• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Ares ETR

I have been thinking about getting an athlon etr but the made in China for $1000 has made me hesitate on pulling the trigger. I have a 34mm spuhr mount sitting here that needs a scope. Since the bushnell dmr2 pro has come down in price at $1475 & goes on sale for $1275 for a little extra you get a proven in competition Japanese made scope & great warranty. My friends xrs2 has glass almost as good as my pmii. So this makes for a tough decision do I save $$ & take a chance on the etr or spend a little extra on the dmr2 pro for the better glass & reliability. I just got a leupold mk5hd 25x cch on sale for $1700 & the tmr model is $1750 now & theses scopes are close to pmii quality. There’s a lot of competition here you could save a little $$ & maybe get a good one or spend a little more & get a really good scope

Where are you finding the DMR2 Pro for those prices? I have only seen it for $1999.99 so far.

I have been thinking about getting an athlon etr but the made in China for $1000 has made me hesitate on pulling the trigger. I have a 34mm spuhr mount sitting here that needs a scope. Since the bushnell dmr2 pro has come down in price at $1475 & goes on sale for $1275 for a little extra you get a proven in competition Japanese made scope & great warranty. My friends xrs2 has glass almost as good as my pmii. So this makes for a tough decision do I save $$ & take a chance on the etr or spend a little extra on the dmr2 pro for the better glass & reliability. I just got a leupold mk5hd 25x cch on sale for $1700 & the tmr model is $1750 now & theses scopes are close to pmii quality. There’s a lot of competition here you could save a little $$ & maybe get a good one or spend a little more & get a really good scope
Sell the mount and enjoy your PMII.

Attachments

• 433945B4-5931-4863-880A-67804090299C.jpeg
    433945B4-5931-4863-880A-67804090299C.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 223
  • 65E38504-1F0E-4E8C-8D4B-C04C77C994BE.jpeg
    65E38504-1F0E-4E8C-8D4B-C04C77C994BE.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 225
Reactions: S3th
I would shy away from athelon I bought a ares etr a few months back the first one I got the lines on the elevation and wind turrets did not line up so I called and they said send it back and we’ll send you out a new one so I payed $17 to send it back then they called and said we’re waiting for out next shipment and it would be about a month. Dam ok so I finally got my second one and bam same thing the turrets are all out of wack. So I called again and they told me that. Ya that’s a normal thing with the etr sorry. I asked for a refund they said they don’t do that so basically they said tough shit I was just going to have to deal with it because it’s just a normal thing with the etr. So I won’t be buying another athelon product.

Reactions: LAW-DOG
Haha no I bought it from a online retailer so I just returned it thru them but I can’t believe athelon pretty much told me to pound sand

I am of the understanding that the turret knob is a two-piece glued together assembly, you could have just requested the parts and put them together to your own satisfaction. But I guess you made into pound sand territory, so yeah go buy something else.

Reactions: Bryan marks
I bought one several months ago..An Athlon Ares ETR..the turrets are a tiny bit off but not enough to be a problem I guess. In fact its dead on when looking at it from the side where my head always is anyways. When looking at it from dead straight behind I can see its off a bit. I think the Athlon gods knew i was a lefty and on purpose made it that way.:)

I bought one several months ago..An Athlon Ares ETR..the turrets are a tiny bit off but not enough to be a problem I guess. In fact its dead on when looking at it from the side where my head always is anyways. When looking at it from dead straight behind I can see its off a bit. I think the Athlon gods knew i was a lefty and on purpose made it that way.:)

LOL, they put it in the middle so lefties can see it one way and righties the other way! o_O Trying to make everyone happy. :cool:

Just kidding! My Athlon Cronus turret markings are dead on! :D

Reactions: RNWRKNP
The Argos BTR had issues with the turrets being off depending on how you zero the scope. If you left the scope the way the factory zeroed it, the turrets would line up. If you adjusted it 2-3 clicks off from where the factory zeroed it, the turrets would be stuck in the middle. If you adjusted it 5 clicks off from where the factory zeroed it, the turrets would line up again. Below I've included a quote of why this is from Athlon customer support, though this email was in January 2018 so may not still apply:

Honestly it doesn't matter which way you click it sir. I would go counter-clockwise. Our Argos BTR and Helos BTR are the models that will occasionally have this issue sir. All of our other models are working great. They will line up, but you just have to get the splines in the right grooves. one is a 5 spline and the other is a 6 spline. I believe that the male will be the 5 spline. I can walk you through this over the phone if you would like.

