• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Army M24 Build Thread

Re: Army M24 Build Thread

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lockedandloaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
qsntht.jpg

Build date codes stamped onto left bbl. This M24 is from the NRA Museum Collection, and the picture is from their website.

"DR" tells the month/year of assembly:
D = September
R = 1997

Remingtons in-house dating system uses the acronym:

B L A C K P O W D E R X
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

The Serial# itself only identifies the year the reciever was manufactured, not the year the rifle was assembled.

(picture credit NRA) </div></div>

Man you gotta help me decipher this. I can't make heads or tails out of this. DR means September 1997. How did you derive that? Good thing I'm not a cryptologist.

Remington uses an in-house date code system:

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">B-L-A-C-K-P-O-W-D-E-R-X</span> </span> are 12 letters, each stands for a month. "B" is January, "L" is February, etc. The first letter of their barrel code is the <span style="font-weight: bold">MONTH</span> it was assembled.

In this rifle's example, the first letter "D" indicated September

The second letter is the <span style="font-weight: bold">YEAR </span>of assembly. The table for these date codes is posted on the website of the Remington Collectors Society

In this example, the second letter "R" indicated the year 1997

anu0.jpg

Caliber is stamped on left side of bbl.

Upper bbl is a Rem. 700PSS chambered in .308 Winchester
Lower bbl is M24 chambered in 7.62 NATO

jqi2yx.jpg

External Mount Assembly (EMA)
Anti Reflection Device (ARD)
Day Optic Sight Sunshade

When the L&S ULTRA 10X M3a entered service on the M24SWS, a problem developed when laser range-finding devices were directed towards the scopes objective lens (by an enemy force). The ULTRA M3a has a laser-etched flat-glass reticle, instead of the conventional wire reticle. The flat glass proved to be an optically perfect reflecting surface for the enemies laser beam, giving away the snipers hide. It also would burn the snipers eyeball out if he was looking through it when the laser hit
eek.gif
There is some simple math involved with a 10X scope that says the power of that laser beam will be multiplied by 10X into your eye!

So the Army hired a company called Decilog Inc. to develop a laser filter that would reflect the laser beam downwards to the ground, and help eliminate glare/glint. The name was External Mount Assembly, or EMA. It is shown threaded onto an M3a ULTRA, but also fits MARK 4 scopes. The white marking on top is for aligning the filter so it's exactly angled downwards.

Then the real fun began! You now had a bright mirror-polished glass lens mounted on the front of your scope. It wreaked all sorts of havoc with sun reflections bouncing off. So the Army contracted another company called Tenebraex Corp. to make one of their killFLASH® ARD honeycomb filters (#40LTC-ARD)

Of course, the EMA laser filter changed the original point of impact by a maximum of 1 MOA, requiring the sniper to re-zero. And the ARD filter caused a loss of image brightness by about 15% reduction.

Most snipers just toss the EMA/ARD in the deployment case, screw on the 2 1/2" sunshade, and be done with it.

15iamnk.jpg

The individual soldier is authorized to remove the action from the stock. But the fit between the magazine box/floorplate/stock is very tight, and it takes some juggling of the parts to get everything lined up before it'll go back together correctly. It should be avoided when in the field.

When it does go together, run something under the barrel channel to make sure the action is centered and bbl isnt contacting the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I believe the I can answer the floorplate question.... </div></div>

Thanks for that info and those great photos!
Mind I pic your brain via PM?

The #514c model Sunnyhill is listed but backorderd-due to m24/remington needs my guess. I've seen the Badger Ord unit of which looks exact though I think it doesn't have the release "nub" at bottom like classic oberndorf models do, I think its a flush design push button but I may need to double check that.

Let me give the short answer to your PM question to all here on the thread so we can all be on the same sheet of music.

This is the PST-024

M24 Iron Sights.JPG

It is the standard M24 stock that we've all come to know and love. It's the only one that comes from HS-Precision that has the floor metal area cut deep enough for the Army's floor metal be it, Dakota, Sunny Hill or the Badger M5 DBM. Note you will not get the Army's butt plate/pad from HS-Precision, that is a Remington product. If you want one of these, you'll have to order it from HS-Precision just like Remington would.

