• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Atlas bipod--sucks

Re: Atlas bipod--sucks

FWIW I have shot Harris for years and just got an Atlas. I am gonna be selling some Harris and a real sporty little 28 gauge Browning to start my next build which will also be getting an Atlas. No turning back for me Atlas is the way to go and Kasey was very kind and accommodating.

I have some feedback to provide the manufacturer (Kasey, perhaps?) based on my experience with my V8.1 Atlas.

1) Adding a nylon/polymer bushing inside the bipod legs should help to reduce friction/noise when extending/retracting.

2) The inside surface of the "gear-shaped" leg position plate needs to be chamfered to make it easier for users to reposition the legs. As is, if the leg position button is not FULLY depressed, it can get caught up on the edge of this surface.

3) The leg position buttons seem to get locked if pressure is applied to the legs before the buttons are pressed.

4) (Perfect world request): Add internal spring mechanisms to allow for a complete one-handed quick deploy. I can fully extend/deploy my Harris bipod with one hand, it'd be great to do the same with an Atlas.

wizdumb - Thanks for the input, I thought this thread was long dead! Oh I see member Country dug it up....lol

Let me answer your comments-

1) Adding a nylon/polymer bushing inside the bipod legs should help to reduce friction/noise when extending/retracting.

This was done starting with the second run of the V7's

2) The inside surface of the "gear-shaped" leg position plate needs to be chamfered to make it easier for users to reposition the legs. As is, if the leg position button is not FULLY depressed, it can get caught up on the edge of this surface.

The newer V8's have extended push buttons making depressing them easier to make 100% clearance easier to achieve. Removing material would decrease the "Bearing" surfaces between the two mating components and we want as much there as we can get.

3) The leg position buttons seem to get locked if pressure is applied to the legs before the buttons are pressed.

No comment

4) (Perfect world request): Add internal spring mechanisms to allow for a complete one-handed quick deploy. I can fully extend/deploy my Harris bipod with one hand, it'd be great to do the same with an Atlas.

The Atlas was designed to extend or retract the legs with one hand thus the moving leg is on the outside of the fixed inner leg.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick response, Kasey. It's great to have a direct line to the manufacturer, as well as one that's open to feedback about their product(s), so I really do appreciate this.

As an overall clarification to my points of feedback, I am of the opinion that a bipod of this quality should be dead-simple to use, but that has not been my experience. I really like the Atlas, but these are some improvements I would like to see made so that it works with me and not against me. Overall though, I think you have an excellent product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wizdumb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1) Adding a nylon/polymer bushing inside the bipod legs should help to reduce friction/noise when extending/retracting.</div></div>
This was done starting with the second run of the V7's</div></div>

Does that include the V8+ models? I have a V8.1 that I got this year from Triad and it sounds and feels like metal-on-metal when I extend/retract the legs. Perhaps it's just the ball bearing detents rubbing against the legs?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wizdumb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2) The inside surface of the "gear-shaped" leg position plate needs to be chamfered to make it easier for users to reposition the legs. As is, if the leg position button is not FULLY depressed, it can get caught up on the edge of this surface.</div></div>
The newer V8's have extended push buttons making depressing them easier to make 100% clearance easier to achieve. Removing material would decrease the "Bearing" surfaces between the two mating components and we want as much there as we can get.</div></div>

Understood and a fair point, but I would counter that it would be a reasonable trade-off for increasing usability by sacrificing a minuscule amount of bearing surface. As an added bonus, chamfering this edge will help the button to fall into position. They seem to get hung up on the top of the surface as well, on occasion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wizdumb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3) The leg position buttons seem to get locked if pressure is applied to the legs before the buttons are pressed.</div></div>
No comment</div></div>

To clarify that this is not user-error, I don't mean a lot of pressure, but I don't have a way to measure either. I would say that even 1lb of pressure applied to the leg will completely bind up the button. Honing the inside surface of the gear-shaped plate might resolve this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wizdumb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">4) (Perfect world request): Add internal spring mechanisms to allow for a complete one-handed quick deploy. I can fully extend/deploy my Harris bipod with one hand, it'd be great to do the same with an Atlas.</div></div>
The Atlas was designed to extend or retract the legs with one hand thus the moving leg is on the outside of the fixed inner leg. </div></div>

Sorry, I don't think I was clear in how I wrote this, but you are right in that the legs can be deployed with one hand.

What I meant by one-handed deployment was the ability to deploy and extend both legs simultaneously using only my one off-hand while being behind the rifle. With a Harris, I can depress both leg buttons then flip them down simultaneously.

Kasey spent at least 30 minutes with me explaining his product. As a result I bought a couple of Atlas bipods and they most certainly do not as you say "suck". Have you ever called the man and talked to him about your problem? I'll tell you, you couldn't talk to a nicer guy and I bet he would try and figure out a workaround for you.

Gil Horsley

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrHiggins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kasey spent at least 30 minutes with me explaining his product. As a result I bought a couple of Atlas bipods and they most certainly do not as you say "suck". Have you ever called the man and talked to him about your problem? I'll tell you, you couldn't talk to a nicer guy and I bet he would try and figure out a workaround for you.