It was a pattern based on how far off your zero was from a multiple of 5 clicks away from the factory zero, because the splines on the turret caps didn't match up for some bizarre reason. I can only think they were using some extreme parts sharing or something.

I have, however, handled 4 different Ares ETR scopes and found that not one of them had this same issue. All of the ones I messed around with would zero properly anywhere within the adjustment range of the scope, and the turret caps always lined up with the turrets themselves. I'm pretty surprised, in fact, to hear about the issues with the scope caps not lining up properly since it's the first I've seen or heard of this problem with the ETR (I wonder if they got a bad batch of them, since the initial ones seemed great).

Reactions: DanGTG
I bought mine in October. My windage doesn't line up on my ETR but the elevation is perfect. I don't adjust the windage knob except on spin drift. Kind of annoying but not a huge deal to me. If it was the elevation knob I would have got ahold of Doug already at Cameraland. Scope tracks perfect and the glass is nice.

I probably could of got my ETR fixed but after two scopes with the same issues. The first time I called athlon they were like really they don’t line up? Thats weird send it back and we’ll take care of you and after I got my second one they said ya that’s an issue with the ETR sorry. Maybe I got the guy on a bad day but idk. I returned it thru an online retailer anyways. but the cool thing is Doug from camera land PM me today asking for me to call him. He called athlon on my behalf and talked to someone that would help me out so thanks Doug. That’s customer service I didn’t even buy it thru him. So if your in the market for anything go thru Doug. He just earned my business.

One of the guys who has taught me a lot... In fact who got me hooked on rifles and long range shooting and and everything that goes with it....and I don't care what much better people then me or him(sarcasm) here on SH have to say about him....just posted this..

ps..I love you too Frank Galli. Ive probably spent the same amount of time listening to both of you. Would I maybe have learned more in less minutes if I started with you instead of him? hell yes. But I didn't. I found him without even looking. Through him and what he started in me I found you.

Damn that could be the start of a song since your taking up music again:) @Lowlight

One of the guys who has taught me a lot... In fact who got me hooked on rifles and long range shooting and and everything that goes with it....and I don't care what much better people then me or him(sarcasm) here on SH have to say about him....just posted this..

ps..I love you too Frank Galli. Ive probably spent the same amount of time listening to both of you. Would I maybe have learned more in less minutes if I started with you instead of him? hell yes. But I didn't. I found him without even looking. Through him and what he started in me I found you.

Damn that could be the start of a song since your taking up music again:) @Lowlight

Rex and frank together man that would be one hell of a class. Between Rex and frank and can’t forget about Mike has taught me a boat load of knowledge. Saving up for one of Franks classes

Rex and frank together man that would be one hell of a class. Between Rex and frank and can’t forget about Mike has taught me a boat load of knowledge. Saving up for one of Franks classes
I kinda doubt that would work out. Who would do the talking?? lol

I used to think I want a class from Rex..but now I think i'd def go with Frank and Mike.

I have been thinking about getting an athlon etr but the made in China for $1000 has made me hesitate on pulling the trigger.
That's how I felt so I got the Cronus instead. It was a little more but it's made in Japan
If you go Athlon give Cameraland a call
They did right by me and the next time I buy it will be from them

That's how I felt so I got the Cronus instead. It was a little more but it's made in Japan
I would like to see a Cronus but no one at the local range has one & my uncles gun shop has not sold any just etr & cheaper models. I picked up a leupold mk5hd 25x during the flash sale at liberty optics but I’m looking to get another scope for a new rifle. What made you choose the Cronus over say a razor, xrs2/dmr2 pro, or mk5hd?

I would like to see a Cronus but no one at the local range has one & my uncles gun shop has not sold any just etr & cheaper models. I picked up a leupold mk5hd 25x during the flash sale at liberty optics but I’m looking to get another scope for a new rifle. What made you choose the Cronus over say a razor, xrs2/dmr2 pro, or mk5hd?
I've had a couple of Cronus BTR and just got an Ares ETR. The ETR has better turrets and the difference in the glass is very small with the Cronus only being a little brighter. IMO, the Cronus isn't worth the money over the ETR.

