• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Athlon Scopes

The delivery date for the Ares has been pushed back for a couple reasons. Initially it was because after receiving the demos there were some changes they wanted to make. That then I'm sure put the manufacturing facility behind and so on. They are in route though.

Also so for anyone considering the Cronus, they are all $200 off for the entire month of may. Any questions or interested let me know.

Want to give you latest updates on Ares BTR. We got some great feedbacks on how the Ares scopes track and overall optics performance. There are also some ideas for minor change from those who are testing the initial round demos . Initially we thought maybe we just do a running change, but give a second thought that it is better get it right at the beginning although that means another month delay. So now we are expecting to have 2.5-15 ready for shipping by end of May, and 4.5-27 by July 10th. We know expectation is high and you are waiting for long time...appreciate your patience!!!

Want to give you latest updates on Ares BTR. We got some great feedbacks on how the Ares scopes track and overall optics performance. There are also some ideas for minor change from those who are testing the initial round demos . Initially we thought maybe we just do a running change, but give a second thought that it is better get it right at the beginning although that means another month delay. So now we are expecting to have 2.5-15 ready for shipping by end of May, and 4.5-27 by July 10th. We know expectation is high and you are waiting for long time...appreciate your patience!!!

I like it. Really shows a company's integrity when they choose to miss a delivery date and get it right, rather than just pushing scopes through. It's hard waiting a little longer to see the optic, but good on you Athlon!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

^ Yup, at least they are honest! Way better than stringing us along with false rumors. We certainly don't mind waiting if it's to help perfect the product before release!

I will have waited half a year by the time I get my 4.5-27, but I am so happy you are delaying shipment until you get it right. I plan on using this scope for many years so what is a few months wait to get a good one. Thanks Athlon, you rock!

Got my Cronus BTR from a member here(Thanks!). Looks good so far, really wish they would add some heft on the turrets as that would be my main gripe. I like my xtr II turrets a lot better. Hoping to get it out to the range soon and see how I like it compared to my XTR II(i'm one of the few who doesn't mind the glass on the XTR), on the fence on which I'll keep.

But, the glass looks as promised so far, but I'm not a huge glass snob... so it's usually not a huge priority for me.

I'll update my thoughts when I get to the range. Going to compare it to my XTR II and NXS F1.

If you are talking about the knobs being mushy there are a few YouTube videos to fix it.

If you are talking about the knobs being mushy there are a few YouTube videos to fix it.
Those videos were referring to the firts batches of Athlon Cronus but that problem was fixed before the new Cronus BTR.

Those videos were referring to the firts batches of Athlon Cronus but that problem was fixed before the new Cronus BTR.

Yep, they are not mushy. Just want them to have a slightly stiffer/stronger detent, little to easy to turn imo.

Yep, they are not mushy. Just want them to have a slightly stiffer/stronger detent, little to easy to turn imo.

Hopefully they can get the turrets up to par with the other scopes in that price range. They also need to ensure items aren't shipped with obvious dings from dropping them before packaging and shipping to the customer.

Your making a bit of a stretch there with both the Athlon's being as good as the Vortex's. There a reason there is a price difference. The Cronus could compete with a Gen 1 Razor, toe to toe? Not the gen2. The gen 2 PST will be almost as good as gen1 razor minus the glass and will be on the heels of the cronus. I'm all for value and best bang for the buck!! Vortex has the edge with the reticle as well, the ERB-2C is better than Athlon's christmas tree reticle in MOA, IMHO. How do I know, because I've owned them, except for the PST gen 2 which i will shortly.

No, the Cronus is much better than the Gen 1 Razor (which I have owned and considered a pretty solid optic). I own a Gen2 and a Cronus currenty, and the Cronus is very much on the heels of the Gen 2 Razor.

The Gen 2 PST isn't anywhere near the Cronus.

Anyone know if there is a zero stop fix for the Talos BTR? My google fu didnt produce results for that model. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Anyone know if there is a zero stop fix for the Talos BTR? My google fu didnt produce results for that model. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

There is and I happen to offer it too. Shoot me a message and I can get you set up with a kit, $10 plus shipping.

See what the grease looks like on the inside of the turret caps and the o-ring. I found some tacky grease in my Cronus, non BTR. Cleaned it up and replaced with other grease and now the clicks are better.

See what the grease looks like on the inside of the turret caps and the o-ring. I found some tacky grease in my Cronus, non BTR. Cleaned it up and replaced with other grease and now the clicks are better.

I used the Associated Green Slime. Worked great.

