...If they patented everyone after the Q course then there would be lawsuits service-wide for violating intellectual property rights.
grin.gif

</div></div>

There appears to be a tripod mount block attached to bottom of this stock. Is that what that is?-hopefully threaded up through the aluminum internal rail common sense

Silence is deafening. I assume that's the case as photo tripods have been used in the Army. I think the Brits are training with photo tripods as well now. If Redfield is being made under Leupold, would they start remaking the front and rear needed bases again? Or are they making scopes only? Good news about the scopes, if they make a new "accu-range" I'm tempted to do an early m40a1 clone!!! Gotta find a smear stock and old action first!

I did buy a current production accu range scope from them in 3-9 power, overall pretty nice scope. But if they do make the bases again i would buy a set.

I know the M24 trigger is almost inpossible to get a hold of. Does anyone know of a gunsmith that knows how to make one? I think that this is really the only way that we can get one.

Anyone know if the remi/the army glass beds these? The stock have the alu bedding block, but are M24 also glass bedded? Anyone know?

The M24 was not bedded into the stock. This was done so that the stock could be field replaceable by the operator should it become damaged or non-serviceable. In theory all the supply guy would have to do is order a new stock and the operator could switch it then and there without having to return it to an armorer or Remington.

That's great information. Thank you Trigger Monkey.
Anyone know if 308 would feed from a 30-06 internal mag?
If not, what would need to be done?

For all who are interested, I have updated my post on M24 Iron Sights, Bases, etc. Posted pictures of the OK Webber Tracker sights that are issued with the current M24 Systems. See the changes back on page 8.

Heads up Someone has the entire iron/optic set up for sale over in Arfcom listed as new take off. Don't want to link it, but its in the Optics-new section of the EE.

He's a friend of mine and those OK Webber sights I pictured here are the ones he's selling.

USMC GRUNT: The reason that it is a long action is because the army at one point wanted to be able to change to the 300WM.

Not trying to argue or cause a pissing match by any means but the M24 is a long action because when it was first designed they were chambered in 30-06. When the army realized that there was a shortage of 30-06 match ammo instead of buying all new rifles and changing the design to a short action they just rebarreled the existing M24 and continued producing it with a long action in 7.62. hope this helps your argument with Benchshoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's a friend of mine and those OK Webber sights I pictured here are the ones he's selling.
</div></div>

It looked like that sellers photo was the exact same as yours, EODsix! Just saw his post tonight, might be calling him soon.

Since there is much ado about the iron sight bases, I thought I would caveat some of mine and others previous posts with regard to the iron sight bases. I have stripped the paint off so that you can see, with better contrast, the rear Redfield (Stock #715005) "Mk10 and International Rear Attaching Base WB-490". Someone asked if there was a bevel on the inside edge in a previous post to which I incorrectly posted I figured that the bevel was about 45 degrees. It is in fact 60 degrees from the outside face. This bevel was done at the Remington factory. The WB-490 does not have this bevel from Redfield, it is squared off.
IMG_1108_zps9f70e2a1.jpg

Also you can see by this next picture what the factory finish looks like. Early on, Remington was Parkerizing the rear sight base and the floor metal using Zinc Phosphate, which is a grey finish, and then the black RemTuf coating was applied to match the barrel and receiver. That finish chipped easily on those two parts so Remington discontinued the black finish on those two parts. The rear sight base, scope base and scope rings were finished using just Zinc Phosphate as seen in this picture. They later determined that these parts were rusting in places not readily seen. Remington changed the parkerization about 2006 to Manganese Phosphate which is a black finish.
IMG_1107_zps6e80a295.jpg

Last edited:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was a thread on here that talked about the M24 trigger being used on the M40a3/a5. My question is for those that have actually bought an M24 straight from Remington is that when you got your gun did it have an M24 trigger or regular Remington trigger? </div></div>

