• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Assist with caliber for Nucleus B/A

j741

Hide Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 10, 2017
    Greater Seattle Area
    OK, there are too many tempting choices for this build and I can't decide so looking for input.

I have a Tikka CTR in 6.5 that is what got me hooked on rifles again and precision shooting. Been having a good bit of fun shooting it and working on repeatability and reliability (me, not the rifle). I finally got in to a club with a 200 yard range. Also on a wait list for another club with 600 yard ranges. With all the news on the JH and Nucleus I couldn't resist getting a really nice new rifle.

Rifle will be 99% used for range shooting. I have a 7 mag in hand and a 300NM incoming. I may try competitions down the road if I get my basics down. But in the back of my mind I keep thinking a rifle should also be a good hunting round, if only for up to white tail deer size.

Here is the list of calibers and my initial thoughts on them:
    300 WSM - Covered by 7mag and 300NM
    308 Winchester - Would prefer 6.5CM since I already have one
    300 Blackout - not really a long range round
    6.5 SAUM - In the running, need more research on this one, maybe more recoil than I'd like for range shooting
    6.5 PRC - Interesting, could be more of a dual use round with more power than 6.5CM
    6.5 Creedmoor - Have a CTR in this caliber and love the accuracy and mild recoil, but can't bring myself to have two 6.5CMs
    6.5x47 Lapua - not enough info to decide on this. seems comparable to 6.5CM for my uses
    6mm Creedmoor - in the running, like idea of slightly lighter recoil than 6.5CM
    6x47 Lapua - interesting alternative to 6 CM but likely too costly for ammo and/or reloading
    6 XC - interesting alternative to 6 CM but likely too costly for ammo and/or reloading
    6mm Bench Rest Norma - tempting, but not really a hunting possible round and seems more of a mid-distance caliber

Ruled out mostly due to similarity with above
    260 Remington
    243 Winchester
    223 Remington
    22-250 Remington
    22 Creedmoor

The thing I like about the PVA offering and me getting the BarLoc is that I can grab another barrel (and bolt if necessary) to swap to another caliber for a reasonable cost. So if I end up with 2 or 3 calibers from the list I can have them all in one rifle.

I really miss the function where it showed what state the person posting is in. I say that because your region could make a difference on caliber selection. Based on the fact that you are shooting at a 200 yard only range and hunting white-tails I'm guessing East coast or South.

You have a 6.5 creed, and a 7mm rem mag, you could kill pretty much anything in North America with those two and your Norma will kill any remaining dinosaurs so why are you stressing hunting if this is going to be 99% a range gun? I think you will find as you add rifles and calibers to your collection that you will take more pleasure in guns that are for a specific purpose and specialized vs a "do all." You obviously have the funds so get a nice "driver" and a nice "putter", etc.

Sounds like you do reload, if you don't reload or don't want to reload much I would recommend the 6 Creed.
    Advantages: Accurate, cheap match factory ammo from Hornady, 6mm advantage of less recoil, and great in wind, at distance or close. You actually could hunt whitetail all day long with it too, and you have factory hunting ammo. It's pretty much a 243 ballitsticly and how many 1000's of whitetails have been killed with those? Disadvantage: short barrel life, no Lapua brass in that caliber (you can neck down 6.5 stuff but may have to neck turn, donuts, etc.)

If you don't mind reloading get the 6br or a variant like the dasher. Advantages: The BR uses 10 grains less powder than a 6 creed so recoil is really minimal. Super long barrel life (probably best of any 6mm). Quality Lapua brass. You could hunt with it, shoot an 80ish gr 6mm hunting bullet at 3100 fps, that will be bang-flop on deer sized stuff. It is also supposedly one of the easiest to tune calibers out there as far as accuracy. Feeding can be an issue but in the nucleus with AI mags and a mag kit from PVA et al it should be fine. I have everything for my br in my AI except a mag kit so I will be single loading for my load development for a few weeks. My dies get here tomorrow!

The 7 SAUM is a cool round but again, ballistics of a 7 rem mag exactly. Also, you're shooting at 600 yds with your new club, that's a chip shot for a 7 or 6.5 mag/saum. Do the 6mm BR or 6 creed if you don't reload and take pleasure in tiny groups and no recoil.

Ah, you are right, I should have mentioned area. I'm actually out west in Washington state. I occasionally have hunting trips in Texas with some old friends though and thats where whitetail come up.

It's definitely an adjustment to get a rifle just for target shooting. I grew up only ever using rifles for hunting and adjusting to having one almost dedicated to target shooting is something I'm still coming around on.

I don't currently load for the 6.5 as the CTR likes the Hornady American Gunner and when I can get 200 rds for $140 it doesn't seem worth time for reloading. But with the 300NM coming in, I will definitely be reloading for it. may as well do the 7 mag too since I'll have reloading equipment. The 7 is a Fierce Fury so it won't hurt to work up a load that can keep it in the sub 1/2 MOA range.

My inclination was to go with the 6 BR since the whole purchase point was a enjoyable, accurate, range rifle. Just had heard/read some info on it not doing well 600+ and wasn't sure if that'd impact me in the 600 yard range locally.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply and information. Really appreciate it.

I'll definitely remember this quote - "your Norma will kill any remaining dinosaurs "

"your Norma will kill any remaining dinosaurs "

Given that you have the Norma for dinosaurs why not get a .300WM for whitetail, elk, and grizzly. If you want a short action then a .300WSM.

