• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Ares ETR

I probably could of got my ETR fixed but after two scopes with the same issues. The first time I called athlon they were like really they don’t line up? Thats weird send it back and we’ll take care of you and after I got my second one they said ya that’s an issue with the ETR sorry. Maybe I got the guy on a bad day but idk. I returned it thru an online retailer anyways. but the cool thing is Doug from camera land PM me today asking for me to call him. He called athlon on my behalf and talked to someone that would help me out so thanks Doug. That’s customer service I didn’t even buy it thru him. So if your in the market for anything go thru Doug. He just earned my business.
Sorry to hear about the poor performance of the Ares ETR, but somewhat relieved to hear that CameraLand really takes care of people (even when you were not one of their customers). My next purchase will likely be with them. I had wanted to get the Ares ETR, but upon reading what you & Septic Death both wrote on March 27th, I am again considering the Cronus BTR or Razor Gen 2. Unfortunately both cost more, and require more time to save up the money. Thanks for the feedback.

Would anyone be able to explain in better detail on setting the Zero Stop please? Thank you for your time.

The ETR has been around for a little while now, so what is the consensus, is the reticle usable at lowest power, or does it become practically invisible? I'm guessing the illumination is a must in low-ish light, but what about at mid-day against dark objects?

The ETR has been around for a little while now, so what is the consensus, is the reticle usable at lowest power, or does it become practically invisible? I'm guessing the illumination is a must in low-ish light, but what about at mid-day against dark objects?

I have never shot with mine below 8x personally. It is at 10-18 for most match stages.

For most situations the reticle is usable at 10 and up during the day. I use mine for NRL22, PRS/NRL, a "ELR" type match, and hunting. I am able to see the graduations on the lower mag (10 up) for all of those.

Last year I took an elk at very low light on the lowest magnification with illumination on the lowest setting at about 80-100 yards. During the day, I can see the illuminated reticle against a black paper target or dot, but it is not very bright. Perhaps the illumination would be helpful for black targets against dark back grounds. I have not had many opportunities to shoot those types of setups though with this scope. (I had an XTR II before that was horrible for this) I think in that case, glass quality will be a bigger hindrance than the illuminated reticle. I occasionally have a hard time with shot up small targets seeing the outline of them against a dirt/darker berm. But still overall, the glass is way better than many other scopes in its class.

Reactions: SupressYourself
Thanks @Tactical Taz . For me, this scope would mostly be used on steel from 100 to 1270 yards, but I would also use it for hunting. I need it to be usable at the lowest power so I have the widest field of view for coyote hunting, where they can pop up at any range. For me, "usable" doesn't mean using the hashes for holds. It means being able to tell where the center of the thing is so I can put it on a coyote that pops out at 50 yards.

I have a Cronos, And Ares Btr and a Midas and they are all awesome scopes, no problems with any of them. If I needed another , I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I have a Cronos, And Ares Btr and a Midas and they are all awesome scopes, no problems with any of them. If I needed another , I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
I just bought the Ares BTR 4.5- 27 from CL and quite honestly I'm really disappointed! Above 20x I CAN'T get a clear eyebox picture. If I don't have my head EXACTLY, perfectly, centered it clouds up. I've got a Burris 3-15 XTR and a 5-25 XTR and was told this would compare to them. I know the Burris scopes aren't the best and not well thought of here but they work for me. In a side by side comparison with the 5-25, both set at 20x, the Athlon isn't as clear and doesn't seem like magnification is as much as the Burris. Got to focus(squint?) a little more to get the same picture. I puchased the Athlon for a future rifle purchase but now I don't know what I'll do. Seemed like the thing to do at the time! Greg

Last edited:
I just bought the Ares BTR 4.5- 27 and quite honestly I'm really disappointed! Above 20x I CAN'T get a clear eyebox picture. If I don't have my head EXACTLY, perfectly, centered it clouds up. I've got a Burris 3-15 XTR and a 5-25 XTR and was told this would compare to them. I know the Burris scopes aren't the best and not well thought of here but they work for me. In a side by side comparison with the 5-25, both set at 20x, the Athlon isn't as clear and doesn't seem like magnification is as much as the Burris. Got to focus(squint?) a little more to get the same picture. I puchased the Athlon for a future rifle purchase but now I don't know what I'll do. Seemed like the thing to do at the time!
The ares btr is not quite as nice as the ares ETR which is a good scope with nice glass but not the most reliable. They are made in China, so they won’t be as reliable. I bought my nephew the ares etr & he had it almost a month & the elevation turret came loose. We returned it & I got him the Cronus btr which is made in Japan by LOW, they also make the razor gen2, bushnell xrs2/dmr pro, & delta striker hd among other top of the line scopes. My nephew shoots a lot & competes so we decided to upgrade to the Cronus btr over the ares etr. For the occasional shooter I think the ares etr will be a good choice but not if you compete, the Cronus btr is not much more $$ & is one of the best performance for the $$$ & my nephew says it’s as nice as my mk5hd 56mm or a razor

I have beat the living shit out of my ETR. It has seen close to 40 matches now and has been out in the worst conditions you'll shoot in many times. It travels between a 22, comp rig, and a hunting rig. Just because it is made in China doesnt mean it is inherently more likely to fail. Sure, statistically more of those scopes might have a fault, but it doesn't necessarily mean the design is flawed.