This is the PST-026

M24A2.jpg

This is the stock being used on many M24A2 weapons. HS-Precision has told me and others that it does not and will not be sold over the counter with the floormetal area cut deep enough for the Army floormetal.

And this is the PST-013 Stock the one I prefer.
20200715_173019.jpg

Last edited:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pre64WINmarksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

GrovTec has these, look suspiciously like "Michaels-of-China" Milspec. </div></div>

Grovtec, Uncle Mikes, and Michaels of Oregon are all located in Oregon. You may be on to something!

EODsix photo showed the factory swivels with the Remington trademark stamped on them. The design looks exactly like Uncle Mike product. If any M24 has different versions on it, probably replaced with whatever was available.

m7td94.jpg

The early M24 contract specified Redfield Palma metallic sights on the rear. Palma's were very common sights, not special made for the M24. Just a proven product that Remington chose to fill the contract.

vyo2t0.png

AN/PVS-10 night optic is a GenIII 8.5X magnification, illuminated Mil-Dot reticle. Built-in rail mounts fit the scope base. Weighs 4.9 pounds.

ri4z6s.jpg

M24 Flash/Blast Suppressor was designed for use with the AN/PVS-10, but is sometimes used with the Leupold day optic. Installed, it changes the point of impact by up to 2 MOA.

Lockring has a groove that allows it to slide over the frt. sight base. Suppressor fits onto the barrel, its cutout slot aligned with the frt sight base. The lockring tightens against the rear of the frt base.

Is that AN/PVS-10 a day and night optic? I thought I've seen some photos and videos of soldiers using that optic during the daylight.

jpg.cgi

Cover of April 2004 American Rifleman clearly shows Uncle Mikes "Mil-Spec" Swivel #1402-3 attached to an M1907 sling:

mil-spec.jpg

However, pictures printed with the article display sling swivels like EODsix posted, the type that have rotating sling loops.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that AN/PVS-10 a day and night optic? I thought I've seen some photos and videos of soldiers using that optic during the daylight. </div></div>

You are correct, its both day and night capable. The reticle has adjustable brightness control, and the tube has adjustable gain (brightness) as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lockedandloaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
vyo2t0.png

AN/PVS-10 night optic is a GenIII 8.5X magnification, illuminated Mil-Dot reticle. Built-in rail mounts fit the scope base. Weighs 4.9 pounds.

ri4z6s.jpg

M24 Flash/Blast Suppressor was designed for use with the AN/PVS-10, but is sometimes used with the Leupold day optic. Installed, it changes the point of impact by up to 2 MOA.

</div></div>

Got a couple of questions about the PVS-10 and the flash suppressor.

1. Who made the PVS-10?
2. Lockedandloaded you mentioned that with the flash suppressor attached that it can change the POI up to 2 moa. How is that and is that when its used with the PVS-10? Im just trying to figure how it would change the POI?

Another question, is there anyway we can get a group buy going for that flash suppressor pictured above?

Hello; I just registered to answer in this topic. I already have some parts and in the process of ordering others. But I wanted to know if I have the right components to make the build.

Here's what I already own/will order.

-HS Precision PST011 long action with only adjustable lenght of pull from stockystocks.com
471$

-Harris Ultralight bipod 9-12 from amazon.
67.59$

-Remington 700 Dakota Arms custom long action floorplate from brownell.com
254.99 $

-Remington 700 long action receiver from gunbroker, says it's chambered for 30-06. But I heard there's an adaptor to change the caliber to 308W, I wanted to know if someone could tell me one.
315$

-Krieger Barrel; 308W, 5R 24 inch heavy barrel , with 1-11.25 twist.
285$

-Oversized Remington 700 recoil lug from brownell.com
32.99$

-Frontal sight from okweber.com, in 325D
10$

-Rear base from okweber.com
20$

-Remington 700 bedding pillar screws, 82 size. From brownell.com
35$

-PRI Remington 700 Long Action Scope Mount, from mountsplus.com (Should I choose 3.5 commercial cut out or 2.5 military cut out?)
98$

-Leupold Mark 4 30mm Rings, from opticsplanet.com
129.99$

-Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40mm (30mm) M3 TMR from amazon.com
1154.23 $

-M24 sling from taticalintervention.com (Come with swivels)
80$

Total cost=2954.02$

I am missing something? A part you would like to recommend to change? Also my question about an adaptor for the receiver I have and the scope mount size.

