• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ATF Pistol Brace Comments

GTOJOSH

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2018
The ATF is taking comments for the next 6 days. I may get a strongly worded letter back (or strongly kicked door and shot dog) for my comments, but if you'd like, comments are open.

If you need a place to start, here is what i wrote. It probably has some misspelling or improper use of commas, but my screen is small, my keyboard sucks, I wrote it in one setting, and my eyes aren't what they used to be:

Although there are many firearm components that are often reviewed and come under scrutiny that I do not own, I am displeased that at the incessant continual changes in rulings as a whim of opinion; often fueled by uninformed and biased information stated as of late. Beyond the many " shall not be infringed" comments that are sure to be given, I'd like to point to Article I, Section 9, Clause 3:

"No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

Both federal and state governments are prohibited from enacting ex post facto laws, and the Court applies the same analysis whether the law in question is a federal or a state enactment."
Many rulings have been meted out, (often unconstitutionally in one form or another as laws are not to be set by nameless corporations, special interests, unelected officials, etc.) Yet somehow an Agency has usurped the ability to dictate what legally purchased personal property is allowed to be utilized for its intended purpose, and what is not with the changing of the seasons.
And in a sudden rush of decision against a grip angle, sling, "furniture" component, etc can make law abiding citizens, many of whom utilize their own time, finances, and resources in training to become defenders of our nation as future soldiers, police officers, and security personnel outside your own offices- into criminals. Many unacquainted and unable to complete the paperwork and legalities of an ever changing mark drawn with the blowing of the wind. This, thereby creates additional tumults of opinions, frustration, and distrust of the decisions given amongst the populace.
We, the people need a check and balance seen in the decisions up and coming. We desire, and demand the liberty and freedom granted as safeguards against overreaching faction in Government, and appreciate the open sessions of comment taking such as this to voice our concerns.
To many, all nfa rulings are taxation without representation. In a civil society there is always a balancing act of liberty and security, and as such many of the nfa rulings have come to pass. Some rulings should be overturned as their effects do not meet the reasoning behind their intent (suppressors for example. More of a medical device and safety device than an item grouped in with rate of fire and explosive devices.) However, I concede that some review of industry equipment warrants deep considerations especially as technology continues to innovate and advance.
However, a ruling against an accesory- a piece of hardware such as a pistol brace does not alter the firing rate, velocity, or ballistics of a weapon it is placed on. Making a brace an nfa item would further illegitimise the nfa list itself, and negatively effect countless millions of otherwise upright and law following citizens of our nation. If choosing to do so, it would show the general callous and disregard for our laws, articles, and open comments given, and an autonomous, despotic, and factious serving state of governance. May we all bridge the gap and show give and take in these rulings. Allowing reason over passions and special interest groups.
God bless America. We need it.

May be longer than I thought.
Good luck gents.
TLDR- ATF stop sticking your nose where it don't belong.

I don't think the comments will sway this decision one way or the other. Obama needs a victory on gun control. The brace will be it.

Tactical Boots should be looked at by the ATF for they better brace a weapon for aiming and firing as appose to ballet shoes. Without properly braced feet that firearm is useless.

Reactions: MadDuner
Tactical Boots should be looked at by the ATF for they better brace a weapon for aiming and firing as appose to ballet shoes. Without properly braced feet that firearm is useless.
Tactical socks are going to be next on the list.

Everybody knows that they are in important factor when deciding if something is related to somebody maybe or possibly might be doing something with a black assault rifle/pistol bang bang pew pew thingy.

Reactions: candyx
I don't think the comments will sway this decision one way or the other. Obama needs a victory on gun control. The brace will be it.

Long, emotional, impassioned comments pleading your case will have as much effect as the Indians telling the government they have been on this land forever and it's the only life they know. Fuck the government.

Write a short question back to ATF Agent A**hole, and ask if he still lives at 1234 A**hole St. and then ask him how many guns he owns and if he has a dog.

Reactions: jmp1 and MCSO1357
Sadly these will get struck down for the masses. They will end up like crossbows did in many states, except they will be fed controlled. If you are not disabled to a certain extent, you won’t be allowed to use one. What that disability extent is and whether or not it has to be permanent is the unknown.

