• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Athlon Ares BTR 4.5x27x50

A close friend has one. It works great and I want one! I have the Ares 2.5-15x50, I like it better than my 3-12x44 LRHS.

Yesterday another guy I know that sells optics and gun related stuff showed up at our shoot with a brand of scope I won't mention. It's not really a scope we see around here anyway but this model is only a couple hundred less, all I can say is that thing was a total POS! There's no comparison between it and the Ares and actually I'd much rather have one of the Talos BTR's than that thing at half the price. I mentioned all this just to point out that you chose one of the best values around in a rifle scope and could have done far worse.

I am pretty impressed with mine. Its one of those few scopes that punches out of its price range, when looking at features and glass. I wish it would have come with a sunshade, and bikini cover. My other complaint is even more nitpicky, but I wish they would have only used three set screws on their turret cover and rev limiter zero stop instead of four.

I have the 2.5-15x50 and I initially compared it to Vortex PST GenII 3-15 SFP. I had just a few minutes to compare them, handheld, in the parking lot of the dealer but I came away thinking if I had to pick which one had the better glass, I believe the PST did.

however, in FFP, it was also $250 more than the Ares and IMO, there was not that much difference between the scopes...

Interested in hearing more on this scope as well. Thinking about putting it on a Varmint rig.

I have the 2.5-15x50 and I initially compared it to Vortex PST GenII 3-15 SFP. I had just a few minutes to compare them, handheld, in the parking lot of the dealer but I came away thinking if I had to pick which one had the better glass, I believe the PST did.

however, in FFP, it was also $250 more than the Ares and IMO, there was not that much difference between the scopes...

Did you adjust the turrets? There is no comparison between the turrets imo. The 5-25 pst Gen II that I handled today had significantly better turrets than what I’ve seen on the Ares. I was actually surprised at how nice the turrets were on the PST Gen II.

I just picked up an Ares last week.Took it out and was very impressed.I got it from Anarchy Outdoors and got $125.00 in store credit which I used for a ARC 10rd mag and Area 419 mag extension.I have mine mounted on a Rem.700 with a Bartlein 24" chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.It took 3 shots to get it sighted in.The scope tracks perfectly,and is super clear.I was also shooting my 7WSM with a Vortex pst 6-24.I would say the glass quality is slightly better on the Ares.The zero stop is awesome.since it doesnt use shims like the PST,I could set the stop where it actually was on zero,not a few clicks from true zero on the PST.I used the the scope out to 980 yds on steel and clay birds.and was getting consistant hits both with the reticle Mils and adjusting it up and down.I'm sold on Athlon for a great scope in their price range.

I have the 4.5-27 on a T3 with a krieger 223 AI in a MDT LSS . Shot 3 Pdogs at 600 + multiple others 3-400 yds on Thursday. I can't compare it to the gen 2 PST but in my estimations compares favorably to the SWFA HD 5-20. Turrents may not be as nice but the glass is good eye relief is better for me on the Ares and the reticle is good to go. Turrents were good enough in the breeze and dust of Eastern Mt. I haven't set the zero stop yet since I haven't decided whether to leave it on this rifle. I would definitely buy another for a varmint rifle!

Did you adjust the turrets? There is no comparison between the turrets imo. The 5-25 pst Gen II that I handled today had significantly better turrets than what I’ve seen on the Ares. I was actually surprised at how nice the turrets were on the PST Gen II.

yeah but I didn't note that one was better than the other. again, just quick peak in the parking lot at a building on the other side of 500 yards but I think it might have been something that stood out.

one thing I do notice is the windage turret is better than elevation. that one is about equal to my SWFA 3-15.

how long ago did you look at them? rumor is they have been improving these ongoing as they get feedback. could be something...

3 weeks ago was the production model ARES. Gen 2 PST arrived about a week ago.

Im not sure if this was an earlier model Ares or not, but I’m not sure how much they can really change. The smaller turret body forces the spacing between “clicks” to be very close together. I would think that the spacing being close together would require a smaller detent, which isn’t something that can be readily changed without adjusting the overall design.

