• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ATACR help?

mdslammer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hello guys,
Merry Christmas/Happy holidays.

So here's my situation. I just had my .338 LM rebarrelled. I have a Nightforce ATACR 5x25x56 (which I had sent in to NF 3.20 to be checked out
while my rifle was away. It checked out fine). After remounting the scope I headed out today to check my zero at 100 yds.
Turned out I was shooting 6 inches higher than center. And, the scope was at the end of adjustment for going any lower.
I have a Murphy picatinny rail with a 45 MOA cant.
I called the NF and they're off this week. So I thought I'd check in here to see if anyone could help educate me as to what to do.

Note: The rifle was built in 2013 with the exact same components. It was very accurate and I was getting out to 2200 yds with it.
The only change was an identical brand new barrel that was put on.
Bartlein 1.935" / 30" finished / Fat Bastard Brake / 5R rifling

I was expecting some adjustment of course with the new barrel. But I'm quite sure how to zero the scope at 100 (as it's has always been)
when my internal adjustment is maxed out.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you guys.

Mark

If you have the cap off can you visually verify the wing of the zero stop is not stopping against the zero stop lug when you adjust all the way down?
They usually center out the scopes when they check them at he factory.
One more thing is count up total adjustment from where it stops. Should be 120moa minimum. If there is 120 moa of travel then maybe the problem is something else.
Jimmy,

That's a good question.
I'm not sure what the "wing" is. And unaware of the zero stop lug.

All I know is to remove the turret cap to loosen the 4 screws to set the 0 stop.
I assumed that if those 4 screws were loosen and I turned them to the lowest adjustment, that was the end of it.

Which is where I'm at now. However, you bring to light a good question about 120MOA adjustment.

I lowered my turret as much as possible. The max elevation yielded 103.50 MOA. I will verify again tomorrow. I was tired and may have git this wrong

But, if this is the case, and if I'm only getting 103.50 MOA total, then the scopes the problem?

Mark

Loosen the screws for the zero stop and turn the upper clutch/wing back like one or two revs, tighten the screws, and try turning counterclockwise to see if you get more downward movement.

ZeroStop2.jpg

Reactions: Makinchips208
trigger monkey stated it better than I did.
but if you are only getting 102 moa then remove the cap, loosen the 4 small zero stop screws. Turn the zero stop clutch counter clockwise at least one turn, maybe two. Snug the clutch back up.
That should get you full travel.

A scope tube is round - so if you have any windage dialed it takes out elevation travel.

A new barrel may be made perfectly by the muzzle and chambering guy and shoot to a very different point due to curvature inherent in a gun-drilled bore.

trigger monkey stated it better than I did.
but if you are only getting 102 moa then remove the cap, loosen the 4 small zero stop screws. Turn the zero stop clutch counter clockwise at least one turn, maybe two. Snug the clutch back up.
That should get you full travel.
Yeah! I did what you recommend Jimmy Jr.
I have now have 120 MOA from bottom to top. Thank you for the help.
Will head out tomorrow and try again to 0 my scope.
Regards.

Mark