The ATF is taking comments for the next 6 days. I may get a strongly worded letter back (or strongly kicked door and shot dog) for my comments, but if you'd like, comments are open.

If you need a place to start, here is what i wrote. It probably has some misspelling or improper use of commas, but my screen is small, my keyboard sucks, I wrote it in one setting, and my eyes aren't what they used to be:

Although there are many firearm components that are often reviewed and come under scrutiny that I do not own, I am displeased that at the incessant continual changes in rulings as a whim of opinion; often fueled by uninformed and biased information stated as of late. Beyond the many " shall not be infringed" comments that are sure to be given, I'd like to point to Article I, Section 9, Clause 3:

"No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

Both federal and state governments are prohibited from enacting ex post facto laws, and the Court applies the same analysis whether the law in question is a federal or a state enactment."
Many rulings have been meted out, (often unconstitutionally in one form or another as laws are not to be set by nameless corporations, special interests, unelected officials, etc.) Yet somehow an Agency has usurped the ability to dictate what legally purchased personal property is allowed to be utilized for its intended purpose, and what is not with the changing of the seasons.
And in a sudden rush of decision against a grip angle, sling, "furniture" component, etc can make law abiding citizens, many of whom utilize their own time, finances, and resources in training to become defenders of our nation as future soldiers, police officers, and security personnel outside your own offices- into criminals. Many unacquainted and unable to complete the paperwork and legalities of an ever changing mark drawn with the blowing of the wind. This, thereby creates additional tumults of opinions, frustration, and distrust of the decisions given amongst the populace.
We, the people need a check and balance seen in the decisions up and coming. We desire, and demand the liberty and freedom granted as safeguards against overreaching faction in Government, and appreciate the open sessions of comment taking such as this to voice our concerns.
To many, all nfa rulings are taxation without representation. In a civil society there is always a balancing act of liberty and security, and as such many of the nfa rulings have come to pass. Some rulings should be overturned as their effects do not meet the reasoning behind their intent (suppressors for example. More of a medical device and safety device than an item grouped in with rate of fire and explosive devices.) However, I concede that some review of industry equipment warrants deep considerations especially as technology continues to innovate and advance.
However, a ruling against an accesory- a piece of hardware such as a pistol brace does not alter the firing rate, velocity, or ballistics of a weapon it is placed on. Making a brace an nfa item would further illegitimise the nfa list itself, and negatively effect countless millions of otherwise upright and law following citizens of our nation. If choosing to do so, it would show the general callous and disregard for our laws, articles, and open comments given, and an autonomous, despotic, and factious serving state of governance. May we all bridge the gap and show give and take in these rulings. Allowing reason over passions and special interest groups.
God bless America. We need it.

May be longer than I thought.
Good luck gents.
TLDR- ATF stop sticking your nose where it don't belong.
OP you have any other updates on this? Friend sent this to me with Jan 19 as a potential day in the courts as the 120 stay to review comments expires.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
OP you have any other updates on this? Friend sent this to me with Jan 19 as a potential day in the courts as the 120 stay to review comments expires.

Surprised that more people aren't paying attention, it's like they hope the ATF will just give up or something.

When you look at the history of what has happened since 2014, the ONLY thing that has swayed the ATF has been folks spreading whats going on, and putting pressue on them through our reps and comments:

2012- Hey ATF, we want to develope this brace, and want your input to make sure we're in compliance on the front end.

By 2013- that brace is not only approved, it goes on factory guns from Sig & others.

2014- a brace is ok. In fact, you can even shoulder it. You "brace it" with your shoulder.

2015- (where the fun begins) oh, we changed our minds. Criminals, criminals everywhere. Comply now, or suffer.

2015-2017- Sig, Sb tactical, and I'm sure others put immense pressure on the ATF to ask WTF, and we the people chime in. Comments, letters, contacting Representatives, etc.

2017- ATF does and about face, re-upholds the 2014 ruling thay braces dont reclassify the firearm, and stop making us feel sad.

