• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon reticle; ares etr vs. Cronus btr

UPSTATERAM

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2018
Hey guys,

So you prefer the reticle with the + or the small center dot? This is going on my stealth evolution and want to get it in MILS. Is it worth it for the extra cost to get the Japanese made scope? Seems everyone has given strong feedback on the ares Etr overall.

I’m not close to any dealer and am in NY and am familiar with cameraland but that’s far for me so I can’t see them in person. Besides where they’re made is it worth the extra $400?

With the reticle my main concern is shooting out to 1000 yards and eventually a mile and also shooting for groups. I don’t compete at this time just shoot for fun and this gun will hunt deer in apple orchards and predators is farm fields.

Trying to decide between the two and have my mind made up to the athlon and like their reticle setup a lot. Etr can be bad for $1050 and Cronus btr for about $1500 so trying to figure out which is a better fit.

Thanks!

Reactions: TreyMeTrey
As Frank would say, what’s your favorite color?

I have the Cronus BTR on my rifle for the mile challenge but I kinda like the + crosshairs.

On another note I thought the Cronus got a dot for their BTR also so you have both choices in mil.

As Frank would say, what’s your favorite color?

I have the Cronus BTR on my rifle for the mile challenge but I kinda like the + crosshairs.

On another note I thought the Cronus got a dot for their BTR also so you have both choices in mil.

The Cronus is available for pre order with the floating dot. Rumors of a late January release but I wouldn't hold my breath. Debating whether or not I want to put in an order now or wait.

I have both and while the etr is a great scope especially for the price the Cronus is just a nicer scope in almost every way it just feels higher quality i would buy another Cronus if I was in the market That said the ares will do everything the Cronus will do for you functionally I am a target shooter though so the lighter weight and locking windage may be a larger consideration for a hunter

I have both and while the etr is a great scope especially for the price the Cronus is just a nicer scope in almost every way it just feels higher quality i would buy another Cronus if I was in the market That said the ares will do everything the Cronus will do for you functionally I am a target shooter though so the lighter weight and locking windage may be a larger consideration for a hunter

How do the turrets compare between the two and is it just the audible clear noise being the main difference? The Cronus can still be heard loud enough?

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’m debating on waiting on the new center dot Cronus or scooping one of the btr Cronus with the + reticle.

Is it all preference or is one better for overall grouping and long range shooting?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’m debating on waiting on the new center dot Cronus or scooping one of the btr Cronus with the + reticle.

Is it all preference or is one better for overall grouping and long range shooting?

It's preference like most things once you break in to the upper end of scopes. I have a Cronus with the + and like the reticle a lot. In my opinion the Cronus is really tough to beat. I'll add one with the dot to the stable when they're available as well.

I have never had any complaints with the + crosshair it is very fine even on targets at 1000yds I’m still getting familiar with the floating dot if anything the dot has been hard to pick up on the clock for me personally
As to turrets honestly the Cronus turrets are almost Silent which is something I thought I would hate but that’s one of the things I was talking about in the “quality feel” the ares turrets are far more clicky and defined but I can honestly say I’m more likely to miss my mark with the ares turrets than the cronus I like them both in there own way but I wouldn’t say there is anything wrong with the Cronus turrets overall as some will say

It's preference like most things once you break in to the upper end of scopes. I have a Cronus with the + and like the reticle a lot. In my opinion the Cronus is really tough to beat. I'll add one with the dot to the stable when they're available as well.
Well if you grab once first I would love to hear your feedback on which style you prefer.

I was hoping cabelas will have a blowout on + reticle but we’ll see.

Thanks Anderson A, without a time rush so you find yourseld shooting better groups with one over the other?

the Cornus BTR was listed on here thru a vendor a while back in the mil for $1310. I"ve had a dealer offer me the ETR for as little as $950. I purchased the BTR and like it

Athlon is saying late January for the Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56 - APRS1 FFP IR MIL and I would like to think that they are correct, however, having been in this industry a few 24's I will say that nothing is here until it arrives and passes QC.

We are accepting pre-orders, which will ship out in the order of when they are placed. We have a large order in place with Athlon and will be able to fill pre-orders as soon as Athlon receives these.

Please feel free to hope for January but don't expect it.

I recently picked up both the Cronus BTR with the cross reticle and Eres ETR with the floating dot. I have only had one range session with each but my initial impression is I like the regular cross hairs better than the floating dot. I found the dot tougher to pick up. I was shooting around 10x at 100m so maybe it will be easier on higher magnification. It is certainly a very fine aiming point.

