• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ATF Games

tnichols

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
Morley IA
This may be old news to some of you, but we are just starting to see it here. IF you are 18,19, or 20 years old, the ATF is "delaying" your purchase of long gun or shotgun for 10 days +/-.

Example: Neighbor kid that is 19 purchased the SA 2020 Waypoint in 6mm Creed. Arrives at the FFL yesterday. He goes in, fills out the paperwork, and it comes back "delayed". This individual is clean as a whistle and does not have a common name. Can expect the transfer to happen no earlier than December 15. He had purchased a 17 HMR a couple months ago with no issues. Gun store owner says this is relatively new and is happening to all that fit into that age group. It's a non-written "cooling off" period according to the minimal information the ATF has given him.

So, here is a good young man getting involved in our sport and being messed with if you ask me. He's disappointed as you can imagine, but has accepted it. I'll post when it actually goes through.

Games... :mad:

Last edited:
So a 10 day waiting period prevents people from killing other people, why didn't they institute this from the beginning to prevent all gun related incidents .

• Haha
Reactions: armorpl8chikn
It's all in that latest "gun control" bill. The FBI (the ones actually conducting the NICS check) are looking for disqualifying charges in Juvy records, and those aren't as easy to access as they are when you're an adult. The bill increased the wait time to 10 days instead of 3.

Just think of it as they're saving lives..... <eyeroll>

It's a clown show.

Branden

But a 3 day delay with no update is a proceed......or it was that way till recently.

Edit- Found where they changed it for under 21, plebs.

Last edited:
They have a difficult time managing class 3 items in a timely manner. How can they take on all this additional work load?

NICS is not handled by state police.
In VA they are conducted by the SP.

There is an option given to the States to use a State POC or the FBI.

As I stated in my post above, in VA they are done at the State level. Which is why I asked the question.

In VA they are conducted by the SP.

There is an option given to the States to use a State POC or the FBI.

As I stated in my post above, in VA they are done at the State level. Which is why I asked the question.

The VA state background check is just that. It is not NICS. NICS is specifically NICS.

The state police conducting the check includes info in the NICS system. It's who conducts the check is all.

The federal NICS system doesn't always include state level info.

eta: "always"

Be careful thinking that the state police of your state are any better.
There is a purge currently be preformed on perfectly good FFLs with all sorts of new games.
One would be charging 3k plus if they are a stocking dealer.
Extortion and petty rule enforcement are the standard in some places...

R

Who the NICS is run by varies from state to state, as does the age requirements and waiting periods. FL is 3 day wait on all handguns unless you have a concealed license and 3 day on long guns unless you have concelead license or hunting licence with Hunter safety class. Age is 21 unless you are active military or LEO

"NICS Services

NICS provides full service to the FFLs in 31 states, five U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia. The NICS provides partial service to six states. The remaining 13 states perform their own checks through the NICS."

Again, NICS is THE NAME OF THE FBI'S CHECK SYSTEM.

NICS

About NICS

NICS is FBI's national system that checks records on persons who may be disqualified from receiving firearms.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
It is still perfectly legal to buy a gun as a gift. If you know an 18-20 year old in need, ‘tis the season…

There are 10 changes to the 4473. Officially has to be used by April. I imagine they'll go off of birthdays until all the ffl''s start using it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tucker65
It is still perfectly legal to buy a gun as a gift. If you know an 18-20 year old in need, ‘tis the season…
Agreed. However it was shipped in his name to the FFL. His brother could have gone in with him to buy it and "gift" to him. However, to me, and the FFL, that looks a lot like a straw purchase, or at least kind of fishy. Had he known about this new "rule", I'm sure he would have done it a bit differently.

Reactions: hollowoutadime
But a 3 day delay with no update is a proceed......or it was that way till recently.
Thats what I thought as well.

i got a delay once because NICS was backed up. Cleared through later that day, but the guy told me "if I dont hear anything by close of business 3 days from now, come in Friday and get it"...

Agreed. However it was shipped in his name to the FFL. His brother could have gone in with him to buy it and "gift" to him. However, to me, and the FFL, that looks a lot like a straw purchase, or at least kind of fishy. Had he known about this new "rule", I'm sure he would have done it a bit differently.
Well, 10 days to plan never hurt anyone…

Reactions: tnichols