2020- a few years of crickets from the unelected arbiters of fun hating and Q releases the honeybadger. One of the ATF folks at a copy machine sees a picture of it on instagleam gov access into your phone shouldering one, and by August 2020, all honeybadger owners are sbr owners without the permission to have one. Q, gun owners everywhere chime in so strong the DOJ has to step in and put all parties into a corner in time out while everything can get sorted into some kind of plan with a small semblance of sanity while the left counts recently departed voters and unboxes overnight deliveries.

December 2020- ATF believing the win in elections gives them a bigger wang to whip gives the public 17 days to give their input on the matter as a folded arm tissy fit compliance gesture due to DOJ.
Not only do gun owners comment enough to melt down a server like a free 1-900#, they find more than just a few comments are recieved. Just under 61K in fact. In perhaps the last sane act of Congress, 90 reps formally oppose the ruling the ATF tries to ram through due to pressure from their constituents hot off the heels of the reeling election.
A few weeks (?) Later, the DOJ reverses the proposal, puts everything on hold "Pending further review" and the 3 letter folks go back to their scheming.

2021- Atf opens comments for 90 days. Ending in September.
Comments poured in, many were thrown out, and I'm sure still are. Comments have ended, it's all them spinning their webs of deciet and smoke and mirrors now.

***You are here***
This is now. We hold our breath, await the next battle, and prep. When official word drops that comment has been "reviewed" and moving from "pending" to "final ruling" status, be prepped to contact your State Reps. Local reps, etc.
At a local level - talk to our Sheriff's.
A chief of police, etc answers to the mayor, or commissioner, etc. The Sherriff?- He or She answers to the Constitution. To the people.
We need to stay awake, stay buzzing and working proactively, not reactively.
If any of you get word on Actionable intel of something that can help- post up Bro!
Also, above is my what I see in putting the pieces together in sequence. If I'm off on dates, or how the AFT learned about Q's Honeybadger, Correct me.

Team up. Maybe the whole brace thing is a dry run for something bigger for them in the works. Stay alert.
Sorry about the long reply.

people are going to do what ever it is they wanna do regardless of what the aft what's or thinks the legality of it you got to do what your comfortable with unless you bought it to protect the aft it's your home / property . not that a crook cares either way .

What about the last two years has you believing they'll live up to their end of the deal?

And by they I mean the alphabeti as a whole.

Or don't care what the ATF says......?

Those kinds of people act all tough on the Internet but in real life they'll comply or try to work around it with a tax stamp/long flash hider for a 16" barrel etc. If they really walked the walk then they'd have those 3d printed happy switches on their Glocks and homemade suppressors but they don't.

Those kinds of people act all tough on the Internet but in real life they'll comply or try to work around it with a tax stamp/long flash hider for a 16" barrel etc. If they really walked the walk then they'd have those 3d printed happy switches on their Glocks and homemade suppressors but they don't.
Or bought something that was legal and are just tired of all the flip flopping, thus , not giving a shit.

What about the last two years has you believing they'll live up to their end of the deal?

And by they I mean the alphabeti as a whole.
Absolutely zero.
I think they'll conjure up every possible way to push all they can through.
If we all would mobilize rhe way the left can orchestrate for a cause, we could abolish the stupid nfa rulings altogether- but we won't.
How many people were all in on, "the nfl has lost me as a viewer", "never again". Then, a month later "dude, did you see that pass last night?!"
It's all about control. We've forgotten that We the people are the Sovereign. We have ultimate control (or should), and instead take it all in doses. A little compromise here, a little there. Not standing on fringe issues where we have no skin in the game.
Well, the time is fast approaching where the line in the sand will be drawn, and the time of the sunshine patriot will end. Where is the next Madison? The next Washington? Where the hell is John Paul Jones?
Side note: If you've never read it, Washingtons farewell address is as close to a perfect pocket manual of whom to throw yourself in behind as ever written. We need to find these, our generations next heart of a nation.
If it's you, step up. I have little to no faith in the alphabet agency crews keeping their word without us making it not worth fighting about. But, we need leverage, insiders, and officials in Congress to lean in and turn up the heat if it's gonna go anywhere.

