• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Athlon Cronus 7-42x Tactical Spotting Scope: what to expect?

akxx

Cmd Sgt Joker
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2008
Rockies
This is my first quality spotting scope (I realize $1k glass doesn't count as quality for many here--I envy you), which I bought because of the milling reticle and positive reviews. I need help from the Hide regarding what expectations to have regarding clarity at this price range. What I have observed is that I can resolve detail (spotting 6.5 and .308 bullet holes on paper targets) notably better (at 200-300yards) with my rifle-mounted Razor Gen2 4.5-27x at 27x than I can with this spotter at any mag range, including at similar zoom or all the way out to 42x.

Yes, I know my Razor is 2x the price--my question is what should I expect from a spotter at this price range--is my experience what you would expect? I know this sounds ridiculous, but my 9 year old Falcon Menace 5.5-25x riflescope resolves the above-mentioned 300-yd paper targets about as well as this spotter.

This is the model in question (not my pic):
CronusSpotter-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:
I think your suppose to ask about the product before you buy it, but what to I know.

Well there are reviews of it: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...tters-with-reticle-review-comparison.6971166/

I'm definitely no fan boy but did find it to be "best in class" in it's price range. I definitely would have (and have) suggested to anybody who asks to put a few extra hundred $ up and get the Leupy Mk4. That being said I don't really have any complaints about the glass quality in mine so maybe I got a good one or you got a bad one?

Yes—I read what few reviews I could find (thank you @dgheriani — your review was very helpful in my pre-purchase research), but still doesn’t address my question about expectations to compare against good riflescope glass.

Comparison against other spotting scopes doesn’t offer me much to “calibrate” myself on, since I don’t have experience with decent spotting scopes (only crappy range-rental units). It would of course be much easier if I knew someone with a Mk4 or older Razor spotter to view side by side.

Last edited:
Fanboy here....

IMO, a "FFP spotter" in this price range is difficult for Optics Co's to make much better. In other words you'd just have to spend the big bucks to distance yourself from the various optical compromises involved in making this scope for the $ involved.

I personally would rather have a standard spotter with a separate eyepiece like the Ares 15-45x65 with the 24x eyepiece. That is unless I could afford the Hensoldt Spotter 45, wink. The glass this Ares had when I peered through them at ShotShow seemed very good!

Last edited:
Yes—I read what few reviews I could find (thank you @dgheriani — your review was very helpful in my pre-purchase research), but still doesn’t address my question about expectations to compare against good riflescope glass.

Comparison against other spotting scopes doesn’t offer me much to “calibrate” myself on, since I don’t have experience with decent spotting scopes (only crappy range-rental units). It would of course be much easier if I knew someone with a Mk4 or older Razor spotter to view side by side.
I had a Tasco for years and can say my bushy T is substantially better
One of my friends has a MK4 and it’s definitely sharper than my bushy T
One of my best friends has a Kowa 883 and it annihilates the tasco, my bushy and the MK4 easily.

When you get to the Swaro, Kowa and henny levels crisp and clarity come to mind.

Going from the tasco to a MK4 to me is comparable to when I went from HS-T/Gen 1 pst glass to a Cronus or Razor G2.
I’d say the Henny and S&B rifle scopes are in that similar glass experience as the upper level spotters but obviously not at the same level.

Even though the glass on my Cronus is better than my bushy picks up hits at distance better

Fanboy here....

IMO, a "FFP spotter" in this price range is difficult for Optics Co's to make much better. In other words you'd just have to spend the big bucks to distance yourself from the various optical compromises involved in making this scope for the $ involved.

I personally would rather have a standard spotter with a separate eyepiece like the Ares 15-45x65 with the 24x eyepiece. That is unless I could afford the Hensoldt Spotter 45, wink. The glass this Ares had when I peered through them at ShotShow seemed very good!

I agree 100%. In this price range you're making a compromise somewhere in order to have a reticle in FFP. Same thing with putting a 24x eyepiece with a reticle on an optically better spotter though, as (at least in my use case) being stuck at 24x is less than ideal. Like with everything, the clearer idea a guy has of his use case(s) and priorities, the easier the decision is to make. Of course, the best option is always to have enough coin for the Swaro or Henny ;)

From the mouth of the Dark Lord of Optics Cronus 7-42x60 review

I've received mine last week and waiting for few mounts for the tripod to play with it. At first I was disappointed in made in China as my rifle scope Cronus is made in Japan, but for under $800 shipped it looks like a good buy with available features. It resembles a rifle scope more than it does a spotter and I like the 7x on the low end. The reticle seems nice, its fairly lightweight and it comes with neoprene cover and sunshade.

Last edited:
I agree 100%. In this price range you're making a compromise somewhere in order to have a reticle in FFP. Same thing with putting a 24x eyepiece with a reticle on an optically better spotter though, as (at least in my use case) being stuck at 24x is less than ideal. Like with everything, the clearer idea a guy has of his use case(s) and priorities, the easier the decision is to make. Of course, the best option is always to have enough coin for the Swaro or Henny ;)

This compromise is a good way to frame it. For me, I wanted a mil reticle for calling partner’s shots and in “less than a used car” pricing territory it meant Bushnell T at a lower price point or Leup Mk4 at higher. I split the difference and went with the Athlon.

Good way to put it, that I could have had slightly better glass at this price point. Or a reticle, but not both.

Reactions: dgheriani