Last edited:
I've had a couple of Cronus BTR and just got an Ares ETR. The ETR has better turrets and the difference in the glass is very small with the Cronus only being a little better. IMO, the Cronus isn't worth the money over the ETR.

I went with the ares... Really love it so far

Turrets are awesome, floating dot reticle and glass blows away anything else I've owned(I haven't owned mutch so it's GREAT to me)

I have heard good things about CameraLand, and would probably buy from them for my next purchase. Like One1Bravo said though, I have been kind of torn between which one to get; both seem very nice to me, and have been tempted to get the cheaper Area ETR (with the same glass). Whatever you decide, whether the Cronus BTR or Ares ETR, I think you will be very happy with your purchase.

Shout Out to Doug and CameraLand, my Ares ETR sunshade just arrived fits great and the finish variations I've been reading about aren't an issue with mine. Ordered Monday and received today coast to coast shipment. (y)

I got an athlon etr to use on a rifle i dont plan to shoot as much as my others, i typically get a gen2 razor, but at the 2k yard range near me, I can see a much better picture with the ares ETR than my gen 2 razors... I was shocked the first day i had them out side by side. To me, you cant go wrong with them.

I have been kind of torn between which one to get; both seem very nice to me, and have been tempted to get the cheaper Area ETR (with the same glass).

GET AN ARES ETR!! I like it better than my gen2 razor at half the price! you cant go wrong

• Wow
Reactions: SepticDeath
I have an Ares ETR, Cronus BTR and Razor HD Gen2.

I LOVE my ETR and its definitely the best scope on the market at its price point hands down. Glass is excellent. But it is not a Cronus BTR and definitely not a Razor HD Gen2.

I do find the Cronus BTR to be very close to my Gen2 Razor but I still put the Gen2 Razor slightly ahead in clarity dept at max magnification.

Reactions: LAW-DOG and DIBBS
GET AN ARES ETR!! I like it better than my gen2 razor at half the price! you cant go wrong
As much as I wanted to hate the Gen II Razor I found it's actually a pretty awesome scope. I like the ETR but the Razor definitely wins. Like I said, I wouldn't spend the extra cash on a Cronus again now that I have the ETR.

As much as I wanted to hate the Gen II Razor I found it's actually a pretty awesome scope. I like the ETR but the Razor definitely wins. Like I said, I wouldn't spend the extra cash on a Cronus again now that I have the ETR.

When you say Cronus are you referring to the Cronus or Cronus BTR? Big difference there. I wouldnt spend the money on a Cronus over a ETR but I would definitely spend the money on a Cronus BTR.... About to pick up my second Cronus BTR. Hell of a scope for the money.

I really like my ETR but the Japanese made LOW optics just have a different feel and look. It is hard to explain but anyone who has held the 2 optics can tell there is no question which is the LOW made optic. With the quality improvements we are seeing with Chinese made optics though I don’t think it will be long until that distinction is a lot harder to see. I own several Athlon scopes and while they are outstanding optics and a great value I don’t think the Chinese made Athlons are in the same class as the Razor.

When you say Cronus are you referring to the Cronus or Cronus BTR? Big difference there. I wouldnt spend the money on a Cronus over a ETR but I would definitely spend the money on a Cronus BTR.... About to pick up my second Cronus BTR. Hell of a scope for the money.
Cronus BTR. I've owned two and while I think they're great I don't like it any more than the ETR. I find the Cronus BTR to be brighter especially on higher magnification. That's where it stops for me. The turrets on my ETR are better than both of the Cronus BTRs I had. I'm not saying the Cronus BTR is a bad choice, it's just for me the pros over the ETR don't justify the cost difference.

I like my ETR but lets not get stupid here.