Please and thanks for your help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yustax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello; I just registered to answer in this topic. I already have some parts and in the process of ordering others. But I wanted to know if I have the right components to make the build.

Here's what I already own/will order.

-HS Precision PST011 long action with only adjustable lenght of pull from stockystocks.com
471$

67.59$

254.99 $

-Remington 700 long action receiver from gunbroker, says it's chambered for 30-06. But I heard there's an adaptor to change the caliber to 308W, I wanted to know if someone could tell me one.
315$

-Krieger Barrel; 308W, 5R 24 inch heavy barrel , with 1-10 twist.
285$

32.99$

10$

20$

35$

-PRI Remington 700 Long Action Scope Mount, from mountsplus.com (Should I choose 3.5 commercial cut out or 2.5 military cut out?)
98$

129.99$

1154.23 $

80$

Total cost=2954.02$

I am missing something? A part you would like to recommend to change? Also my question about an adaptor for the receiver I have and the scope mount size.

Please and thanks for your help.

</div></div>

Some of those parts are not true to the original M24 parts, but all of them will work and make for a decent looking clone. Depends on how "correct" you want this project to be? This thread will disclose just about every part needed to build a rifle exactly to US Army specifications.

Tell us how exact you want your gun to be, and we can go from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lockedandloaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
vyo2t0.png

ri4z6s.jpg

</div></div>

Got a couple of questions about the PVS-10 and the flash suppressor.

1. Who made the PVS-10?
2. Lockedandloaded you mentioned that with the flash suppressor attached that it can change the POI up to 2 moa. How is that and is that when its used with the PVS-10? Im just trying to figure how it would change the POI?

Another question, is there anyway we can get a group buy going for that flash suppressor pictured above? </div></div>

I do not have any personal experience with the AN/PVS-10 optic. The information I quoted comes from reliable sources. The change in POI is printed within the US Army Operators Manual for the M24SWS TM 9-1005-306-10 Vesion June 13, 2003. Educated guess is that you are adding additional weight to the end of a barrel, so its obviously gonna have some effect upon the zero. Barrel harmonics and all that stuff!

Think Litton or Northrup-Grumman manufactures the AN/PVS-10, but I am not positive.

No idea who manufactures the flash hider for the Army. Its one of those little details that is only going to be revealed by someone in the know. Maybe if an internet sleuth knew how to search for military contract awards, etc., it could be figured out? I can list the NSN for the part if anyone wants to give it a shot?

Some of those parts are not true to the original M24 parts, but all of them will work and make for a decent looking clone. Depends on how "correct" you want this project to be? This thread will disclose just about every part needed to build a rifle exactly to US Army specifications.

Tell us how exact you want your gun to be, and we can go from there. </div></div>

Can you tell me which parts arent original? I know for a fact that the scope mount isnt the original one, but it looks very alike to it, just a little bit larger. And well, the barrel isnt exactly a Mike Rock 5R barrel, but it does the work well...and ooops, I didnt knew that the twist was actually 11.25 but not 10. I corrected my post.

I actually care for the looks of the rifle and the accuraccy of it. I want to have accuraccy as good as the real meal. I think that I'll change for a 40x trigger later on; Im on a tight budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yustax</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lockedandloaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Tell us how exact you want your gun to be, and we can go from there. </div></div>

Can you tell me which parts arent original? I know for a fact that the scope mount isnt the original one, but it looks very alike to it, just a little bit larger. And well, the barrel isnt exactly a Mike Rock 5R barrel, but it does the work well.

I actually care for the looks of the rifle and the accuraccy of it. I want to have accuraccy as good as the real meal. I think that I change for a 40x trigger later on; Im on a tight budget. </div></div>

I wouldnt call spending $3,000 a "tight" budget!!
wink.gif

Here are the corrections to your list, printed in <span style="color: #FF0000">red</span>:

471$

67.59$

254.99 $

315$

<span style="color: #FF0000">Remington only makes the 700 receiver in 2 sizes, Long or Short. The .308Win cartridge usually comes in a Short Action (SA). But the Army wanted to have the option to change the M24 into a 300WinMag in the future, so this required using a Long Action (LA). The differences among calibers are based upon the diameter of the boltface. The 30-06 uses the same boltface diameter as a .308Win. I never heard of any "adapter" for caliber changes. Only machining of the bolt face can be done.</span>

