• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Atlas vs Harris Bipod

Good video; however, the video states the Atlas has no locking provision and that is incorrect. The knob being tightened is what prevents the Atlas from freely canting from one side to the other.

All in all, I would say this is a good video that demonstrates the strengths and weaknesses of each, better allowing people to make their decision on which bipod is right for them.

Last edited:
True. Good point. And it's factory, not a $26 aftermarket add-on.

Small differences aside, I think the biggest desparity between the two is the price point.

I feel like that becomes less of an issue when you consider the versatility of the Atlas. I had a price comparison in the film but removed it, it didn't seem appropriate. I'll include it in Film whatever: More bipods.

Add a $26 Podloc to the Harris, $90 OEM pan attachment, $100 QD mount, $100 aftermarket feet, suddenly your $110 Harris is ~$430 and half a pound heavier than the Atlas. And you still need a second one if you want the same height versatility of the Atlas + $35 leg extensions.

I realise that all the mods aren't strictly necessary, but you're getting those from factory with the Atlas. I like the QD ability etc.

Last edited:
Nice video. If it weren't for the price...I'd own both Harris and Atlas pods.

It's important to note when comparing the price of these items that you compare them as is, from the factory, and not with all the aftermarket goodies (some people prefer to not have to pay a premium for included items...they would rather you get a quality item and put what part you want on it later on).

Harris $97.99 at Midway: Harris S-BRM Bipod Leg Notch Sling Swivel Stud Mount 6 to 9 Black

Atlas non-QD to match the Harris attachment style $219.95 at Midway: Atlas BT10 Bipod 1913 Picatinny Rail Mount 4.75 to 9 Aluminum Black

Hands down, I think the Atlas is the winner for cosmetics, function, add-ons and craftsmanship. But at twice the price (and nearly thrice the price with the QD model), it's a sticking point for me; especially when a Harris has yet to let me down.

I will say....If you've got thousands invested in your gun, what's another $300 bucks....

Nice Vid!

I think Harris is the standard by which all Bipods are measured. For the Price ($99 every day market price for harris swivel model), nothing even comes close.

Only thing I don't like about the Harris are the looks. Hobbyist like me are all about looks. That is why one of my guns has an Atlas, I need the cool looks of the Atlas when rifle is next to me while I am playing COD.

I'd own at least one Atlas if the price were comparable to the swivel, notched Harris. The only thing I dislike about the Harris is the difficulty of attaching/detaching it to/from the stud and the only thing I dislike about the Atlas (aside from the price) is the need for a bottom rail for attachment. Since there are many ways to shoot a rifle, you have to choose a bipod based on whether it will suit your needs.

Until now, I never knew what I was supposed to put in my stock pack. I had tic tacs and condoms in mine.
After 25 years of Harris bipods (without fail) I cannot find the love for Atlas. But I am just a old fart with a hard head.

I keep earplugs, drop chart, scope cleaning stuff, allen keys and Atlas leg extensions in my stockpack. And fired cases when I'm hunting.

I used the Harris for years too, but then I tried an Atlas.

I keep earplugs, drop chart, scope cleaning stuff, allen keys and Atlas leg extensions in my stockpack. And fired cases when I'm hunting.

I used the Harris for years too, but then I tried an Atlas.

I guess I wasted that little bit of sarcasm on you ;)
Good review but, like I said, Atlas bipods just are not for me. And it is not a cost issue at all. I have owned two of them and always go back to Harris with Podloc.

I guess I wasted that little bit of sarcasm on you ;)
Good review but, like I said, Atlas bipods just are not for me. And it is not a cost issue at all. I have owned two of them and always go back to Harris with Podloc.

Sometimes it's hard to translate sarcasm from text. whoops.

I just mounted my Atlas today. Taking it to the range next weekend but I'm already in love. I like the locking 45 degree position and already have the spikes for soft dirt and ice. Leg extensions are on the short list for sure. Thanks for the video. Helped make my mind up. My next one will be the QR model.

Both have some great features.

The Harris does excel at rapid deployment, specifically rapid one hand deployment.

The Atlas lets you get a lot lower if you need to.

I was in my gun room working on stuff thinking about this thread and snapped these three pics real quick. Horrible camera phone pics thrown together in photoshop real quick but might help someone out.

bipodheights.jpg

I just loved my Harris bipods until I made the mistake of buying an Atlas. Sadly I have no more Harris units. Price be damned I love the Atlas!

very common occurrence i believe
price is pretty much the main issue for everyone. the reasons people give for choosing the harris over the atlas other than price are tricks of the mind

"this is not the bipod that you are looking for"

I feel like that becomes less of an issue when you consider the versatility of the Atlas. I had a price comparison in the film but removed it, it didn't seem appropriate. I'll include it in Film whatever: More bipods.

Add a $26 Podloc to the Harris, $90 OEM pan attachment, $100 QD mount, $100 aftermarket feet, suddenly your $110 Harris is ~$430 and half a pound heavier than the Atlas. And you still need a second one if you want the same height versatility of the Atlas + $35 leg extensions.