Reactions: BCP
Yep, braces by August. They're going to redefine "firearm" by June. Friggin foolish.

Reactions: Longshot231
Yep, braces by August. They're going to redefine "firearm" by June. Friggin foolish.

Exactly; just like a lot of other countries which define any airgun that generates over 12 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle a firearm. Archery equipment won't be safe either.

I’ve never seen a bigger waste of time. Especially since they use “science” and “professionals” to change the law, though they aren’t a legislative body.

I’ve never seen a bigger waste of time. Especially since they use “science” and “professionals” to change the law, though they aren’t a legislative body.
Ah, but they're "redefining" in order to "keep up with manufacturing advancements"; not writing new law. Silly tricksters.

Agree totally on the waste of time and taxpayer dollars.

Wait, what? So braces gonna be illegal now? After they said they were fine, now they walking it back? After the government leaves terrorist real weapons of war as they like to say? Nope. I don’t think anyone is gonna care what they think at this point. Just saying.

*EDIT* That shit is old. Is there something new that had come out that I’m unaware of?

Reactions: 1911hombre
Wait, what? So braces gonna be illegal now? After they said they were fine, now they walking it back? After the government leaves terrorist real weapons of war as they like to say? Nope. I don’t think anyone is gonna care what they think at this point. Just saying.
https://www.atf.gov/file/154866/download

Here's the worksheet. Try and pass 🤣🤣

When did that shit come out? I thought it had been all quiet after the comment period? Just nope. I’m sure most Americans will agree, go round up all the actual weapons and gear of war left behind in AStan and then they might discuss it. This is about the dumbest shit I’ve ever seen. Has there ever even been someone that used a braced in any crime?

When did that shit come out? I thought it had been all quiet after the comment period? Just nope. I’m sure most Americans will agree, go round up all the actual weapons and gear of war left behind in AStan and then they might discuss it. This is about the dumbest shit I’ve ever seen. Has there ever even been someone that used a braced in any crime?
What does crime have to do with it?

This is about infringement and control...

The end of the announcement for both, states that its about the safety of the people. 🤣🤣 It was posted on a different site, I'll see if I can find the announcement, it had the effective date

Is there any new actual (verifiable) information on this, or is this just more fear mongering by YouTubers to generate clicks?

Reactions: 1911hombre
June of 21? So I take it as a No, then Yes on the questions above, Thanks.

ironically, all polls show no support for gun control or new rules/laws. I think we make the stink about this one

ATF is not elected, does not govern and should not be banning squat. Time to reach out to your reps, keep doing it, spread the word, maybe convoy to ATF heads homes and do a Toronto?

I personally think the AfT needs to fuck right off with all this infringement shit.

And someone needs to better police our military equipment, so it doesn't end up in the hands of bad people in other countries.

Just a thought but we should have inserted the race card on this, Assy Testicle Fuckers only started targeting braces hard after they started showing up in every rap video on YouTube. Insert some woke shit like “this racist law will discriminate against people of color, no safe space, micro aggression, blah blah blah”, get it trending, and hopefully watch the woke leftist mob come for the three letter agency. Bonus points if we can find an agent throwing the n word around. Because if Lil’ Tay Tay can’t safely smoke another gang banger then white supremacy.

Reactions: RUTGERS95

*EDIT* That shit is old. Is there something new that had come out that I’m unaware of?
The only thing new is they need a win, badly. Pivot back to gun control to keep the Dems on the plantation. Mid term turn out is usually lower than presidential elections. They created hyper woke dipshits who are pissed Brandon isn't giving them a communist eutopia. Time to trot the old stand by...GUN CONTROL.

They didn't have to read it. Post #9 above bro. Just skip to dec. 2020-on.
They don't have to read any of it, and I'm sure opened it only as a gesture to show they dotted their I's and crossed their t's. But what they got was a kick straight to the ball sack when they did.
You figure your vote don't count? On a National level I'm afraid you're right. But locally, in your town, county, etc governments?

If you don't - thats funny.
No, really, that is funny.