All of those options will be perfectly adequate of taking a Texas whitetail using a hunting bullet so I wouldnt sweat that detail anymore.
    I used to buy rifles to fill a particular niche, this is a deer gun, this is a coyote gun, pig gun etc but I have since realized I only ever used one rifle for all of it so I have taken to making the rifles suited to what they are actually going to be used for, shooting bunches!

If the tikka isnt doing it for you in 6.5 Im not sure what else any of these would do to get your rocks off. I will say I shoot my 223 more than anything else combined and I have a new patriot valley remage coming in for it myself. Thats also the only chambering appreciably different from what you already have.

Given that you have the Norma for dinosaurs why not get a .300WM for whitetail, elk, and grizzly. If you want a short action then a .300WSM.
    I figure the 7 mag performance on game is similar enough to 300WSM. .

If the tikka isnt doing it for you in 6.5 Im not sure what else any of these would do to get your rocks off. I will say I shoot my 223 more than anything else combined and I have a new patriot valley remage coming in for it myself. Thats also the only chambering appreciably different from what you already have.

The problem is almost the opposite. I'm thrilled with the Tikka and shooting it is what led to my other rifle purchases. I enjoyed it and I've gotten back in to rifles after many years focusing on pistols for target practice. I first looked at putting the CTR in chassis but ruled that out as it ended up with cost similar to Tac A1, so I was considering just getting the Tac A1. Then the JH/Nucleus came out. Going with it opens up some more calibers so I figured I should look at different calibers.

Edit To Add:
    At this point I'm down to either 6BR for low recoil easy range shooting or adding a 2nd 6.5CM in a chassis. Either way I'll likely be getting an MPA chassis for the Nucleus B/A. Will keep an eye on PX while passing the time waiting for the Nucleus.

Last edited:
    Reactions: spife7980
    6.5 creed or 6.5x47 (they're basically the same now with lapua creedmoor brass) or a 6mm creedmoor or my personal choice a dasher. If it's for PRS go with a 6 creed and load it light like 3000-3100 with a 26" barrel or a dasher will hit about 2950ish.

I figure the 7 mag performance on game is similar enough to 300WSM. .

The problem is almost the opposite. I'm thrilled with the Tikka and shooting it is what led to my other rifle purchases. I enjoyed it and I've gotten back in to rifles after many years focusing on pistols for target practice. I first looked at putting the CTR in chassis but ruled that out as it ended up with cost similar to Tac A1, so I was considering just getting the Tac A1. Then the JH/Nucleus came out. Going with it opens up some more calibers so I figured I should look at different calibers.

Edit To Add:
    At this point I'm down to either 6BR for low recoil easy range shooting or adding a 2nd 6.5CM in a chassis. Either way I'll likely be getting an MPA chassis for the Nucleus B/A. Will keep an eye on PX while passing the time waiting for the Nucleus.

If it turns out that after due consideration you don't need another rifle then you could donate the Nucleus to a hide member who does.

Reactions: TheOE800
    I'm also in WA. I'm doing a PRC for the bigger 6.5's coming out. McGowen has the .188 freebore reamer from Manson which will be perfect for my application.
    There's no need to be rational with your caliber choice, this won't be your last rifle :)

I'm also in WA. I'm doing a PRC for the bigger 6.5's coming out. McGowen has the .188 freebore reamer from Manson which will be perfect for my application.
    There's no need to be rational with your caliber choice, this won't be your last rifle :)

My smith is in WA and we are doing PRCs as well because of the new bullets coming out.

If it turns out that after due consideration you don't need another rifle then you could donate the Nucleus to a hide member who does.
    It may not be obvious yet, but my due consideration never results in me not needing something. But I'll keep the suggestion in mind. :)

My smith is in WA and we are doing PRCs as well because of the new bullets coming out.
    My deposit did spec the 6.5PRC. I've just been second guessing it. I think I'll leave it at that and I can always get a 6BR or 6CM or 6.5CM barrel spun up later.

My vote is Norma Dasher,little more oomph than the BR , people have differing opinions about it. I personally love the case design ,no fireforming Dasher Body W/BR Neck. My 24” barrel shoots 110 SMKs at 2900 and 105s at 2945 , brass is at 6 firings and pockets are still nice and tight.
    Next Favorite is 6.5 Saum for obvious reasons , I can’t see a reason for a reloader to do a prc

IMO the beauty of the Nucleus and PVA team-up is 2 fold...price point on actions & barrels, and the modularity possible with the addition of the Barlok. Granted, there is little real world experience with the Barlok, but I think it will be very repeatable and durable.
    I'm building my Nucleus to be a switch barrel with a smattering of 6's, and 6.5 Creed, and 308. Currently getting rid of some other short actions in order to make room since I really won't need any other once it is done.
    My 2 cents would be to pick a caliber and run, and if you get the itch for another down the road, just add to your barrel inventory.

IMO the beauty of the Nucleus and PVA team-up is 2 fold...price point on actions & barrels, and the modularity possible with the addition of the Barlok.
    My 2 cents would be to pick a caliber and run, and if you get the itch for another down the road, just add to your barrel inventory.

agree on both points. I'm going to stick with 6.5PRC for initial configuration. I'm sure right now my repeatable accuracy is more limited by my abilities than the rifle/cartridge. I can always change down the road.

appreciate everyone's input.