• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas Tactical Quality

Jeremy45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
Odessa, TX
Hello,

​​​​​​I'm curious the general consensus on Kelbly's Atlas Tactical quality. Is it a "premium" action like a Surgeon or Big Horn etc.?
​​​
I like a lot of what I read about it and a have a big soft spot for family owned companies which Kelblys is. I don't need the most advanced everything, just a good action that I can build an accurate, reliable rifle around.

Does the Atlas Tactical fit that bill?

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

They are great actions, built by one of the best companies out there. Add to that the fact they have recently lowered the cost of their actions (remarkable in this day and age), they are likely the most bang for the buck out there.

I should add that I have one, albeit for a 223, and have shot others.

I'll let you know in about two days. I have an Atlas tactical coming from Ryan and Ian with a 28" Krieger barrel in .260 Remington. I went all Kelbly's and got their scope rings and the Bix & Andy Tactical trigger 4oz-4lbs. I'm dropping it in an AIAX chassis with an Athlon Chronos optic. I'll run my TBAC Ultra 9 on it shooting hand loaded 147 ELD-M's. Hoping it's the laser I think it will be. I have to tell you dealing with them has been awesome! Ryan is a super guy. He called me and we talked for over a half hour. He knows his stuff and they are committed to quality and customer service.

They are great actions, built by one of the best companies out there. Add to that the fact they have recently lowered the cost of their actions (remarkable in this day and age), they are likely the most bang for the buck out there.

I should add that I have one, albeit for a 223, and have shot others.
Do you have to use their extended scope base or will a standard rem 700 base work?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Buy with confidence, they're a very well made, slick action, based off a proven target action which has been used to win many a competition. Bolt knob probably doesn't look as sexy as some of the others out there, but it works damn well which is the main thing. At the price you can get them for in the US, they're fantastic value.

Finally got mine together. The scope rings I got from them were too short for the AIAX chassis so I ordered an ADM Recon. Man the action is butter smooth. I'll be doing load development this weekend.

Attachments

• photo76392.jpg
    photo76392.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 84
  • photo76393.jpg
    photo76393.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 60
  • photo76394.jpg
    photo76394.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 105
  • photo76395.jpg
    photo76395.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 83
Finally got mine together. The scope rings I got from them were too short for the AIAX chassis so I ordered an ADM Recon. Man the action is butter smooth. I'll be doing load development this weekend.

That looks awesome. What trigger and barrel profile did you go with? I was really trying not to go with an AX chassis to save weight but that rig is slick, I'm going to have to reconsider!!

Kelbly makes a great action. One of the best if not the best. You will not be disappointed.

Completed my load testing. Two nodes found one at 43.5g of H4350 - 2830 FPS with SD of 8 with a .29 MOA group. The other was a 45.1g - 2910 FPS with SD 13 and a .50 MOA group. I'm going with the lower node to give my brass long life. Here is the target and data sheet for the lower node group. These are 5 shot groups not 3.

Attachments

• photo77040.jpg
    photo77040.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 37
  • photo77042.png
    photo77042.png
    134.9 KB · Views: 46
That's some nice shooting on your part too Dan! That rifle looks to be a winner!! Congrats.

Todd

I have a custom .260 built on a Kelby Atlas. It's my favorite, butter smooth & fast, love the mechanical ejector, a great foundation for a new build.

I built on an atlas tactical a while back. It was quite nice. Super good ergo's and had a lot going for it. I had selected it to be my "go to" action. ... Then Lone Peak started shipping actions.

Doesn't mean the atlas tactical isn't good. Just means that the Lone Peak stuff is SO impressive that I wouldn't even consider a BAT much less an Atlas for future builds. I have rifles built on both of those, but Lone Peak is just in a different category.

I built on an atlas tactical a while back. It was quite nice. Super good ergo's and had a lot going for it. I had selected it to be my "go to" action. ... Then Lone Peak started shipping actions.

Doesn't mean the atlas tactical isn't good. Just means that the Lone Peak stuff is SO impressive that I wouldn't even consider a BAT much less an Atlas for future builds. I have rifles built on both of those, but Lone Peak is just in a different category.

In what way?

Bolt lift, extraction, "smoothness," ergo's, and general toughness. During use, they just... run. ... and they run silky smooth like that with a huge array of cartridges. Probably the least finicky action I've ever been around.

Bolt lift, extraction, "smoothness," ergo's, and general toughness. During use, they just... run. ... and they run silky smooth like that with a huge array of cartridges. Probably the least finicky action I've ever been around.
And you just happen to sell them correct?

I purchased one for my up coming build. Putting together a 6mm and debated between a few. Went with the atlas tactical in the end mainly due to the price (on sale for a wicked price and couldn’t pass up on it). Have a stiller tac 30, now the atlas and a buddy with the defiance deviant. The atlas is very very impressive for the money. Multiple steps above the stiller! Very excited to see how it comes together

I finally got to shoot mine at distance. Put 90 rounds throught it Friday. Did not take any pics but it was easily sub MOA at 1000. The Athlon Chronos is spectacular as is the AIAX Chassis. With the fat barrel and TBAC Ultra 9 the .260 has virtually no recoil. I could shoot it all day! Totally love the rifle.

I finally got to shoot mine at distance. Put 90 rounds throught it Friday. Did not take any pics but it was easily sub MOA at 1000. The Athlon Chronos is spectacular as is the AIAX Chassis. With the fat barrel and TBAC Ultra 9 the .260 has virtually no recoil. I could shoot it all day! Totally love the rifle.

That's awesome!! I'm looking at nearly the same setup so I am very glad it is working for you.
Kelbly's is working on my action right now. I'm hoping to have everything put together by the end of the year!!

Thank you all for such great comments on the Atlas Tactical! We love being able to put out a great product and at an affordable price. We saw the demands of this market, and increased our efficiencies to be able to get into the hands of any shooter's budget. If you have any questions please email me at [email protected] or call me at 330-683-4674! We have some barreled actions in stock and an awesome new rifle package coming out at SHOT this year!

-Ian Kelbly