• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas Bipod - shouldn't it flex?

Temp9

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2012
SLC, UT
I'm not sure what the best way to word this is, but here goes....

I just bought an Atlas V8.1 from Triad Tactical (thanks for the quick shipping!). However, I was under the impression that the legs had some amount of flex to them to help when loading. Mine has a small amount of play (wiggle) at the leg mount button, as well as some movement at the main pivot area, but nothing I would consider "flex". Is this "play" what people are referring to as "flex", or am I doing something wrong? What came to mind when thinking of flex was more of a springiness, but rather it feels more like I'm taking up the looseness, then the bipod becomes stiff like a Harris.

I hope that made sense. This really is a fantastic product, I just want know if this is normal or not.

Thanks everyone!

Edit: Here is a video of what I was expecting. Skip to 13:30.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvzW6KJUGMQ

Re: Atlas Bipod - shouldn't it flex?

The legs themselves don't really flex, it's their pivot points that have some play. So yeah, it's not like a spring. Taking up that play is all you really need to do.

That's how an Atlas works. I wouldn't want a bipod that flexes.

Understood, thanks guys. I've only used Harris type bipods previously, so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect.

The Atlas is much easier to load due to it's design. It is a different system compared to the Harris. I have both and prefer the Atlas.

The Atlas is the awesome but if you have spent extensive time behind a Harris it does take time to become familiar with it.

Not sure if you're saying you read that here or somewhere else but I'm pretty sure that the first time I ever heard of "flex" and Atlas mentioned together was in the title of your thread. There is play in the joints but they're really solid once you load them.

"The Harris seems much more rigid in structure versus the Atlas which has some give and flex to it."

"Either way though, the flex built into the way the legs work makes the bipod easy to preload and very stable once preloaded."

"...it provides enough flex to place forward pressure on the rifle."

"The Atlas seems to flex more than the Harris or AI/PH bipods."

Granted, only one of those was from SH. I think the definition of flex just varies between different people.

Also, Mister Ouchie, you said I only need to take up the slack? I didn't realize the loading pressure was that light. I guess I've been putting way to much pressure before. Thanks for the tip!