Gil Horsley </div></div>

No one in this entire thread thinks that they "suck", the original poster simply choose a poor thread subject line. For reference, see the first post in this thread.

wizdumb,

My pleasure, you are a customer of ours and as such we are obligated to listen, learn and explain.

Dead-Simple is a great goal we strive towards and have enjoyed some success at, not as much as we desire but some. The Harris has been and remains the standard bipod for many reasons to include simplicity. BUT I would offer that we can see here on SH there are people that do not understand the function of the Harris either. So I would hope, that if one spent as much time with the Atlas that they did to "learn" the Harris, add some for the added features found on the Atlas they would be well on their way to a happy ending.

And to be clear, I would be more than happy to have a look at your Atlas, correct whatever is wrong and send it back to you at no charge. In the meantime let me reply to your questions/explanations.

1. Does that include the V8+ models? I have a V8.1 that I got this year from Triad and it sounds and feels like metal-on-metal when I extend/retract the legs. Perhaps it's just the ball bearing detents rubbing against the legs?

Yes, they should not drag, make noise or grind when extending. Please make sure the legs are clean then add a drop of oil to the balls and work the collars to make sure everything is free in them. The balls should be free and move away from the leg when moving.

2. Understood and a fair point, but I would counter that it would be a reasonable trade-off for increasing usability by sacrificing a minuscule amount of bearing surface. As an added bonus, chamfering this edge will help the button to fall into position. They seem to get hung up on the top of the surface as well, on occasion.

I do see you point but the reality is, if the operator fails to fully depress the button even with the proposed chamfer in place, it will still bind.

We do put a small chamfer on the button portion and could add one to the position plate as we are machining them.

3. To clarify that this is not user-error, I don't mean a lot of pressure, but I don't have a way to measure either. I would say that even 1lb of pressure applied to the leg will completely bind up the button. Honing the inside surface of the gear-shaped plate might resolve this.

The legs are designed to be moved into any of the 5 positions while free from the job of supporting the rifle. I have no idea when an operator would have the need to have pressure applied to the leg BEFORE depressing the button so as to move the leg. As I sit here Atlas in hand I can add pressure to the leg and it binds the button, relieve the pressure button is depressed fine. So, this begs the question why would anyone that desires to move the leg add pressure first? It should be depress the button, move leg, not the other way around.

Maybe under stress, I can see this, especially if the Harris has been your bipod for any amount of time.

4. What I meant by one-handed deployment was the ability to deploy and extend both legs simultaneously using only my one off-hand while being behind the rifle. With a Harris, I can depress both leg buttons then flip them down simultaneously.

Gotch, yes I agree that would be nice and we are actually playing with a "comp" type bipod that would include such a gizmo.

I want to say again, that the Atlas was designed for guys that did not want things to pop open, extend, retract, close or fall off with the push of a button. I understood that everything they wanted the bipod to do, had to be done on purpose.

The comp model would be fast as the Harris to deploy with some added versatility and still weigh less!

Kasey, you really stay on top of things with your products. Makes me want an Atlas even more. One is on my list, looking forward to seeing the new stuff as well. All of the Accu-Shot products I do have are very well made, and its nice to see a maker look so hard into the wants and needs of its customers. It would be a different world if more followed suit. A lot of poorly made products flooding the markets these days.

Well, as this thread has been resurrected, I'll add my dos centavos:

Just installed my first Atlas. As an old aircraft guy, I have very high standards for machine work and fit/finish. (As an odd coincidence, I used to work just down the isle from the Atlas missile assembly bays.) Frankly, the Atlas could have come out of the missile program workshop - the quality of construction is THAT good!

I did, however, make one small change. Due to cost, I see the Atlas being used on more than one rifle. It would be much more convenient if the clamp screws were socket-head cap screws as opposed to straight slot. So that's just what I did, I shortened a couple of 10-32 SHCS bolts to use on the mounting clamp.

Nice job, Kasey!

Cheers... Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Jim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see the Atlas being used on more than one rifle. It would be much more convenient if the clamp screws were socket-head cap screws as opposed to straight slot. </div></div>

I really don't like slotted screws on anything either.

I have a piece of gear that has slotted-socket-head cap screws. You can use a slotted screwdriver or an allen wrench. Some slotted/allen screws might be worth looking at. The TangoDown bipod has them if anyone is wondering what kind of screw I'm describing.

redirt78, thank you and thank you! I know the screws you speak of and have provided one contract with the hex screws. Slotted screws are common so went there, maybe the next run we'll do the combo.

Just Jim, Thank you!

Thanks again for the detailed point-by-point explanation, Kasey, it was very helpful.

Perhaps I am a little too used to how the Harris functions, and the speed at which I operate that bipod has not translated well when I work with the Atlas. Perhaps with some more range time and practice, the issues will work themselves out. I'd be happy to report back to you if that's not the case and provide additional feedback.

I may give you a call about the noise my Atlas is making. From your description, it appears that it may not be functioning properly.

I'll never claim the Atlas is as fast as the Harris to deploy. Not sure about the noise but call tomorrow, I'm out today.