Accept defeat if you want, or bust their knee caps while you're down. That is where we are at.

So you're trying to say local elections aren't bought and paid for ?

Riddle me this;
How is it that a local voted in position (mayor, judge, whatever) pays, say about 70(something)k a year, but the campaign sees millions spent.
I'll use Michigan as an example (because it came up in google first dammit!).
Michigan$71,685/year.56/mile. Tied to federal rate.No per diem is paid. Legislators receive an expense allowance of $10,800/year for session and interim. Set by the compensation commission. Vouchered.
That is michigan state rep pay.
Now here's what they spend to make all that money.
michigan.jpg
Now do you honestly think that there isn't a profit made.....and yet the evidence shows the exact opposite.
EVERY politician is a crook, every politician lies, every politician steals and scams.
If it's that (86 million $) important to them do you honestly believe the votes are counted straight up ?
Do you think none of that 86mill has gone to the vote counters or software coders to *fudge* an election ?
He or she who pays more wins, period.

Well, damn. You mean to tell me the political system is crooked? Politicians aren't saints? Next you'll say Santa aint real, and the pet cow we had as a kid didn't really get traded off to the place that sells meat for them to have a pet in exchange for hamburger patties?
You're missing the point.
Amidst all the corruption, the smoke and mirrors, the predetermined back office deals, hell, even the illuminati if you're so inclined, there is still something YOU can get off your ass and do. Things like flooding 3 letter servers with lots of opposition to show we won't bend easily when they open it for discussion. Standing up when laws overstep bounds, and not taking it quietly.
Places you can make a difference. And things you can make a difference in. Like growing your voice with others, using that larger voice to get support, petitions, and leverage. Your point shows, the middle management d-bags are in there, and would hate to have what they have bought into get taken away. You wont ever touch the higher ups, but you can change up your school board. You can help pick your Sheriff that may allow your County as a 2a sanctuary county if needed. You can't change 99.8% of what is going on, but the point is that if you actually did something about the .2% you can, and I do the same, and your broke brother in law, and your exgirlfriend, and the crazy lady that lives up the street- it gets too hot for the reps in the middle, and they refocus elsewhere. My State Rep has come to my place of business before to get out ahead of hot button issues heating up. I've knocked doors to give out flyers for a Sheriffs campaign cause the other guy was anti 2A and a transplant from liberalville. My wife is on town Council keeping subdivisions from being allowed to keep our community small. I've gotten kicked out of school district meetings for exposing the Curriculum as Socialist propaganda garbage, and making some of the pages viewable and shared across fakebook, et al getting a mass of parents outraged and calling for new curriculum.
My point is the system IS corrupt. As such we have to counter it WHERE we can. Get out. Run for school board, city council, county commissioner if you're inclined. Better yet, read up the Federalist papers, our founding documents, and your State Constitution, and Our Nations Constitution. Then, get all your family and everyone you know to do the same. If needed, Actually go make the overstepping runners look the part of the fool. Will you get thrown out? Sure, but it can be fun after the third time, so long as you have the info right.
Sitting back, taking it in stride, and giving in is what has gotten us in this mess.
The small wins, take them. Build off them, and become part of them. The time for sitting idly by while our rights get slowly chipped away one small insignificant piece at a time is done.

Yes, we should all be writing/calling our reps and making a noise about this -that's a given. But I want to have a productive and realistic conversation about remaining a law-abiding citizen without forfeiting your pistol braced-guns if and when the laws or interpretation thereof change regarding pistol braced-firearms (which, if we're honest, is extremely likely).

I'm sure the internet revolutionaries will advocate for simply ignoring unjust laws/taxation/registration because 2A, but I'm not interested in becoming a felon over this any more than I'm willing to do it over suppressors. It is absolutely ridiculous that suppressors are subject to NFA regs, but if someone built a can in their garage without complying to NFA regs, we'd call them an fool. Same thing here.

So, assuming this goes through and your braced guns are now NFA items. . .

1. Can you just remove all furniture (brace and attachments) from the buffer tube and be back in compliance?
-If so, you could just remove your brace to get in immediate compliance and then file to SBR your lower.