I recently picked up both the Cronus BTR with the cross reticle and Eres ETR with the floating dot. I have only had one range session with each but my initial impression is I like the regular cross hairs better than the floating dot. I found the dot tougher to pick up. I was shooting around 10x at 100m so maybe it will be easier on higher magnification. It is certainly a very fine aiming point.
That’s awesome you have both. Would love to hear more feedback when you have more range time behind them both. Which you prefer and how the dot looks at different distances etc!

the Cornus BTR was listed on here thru a vendor a while back in the mil for $1310. I"ve had a dealer offer me the ETR for as little as $950. I purchased the BTR and like it
That’s awesome.. I’ll wait to hopefully be contacted. Did the dealer just see you posting and interested? Only way to see if something gets posted for sale is search for in every so often? Just had identical twins so money is tight so I’m holding out on getting a a really good deal on one of these and leaning to the Cronus.

I focus more on the windage hash lines than what is on the center of the reticle. How often are you shooting at distance and not holding wind? I guess for the guys that always dial wind, the center dot would be great.

I've got pre-BTR & BTR Cronus, Ares BTR & ETR, and Midas TAC. As much as I like the ETR & TAC, the floating dot is just too darned tiny to be of much use unless you've got the magnification cranked up to 24x. I like the thicker + aiming point that the Ares BTR & pre-BTR Cronus scopes have better than the finer + of the Cronus BTR. Have never seen a situation where even the thicker + aiming point obscured the target, and I also prefer the thicker + when shooting movers. I put an Ares ETR on one of my custom barreled 40XB 22RF repeaters for a week or two, and eventually went back to the pre-BTR Cronus on that rifle. Not knocking either the Ares ETR or Midas TAC - they're both great values & good scopes. I just don't like the .03 mil dot; would prefer a .05 mil dot.

Reactions: steve123
I focus more on the windage hash lines than what is on the center of the reticle. How often are you shooting at distance and not holding wind? I guess for the guys that always dial wind, the center dot would be great.
I’ve shot my entire life but this is my first real long range setup. I have access to a range with 1000 yard targets and a mile shot. I plan to use the hash marks for hold but dial and try both out.

Sorry being a newb here. What’s PX?

Post exchange on here is the for sale section does not require any special i.d but is full of well taken care of optics and all kinds of other stuff. you can’t sell as a new member here but you can buy used items if the seller is willing, some people will be hesitant to sell to you as a new member but I was able to get some good deals on all kinds of stuff with a little patience and save a few bucks to put towards practice ammo.

Reactions: UPSTATERAM
Post exchange on here is the for sale section does not require any special i.d but is full of well taken care of optics and all kinds of other stuff. you can’t sell as a new member here but you can buy used items if the seller is willing, some people will be hesitant to sell to you as a new member but I was able to get some good deals on all kinds of stuff with a little patience and save a few bucks to put towards practice ammo.

That’s helpful thank you. How long until the new member status is lifted? I’ll have to check it out there.

Well since you have had both scopes a while how do they compare.And if you could just have one which one would it be and why? Thanks

Well since you have had both scopes a while how do they compare.And if you could just have one which one would it be and why? Thanks

I did have to keep just one and the etr stayed and Cronus went but I had the older reticle in my Cronus if it were the floating dot reticle it would have stayed and etr would have gone it really is that close the Cronus is worth the price difference imo but the etr is such a good value both have tracked and been dead nuts reliable for my uses. The one thing that does set them apart for me is the ares parallax requires less adjustment which I find very desirable when I shoot a centerfield stage with the ares it’s pretty much set at 400ish yards and stays there the Cronus does require some adjustment at either end for best results when shooting 200-1100 yards

Give Doug @gr8fuldoug at cameraland a call maybe he would have some more to add he sees a lot more of these two than I do and he takes good care of the members here I got all mine from them

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
Thank.I appreciate the reply..I will give it much consideration.I have some high end scopes.But i dont like moving them from one gun to another and Im always buying one more gun so I tell my wife..Just one more..HAHA I do think Id like the Cronus even though its a bit more.I have a couple SWFA scopes .One is a 3-15x42 and the other is 5-25x42. Other than my Leupold 6.5-20x40 that came on my Browning 7mm Mag the SWFA were the best scopes Ive ewver bought until lately.Ive really gotten interested in shooting long distance and just getting better equipped for it a little at a time so I dont buy stuff I dont really need.
I really do want to thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.Thanks.

I've got pre-BTR & BTR Cronus, Ares BTR & ETR, and Midas TAC. As much as I like the ETR & TAC, the floating dot is just too darned tiny to be of much use unless you've got the magnification cranked up to 24x. I like the thicker + aiming point that the Ares BTR & pre-BTR Cronus scopes have better than the finer + of the Cronus BTR. Have never seen a situation where even the thicker + aiming point obscured the target, and I also prefer the thicker + when shooting movers. I put an Ares ETR on one of my custom barreled 40XB 22RF repeaters for a week or two, and eventually went back to the pre-BTR Cronus on that rifle. Not knocking either the Ares ETR or Midas TAC - they're both great values & good scopes. I just don't like the .03 mil dot; would prefer a .05 mil dot.

I am on board with that. I am not crazy about ultra fine reticles that seem to have become fairly common.

ILya