• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Midas Glass Quality Equivalents?

Theres been QC issues specific to the Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 and Midas TAC 5-25x56 34mm. I personally skipped over the ETR and got a Cronus BTR instead fir just a little extra cash for Japan made instead of Chinese. I think it's insane to buy an Ares ETR especially for the price even for $900 on sale it's still Chinese. I really think the absolute max anyone should pay for any Chinese made scope is $500 or maybe $600 MAXIMUM since the scope probably cost only $100 or less to manufacture in China.

I try to avoid made in China whenever possible or not spend more than $500.

You're pretty accurate on the $100 cost of manufacturing based on people in the industry who told me that $125 is the cost to build and get them into the US.

Reactions: Scopeye
You're pretty accurate on the $100 cost of manufacturing based on people in the industry who told me that $125 is the cost to build and get them into the US.
I too made inquiries about the actual cost to manufacture and ship scopes to the US. The really cheap ones like the Chinese made Vortex and Swampfox and Arkens are less than $100. The really low end crappy ones like the Ritons and Monstrum Tactical are closer to $50 or less and off brands as cheap as $20. Vortex and Riton and Bushnell are really making a killing in sheer profits.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarshallDodge
K heres a question. What is the better value, Tract Toric 2.5-15x44 or the Helos 4-20. In my lame country I can get the tract for $1200 and the helos for 840. Will be used for hunting and targets out to 800-1000m.

What you think?

No experience with either but the Tract has a smaller objective- which I like on a hunting setup, and ED glass.

The Helos has a better reticle for wind holds. I'm not sure how the glass compares..

My 6-24 helos gen2 has better eyebox, eye relief, better parallax sensitivity(less sensitive) and better glass than my Arken ep5, ep4 and sh4 . It is definitely a step up in quality over them.

Last edited:
I too made inquiries about the actual cost to manufacture and ship scopes to the US. The really cheap ones like the Chinese made Vortex and Swampfox and Arkens are less than $100. The really low end crappy ones like the Ritons and Monstrum Tactical are closer to $50 or less and off brands as cheap as $20. Vortex and Riton and Bushnell are really making a killing in sheer profits.
This was a point I used to make when prostaffing an event for Leupold. People would say scope X is just as good because the warranty is as good as Leupold. With those kind of profits you can trash a bunch of returns and still be profitable. I would rather have a warranty on a good scope and not need it. look at the defect rate on those as good as scopes.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbliz and Scopeye
K heres a question. What is the better value, Tract Toric 2.5-15x44 or the Helos 4-20. In my lame country I can get the tract for $1200 and the helos for 840. Will be used for hunting and targets out to 800-1000m.

What you think?
Japan Vs China
The only downside to the tract is no illumination, so it depends on your hunting situation

What you think?
Buy the much lighter weight Japan made Tract Tekoa 4-16x44 SFP with 1 inch tube with the tall turret zero stop kit and sunshade, it's a much better value and a featherweight compared to the 2.5-15x 30mm FFP Toric. The much cheaper Tekoa also uses Schott glass. Tract has a ballistic app for their SFP scopes too.

If you were wanting to go Chinese with the Athlon Helos, it doesn't have HD glass and won't even come close to the clarity compared to any Japan Tract Toric or Tekoa with their Schott glass in image quality. You're better off limiting Athlon's non HD glass to their Helos 2-12x42 model instead.

I'd actually recommend the Athlon Midas Tac 4-16x44 FFP instead of you don't need illumination also made in China but it's fantastic probably the best 4-16x44 Chinese made scope that money can buy regardless of it's relatively cheaper price compared to the Tract Toric, it's clearer than the 4-20x50 Tract Toric according to my own eyes and in fact I parted with both of my 4-20x50 Tract Torics after comparing then to the Midas Tac and Ares BTR 4.5-27x50. It's actually the closest thing to buying a good quality Japan made scope in optical clarity and reliability.

The Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 also made in China is one level better than the Midas Tac and would highly recommend if you need FFP and illumination.

There are obvious Athlon haters on this forum whether it's the brand itself or because they're mostly Chinese made but I truly believe they are the best optics when it comes to Chinese made scopes and spotters and binoculars especially when compared to Arken EP5 and EPL4 series in sheer stunning image quality on high magnification and better turrets and overall superior reliability plus hassle free lifetime warranty unlike Bushnell's who may even deny warranty claims and aren't real lifetime warranty especially their illuminated reticles in their scopes only have a one year warranty while Athlon is a bumper to bumper type lifetime warranty just like Vortex and Burris and Maven and Tract Optics even on their electronics. I only recommend buying Athlon optics which have a minimum of HD glass and above and ED and UHD if your budget permits. Midas Tac and Ares BTR Gen 2 are the minimum I'd personally recommend if you want superb image quality and perfect reliable turrets.

Reactions: Jaydee1445
I had a Midas Tac and I like it. No complaints. Glass was good, very little CA, no tunneling, turret were OK no slop. I now have the Cronus which was a BIG jump up in quality. I got the Midas on sale from Camera Land for $525 and for that price you can not go wrong. It is better than the lower end Arkens.

Personally I would save a few extra bucks and try to get something w Japanese glass.

Funny you say that. I just ordered a tract toric 2.5-15x44. Found one for just 50% more than a helos. I'm excited for it.

Thanks for your help