No, the Cronus is much better than the Gen 1 Razor (which I have owned and considered a pretty solid optic). I own a Gen2 and a Cronus currenty, and the Cronus is very much on the heels of the Gen 2 Razor.

The Gen 2 PST isn't anywhere near the Cronus.

I don't like hearing that it isn't like the gen2 pst?

Just reporting that I had the opportunity to shoot a rifle with a Athlon Helos 6-24x50 mounted on it yesterday. It could be from the small shipment that came in for the Shot Show but I'm not sure??? The owner of it said he called around and found one, the mil version, which he said was not an easy feat. It's rumored that the Helos has the same glass as the Argos, and it might be, but nevertheless I found the glass significantly more crisp than my Argos 6-24 which was present and what I used during our match for the next four hours. The clicks were very good on the Helos and worth noting were significantly superior feeling than that of my Argos. The turrets marks lined up nearly perfectly and were distinct with a good audible click. The Helos has 6 mils per rev vs 5 mils for the Argos which can be handy at times, an example being my 6x47l which takes 5.9 mils to 1000Y so I'd still be in the first revolution. Let's see, what could I make a comparison too? I suppose I'd rate the turrets similar to the SWFA's in feel, maybe a little better but with a louder click sound. Lastly, the pull up locking turrets would push up (I liked pushing up from bottom rather than pulling up) with what I'd say is the right amount of resistance and down without hanging up. I had no complaints at all with the scope honestly which I cannot say with the Argos turrets feel and how they line up. I really want a Helos, whereas before I was thinking I didn't really need the locking turrets so why pay more??? Actually knowing what I do now I'd pay the extra $200 over the Argos to get a Helos because you get an extra mil per rev, much improved locking turrets and maybe better glass!

While we're on the subject I sure would like to see a more compact 4-16 version for hunting, locking turrets take the worry out of the equation when you're out walking about!

The 6-24x50 Helos is $569.99 MAP. That's a lot of scope for the money.

You guys that have a Helos on pre order will be quite pleased I think.

As a side note I am now considering keeping with the Talos 4-14's as my cheap do all scope and selling my Argos 6-24's to upgrade to either the Helos 6-24's and/or Ares series scopes.

Last edited:
I also got to shoot long range last weekend with my new Helos. I ran it side by side with a Gen 1 PST for comparison. I like the Helos in every way over the PST. The only thing the Helos is missing is the zero stop but that has never bothered me. I ran it all the way to 1K with no issues. I have the MOA version (yes I'm old) and I was at 28 minutes at 1K with my .260. The Helos has 15 minutes per revolution so I was only 1.7 turns which is no biggie.

I like the Helos and the Argos. I have the Argos. I wish they would come out with the Helos in a 3-15 or something with a lower magnification for a wider field of view.

Well, as a self-confessed impatient prick, the July 10th target is extremely disappointing.

Just reporting that I had the opportunity to shoot a rifle with a Athlon Helos 6-24x50 mounted on it yesterday. It could be from the small shipment that came in for the Shot Show but I'm not sure??? The owner of it said he called around and found one, the mil version, which he said was not an easy feat. It's rumored that the Helos has the same glass as the Argos, and it might be, but nevertheless I found the glass significantly more crisp than my Argos 6-24 which was present and what I used during our match for the next four hours. The clicks were very good on the Helos and worth noting were significantly superior feeling than that of my Argos. The turrets marks lined up nearly perfectly and were distinct with a good audible click. The Helos has 6 mils per rev vs 5 mils for the Argos which can be handy at times, an example being my 6x47l which takes 5.9 mils to 1000Y so I'd still be in the first revolution. Let's see, what could I make a comparison too? I suppose I'd rate the turrets similar to the SWFA's in feel, maybe a little better but with a louder click sound. Lastly, the pull up locking turrets would push up with what I'd say is the right amount of resistance and down without hanging up. I had no complaints at all with the scope honestly which I cannot say with the Argos turrets feel and how they line up. I really want a Helos, whereas before I was thinking I didn't really need the locking turrets so why pay more??? Actually knowing what I do now I'd pay the extra $200 over the Argos to get a Helos because you get an extra mil per rev, much improved locking turrets and maybe better glass!

While we're on the subject I sure would like to see a more compact 4-16 version for hunting, locking turrets take the worry out of the equation when you're out walking about!

The 6-24x50 Helos is $569.99 MAP. That's a lot of scope for the money.

You guys that have a Helos on pre order will be quite pleased I think.

As a side note I am now considering keeping with the Talos 4-14's as my cheap do all scope and selling my Argos 6-24's to upgrade to either the Helos 6-24's and/or Ares series scopes.