2. Assuming the answer to question 1 is no, can you file to SBR your lower after they declare your braced-weapon subject to NFA and be in compliance, or would filing at this point get you an automatic "you shouldn't have this because we changed the law and it's not already registered as an SBR, so we'll have to confiscate it."
-If so, it seems the only way to remain in compliance to a law that is about to change and not have to forfeit your gun after the change is to SBR it before the change.

Discuss.

The government is illegitimate and corrupt. Senators and Reps from all 50 states are playing along. Part of the team. You have no representation. Your vote doesn’t count. Enforcement of any law is tyrannical at this point. This is where we are at. Either take a knee and bow or don’t. The 1st, 2nd, and 4th Amendment are dead. There isn’t much else to discuss.

So, just to be clear, because you don't recognize the legitimacy of our most recent elections, you're recommending to pistol-braced firearm owners that they just disregard any policy changes, thereby subjecting themselves to criminal charges, firearm confiscation, enormous fines, going to prison, getting their dog shot and their door kicked-in, kids taken away, and potentially any combination of the above?

By the same logic, do you also recommend people disregard the rest of the NFA and just modify their ARs to make them full-auto, and make their own suppressors?

You know I seem to remember a court case that said all laws are pugnant the Constitution are void from the minute of inception, or some such. It doesn't matter none of us are gonna do anything to stop them anyway. And I'm not talking about violence, we can't even be bothered to write a letter, call, or have a sit down with our representatives it's no wonder they don't represent us.

The Patriot act killed what remained of the Constitution and the bill of rights. We haven't had either in a long time.

Reactions: BytorJr
I didn’t say any of that or recommend anything. You on the other hand called people stupid that choose not to comply with tyrants and then put words in my mouth that weren’t said.

I didn't call anyone stupid. I basically paraphrased the majority sentiment from the recent thread on the form 1 suppressor parts fiasco. Most people in that thread basically agreed that if you're making cans without approval, you're an idiot and you were asking for whatever happens to you. I brought it up because this is basically the same thing -albeit a different device.

In replying to your political diatribe, I was just pointing out the obvious flaw in your logic. You've complied with all the NFA rules up to now (supposedly) -rules which by definition are unconstitutional. But you're implying that we shouldn't submit to any future additions or modifications *because* they are unconstitutional. See my point?

Yes, we should all be writing/calling our reps and making a noise about this -that's a given. But I want to have a productive and realistic conversation about remaining a law-abiding citizen without forfeiting your pistol braced-guns if and when the laws or interpretation thereof change regarding pistol braced-firearms (which, if we're honest, is extremely likely).

I'm sure the internet revolutionaries will advocate for simply ignoring unjust laws/taxation/registration because 2A, but I'm not interested in becoming a felon over this any more than I'm willing to do it over suppressors. It is absolutely ridiculous that suppressors are subject to NFA regs, but if someone built a can in their garage without complying to NFA regs, we'd call them an fool. Same thing here.

So, assuming this goes through and your braced guns are now NFA items. . .

1. Can you just remove all furniture (brace and attachments) from the buffer tube and be back in compliance?
-If so, you could just remove your brace to get in immediate compliance and then file to SBR your lower.

2. Assuming the answer to question 1 is no, can you file to SBR your lower after they declare your braced-weapon subject to NFA and be in compliance, or would filing at this point get you an automatic "you shouldn't have this because we changed the law and it's not already registered as an SBR, so we'll have to confiscate it."
-If so, it seems the only way to remain in compliance to a law that is about to change and not have to forfeit your gun after the change is to SBR it before the change.

Discuss.
I would also like to know the ins and outs of this. If it is an ar based firearm, can you simply seperate the upper from the lower, and go about your business until the law gets thrown out like bump stocks, or an administration changes? Knowing how they handle everything else, It will probably look something like:
If it has a gas tube, confiscate the pistol grip and 1 detent pin.
If it is a blowback system, and it's black, destroy the reciever.
If it is a color other than black, but not orange, remove the sights, and buffer spring.
It's an algorithm we civilians can never understand.

