• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ATACR 4-16x50 or 5-25F1

PhilM

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Brize Norton, UK
My main long range rifle at the moment is an AI AT with a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. Mounted on this is a ~10yr old Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50.

I love this set up, whilst it’s only 15x mag I use it with great effect at 1000yds and a little beyond.

I am thinking however, it has done me so well for so long that perhaps I’m missing out on some new technology, such as ED glass, Zerostop and bigger tubes.

As such I am considering the following two ATACRs to replace it;

4-16x50 SFP - so I see this as the new ATACR version of what I already have, the mag is basically the same; and it’s SFP, which considering the max (calibrated) mag is 16x, which is sensible I don’t find this limiting, and would prefer this over the 4-16x42 F1 version.
It offers all the new features I am looking for, and is very similar (but better?) than my trusty NXS.

What I am worried about however is am I missing out by not moving to a 5-25 F1?
I think I’d be mainly using 15-20x as much beyond that on the 1000yd ranges and you just hit mirage anyway.
Given the calibrated power being 25, is definitely opt for the F1 version over the cheaper SFP one (where as it isn’t a problem on the 4-16 as it’s calibrated at a much more sensible power for my use).

I don’t have much of a problem with my 3.5-15x50 NXS so am wondering if the new features on the 4-16x50 coupled with hopefully higher resolution glass anyway means that will meet my needs perfectly without needing to add magnification.

But....should I go 5-25? It probably costs a grand more to go from 4-16x50 to 5-25x56 F1.

Any thoughts appreciated!

You own an AT. Yes go with the 5-25 F1.

You gain ffp, more bulletproofness, magnificent optics and given that you own an AT, my guess is the extra $1k isn’t the end of the world.

It is an amazing scope. You won’t be disappointed.

You own an AT. Yes go with the 5-25 F1.

You gain ffp, more bulletproofness, magnificent optics and given that you own an AT, my guess is the extra $1k isn’t the end of the world.

It is an amazing scope. You won’t be disappointed.

Agree with the above. Definitely worth it in this case, especially for the extra magnification for a 1000 yd rifle.

^^^ Agree. I have 2 ATACR 5-25’s on AI’s and love them. I shoot 650 - 1100 yards typically and run the at 18-20x.

Thanks guys, I thought that may be the case - buy once, cry once.

Found a great deal on a new 5-25x56 F1 so bit the bullet...hopefully here Wednesday.