-Krieger Barrel; 308W, 5R 24 inch heavy barrel , with 1-10 twist.
285$

<span style="color: #FF0000">Remington manufactures their own 5R barrels at the factory, the correct twist rate is 11.25" Right-Hand. Mike Rock only made a few of the barrels for the early prototype/testing rifles. Remington decided to start making their own barrels in-house after that.</span>

32.99$

<span style="color: #FF0000">The M24 uses the regular size recoil lug</span>

10$

20$

35$

<span style="color: #FF0000">The H-S Precision buttstock does not use seperate bedding pillars. The pillars are already machined into the aluminum bedding block itself. The action screws are stainless steel.</span>

98$

<span style="color: #FF0000">The M24 uses Leupold MARK 4 bases. The early versions were 1-Piece, but newer versions use 2-Piece</span>

129.99$

<span style="color: #FF0000">Be sure to buy steel rings, not the aluminum version. And get the Medium height size.</span>

1154.23 $

<span style="color: #FF0000">The correct scope is the MARK 4 M3 10X with the 3/4 Mil Dot reticle</span>

80$

Thank you for corrections. Now; the receiver I have can fire the 308 winchester caliber? I dont need to make some modifications?

I ordered the steel rings from amazon, medium height.

Now...the scope mount is where Im having problems. I cant seem to find the old Leupold mount. Im just finding the newer months and the two pieces one.

Shouldnt be better that I get the oversized recoil lug than the regular one?

I also need screws to attach the floorplate to the receiver. Any recommendations?

Last question; what's the difference between the Leupold Mark 4 M3 10X and the Leupold Mark 4 10x M3 TMR?

Is this the correct scope that Im looking for?

http://www.riflescopes.webyshops.com/Bra...tte-Black-51850

Sorry if these are too many questions. But I want to start building this project right away. Thank you for your help
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lockedandloaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pre64WINmarksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

GrovTec has these, look suspiciously like "Michaels-of-China" Milspec. </div></div>

Grovtec, Uncle Mikes, and Michaels of Oregon are all located in Oregon. You may be on to something!

EODsix photo showed the factory swivels with the Remington trademark stamped on them. The design looks exactly like Uncle Mike product. If any M24 has different versions on it, probably replaced with whatever was available. </div></div>

Actually the rings EODsix posted with "R" logo are exactly like the rings Grovtec also lists on their website alongside the milforce cast rings! I believe BlackHawk industries sold the Grovtec swivel model as well under their brand! I've seen pics of Tactical Intervention slings on M24s and they appeard to have either Micheals milspec or Grovtec milforce swivels, hard to see exactly which though.

That American rifleman cover posted further up-those look like Michaels milspec from the square ends. The Grovtec milforce has a slight trangular top before the narrow part. Hard to see the swivels but I'm pretty sure those are Michaels! A good M24 pic for swivels is from an old (1993?) pop mechanics I have somewhere burried. The ghillied-up sniper pictured has m24 with sling swivels that look just like the Grovtec standard GT model possibly. The rifle pictured was without bipod(I hate them myself though I'm not military) and the sling was removed but swivels retained.! Great rare pics of Navy SEAL snipers with M86 in that article as well, I'll have to see if I can find it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd like to add something about the clockwise/counterclockwise knobs. The counterclockwise knobs started post 2000. Earlier Mark 4s and Ultras were clockwise and had etched glass reticles. I don't think the glass reticles were retained after 2000. </div></div>

On reticals-I could be wrong but I have a 2007 or maybe 2006 mfg Mk4M3 civie. I called Leupold and spoke to a tech rep and gave them my serial and they told me that current models including mine they went back to etched glass ret even though they are labeled m3 rather than m3a. Mike Miller of Tac internvetion slings also said in an old article(2002 or 2003) that the etched glass reticals had started being put in all leupold mk4 models(including vari-X models).
I also back lit my ret through the ocular and the thing stayed competely black and it has round dots rather than footballs. I compared by back lighting an old bushnell elite and the metal of the wires shown clearly, the mildots are rectangular. Now If I'm wrong I'm not really worried about having wires in my scope because I won't be shooting magnum rounds. But I'm taking the leupold tech at his word on it. My only beef is I think the newer dials are not as click possitive as the old ultras. The scopes probably arn't build as well as the old ultras either internally but the glass is really decent, better than any of my other scopes!

