• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes ATACR 1-8 pics on my Scar 17, reviews to follow

Fenix Mike

Minuteman
Aug 19, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Thought id start a new thread for this one. Im likely going to take it out tomorrow for some 800m stuff and dial it in. Will do my best to get "through the lens" pictures at distance, but doesnt look like my phone scope is going to fit on the rifle, so we will see what happens!

F60HRYu.jpg

t05yfz3.jpg

kl6b4PR.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished shooting. The federal 150 grain was not having a good day, but at least uploaded my fast fire video at 700m (750 yards) showing how fast this scope is to get back on target. Glass is beautiful, tracking is flawless, and I love it! The misses were the Ammo (3 inch group at 100 yards to follow) but you get the ideas of the capability.
Will have the full review up tonight.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
That's hot buddy, HOT! Thanks for the drop on this! When I get recouped from a cash mishap, I'll be on one of these things right quick!

You almost making me regret ordering two NX8's and not one of each.

Alright, as promised, my full review of the Nightforce ATACR 1-8, from unboxing to the range.

First off (and I didnt take pictures unfortunately), the package includes the NF 1-8 scope, PTL knob (if you choose to install it), NF three way tool with basically everything you need to adjust anything on the scope, install the PTL etc, lens cloth with baggie, 2 (two) trim rings in case you want to run the turrets uncapped, they protect the threads against damage, front and rear Tenebraux flip up covers that rotate (same as the other ATACR scopes), instructions, NF stickers and such, etc. The scope was well packaged and showed up with no damage. While I usually leave the quality control NF stickers on the scope (person that signed it), you will have to remove this one to install rings or a mount, and it came off without any fuss. The battery is already installed for the illumination and I mounted it up on my Scar 17 SBR with an ADM Delta 34mm mount with 0 MOA elevation built in.

Fast forwarding to the range for zero since I dont see any point in a paragraph about playing with it inside my house. I brought about 100 rounds of Federal 150 gr FMJ that comes in the Red boxes as my stash of ZQI and Magtech/CBC had run out, so this was some of the first testing I had done with it, and the Scar does NOT like it, but I got it dirt cheap and it isnt steel core so it can be used indoors in the summer. Zeroing the Scar was a cinch as first round hit about 1 inch low on the dot, but I quickly found out this ammo was not going to group nearly as well as the M80 ball stuff I had used in the past. Dialing up about 1/2 mil ended up being the center of the "group", and attached is the second group I did to verify zero. It wasn't pretty, but wasn't nearly as bad as the Lab Radar results showing over 200 fps spread with an SD of 50 (cold bore round kicked, would have been worse otherwise). I took the lows and highs out to get a better "average" to plug into my shooting software and ended up with about 2530 FPS on a 75 degree day today. Loosen the two top screws with the supplied Nightforce tool, set the zero, and its ready to go! Attached are a couple pictures putting my phone up to the scope, and I admit, they are absolutely terrible, but the phone scope didnt fit behind it, so thats the best I can offer. Flawless picture at 1x and 8x, no issues with edges, parallax, any blurriness whatsoever, and had no problem spotting my 30 cal shots at 100 yards on paper. With 1 inch circles on paper, the center dot just of the scope just about covered the dot on the paper, but I didnt have any issues aiming at all. Illumination flipped on for fun showed no issues seeing the dot in VERY bright daylight with no cloud cover. Due to the rather disappointing consistently of this ammo, I didnt waste any more at 100 yards, and pushed out to my first target, which is 700 meters (about 750 yards).

