• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas or harris

dixie3bass

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2011
SE OH
Is an atlas bipod worth the extra money or should I just stay with Harris? Do I want the one that cants or swivels? Also what quick release is the way to go? Thanks.

Re: Atlas or harris

If you buy an atlas first it will save you money because you will only buy one and not two bipods
smile.gif

Seriously, they are very nice and dont leave you wanting something more as much as a haris does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you buy an atlas first it will save you money because you will only buy one and not two bipods
smile.gif
</div></div>

These are words to live by. The Atlas is WAY better then the Harris. I have never met anyone who has used an Atlas and then wanted to switch back. I have also never met anyone who hasn't thrown out their Harris after using an Atlas.

From my experience, the Atlas is a superior product to the Harris. The Harris will work fine, many folks use them, but the Atlas is just superior.

I own both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you buy an atlas first it will save you money because you will only buy one and not two bipods</div></div>

This is exactly what happened to me. Go with an Atlas, you won't regret it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I am just old fashioned.
</div></div>

He's old fashioned.

The atlas sure seems to "grab" the ground better, and allow you to load the bipod better (a lot) than harris.

Not to steal your tread but is there a way to have an atlas without having a rail?
Or without workin on he gun. Like and adapter.

Again sorry to hi-jack

My only gripe is the same as everyone else's . Deployment is slow. Otherwise it rocks.

By the way, would love to try an Atas, I can't seem to keep the rifle still when trying to load the bipod. Harris seems to want to either roll or slide away no matter what the surface. More than likely something to do with how I'm trying to drive the rifle but the Harris sure seems very sensitive to loading.

i had to buy an atlas for my 22 because i cant go back to shooting a harris, they are worth every penny imo

the atlas is the only bipod to use now, if you go with a Harris they you want the S type and then a pod lock and then you only have a bipod that is nearly as good as an atlus because the Atlas panns aswell. also you can switch feet ont he atlus with a push of the button. the only upside of the harris is like when we used to shoot IPSC you had to start with the bipod folded and rifle at high port and then you were timed to deploy it and go prone to shoot the harris is faster to deploy that is the only advantage the harris has over an Atlas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rvphoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to steal your tread but is there a way to have an atlas without having a rail?
Or without workin on he gun. Like and adapter.

Again sorry to hi-jack </div></div>

Yes, get a spigot mount.

If you mean can you use an Atlas on a stud, the answer is no.

But IMHO a 2" or 3" rail is a small price to pay for the benefits of the Atlas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you buy an atlas first it will save you money because you will only buy one and not two bipods
smile.gif
</div></div>

Unless you have rifles with a spigot mount and rifles with rails - then buy two (if you can). It's a lot quicker than wrestling with a hex key everytime you want to mount the bipod on the other type of rifle
wink.gif

Had an Atlas, like the Harris better for field and range, it may surprise some that I also like my NON swivel 9-13 best and use the most often.. Just me though.

I have both and am changing over my Harris bipods to Atlas on my rifles with the exception of my CZ455. I found that the Atlas seems more solid for me when loading it. The slowness in deploying it isn't really an issue for me so it doesn't factor in to what I use.

The atlas bipod is $280 at triad and the Harris swivel is $88 and then add $20-23 for a sarge knob or pod lock it come out to around $110. The Atlas is roughly 2.5 times more expensive than Harris. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think its a fair price comparison.

Also, not to hi-jack again but I have a manners on order and was wondering should I just have them put a rail upfront instead of a swivel stud so that in the future it'll be easy to upgrade to an atlas? or is it just as easy to get a rail later?

Had an older model Atlas and, after years of trouble-free use, I just find Harris better for me. I use only the 6-9 swivel with notched legs and Pod-Loc. My Atlas was mounted on a AICS spigot (older version) and it was not as solid as locking in the Harris.
To be fair, I understand the newest version of Atlas has cleared up many of the things that I saw as issues. Also, IMHO, I was just unimpressed with the fact that the folks at Atlas wanted a bunch of cash to upgrade my existing bipod. Especially so when they had no problem asking the 2.5X original price.
I'm sure this will get me flamed and shamed, as there are way too many Atlas fans here. BTW, I guess I could change my opinion. Someone send me the latest Atlas and AI spigot to T&E for a few years and we'll see.
smile.gif

I have a new Atlas that I havn't used yet. Going to use it for new build with an A-5. The McMillan A-5 is being made and they are putting two threaded holes spaced for a small piece of rail to mount Atlas as well as a flush cup in the bottom and flush cup in left side of forestock for a sling. A QD stud will also be timed to the rear threaded hole in forestock in case I decide that I dont like Atlas bi-pod. I really hate rails on my rifles ecxept for to mount the scope. Will bolt a small piece of rail on to try out Atlas for awhile and if I don't like it I'll remove the piece of rail, place QD stud, and use one of my Harris.