I love how this thread is growing!
Keep it coming!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pre64WINmarksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lockedandloaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pre64WINmarksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

EODsix photo showed the factory swivels with the Remington trademark stamped on them. The design looks exactly like Uncle Mike product. If any M24 has different versions on it, probably replaced with whatever was available. </div></div>

Actually the rings EODsix posted with "R" logo are exactly like the rings Grovtec also lists on their website alongside the milforce cast rings! I believe BlackHawk industries sold the Grovtec swivel model as well under their brand! I've seen pics of Tactical Intervention slings on M24s and they appeard to have either Micheals milspec or Grovtec milforce swivels, hard to see exactly which though.

That American rifleman cover posted further up-those look like Michaels milspec from the square ends. The Grovtec milforce has a slight trangular top before the narrow part. Hard to see the swivels but I'm pretty sure those are Michaels! A good M24 pic for swivels is from an old (1993?) pop mechanics I have somewhere burried. The ghillied-up sniper pictured has m24 with sling swivels that look just like the Grovtec standard GT model possibly. The rifle pictured was without bipod(I hate them myself though I'm not military) and the sling was removed but swivels retained.! Great rare pics of Navy SEAL snipers with M86 in that article as well, I'll have to see if I can find it. </div></div>

I have the torn out pages from that issue of Pop Mech in my binder of M24 stuff. There's a guy holding a set of laser binoculars that look about the size of a small suitcase! Pure 80's technology!

Glad you're keeping on top of the M24 swivel details! Now let me throw another bone in the pot: KNS Precision Inc.
My Hi-Po match AR-15 has these mounted on it, and I havnt looked at it for awhile. When I took it out of the safe, they caught my eye since the brain has been as of late focusing on swivels. Here is the photo from their website. They even stamp their corporate logo on it just like the ones with the "Circle R". I'd say it's an exact matchup:

swivel.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yustax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for corrections. Now; the receiver I have can fire the 308 winchester caliber? I dont need to make some modifications?

<span style="color: #FF0000">Yes, it will be the same size as the Remington M24 receiver. You will need the BDL magazine, a solid steel follower, and the screw to attach the magazine to the bottom of the receiver.</span>

I ordered the steel rings from amazon, medium height.

Now...the scope mount is where Im having problems. I cant seem to find the old Leupold mount. Im just finding the newer months and the two pieces one.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Take a look at Badger Ordnance. They have a model thats exactly like the early M24. Get the one with 0 degrees CANT.</span>

Shouldnt be better that I get the oversized recoil lug than the regular one?

<span style="color: #FF0000">The aluminum bedding block in the H-S Precision negates any need for an oversize recoil leg. In fact, recoil lugs "free float" with the H-S stocks! Theres no point of contact for the lug, just a large open space.</span>

I also need screws to attach the floorplate to the receiver. Any recommendations?

<span style="color: #FF0000">Look at the Brownells catalogue. Standard Remington Stainless Steel action screws with the allen-head are what is used on the M24. However, Remington blackens the screws at both ends, but not the middle and threaded area.</span>

Last question; what's the difference between the Leupold Mark 4 M3 10X and the Leupold Mark 4 10x M3 TMR?

<span style="color: #FF0000">TMR stands for Tactical Milling Reticle. The M24 M3 scope uses the Mil Dot ranging reticle. You want Leupold Part#47638. On the SWFA website, its about $1600, keeping you within your budget.</span>

Is this the correct scope that Im looking for?

http://www.riflescopes.webyshops.com/Bra...tte-Black-51850

Sorry if these are too many questions. <span style="color: #FF0000">Please keep asking away, no problem at all Sir. And if anyone else has input, it would also be appreciated. This isn't "my" thread!</span> But I want to start building this project right away. Thank you for your help
smile.gif
</div></div>

Thank you for the help. I corrected my list...but I thought that the M24 SWS model used an internal magazine.

