• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ATACR 4-16 for “SPR” or……

Islas82

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
North Las Vegas
So currently thinking about getting a new scope for my 16” LWRC DI I tried the LPVO route but was not satisfied with the performance down range of the 1-10s and personally I would like parallax. I know the 2-10 MK5 is coming soon but reticle options are lacking and I really want more that 10x.

EO currently has a NF 4-16 in their demo pile and it seems to fit the bill as far as features and quality. What else is out there on the 2k range before I pull the trigger?

Weight is not an issue.
would prefer as compact as possible.
34mm tube since I already have a badger mount sitting there.
2k and under (couple 100 over is fine)
15-18x
Tree reticle a must since I don’t plan on dialing much.

Thanks in advance

Weight is not an issue.
The benefits of the NXS 2.5-10 is decent amount of weight and the Leupy 3-18 is a bit less weight, and smaller foot print. If none of those things matter to you, the x42 ATACR is the way forward. The only reason to get anything else, is eg a 50mm objective, etc.

The benefits of the NXS 2.5-10 is decent amount of weight and the Leupy 3-18 is a bit less weight, and smaller foot print. If none of those things matter to you, the x42 ATACR is the way forward. The only reason to get anything else, is eg a 50mm objective, etc.
I have owned a MK5 18x before and was happy with it but it was a H59. If they had a PR2 available I would be all over it.

Reactions: 5RWill
I now own the 4-20 and 7-35 atacr and happy with them

When I owned the 4-16 I had women throwing themselves at me. Leupold guys would fetch my brass like good little peasants. I entered a “God Mode” when behind that optic

In all seriousness the 4-16 Mil XT with low profile locking turret is the best gas gun optic out there. I ran mine on a AIAT and only upgraded when I swapped reticles and wanted a touch more magnification for my 308

I now own the 4-20 and 7-35 atacr and happy with them

When I owned the 4-16 I had women throwing themselves at me. Leupold guys would fetch my brass like good little peasants. I entered a “God Mode” when behind that optic

In all seriousness the 4-16 Mil XT with low profile locking turret is the best gas gun optic out there. I ran mine on a AIAT and only upgraded when I swapped reticles and wanted a touch more magnification for my 308
Picking up brass is a pain 🤔

Weight is not an issue.
15-18x
I’m going to ignore compact for the most part…

• Mark 5HD out for tube size.
  • TT315M out for tube size and cost.
  • TT315P out for cost.
  • ATACR 4-16x42 F1 meets your criteria, but I’m not a fan. It is fairly compact.
  • Steiner T6Xi meets your criteria, but Steiner QC 😷. If you get a good one though..
  • Razor HD LHT out for tube size.
  • Burris XTR III meets this criteria, less fancy Steiner from above.
  • Bushnell DMR3 meets the criteria but has more max magnification.
  • Zeiss S3 4-25x meets the criteria but has more max magnification.
  • ZCO 4-20x out for cost and tube size, exceeds magnification threshold. Compact scope.
  • March 4.5-28x out for cost and exceeds magnification threshold. Very compact and light scope for the mag range.
  • March 3-24x out for cost and then size. Fairly compact.
You’ve painted yourself into a hard corner. I pick a March, ZCO, or TT for this role.

I’m going to ignore compact for the most part…

• Mark 5HD out for tube size.
  • TT315M out for tube size and cost.
  • TT315P out for cost.
  • ATACR 4-16x42 F1 meets your criteria, but I’m not a fan. It is fairly compact.
  • Steiner T6Xi meets your criteria, but Steiner QC 😷. If you get a good one though..
  • Razor HD LHT out for tube size.
  • Burris XTR III meets this criteria, less fancy Steiner from above.
  • Bushnell DMR3 meets the criteria but has more max magnification.
  • Zeiss S3 4-25x meets the criteria but has more max magnification.
  • ZCO 4-20x out for cost and tube size, exceeds magnification threshold. Compact scope.
  • March 4.5-28x out for cost and exceeds magnification threshold. Very compact and light scope for the mag range.
  • March 3-24x out for cost and then size. Fairly compact.
You’ve painted yourself into a hard corner. I pick a March, ZCO, or TT for this role.
Have owned ZCO420 and TT 5-25 no experience with March. A ZCO420 would be perfect really but I would feel like quite the cunt throwing that on top of a mid priced AR. why aren’t you a fan of the ATACR?

Have owned ZCO420 and TT 5-25 no experience with March. A ZCO420 would be perfect really but I would feel like quite the cunt throwing that on top of a mid priced AR. why aren’t you a fan of the ATACR?
The action my ZCO420 normally sits on is off getting a new barrel spun up. That ZCO is currently on a R700 AAC-SD barreled action that was in the back of the safe. Small sample size, but I don’t feel any cuntier than normal. YMMV.