The ETR is a definite upgrade from the BTR. However, I dont think you (@coyotewillie ) should be having the problems you are experiencing. Before the ETR, the BTR made the rounds on all my guns. If it is a new purchase I would get ahold of CL and or Athlon and see about exchanging it for another or go a different route if you cant trust them anymore. Just like all scopes, even the high end ones, there will be a sample variation in everything including glass quality. The minox thread for example illustrates this. For me the ETR reticle, turret and locking windage is an upgrade over the Cronus. I might be losing a little on glass, although I am not sure It is much, but the other features are a big upgrade to me. I can also say from my sample of 1 that it is a very durable optic.

Thanks @Tactical Taz . For me, this scope would mostly be used on steel from 100 to 1270 yards, but I would also use it for hunting. I need it to be usable at the lowest power so I have the widest field of view for coyote hunting, where they can pop up at any range. For me, "usable" doesn't mean using the hashes for holds. It means being able to tell where the center of the thing is so I can put it on a coyote that pops out at 50 yards.

For how I shoot coyotes I would say at 50 yards yes, but I am not trying to save fur. If absolute accuracy is what you need, then I am not sure. The reticle is pretty small at min magnification. I will say, on a hunting rig, the ETR is a little heavy and I find it somewhat awkward to carry slung on my back.

Reactions: SupressYourself
I knew when I ordered this scope it wasn't in the same league as some of the other high dollar scopes, but thought from all the glowing reports it would be more than adequate for my needs. Hey, I know my Burris aren't top notch either, but I expected a little more. Looking at my Burris specifications, eye relief is listed as a range. The BTR isn't. But, neither is the ETR. You have to move up to the Cronus before you have a listed eye relief range. Does this mean you're going to have a tighter eye box if its only a single given eye relief figure? I'm looking at getting a 338 RPR this summer and have to consider all costs. Going up to the price of a Cronus (or comparible priced scope) doesn't really work out. Greg

I did not know the eye relief was listed as a single number. Interesting for sure. All I am saying is my experience of the BTR was better than the 5-25 XTR II I had. I don't know if you are SOL with the BTR, but I am sure CL will help you out if you are not happy with it. I had not dillusions of you thinking the BTR would be in the same league as other optics. But I have heard stories of people getting a bad sample of various scopes and having the store they bought it from exchange or return it when it was compared to another like model. Just trying to say I think you have options.

Also, my etr seems to be a lot more forgiving for eye relief and eye box than the BTR i had.

My ETR is definately better than the XTRII 4-20 that my son had on his RPR.

The etr definitely has better glass than the xtr2 but it’s definitely not as reliable. My uncles gun shop has had 2 etr scopes elevation turret come loose & according to his distributor it’s not uncommon because it’s held together by glue. If you only occasionally shoot I think the ETR is a good choice. If you depend on your scope for competition or you shoot a lot, I think the Cronus btr is the better choice & it’s a very good scope & reliable. I’m sure there are plenty of people who have put a lot of rounds through the ETR & not had problems but there are higher chances there could be vs the Cronus

Reactions: Tactical Taz
If the Cronus had locking windage, I would have bought it over the ETR. I still may get one, but that is one more thing to check before every stage.

I just bought the Ares BTR 4.5- 27 from CL and quite honestly I'm really disappointed! Above 20x I CAN'T get a clear eyebox picture. If I don't have my head EXACTLY, perfectly, centered it clouds up. I've got a Burris 3-15 XTR and a 5-25 XTR and was told this would compare to them. I know the Burris scopes aren't the best and not well thought of here but they work for me. In a side by side comparison with the 5-25, both set at 20x, the Athlon isn't as clear and doesn't seem like magnification is as much as the Burris. Got to focus(squint?) a little more to get the same picture. I puchased the Athlon for a future rifle purchase but now I don't know what I'll do. Seemed like the thing to do at the time! Greg
Sounds to me like you got a bad sample or your ocular lense is not adjusted correctly, I'd exchange it if it doesnt adjust correctly. mine is very clear at 20x, starts degrading at about 23x ish, still usable at full zoom, remember, it's not "Alpha" grade glass, lol it is awesome for it's pricepoint. I have never had a tracking issue with it.

I cant speak for the Ares ETR, I don't have one.

Last edited:
At some point we must really get that 6 & 8 magnifier will leave you short on the top or bottom especially in a FFP scope. For what it’s worth 3 & 4 magnifiers are the best varible
FFP set ups. I am looking at a Athlon to try out and was thinking of the Midas Or Ares Line. It seems no matter what on the 6 magnifier leaves you lagging on the bottom end for reticle utility and on the top end the eye box becomes so tight you need to epoxy your head to the stock or your screwed. I think after reading about it I’ll stay in a 4-16 or 6-24 scopes. My Atacr’s 5-25 are really 7-25 and I really don’t you mine past 18x.