I found my mistake; however. I found some parts; I want to know if I can use these right here:

Remington 700 mag follower, steel (Listed as for the 30-06)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/341541/...ield-steel-cast

Remington 700 magnum long action magazine:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785354/...stainless-steel

Remington 700 mag spring long action (Listed for 30-06 as well)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/684265/...vc=S015ID341541

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yustax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for the help. I corrected my list...but I thought that the M24 SWS model used an internal magazine.

I found my mistake; however. I found some parts; I want to know if I can use these right here:

Remington 700 mag follower, steel (Listed as for the 30-06)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/341541/...ield-steel-cast

Remington 700 magnum long action magazine:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/785354/...stainless-steel

Remington 700 mag spring long action (Listed for 30-06 as well)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/684265/...vc=S015ID341541

</div></div>

The box magazine you need is specific to the M24. It is non-detachable, similiar to the Rem ADL blind magazine. The exclusive difference is a small metal tab bent out from the rear of the mag, and it aligns with a threaded hole in the bottom of the receiver for a flat-head screw to attach it. In other words, the magazine body does not come apart from the receiver when the gun is dissassembled.

The followers have changed over the years. But the one that looks most correct would be this one:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/435964/...vc=S015ID785354

Tab screw:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/325298/remington-magazine-box-tab-screw-remington-700-adl-blue

Magazine box:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/696208/...eld-magnum-blue

The action screws are not the same length, one is shorter than the other.

That spring should work. But that one looks too shiny! Again, most of the parts for the M24 are in stainless steel thats blackened. Hard to explain without looking at the pictures posted further back in this thread.

Alright; thanks again. I now have my replacement parts for the receiver. Once it's done, I'll order the stock, the recoil lug and the barrel.

And dont worry about the color, I will dura coat the parts in black color.

Also for those interested; I found the frontal sight that looks more akin to the M24, instead of the weber sights.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41641/Product/FRONT-SIGHT-BASES

I will order the .275 base.

12 bucks well spent.

And I will order these 5/32 allen head screws for the floorplate.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1784/Product/SOCKET-HEAD-TRIGGERGUARD-SCREWS

That sight base looks great. Im not sure of the correct size height. Would have to measure mine to see what it needs.

The recoil lug looks fine. But again, the factory Remington is what the M24 uses.

Edit to add: This is the 500th reply in the thread. Request Mods to make this a Sticky Topic!

Brownell doesnt have factory Remington 700 recoil lugs; there's many brands, but Remington isnt listed. I also went to the remington website, they dont have those either
frown.gif

Will you help me find one?

Pick any gunsmith and phone him, he will probably send you one from a re barrel for the price of postage.

Thank you; I'll do just that. Also; final question to order this part as well. Im very fearful that the floorplate doesnt fit in the stock.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6760/Product/REMINGTON-700-CUSTOM-STEEL-FLOORPLATES

This is the one I will order; there's two models: 510 and 520. Both fit long action says there, but I dont know which to pick.

I just dont have experience customizing rifles. And this is my first build as you can see.

Call Dakota Arms and ask them. They manufacture the bottom metal your looking at. If it were me I'd go with Pacific Tool & Gauge at half the price.

Dakota Arms (605) 347-4686

I have the torn out pages from that issue of Pop Mech in my binder of M24 stuff. There's a guy holding a set of laser binoculars that look about the size of a small suitcase! Pure 80's technology!

Glad you're keeping on top of the M24 swivel details! Now let me throw another bone in the pot: KNS Precision Inc.
My Hi-Po match AR-15 has these mounted on it, and I havnt looked at it for awhile. When I took it out of the safe, they caught my eye since the brain has been as of late focusing on swivels. Here is the photo from their website. They even stamp their corporate logo on it just like the ones with the "Circle R". I'd say it's an exact matchup:

swivel.jpg

</div></div>

Pretty much what I've seen from BlackHills too! I like the looks of the metal turn knob. The Michaels of Oregon plastic knob floats freely to prevent acidental release, but they also strip friggin easily!

That pop mech special forces issue(1993) has a cheesy painting on the front cover of a frogman with rebreather parachuting into water. The limited photos inside are great though I have to laugh at how badly the M24 is "xacto" cut and formatted on the weapons page; until checking 97'G&A <span style="font-style: italic">Combat Arms</span> and other sources I was cinvinced the muzzle of the M24 was rounded off severely like a broom-handle!