I just got the helos btr myself. I haven't had the chance to go to the range with it yet but I am loving the quality of this scope for the price.

Reactions: Hank McMauser
I have a couple Helos BTR 6-24x50 in stock currently, have 1 MOA and 1MIL. Shoot me a message if anyone is interested in getting one.

I know we are still waiting for the official shipments to begin, but has anyone been able to do a side-by-side on Ares vs PST Gen II yet?

I thought I'd weigh in with some observations about the Helos BTR 8-34x56.
First, background; I had a Cronus 4.5-29x56 mil which I sold to a friend. Great glass, good reticle, great illumination, decent turrets. good tracking, font on elevation and windage knobs too damn small for my 52 yr old farsighted eyes (unnecessarily so, since there's plenty of room on the knobs for larger numbers).
Still have a Talos 4-16, good glass for the money, reticle subtends at 11x not the 10x Athlon specified. It was on my Savage Mk II .22 LR until a Schmidtty took up temporary residence. It will likely be back on the Savage soon.
I recently bought a Helos BTR 8-34x56 mil scope. I am definitely wary about spending $600 on a scope made in China, but I tried not to let that color my impression.
I did not get enough time with the non-HD glass to evaluate it.
The build quality of the scope is very impressive, reminded me of Japanese LOW factory build quality like Bushnell Elite Tacticals.
Beautiful machining and anodizing on the scope body and elevation/windage knobs. High precision stainless steel screws retaining said knobs.
The turret detents are good, better than the aforementioned Bushnell ET6245G (FFP 6-24x50 w/G2DMR reticle).
The controls are very smooth, just the right tension on the side focus and mag ring.
The etching on the reticle was just beautiful, too... super impressive for a scope made in China.
Since ring marks would prevent me from being able to return it, I did not mount it and couldn't evaluate the glass.

I bought the scope for my nephew then found out he already got one, but I was unable to stop the shipment, so I figured it at least merited a look.
That said, I couldn't justify keeping the scope for $600 with non HD glass and no zero stop since I had no current use for it.

Closing thought, if this is their 3rd tier of China sourced scopes, the Ares and Midas must be very impressive indeed.

Last edited:
Closing thought, if this is their 3rd tier of China sourced scopes, the Ares and Midas must be very impressive indeed.

Indeed! After growing weary waiting for the Ares BTRs to make it stateside I broke down and purchased a Midas BTR 2.5-15 for my .22 gas-ram air rifle (too many varmints needed dispatching to wait any longer ;)). I must say I'm really impressed with both the build quality and optical quality thus far; both are much better than I expected. I'm really loving the APLR1 reticle, and the illumination is really well executed. Makes me wonder why manufacturers of scopes costing 1.5 to 2 times the price of the Midas can't do a better job with their illumination.
The real test, mechanically, will be to see how it holds up on the gas-ram. For those who don't know, a gas-ram air rifle is even tougher on a scope than a magnum steel springer. They don't vibrate like steel springs, but the jolt when they fire is quick, sharp, and they tend to be very tough on scopes. Should be a really good test for the Midas.

Last edited:
Indeed! After growing weary waiting for the Ares BTRs to make it stateside I broke down and purchased a Midas BTR 2.5-15 for my .22 gas-ram air rifle (too many varmints needed dispatching to wait any longer ;)). I must say I'm really impressed with both the build quality and optical quality thus far; both are much better than I expected. I'm really loving the APLR1 reticle, and the illumination is really well executed. Makes me wonder why manufacturers of scopes costing 1.5 to 2 times the price of the Midas can't do a better job with their illumination.
The real test, mechanically, will be to see how it holds up on the gas-ram. For those who don't know, a gas-ram air rifle is even tougher on a scope than a magnum steel springer. They don't vibrate like steel springs, but the jolt when they fire is quick, sharp, and they tend to be very tough on scopes. Should be a really good test for the Midas.

I have an RWS Diana 48 .22 cal springer. I've been reluctant to replace the air-rifle specific scope it came with because spring piston air rifles, with their reverse recoil, are notorious for breaking scopes that would survive on a 333LM. The 48 is a helluva air rifle, I must say. I loaned it to a buddy years back for pest control and it stopped many a rabbit intent on consuming his veggie garden. I had to ask a few times to get it back... I think he liked it.

Turns out I will be evaluating the glass of the Helos scope, as when I went to confirm the return of the scope via email, they offered me a generous discount. Arm twisted, message received.

It's true, I have no willpower when it comes to this stuff...

I'll report back with my findings.