This is where this sweet 3 MOA ammo drove me nuts, as with Magtech and ZQI, it. was 1.5 MOA ammo with 2 inch groups at worst, and rarely missed at 800m, where as today, I didnt bother pushing beyond 700 knowing it would just get worse. On the upside, the glass was crystal clear at both targets, and I had a change to test out the turrets, reticle, etc. Shooter called for 8 mils of elevation and 1 mil for windage with a 5-8 mph crosswind. I always hold for windage, but the 8 mil dial got me perfect on height, however 1 mil was a bit far for crosswind, which is common at my spot due to the targets being in a valley and varying wind between shooting spot and target. Holding half mil got me a nice "ding", and about 80% for hits today, which I contribute again to the ammo, where as with previous loads, 95-100% were never an issue. Just to verify the ammo, the guy shooting with me today (heard in the spotting videos often) had a 16 inch scar with a Leupold MK6 3-18 and had the same issues with consistency, and that gun has made hits at 1000m with good ammo. Dialing to zero and holding for elevation achieved similar results, however I prefer to dial, so other than playing around, I went back to the 8 mil dial and continued to shoot. So far, zero issues with the scope, glass, and I cant tell any issues with clarity, parallax etc. It is very similar to the Razor 1-6, other than having another 2x and a different reticle. I will say, much like the Leupold MK6 1-6, there is an area around the center dot before it gets to the crosshairs that can make small target holds a bit tricky for wind, as the target at 700m was partially covered by the reticle, and id personally just prefer a mil crosshair setup, but I ended up dialing .5 mils for wind just to keep the dot on the target instead and it was no longer an issue. If an option similar to the NX8 reticle comes out with standard crosshairs and mil hashes, I will likely switch as I dont use the Christmas tree setup, and prefer a less "busy" reticle. That being said, so far everyone ive shown it to loves the reticle and prefers that setup.

The last group I did (shown in the above video) was a fast fire video meant to show how quickly you can get back on target. Even at 8x zoom with a 308 rifle, staying on target was super easy, and fast follow up shots went right where they should have. I will take it out again in a week or two and try some better ammo, which id imagine will get me some better results for accuracy, however I am COMPLETELY satisfied with the scope, and will be leaving it on the Scar.

Disclaimer - Usually the Phone Skope stuff looks MUCH better, but the iPhone X with the dual cameras has been making it a pain in the ass with switching back and forth, or freaking out with too much zoom, so relying on the spotter zoom, it is picking up a ton of mirage. Apparently there is a better software program to use that doesnt let the phone auto adjust, so hopefully I will get a chance to try it next time.

3Y3D9OU.jpg

sfSzJWb.jpg

qzaUmrT.jpg

rs69Dm4.jpg

4FdBqJv.jpg

ITsmYFq.jpg

KSD8n1G.jpg

Thanks for posting this. I just ordered the 1-8 ATACR for my SCAR 17. I currently have a 4-16 ATACR on the SCAR and like it a lot but I also want something I can use for 3 gun matches with true 1x. I was hoping Vortex would come out with a 1-8 version of their Razor HD scope but I think the 1-8 ATACR will be even better.

Reactions: longshot2000
Nice review. Did you run any drills at shorter distances (<50 yards)? How is the illumination in daylight? Looks like the scope is good to go at long distances, which is what it was meant for.

I didn’t realize ADM made a 34 mm Delta mount. I can’t find it on their website. Good to know though.

Nice review. Did you run any drills at shorter distances (<50 yards)? How is the illumination in daylight? Looks like the scope is good to go at long distances, which is what it was meant for.

I didn’t realize ADM made a 34 mm Delta mount. I can’t find it on their website. Good to know though.
Unfortunately my long range spot is only long range, there isn't any room for close range stuff... my other spot is only 120 yards and under though, so I will try to get out there and do some closer range stuff with multiple targets. Red dot is just as bright as my T1s are, if not brighter at max.

AMD Delta - https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/365/
They are under the AR10/Scar mount category.

Reactions: CSTactical
Scope look amazing and so does your whole setup. Thanks for the review. Just a thought, with a standard deviation of 49 fps your not gonna do real well at 800 yards. I would either reload or get some Asym ammo or something with a deviation of 10 or less. Great review.

Scope look amazing and so does your whole setup. Thanks for the review. Just a thought, with a standard deviation of 49 fps your not gonna do real well at 800 yards. I would either reload or get some Asym ammo or something with a deviation of 10 or less. Great review.
its a SHTF gun so I only run it on over the counter 150 gr stuff, and keep it dialed as such. I bought some Magtech M80 to try, and if that doesnt work, ZQI. Ive tried loading for it in the past and it really didnt pick up a ton. I have my AXMC for accuracy, this is just fun because its super light, effortless, and always runs.

Great review - I pick up mine at MHSA tomorrow. Should be able to take it and the SCAR to the range this weekend - I'm still breaking in my Rugged Surge - really like it. I'm a bit concerned about how busy the reticle is - but I hold for wind too so getting the center dot circle off the target and using the sub tends should help. I'm shooting XM80 ball 149 gr. along with FGMM 168.