I realise that all the mods aren't strictly necessary, but you're getting those from factory with the Atlas. I like the QD ability etc.

Agreed. Had this comment on another post and pointed out the same thing.

I just mounted my Atlas today. Taking it to the range next weekend but I'm already in love. I like the locking 45 degree position and already have the spikes for soft dirt and ice. Leg extensions are on the short list for sure. Thanks for the video. Helped make my mind up. My next one will be the QR model.

Where did you get spikes for your Atlas?

Don't get the cleat feet as they suck. Might want to consider the spikes instead.

I wasnt sure on the cleat feet as they dont seem to rotate it the legs are extended out or back. Thanks for the advice, they are off the list.

Don't get the cleat feet as they suck. Might want to consider the spikes instead.

Agreed 100%. I picked up the cleats and quickly returned them for the spikes because the cleats will easily roll forward onto the edges when loading the bipod. That being said, it's not an issue that's exclusive to the Atlas because the Harris cleats do the same.

If the cleats did not pivot they would be fine but they roll over if you load the bipod. I have considered having them welded at the ball joint.

Agreed 100%. I picked up the cleats and quickly returned them for the spikes because the cleats will easily roll forward onto the edges when loading the bipod. That being said, it's not an issue that's exclusive to the Atlas because the Harris cleats do the same.

Yeah, you can see it with the Phoenix Tactical ones on one of my Harris bipods in the video.

If you tighten the tension up so they don't pivot, they're hard to use on anything other than perfectly flat ground. If you have it loose enough to pivot, they roll forward and act basically as oversized not-very-good spikes

Last edited:
i like the pan feature, but the harris legs are much quicker to deploy and adjust. I think this video showed these legs are not notched and are spring loaded to retract. The much better version is notched legs and spring loaded to extend. That allows you to just reach up and touch the button on each leg to extend it to the ground. Use the weight of the rifle to collapse it.

I'm getting an atlas for a new precision AR build, but I'll stick with harris for matches or any time i'm on a clock.

Got mine on flea bay. 55 with free shipping. Was loading up the bipod in the house and one of the rubber feet popped off the foot of my atlas. Guess there is such as excess preload. Oops.

Last edited:
+1! The Harris deploys so fast with the notches -- just a tiny bit more robustness and the ability to go 6"-13" and I'm in.

Sent from my iPhone

Jt

Also I think when the Harris is full retracted its resting on the inner spring, which makes it bounce on firing.I shoot pron most of the time,so I usually let the bi-pod out a knotch or 2 .It wouldn't take much for Harris to make it heavier. Im not carrying my rifle around hunting so the extra weight doesn't make a diff to me.

Rob

Had a chance to get the Harris and Atlas out side by side today. Hands down winner was the Atlas. I could get them to load up ok but the atlas felt a lot more solid during firing. The Harris was spongy feeling during recoil compared to the Atlas. I'll be picking up another Atlas in the near future with the quick release to bounce between my 308s and use the one I got now (screw on) with a hunting rifle. Giving the Harris's to the old man for hunting.

I have a Harris, but mostly use the Atlas. The Atlas is a much better unit. You don't see the deference until you tried both.

I have decided on Atlas because of features and esthetics. Now I have to decide on QD or setscrew mount. With the expiring Midway codes (today!) and other items I am ordering anyway, I can get one for either $250 or $200 respectively. I don't know how often I'll need to easily move the bipod from rifle to rifle but think it might be nice to have that option.

What do people think? Thanks.

I like the QD because it allows you to be able to arrange your gear in a case and get more in it when heading to the range. I can't place two rifles side by side with a bipod attached, but I can without and there are usually smaller areas in the case that the bipod fits. The only kink is that you need rails on whatever rifle you're going to use it on. No biggy, just an extra cost.

Thank you very much for that video. It answered a lot of questions that I had regarding bipods. Thanks for taking the time to do this!

I know this is a few months old, but I recently purchased an Atlas Bipod. I've been using a Harris on my Grendel for about a year but after purchasing an AR30A1 300 win mag, I decided to try something more substantial. The Harris has been fine, but the 6.5 Grendel doesn't have the weight of the Armalite, besides, on occassion, one of the legs on the Harris would collapse when I'm trying to pivot. I'm fairly new to long range shooting, so I just chalked it up to my inexperience.

Today, I took the AR30A1 out for a little shooting on my normal 660 to 750 yd range. After shooting 2 boxes, I suddenly realized that I was able to stay on the target, even after the shot. Not 100% sure why, but I think I must have been getting some 'spring' action out of the Harris that I'm not getting with the Atlas. The Atlas just has a more substantial and confident feel vs the Harris. I still have the Harris on the Grendel, but soon I plan on swapping out the Harris and just giving the Atlas a test on the 6.5. By the way, I really like being able to angle the legs forward, which lowers my point of aim. Again, this was an issue that I never thought about, but now that I have the option, it's really helped with my shooting comfort.

Thanks for the review.