I have an RWS Diana 48 .22 cal springer. I've been reluctant to replace the air-rifle specific scope it came with because spring piston air rifles, with their reverse recoil, are notorious for breaking scopes that would survive on a 333LM. The 48 is a helluva air rifle, I must say. I loaned it to a buddy years back for pest control and it stopped many a rabbit intent on consuming his veggie garden. I had to ask a few times to get it back... I think he liked it.

Turns out I will be evaluating the glass of the Helos scope, as when I went to confirm the return of the scope via email, they offered me a generous discount. Arm twisted, message received.

It's true, I have no willpower when it comes to this stuff...

I'll report back with my findings.

My Midas is mounted on a Weihrauch HW 90. I too was reluctant to try a non-air rifle specific scope on this rifle until I posed the question on the Athlon thread on the Scout site. Someone from Athlon (Frostyline, I believe) said to give it a go, they'd stand by it if need-be. Here's hoping I won't need to take them up on that!

I had a Talos BTR 4-14x44 on a Air Arms TX200 for about 200 shots and the rifles spring broke instead of the scope, lol. I rebuilt it and just sold it a few weeks ago but the scope has been on 4 different rifles and still going strong.

I took a look through the Helos and it actually has enough resolution to pull off 34x. Pretty impressive for non-HD glass. it's giving up some brightness, though. I rarely use more than 20x anyway.
Range trip tomorrow is likely, can compare it side by side with some alpha scopes.

While we wait for the Ares to ship..... Where does the Helos stack up in the glass category? Better than the Argos but worse than the Ares? Has anyone compared the Helos to other options in the same price range (Vortex, SWFA, etc)? I had my eye on a Helos and an Ares, then decided to wait on the Ares. Now I'm curious.

While we wait for the Ares to ship..... Where does the Helos stack up in the glass category? Better than the Argos but worse than the Ares? Has anyone compared the Helos to other options in the same price range (Vortex, SWFA, etc)? I had my eye on a Helos and an Ares, then decided to wait on the Ares. Now I'm curious.

The Helos and Argos actually share the same glass but with the upgrades it seems to perform a little better. Seems a touch brighter and clearer, the 8-34 is almost so able but still not good enough for me to recommend them so I stick with recommending the 6-24(has more internal travel than the 8-34 too). Honestly I put the glass a touch above the SWFA SS and the Viper PST, almost up there with the S3.

If I can be of any assistance feel free to pm me, I'll be happy to help.

Last edited:
not much talk on here about the Midas BTR 4.5-27X50..

i put this on my Tikka in 223, and have only had 4-5 range sessions. i've already installed the replacement set of replacement knobs those helped. but i just can't get used to this glaaass. I HAVE to take my glasses off to be able to see through the scope(my vision is not very bad). I have never had to do that previously with ANY scope before. on high power i am unable to see anything through the scope. just looking for others opinions with that particular scope. so far i've read one maybe two responses and it has been similar..

not much talk on here about the Midas BTR 4.5-27X50..

...I HAVE to take my glasses off to be able to see through the scope(my vision is not very bad). I have never had to do that previously with ANY scope before. on high power i am unable to see anything through the scope.....

Cruze, could your issue be a mounting problem with scope alignment on your rifle that does not allow you to get directly behind the scope?

I ask only because you state you are unable to see anything on high power. Not being able to see an image at all at max mag, where eye position behind the scope is most critical, is a strong indicator that the scope's mounting position is not in the right place. Could your scope be mounted too low on your rifle?

Mounting scope too low low could also cause interference issues with glasses as you would be forced too look through the top of them.

Just trying to help... My apologies if I took your comments too literally.

I would like to know where the Ares is made? I know the Cronus us made in Japan and the rest of the Athlon riflescopes are made in China.

Cruze, could your issue be a mounting problem with scope alignment on your rifle that does not allow you to get directly behind the scope?

I ask only because you state you are unable to see anything on high power. Not being able to see an image at all at max mag, where eye position behind the scope is most critical, is a strong indicator that the scope's mounting position is not in the right place. Could your scope be mounted too low on your rifle?

Mounting scope too low low could also cause interference issues with glasses as you would be forced too look through the top of them.

Just trying to help... My apologies if I took your comments too literally.

Or the windage and/or elevation are close to the extreme limits. Scope could be mounted to close or to far from the eye. Diopter and parallax not adjusted properly. Combination of all or some. If all these boxes are checked then send it back. No image at all on max mag sounds odd???