Thinking about putting this on top of a 223 "trainer". Everything I've read states that its a great value. I keep recommending it to a few of my buddies who are in need of scopes - Hoping one gets it so I can play with it a little first.

yeah but I didn't note that one was better than the other. again, just quick peak in the parking lot at a building on the other side of 500 yards but I think it might have been something that stood out.

one thing I do notice is the windage turret is better than elevation. that one is about equal to my SWFA 3-15.

how long ago did you look at them? rumor is they have been improving these ongoing as they get feedback. could be something...

What you mentioned about the windage turret. That's what I noticed about a friends PST2. I didn't do a side by side with them but the PST2 turrets had nothing noteworthy in difference compared to the Ares 4.5-27 that I could call out, in other words I certainly wouldn't have picked one over the other because of how the turrets felt. There's a slight difference between the elevation turret on my Ares 2.5-15 and it's windage turret but hardly different.

I do know my friends 4.5-27 has more turret tension than my 2.5-15 and he got his a month later than I did but I'm fine with my scope's turrets.

Between the two to me, it's a decision based on what reticle you prefer, whether you want a 2x more mag on the top,1/2x less on the bottom, and how much money you want to spend.

but if nitpicking...

The Ares is 2.2" shorter at 13.8".
lighter at 27.3oz vs 31.2oz
1 foot wider FOV on 4.5x.
4 more mils of elevation travel.
A reticle that doesn't have mil line numbers potentially in the way of wind holdoffs.
Very simple zero stop system.

I’d be happy to review them head to head and post up a video. I’d like to be pleasantly surprised, as we as shooters need as many affordable options as possible. It was by chance that I ran into someone at the range that had the Ares, but feel free to PM me for a shipping address if you’d like to assist.

I’d be happy to review them head to head and post up a video. I’d like to be pleasantly surprised, as we as shooters need as many affordable options as possible. It was by chance that I ran into someone at the range that had the Ares, but feel free to PM me for a shipping address if you’d like to assist.

you want my shipping address? to send me a PST?.. :rolleyes:

all seriousness aside, the PSTGen II possibly could have had the better turrets. and if I was forced to choose I would say it probably did have "better" glass. but neither stood out enough to be noteworthy, it was just a feeling I had...

it certainly wasn't enough to make me spend $250 more for the PST Gen II FFP.

the PST Gen II I looked at was a SFP if that makes a difference...

I have both in my possession, so I will put them side by side and take a look. I should have some initial impression how they compare in a week or so.

I've had the Ares for a bit and I like it. It offers a lot for the money and it has been working well for me so far. I think I will put it onto my 338LM next and see if it survives.

ILya

I have both in my possession, so I will put them side by side and take a look. I should have some initial impression how they compare in a week or so.

I've had the Ares for a bit and I like it. It offers a lot for the money and it has been working well for me so far. I think I will put it onto my 338LM next and see if it survives.

ILya

Finally an unbiased side by side comparison. Looking forward to it.

ILya

Bump for update :)

I've got a couple of Ares 4.5-27x50 mil scopes mounted on - 1. M70 in 6x47L, and 2. Howa Mini in 6RAT. Both track well, though I haven't taken the time to do a tall target/box test with either yet. Don't have a Gen II PST to compare them to, only a couple of sfp Gen I PST 6-24x50s. I like the Ares' optical quality & reticle better than the older PSTs, but have to say that the click/detents of the PSTs are more distinct than those of the Ares. To my sense of values, the Ares' zero stop is more than enough superior to the shims of the PST to make up for the difference in click/detents. And the glass of the Ares is noticeably better than that of the PST.

I'm a dealer for Athlon, though I don't have a store front - just a one-man gunsmithing shop. So most of the optics I sell go to guys I shoot with. My own Bighorn comp rifles all three wear Kahles K624i AMR scopes, though I've got a Cronus 4.5-29x56 on another Bighorn in 223AI, and a couple more Cronus 4.5-29x56s on my 22RF 40X repeater conversions done by jelrod. Really like the Cronus scopes, and as I get more experience with the Ares, I feel pretty good about selling them to friends.

I've shot the Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 in Mil in 2 PRS matches now - Lone Survivor and Snipers Hide. Its mounted on my Tikka T3x Tac A1, and I'm shooting Production Division. I had a lot of problems with my ammo, but the gun and scope combination has shot great. At Sniper's Hide I had a first round hit at 1000 using the predicted dope from AB, so the scope tracking looks spot on to me as well.