The Atlas is an amazing product and I love mine. However, in tactical competition I use my Harris. The Atlas is just to slow to deploy. If I didn't shoot competition, I'd off load all my Harris.

Example: Prone shot, barricade type port shot, back to prone. If you only have 30 seconds.....the Harris is the only choice.

Another vote for the Atlas from someone that owns both. I like that the Atlas offers some play in the hinges. When the legs are pre-loaded, the mount can move backward a few centimeters during recoil while the tips of the legs stay put. I find that this eases keeping the target centered through the firing cycle. The pan feature also eases swinging the rifle between targets and I suspect would be handy for movers.

—Andreas

For a QD rail mount, the average harris will cost you $180. Atlas will be $280, there is no comparison between the 2. Atlas has an outstanding product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dixie3bass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is an atlas bipod worth the extra money or should I just stay with Harris?</div></div>

Only you can answer that.

There are lots of LE and Military snipers and civvie competition shooters doing well with the Harris.

IMHO the Atlas is better. It gives me more options and has allowed me to setup shots at work and in competition that the Harris would not have been capable of.

I have shot with the atlas for over a year on my AI, a factory AI bi pod before that and have used the harris forever on various guns. I recently decided to try the harris on the AI as I have been unhappy with some of the issues that I have had with the spigot mounting system that the atlas uses. I found that I was able to shoot tighter groups and have better poa/poi with the harris. I find the harris legs easier and faster to adjust from the prone position as well. So this year I will be competing with harris bi pods on my rifles. I think that atlas has some interesting features that have used on various stages during matches but I feel the control that the harris provides will help me gain more points in the long run. So in the end my vote is stay with the harris.

Atlas, it is much superior to harris. I have three harris and one atlas.

You need to run both, if for no other reason then so you appreciate the advantages of one over the other. None of us can tell you what works for you. Get out and put rounds down range and learn for yourself.

Harris for hunting, Atlas for the range.

I have both, and will never replace my Harris bipods on my hunting rifles.

IF I could only have one, I'd have a Harris.

I own both brands. I don't think the Atlas leaves the Harris in the dust when compared.

But maybe you can be more specific as to what "much superior" means.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Atlas, it is much superior to harris. I have three harris and one atlas. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the atlas is the only bipod to use now, if you go with a Harris they you want the S type and then a pod lock and then you only have a bipod that is nearly as good as an atlus because the Atlas panns aswell. also you can switch feet ont he atlus with a push of the button. the only upside of the harris is like when we used to shoot IPSC you had to start with the bipod folded and rifle at high port and then you were timed to deploy it and go prone to shoot the harris is faster to deploy that is the only advantage the harris has over an Atlas.

</div></div>

I'm curious as how much being able to pan is helpful when in the prone position? I have looked at the atlas bipod for the last few months and just not sure I want to drop that kind of money on it for that feature.

I have and use both.
The harris for rifles & pistols that I don't want to mount a rail on & the Atlas for my sticks that have a rail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolloxinaspanner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I must be the only one on this forum that uses the Versapod with David Tubbs' mod. I prefer it to my Harris (I'll be selling that soon) and I see no advantage to using an Atlas and it's about $100 less.
http://www.davidtubb.com/model-52-versa-pod-tubb-design </div></div>

I have played with the AI and the Versapod. I prefer a Harris to either and I prefer an Atlas to those. Now unless the DT mod totally changes the feel of the bipod I don't know that it would make a difference in how I rank them.

$100 for the Tubb Versapod and another $50-100 for a method to mount it to your rifle. Compare that to $220 for an Atlas with the regular Clamp. It's not a massive savings.

But hey, if you prefer it then rock on. I do however see several advantages with the Atlas over the Versapod. I dislike how the legs telescope. I dislike how the legs deploy. I believe the Atlas gives me the most versatility in an urban environment over any bipod that I have used.