Reactions: Odysseus1911
I would also like to know the ins and outs of this. If it is an ar based firearm, can you simply seperate the upper from the lower, and go about your business until the law gets thrown out like bump stocks, or an administration changes? Knowing how they handle everything else, It will probably look something like:
If it has a gas tube, confiscate the pistol grip and 1 detent pin.
If it is a blowback system, and it's black, destroy the reciever.
If it is a color other than black, but not orange, remove the sights, and buffer spring.
It's an algorithm we civilians can never understand.

In all seriousness, shouldn't removing the brace furniture put you in compliance?

In all seriousness, shouldn't removing the brace furniture put you in compliance?
That turns it back into a pistol....

Oh, wait.
It always was a pistol until some arbitrary rule was made at some alphabet agency to try and infringe upon people's rights just a little bit more.

That turns it back into a pistol....

Oh, wait.
It always was a pistol until some arbitrary rule was made at some alphabet agency to try and infringe upon people's rights just a little bit more.

I agree that it's arbitrary and purely political. But I guess the heart of the matter is: do the interpretation/rule changes basically rule everything with a short barrel as an NFA item, regardless of furniture or the lack thereof?

Everyone remembers the first AR pistols. It was just a short-barreled AR with a naked buffer tube. Would the new rules/interpretations make even those first AR pistols into NFA items?

I really think this is the main question that needs to be answered.

I agree that it's arbitrary and purely political. But I guess the heart of the matter is: do the interpretation/rule changes basically rule everything with a short barrel as an NFA item, regardless of furniture or the lack thereof?

Everyone remembers the first AR pistols. It was just a short-barreled AR with a naked buffer tube. Would the new rules/interpretations make even those first AR pistols into NFA items?

I really think this is the main question that needs to be answered.

Here's what was entered into the Federal Register:

"A. Current Unlicensed Possessors

In order to comply with the provisions of the NFA, current unlicensed possessors of a firearm equipped with a “stabilizing brace” and a barrel length of less than 16 inches that would qualify as a “short-barreled rifle” as indicated on the ATF Worksheet 4999 contained in this proposed rule would need to take one of the following actions before the effective date of a final rule.​

(1) Permanently remove or alter the “stabilizing brace” such that it cannot be reattached, thus converting the firearm back to its original pistol configuration (as long as it was originally configured without a stock and as a pistol) and thereby removing it from regulation as a “firearm” under the NFA. Exercising this option would mean the pistol would no longer be “equipped with” the stabilizing brace within the meaning of the proposed rule.​

(2) Remove the short barrel and attach a 16-inch or longer barrel to the firearm thus removing it from the provisions of the NFA.​

(3) Destroy the firearm. ATF will publish information regarding proper destruction on its website, www.atf.gov.​

(4) Turn the firearm into your local ATF office.​

(5) Complete and submit an Application to Make and Register a Firearm, ATF Form 1 (“Form 1”). As part of the submission, the $200 tax payment is required with the application. Pursuant to 27 CFR 479.102, the name, city, and state of the maker of the firearm must be properly marked on the firearm. All other markings, placed by the original manufacturer, should be adopted. Proof of submission of the Form 1 should be maintained by all possessors. Documentation establishing submission of Form 1 includes, but is not limited Start Printed Page 30844to, eForm submission acknowledgement, proof of payment, or copy of Form 1 submission with postmark documentation."​

I bought an item that was "ATF approved" as sold. Now they're telling me they changed their mind and it is now illegal to possess as "approved". Ex post facto? Seems unconstitutional...
Well, you're in luck. This is not a new law, but merely a new interpretation of an existing law. If adopted, and this is the important part (because all of this was brought back to the surface by fear-mongering YouTubers that needed some additional clicks to keep them from having to get actual jobs), the new interpretation will be that braces were always illegal, thus skirting any ex post facto arguments...

Reactions: Romeo458
I bought an item that was "ATF approved" as sold. Now they're telling me they changed their mind and it is now illegal to possess as "approved". Ex post facto? Seems unconstitutional...
Just send some money to the NRA, I'm sure they will be up to challenging this.

• Haha
Reactions: E. Bryant