I would confirm the mounting position of the Midas BTR both for height and proper eye relief. After that is good make sure the parallax is adjusted properly. If all that fails then there is most likely an issue as the Midas has excellent glass and is very clear and crisp. If there is an issue Athlon will get you taken care of, shoot me a pm if you need their contact info.

As for the Ares, it is manufactured in China like the Midas and others below that. With their reputation I have no doubts it will be a game changer and as always have exceptional glass.

I just put the same scope on an N-TEC 340. Less than a hundred rounds through it so no test yet but we'll see how it holds up.

I am thinking of shooting some PRS Production Division this year, and realized that my Athlon Cronus is just above the maximum scope price - its limited to scopes with an MSRP of $2000, while the Athlon has an MSRP of $2099. I got mine for $1700, and street prices look like they are $1600 now. Has anybody at Athlon thought of just dropping the Cronus price to $1999? It would be the immediate first choice scope for anybody shooting Production Division at that price point.

I am thinking of shooting some PRS Production Division this year, and realized that my Athlon Cronus is just above the maximum scope price - its limited to scopes with an MSRP of $2000, while the Athlon has an MSRP of $2099. I got mine for $1700, and street prices look like they are $1600 now. Has anybody at Athlon thought of just dropping the Cronus price to $1999? It would be the immediate first choice scope for anybody shooting Production Division at that price point.

I've mentioned this more than once to them! I think if enough people called and strongly suggested this idea something might happen.

Question:

what is the difference in the glass on the Ares and Midas?

I am am looking to get a 4.5-27 as a scope that can go on my 17hmr or 308 and punch paper and hunt with.

I like the magnification range and have FFP scopes and SFP scopes so I am used to both but is there anything really better on the Ares besides that?

I am looking at the Athlon Website and any literature I can find, and it is quite confusing, and hard to tell the real difference in features, quality, glass, etc. between the product lines. If someone has a cheat-sheet, love to see it. In other words, aside from price, why would I choose a Ares or a Cronos of whatever else? And the cronos -- why only one magnification?

That said, which vendors are offering the best prices? Optics Planet and eBay vendors all have the same prices on the Ares line. I know we have some Hide vendors, the one I saw was the same. Any good discounts? I am seeing street prices of the Ares 15x at $800, and there are Hide vendors who have a lower PST-II price on their mid-magnification scope, so that would put Ares higher. Just saying...

I've seen deals on dvor.com for Athlon scopes a couple of times. Usually a little better than opticsplanet pricing when it happens.

I am looking at the Athlon Website and any literature I can find, and it is quite confusing, and hard to tell the real difference in features, quality, glass, etc. between the product lines. If someone has a cheat-sheet, love to see it. In other words, aside from price, why would I choose a Ares or a Cronos of whatever else? And the cronos -- why only one magnification?

That said, which vendors are offering the best prices? Optics Planet and eBay vendors all have the same prices on the Ares line. I know we have some Hide vendors, the one I saw was the same. Any good discounts? I am seeing street prices of the Ares 15x at $800, and there are Hide vendors who have a lower PST-II price on their mid-magnification scope, so that would put Ares higher. Just saying...

Shoot me a message sir. While my prices are on par with others as we all are priced at MAP, I offer some extras with certain purchases, package deals, and excellent customer service.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
Question:

what is the difference in the glass on the Ares and Midas?

I am am looking to get a 4.5-27 as a scope that can go on my 17hmr or 308 and punch paper and hunt with.

I like the magnification range and have FFP scopes and SFP scopes so I am used to both but is there anything really better on the Ares besides that?

There is no difference in glass between the Ares and Midas. The main differences are that the Ares is FFP, more internal travel, mechanical zero stop, slightly larger and more audible turrets, and different reticles(christmas tree style in both MOA and MIL).

The Midas is SFP, less internal travel, no mechanical zero stop, slimmer lower profile turrets, and more traditional MOA and MIL reticles available.

It seems they pattern their products along the Vortex theme. The higher end products have HD glass, which will get top billing in the "Features" tab.

Cronus BTR = AMG similar in that they each have only 1 power configuration
Ares BTR = PST Gen 2 not made in top facility, HD glass, great features for the price

Both Vortex and Athlon appear to list the rest of their products from higher end to budget friendly in order.

If you are Mil/LEO, Athlon will send you a form to fill out. Approval was quick and they send you a price list....I think it's MAP minus 10%. Vortex's pricing is something like full retail minus 40%. MAP is not equal to Full Retail so discounts are probably similar.

If not Mil/LEO....send AthlonOpticsGuy a PM......he's got great prices and package deals too.

So far I like what I see when comparing my AMG to my Cronus BTR.