Yustax. I nned tell you a few things. I'm on the road right now and haven't read everything that's been posted in the past 24 hrs but there a few glaring problems.

First your Dakota floor metal won't fit the PST-011 stock. It will need modification. The M24 uses the PST-024 stock and has to be ordered special from HS-Precision. 6 month wait.

Also I something about the magazine. The M24 uses the long action ADL magazine with the screw not a BDL magazine.

And one piece scope mount. The originals can't be had but Badger Ordnance makes and it has an NSN. It is an authentic replacement item.

I will read more when I have time but don't spend money on those items listed above if you haven't already.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yustax. I nned tell you a few things. I'm on the road right now and haven't read everything that's been posted in the past 24 hrs but there a few glaring problems.

First your Dakota floor metal won't fit the PST-011 stock. It will need modification. The M24 uses the PST-024 stock and has to be ordered special from HS-Precision. 6 month wait.

Also I something about the magazine. The M24 uses the long action ADL magazine with the screw not a BDL magazine.

And one piece scope mount. The originals can't be had but Badger Ordnance makes and it has an NSN. It is an authentic replacement item.

I will read more when I have time but don't spend money on those items listed above if you haven't already. </div></div>

I second that! Made that mistake already!

HS PST024stock and SunnyHill-514C bttm metal as EODsix has graciously advised me!

Sheesh! the wind's gonna blow my house down tonite!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EODsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yustax. I nned tell you a few things. I'm on the road right now and haven't read everything that's been posted in the past 24 hrs but there a few glaring problems.

I will read more when I have time but don't spend money on those items listed above if you haven't already. </div></div>

Thanks. I changed the list for the ADL magazine. However; what plate metal you could recommend for the PST-011 stock? I dont want to modify the stock.

It needs to be for long action of course.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pre64WINmarksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lockedandloaded</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

swivel.jpg

</div></div>

Pretty much what I've seen from BlackHills too! I like the looks of the metal turn knob. The Michaels of Oregon plastic knob floats freely to prevent acidental release, but they also strip friggin easily!</div></div>

I'm going to post this photo, hoping it wont confuse the swivel issue too much. Some of us are into getting the details right:

21d3pjo.jpg

L-R are the following

1) Uncle Mikes QD stainless steel 1 1/4"
2) KNS Precision Inc.
3) Uncle Mikes Mil-Spec
4) GrovTec Inc.

Look closely at the locking nut's outter end and notice how #1 has notches cut into it, and the profile is contoured "straight"? Compare it with #2 which has a smooth outter end without notches, and its contour is more "barrel" shaped. #2 is an exact match to the swivels EODsix posted (the ones with the letter "R" in a circle).

Next, compare #3 to #4. These are similiar to what is pictured on the cover of that American Rifleman magazine. The differences between them is obvious in my photo. But are either of these original equipment from Remington?

M24 rifles are stored inside an air-droppable container made by Hardigg Military Cases

jiz5uc.jpg

The scope, metallic sights, EMA/ARD, and flash suppressor are stored inside this case. If anybody knows the manufacturer of this simple blow-molded case, please post.

ke6teb.jpg

54gevt.jpg

Extra parts, cleaning kit, and tools are placed into the Deployment Case. Its made by Pelican, forget what the model # is?

2ujp6kl.jpg

The only floor metal that will fit the PST-011 without modification is the standard factory Remington BDL which is aluminum.

The HS Precision detachable magazine floor metal is the only aftermarket I have found to fit a BDL profile(PST-011/013) stock without modification, it is made of stainless steel, unfortunately their .308 is availbale in short action only, works great on my LTR.

On the sling swivel issue;

I have an M24 SWS circa 2006, direct from Remington as a complete system, sling swivels are standard Uncle Mikes save that they are grey parked, even the extra one in the D kit is standard Uncle Mikes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: red6actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only floor metal that will fit the PST-011 without modification is the standard factory Remington BDL which is aluminum.

The HS Precision detachable magazine floor metal is the only aftermarket I have found to fit a BDL profile(PST-011/013) stock without modification, it is made of stainless steel, unfortunately their .308 is availbale in short action only, works great on my LTR.

</div></div>

Thanks, then Im going to wait until stockystocks have the PST-024 available again. No way Im going to wait 6 months for the stock.