I am not getting stupid, I am saying that it performs better visually for me at 2k yards. It isn't a preference or bandwagon statement... it just flat out does. plus it tracks really well also. how it performs is how it performs, and it outperformed my razor visually

I am not getting stupid, I am saying that it performs better visually for me at 2k yards. It isn't a preference or bandwagon statement... it just flat out does. plus it tracks really well also. how it performs is how it performs, and it outperformed my razor visually
You should send your razor back to vortex to be fixed, I’ve seen a number of etr scopes sold at my uncles gun shop & none of came close to the razor quality in optical performance, build quality, or function

Reactions: isaacspoon
You should send your razor back to vortex to be fixed, I’ve seen a number of etr scopes sold at my uncles gun shop & none of came close to the razor quality in optical performance, build quality, or function
i have talked to several other people who have the same mindset as me who also own both scopes... but the good thing about firearms is that we can buy and build the things we as the gun owner want!

You either got a bad Razor or your eyes are wired differently than everyone elses.

Just because of your post I took all 3 to the range yesterday. ETR, Cronus BTR and Razor HD Gen2. Instant noticable difference between all 3 at max magnification. Talking solely about glass clarity. I then had the 3 random people shooting pistol next to me look through all 3 and tell me what they thought.

All rated ETR at bottom and Razor at top. Every one. One guy said Razor and Cronus BTR were same, other 2 said noticable difference from one to the other.

Not a pissing match here but I cant see how anyone could say an ETR is better than a Razor HD Gen2 unless there is a problem with their Razor...

i have talked to several other people who have the same mindset as me who also own both scopes... but the good thing about firearms is that we can buy and build the things we as the gun owner want!
I wasn’t trying to be offensive, I really think you should send your razor back to vortex. There are not many people saying the etr is better than the razor, most definitely think the razor is quite a step up. Most people would put the etr close to the pst2 in performance which makes them a good value no one is debating that.

Most people would put the etr close to the pst2 in performance which makes them a good value no one is debating that.

Now that's a comparison I will say all day ETR. It's not even close. The ETR blows the Gen2 PST out of the water. I had a Gen2 PST for 4 days. It was terrible imho. Took it out of the box, looked through it, put back in box and sold it.

Reactions: 260284
Now that's a comparison I will say all day ETR. It's not even close. The ETR blows the Gen2 PST out of the water. I had a Gen2 PST for 4 days. It was terrible imho. Took it out of the box, looked through it, put back in box and sold it.
You should have sent back to vortex for another one because the Etr definitely doesn’t blow it out of the water. The etr is better than the pst2 but not a lot. You probably got a bad one, it happens a lot with Chinese & Philippines made scopes

Last edited:
I have all 3 as well; etr, Cronus btr and gen 2. Clarity wise to me go as the following etr is on the bottom but not by much and think it’s a great scope. The Cronus btr and razor, to me, are same quality in glass. Maybe it’s just my old eyes but that’s what I see.

Reactions: Alarka
I’m not big on the Vortex pst gen ii 5-25 either. I sold mine, but i think the 3-15 gen ii pst is a great scope and I have a couple. They are much better optically than the 5-25. They just lack a little in the magnification department for a lot of guys.

I’m not big on the Vortex pst gen ii 5-25 either. I sold mine, but i think the 3-15 gen ii pst is a great scope and I have a couple. They are much better optically than the 5-25. They just lack a little in the magnification department for a lot of guys.
I owned both as well I gave them to my niece nephew. To me they were the same but the 50mm was brighter when on the same magnification. 25x is too much for 50mm objectives which is why I like the brighter 56mm etr over the pst2. I just ordered one for another nephew of mine. I will run next to my mk5hd, pmii 25x, uso er25, & hopefully my friends xrs2 & dmr2 pro to see how it stacks up

Reactions: wade2big
I would shy away from athelon I bought a ares etr a few months back the first one I got the lines on the elevation and wind turrets did not line up so I called and they said send it back and we’ll send you out a new one so I payed $17 to send it back then they called and said we’re waiting for out next shipment and it would be about a month. Dam ok so I finally got my second one and bam same thing the turrets are all out of wack. So I called again and they told me that. Ya that’s a normal thing with the etr sorry. I asked for a refund they said they don’t do that so basically they said tough shit I was just going to have to deal with it because it’s just a normal thing with the etr. So I won’t be buying another athelon product.
Just got my ETR and the marks line up perfect all the way around the turret. I also have to Midas Tac and that is a bit off, by .05 mils but I think for a .223 that is workable. Not perfect but manageable out to 400 yards, my expected range of use.

Reactions: isaacspoon