It seems no matter what on the 6 magnifier leaves you lagging on the bottom end for reticle utility and on the top end the eye box becomes so tight you need to epoxy your head to the stock or your screwed.
You say all that as if it changes how the scope performs in the middle of the magnification range where you would use it most. Just because a scope can go down to 5x or up to 30x doesn't mean you need to use it at 5x or 30x if you're not a fan of the reticle or eyebox at either portion of the magnification.

I like the flexibility because it allows you to glass for targets quickly with a wide FOV at 5x, then zoom in tighter to your preferred magnification once you find it. The higher top end isn't particularly practical for field matches, but it is something nice to have when doing load development or other shooting from a bench (as evidenced by most benchrest scopes going into the 40x magnifaction range or higher).

Reactions: b6graham
Getting a new notification reminds me... I have a brand spanking new Ares ETR 4.5 30x50 bought last year with the intent of getting it for a wished for 300 Norma Mag rifle --never got the rifle. Probably won't at this point. I'm thinking I might be willing to sell it for $50 less than today's price.

You say all that as if it changes how the scope performs in the middle of the magnification range where you would use it most. Just because a scope can go down to 5x or up to 30x doesn't mean you need to use it at 5x or 30x if you're not a fan of the reticle or eyebox at either portion of the magnification.

I like the flexibility because it allows you to glass for targets quickly with a wide FOV at 5x, then zoom in tighter to your preferred magnification once you find it. The higher top end isn't particularly practical for field matches, but it is something nice to have when doing load development or other shooting from a bench (as evidenced by most benchrest scopes going into the 40x magnifaction range or higher).

If you look at the specs of the scope FOV high and low is directly correlated to the magnifier. A lower magnifier will give you more FOV at any given range

Also when looking at a bench scope you will find those 40x 55x and 60x will all have low end starting 12x 15 x 18 x. That will roll out between 3 to 4 magnifier.

So if you shoot between 6-18 then why not just buy a scope that gives you the optimum performance between the range you shoot. Use a spotter for spotting or calling.

If you look at the Athlon page and check the specs a 3 -4 magnifier will give you better field of view, more eye relief, larger exit pupil that will equate to more forgiving Eyebox etc.

The numbers back it up and the 6-8 magnifiers make for lack luster performance.

So if you shoot between 6-18 then why not just buy a scope that gives you the optimum performance between the range you shoot. Use a spotter for spotting or calling.
Because eyebox size isn't much of a concern for me and I like the flexibility it provides. I currently shoot with a 5x erector scope, but I had the Ares ETR previously and liked it quite a bit.

I mostly use my scopes at around 10-14 power, yes, but I also use them at minimum and maximum power quite frequently. I often will crank the magnification to minimum to find my targets in the scope more quickly before zooming in while I aim and shoot. It's particularly helpful when targets are placed in an open field with few landmarks available to orient yourself in the scope, but it doesn't really matter if you're shooting in an area with easily distinguishable landmarks. I also always shoot with maximum magnification from the bench which makes it easier to both spot my shots without an extra spotting scope and aim more precisely since I can more clearly see my exact point of aim.

The eybox doesn't matter much to me because I can set up my rifle so that it fits myself and the scope well. I can adjust the cheek riser up, down, forwards and back and I know what it feels like to have my face placed correctly on the riser. If I put the riser in the right spot and I put my cheek in the same spot on the riser each time then my eye naturally ends up inside of even tight eyeboxes. Obviously if an eyebox was ridiculous from using a 15 magnifier or something I'd probably see issues, but I haven't seen any problems with 6-8 magnifiers and their flexibility is a large benefit.

Getting a new notification reminds me... I have a brand spanking new Ares ETR 4.5 30x50 bought last year with the intent of getting it for a wished for 300 Norma Mag rifle --never got the rifle. Probably won't at this point. I'm thinking I might be willing to sell it for $50 less than today's price.

Pm me your price pls

I use my cronus all the time at max power, especially at 100 when zeroing but also at long range when it isn't hot. Multiple targets and moving positions and I'll bring it down below 20x. No problem with the eyebox on the cronus. My ares BTR is tight at max power, but fine closer to 20x. Hardly ever use it below 10x but it shouldn't be a problem, if I'm that wide all I need to see is the center, not like I'd be holding for wind at 5x.

Reactions: spife7980
The etr definitely has better glass than the xtr2 but it’s definitely not as reliable. My uncles gun shop has had 2 etr scopes elevation turret come loose & according to his distributor it’s not uncommon because it’s held together by glue. If you only occasionally shoot I think the ETR is a good choice. If you depend on your scope for competition or you shoot a lot, I think the Cronus btr is the better choice & it’s a very good scope & reliable. I’m sure there are plenty of people who have put a lot of rounds through the ETR & not had problems but there are higher chances there could be vs the Cronus

Did he mean that an internal part of the turret is glued together or the turret indicator ring came loose because it is glued on?

Add me to the list i have the same issue with mine.