I have both an M24 replica built by Andrew Webber of Armament Tehcnologies and an orignial Remington M24. The trigger used on the M24 is a standard M700 trigger, not a 40X trigger, and it has been Custom Shop modified. The factory M700 trigger assembly is modified with a second allen adjustable screw with with spring accessed from the outside for changing the trigger pull weight. To provide a bearing point for this second trigger weight spring, the housing of the trigger assembly has an extension block that extends from the rear bottom of the trigger housing. Trigger weight can be adjusted from 2 lbs to 8 lbs by the shooter himself. The normal trigger weight adjusting screw, located at the front of the housing, is adjusted at the factory to break at 2 lbs minimum so that the shooter can not adjust the trigger weight to below 2 lbs. If you have a replica and don't have this trigger, Mike Lau from Texas Brigade Armory can replicate it for you. It will be identical to the Remington Custom Shop M700/M24 Trigger. </div></div>

260zh4o.jpg

The upper trigger is a factory Remington 40-X with adjustable pull weight. The letter "X" is stamped onto its sideplate.

The lower trigger is the M24SWS unit modified by the Remington Custom Shop specifically for the M24. It is pre-set to 2 pounds 8 ounces minimum, and the adjustments sealed with epoxy to eliminate changes. The external trigger pad adjustment allows the soldier to adjust the pull weight above the limit of 2.8#'s, up to 8#'s maximum.

24l4z85.jpg

View of the left side of the M24 trigger. Stamped on its lower left front sideplate are the letters "CM"

Since you mentioned that you had a CM stamped on your Remington M24 trigger I got curious and opened mine up to see if I had anything similar and, I don't. My factory M24 trigger doesn't have a single mark on it. Just another one of those mysteries from the Remington Custom Shop.

May I ask, your rear sight base pictured above, does it have the RemTuf finish on it like the receiver and barrel or is it the black manganese phosphate? I can't really tell in the photo, it seems to have a sheen to it like the RemTuf.

Another question for you, that 40X trigger you show in your post, it has a different safety lever on it. Does the USMC M40A1 use a 40X trigger because I think I've seen M40A1s with that safety lever?

The sight bases, both front and rear, come in a polished blued finish. No type of coating, like the Rem-Tough® finish applied to the rec/bbl.

That safety lever may be the same type used on M40 rifles. Norm Chandler detailed it in one of his 5 volumes D.F.A. He bemoaned the change to the newer style safety levers which now have that hole machined into the arm, saying he had seen cases where the newer lever had snapped off at this location. My personal thought is the hole was designed to allow the lever to break in two, versus the possibility of permanently damaging the trigger from functioning if it got jammed or bent.

Thanks for taking the effort to check your trigger for any type of markings. No idea what the "CM" on mine represents. Possibly something like "custom match", or maybe the assembler/tester initials, or even the Remington date coding system. Who knows?

That safety lever came with the M40 rifles used in Vietnam. They had the 6 digit SN. They were used on the M40a1's when they converted the M40 to the M40a1. When the USMC got a new batch of receivers, SN with the C prefix, then they had the round safety as you see on the M24. Hope this helps you out.

How much does will it cost to have Mike Lau do the trigger and how long will it take? I have a TBA M40a3 that I would like to put the trigger on to make it more complete. I also have a couple M24 builds coming up that I want to put that trigger on.

I'm afraid I couldn't tell you now. I think 10 years ago I paid $75 per trigger and had two done at the time. You would just have to call him to find out.

wrarz4.jpg

Leupold & Stevens ULTRA cartons for 700 base(SA) and 30mm ringset.

The Long Action base (LA) was never available commercially from Leupold since they did not manufacture them for the Army. The base on the M24 was manufactured by Brookfield Precision, who went out of business not too long after the contract was issued. Supposedly Badger Ordnance now makes the base for Remington, in their 0 CANT model.

5v8w87.jpg

Early L&S ULTRA 30mm rings, and current Leupold MARK 4 30mm rings.

Both are cast steel construction. Original testing/prototype M24 bid samples used 100% machined ringsets that exhibited rough finishing marks, and lacked rounded edges. Also, the nuts did not have a collar on them, which interferred with the rear metallic sight bases, marring them when tightened.

eta: Current MARK 4 ring cap screws are Torx T-15 sized, and the ULTRA used 3/32" allen head style.