Value per dollar. Weird for a guy who owns TT but that’s life. Also, they still can’t make the turrets line up from the factory, see a thread in this very sub forum. 😂

For your price range and requirements the scope that first comes to mind is the Kahles K318i 3.5-18x50, you can find used ones for low $2k (at least you used to, seems lots of things are more these days). It has a somewhat narrow FOV but very compact with great turrets and glass that’s only bested by the ZCO 4-20 IMO.

Reactions: Islas82
For your price range and requirements the scope that first comes to mind is the Kahles K318i 3.5-18x50, you can find used ones for low $2k (at least you used to, seems lots of things are more these days). It has a somewhat narrow FOV but very compact with great turrets and glass that’s only bested by the ZCO 4-20 IMO.
What your opinion on the NF 4-16? Would love to hear it.

What your opinion on the NF 4-16? Would love to hear it.
Funny you should ask, I’m needing to find a 4-16x42 to do a review with the new March 1.5-15x42, I realize the NF only covers the upper range but will offer a good baseline Years ago I was going to grab the 4-16 but then Kahles came out with the K318i and I decided to go that route instead. But I need a good 42mm scope that offers 15x to compare, granted, comparing a 4x erector design to a 10x is a bit unfair but I want to review against something a lot of shooters have experienced and figure the NF ATACR fits that role well.

Weight is not an issue.
15-18x
Unless I missing something, how about a Razor Gen II 3-18x50? (ducking). I’d rather have the Atacr, but hey, it’s an option.

4x16 with offset red dot is the way. I have a 16” SPR setup with one and it is pure awesomeness IMO

Magpul CTR. I’ve got overly long arms, so I have the bigger rubber pad on it. With a little practice, I run the SPR just as hard and fast up close as I do a sbr style/ red dot only setup. But add any distance and it’s not even close, SPR just dominates. It’s the one gun I would have if I could truly only have one

So currently thinking about getting a new scope for my 16” LWRC DI I tried the LPVO route but was not satisfied with the performance down range of the 1-10s and personally I would like parallax. I know the 2-10 MK5 is coming soon but reticle options are lacking and I really want more that 10x.

EO currently has a NF 4-16 in their demo pile and it seems to fit the bill as far as features and quality. What else is out there on the 2k range before I pull the trigger?

Weight is not an issue.
15-18x

Thanks in advance

Steiner t6 318

20230108_152442.jpg

When the range bunnies see you with that scope, they'll be all like

full-metal-jacket-me-so-horny.gif

and then you'll be a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus just like me

Magpul CTR. I’ve got overly long arms, so I have the bigger rubber pad on it. With a little practice, I run the SPR just as hard and fast up close as I do a sbr style/ red dot only setup. But add any distance and it’s not even close, SPR just dominates. It’s the one gun I would have if I could truly only have one
View attachment 8065461

When the range bunnies see you with that scope, they'll be all like

View attachment 8065473

and then you'll be a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus just like me
What cheek pad?

I have an NX8 2.5-20 Mil XT and overall I really like it on my 6 ARC. That said, for really fast shooting and transitions such as what you will see in a competition I think the ATACR would be better and I find myself now wanting the ATACR.

Found some pics from a review I did almost 5 years ago, I should have got the NF 4-16x42 for this lineup.

From left to right. Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44, Vortex PST G2 3-15x44, S&B US 3-20x50, Tract Toric 4-20x50, Leupold 3.6-18x44
Leupold_Mark5_comparison_001.jpg

Top - Kahles K318i 3.5-18x50, bottom - Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44
Leupold_Mark5_vs_Kahles_K318i_003.jpg

• Love
Reactions: HenryTheAce
The 4-16 ATACR is my favorite scope of all time and I can't say enough good things. Seems like others feel the same way so I'll leave you with what I don't like about it.

The zero stop reset is a huge pain and requires a tiny tiny wrench you wouldn't ever use for anything else.
I wish FOV was a little wider at the lowest end... it's a little tight for a 5.56 SPR.
I like zero hold but prefer the schmidt style lock.
The illum buttonology is stupid.

That's it. It's perfect in all other ways.

The 4-16 ATACR is my favorite scope of all time and I can't say enough good things. Seems like others feel the same way so I'll leave you with what I don't like about it.

The zero stop reset is a huge pain and requires a tiny tiny wrench you wouldn't ever use for anything else.
I wish FOV was a little wider at the lowest end... it's a little tight for a 5.56 SPR.
I like zero hold but prefer the schmidt style lock.
The illum buttonology is stupid.

That's it. It's perfect in all other ways.
Does the ATACR use the same zero stop system as the NX8? I thought there was a tool less system? If it is the same as the NX8 that is a real shame ) :

The 4-16X42 ATACR specifically has a different zero stop set up because it sort of has two stops. There's the ZeroHold feature where it will click and stop at zero but when you depress the button you can go below zero up to 2 mils when the zero stop is set per the manual. If you don't set the zero stop up then you'll always stop at zero but you can have some amount other than 2 mils below zero.

Reactions: eugevita
Value per dollar. Weird for a guy who owns TT but that’s life. Also, they still can’t make the turrets line up from the factory, see a thread in this very sub forum. 😂

I read through that thread and went home to play with mine. I really don't think he has a Nightforce issue. I was able to duplicate his "issue" and "fix" it by setting the turret cap. Not sure what your problem was, but his was definitely user error.

My caps shown below are adjusted to my eyes then I adjusted them to replicate the other issue. It was very consistent as to where the hash lined up and locked at zero just as it should have in both locations. The pictures are of a arbitrary setting just to show the difference in setting the set screws.

20230203_112603.jpg
20230203_112332.jpg

Funny you should ask, I’m needing to find a 4-16x42 to do a review with the new March 1.5-15x42, I realize the NF only covers the upper range but will offer a good baseline Years ago I was going to grab the 4-16 but then Kahles came out with the K318i and I decided to go that route instead. But I need a good 42mm scope that offers 15x to compare, granted, comparing a 4x erector design to a 10x is a bit unfair but I want to review against something a lot of shooters have experienced and figure the NF ATACR fits that role well.
As someone who just pre-ordered a March dual reticle 1.5-15 and own an atacr 4-16x42 tremor3 I am curious how it will stack up. I can volunteer a loaner since inevitably I’ll have to pick which optic goes on which gun, and I have a few months before the March comes in.

4-16 is a great overall package. It won't blow you away in any single metric, but it is a really well-rounded scope that is easy to use. Contrast and resolution are good, turrets are good, eye box is good, mil-xt or mil-c are good. Illumination isn't daylight bright and might be too bright in really dark situations. Low light performance isn't optimized due to the 42mm objective, but it's still quite good up to 8x and usable to 10x. It's a scope that doesn't seem very impressive at first glance, but it grows on you due to its versatility and ease of use.

Weight is not an issue.
15-18x

Thanks in advance

Gonna ignore the req for 34mm for whatever reason you may have cuz you have 2k range listed for price.

I went through this same decision process recently and prefer the atacr line/have more than one......

I had the opportunity to put hands on the NF and Leupold 5HD 3.6-18

The 5HD is clearer, brighter and much better edge to edge than the NF....I know....blasphemy but it is....

I personally prefer H59 reticle which is offered in both scopes....imho its a goldilocks reticle.....enough info without being too much for a dummy like me.....

Form factor/physical dimensions are very similar but the 5HD has better top end magnification.

Tons of great reviews on the 5HD.....and it can he had for 2k....or less if you look/have a well established habit....errr buying history with a certain "dealer".....sorry.....poor choice of words....

Only downside was I had to buy a Badger Comm1 mount for the 35mm tube and 45 degree offset mount for red dot....

Total cost for C1 and scope was still hundreds less than NF and I'm happier with the 5HD than the NF

YMMV

Gonna ignore the req for 34mm for whatever reason you may have cuz you have 2k range listed for price.

I went through this same decision process recently and prefer the atacr line/have more than one......

I had the opportunity to put hands on the NF and Leupold 5HD 3.6-18

The 5HD is clearer, brighter and much better edge to edge than the NF....I know....blasphemy but it is....

I personally prefer H59 reticle which is offered in both scopes....imho its a goldilocks reticle.....enough info without being too much for a dummy like me.....

Form factor/physical dimensions are very similar but the 5HD has better top end magnification.

Tons of great reviews on the 5HD.....and it can he had for 2k....or less if you look/have a well established habit....errr buying history with a certain "dealer".....sorry.....poor choice of words....

Only downside was I had to buy a Badger Comm1 mount for the 35mm tube and 45 degree offset mount for red dot....

Total cost for C1 and scope was still hundreds less than NF and I'm happier with the 5HD than the NF

YMMV
I have owned a 5HD H59 before and it’s a great scope. Only reason why 34mm was required is because I already have a 34mm badger, that being said sure I can sell or trade the badger for a 35mm. I don’t think I want H59 though and if leupold would just put their PR2 in this scope it would honestly be perfect. I am giving the NF a try and see how it goes the 5HD is not going’s anywhere.

Reactions: 264pr
if leupold would just put their PR2 in this scope it would honestly be perfect.
not sure about “perfect” but I agree, if the 3.6-18 had an illuminated PR2 reticle they would sell a lot more. God only knows why Leupold is so stubborn in bringing that reticle to the 3.6-18???

not sure about “perfect” but I agree, if the 3.6-18 had an illuminated PR2 reticle they would sell a lot more. God only knows why Leupold is so stubborn in bringing that reticle to the 3.6-18???
Perfect for my application. Yea it’s strange that that haven’t yet, reticle seems to be well liked.

Reactions: Glassaholic