• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Atlasworx / DJDILLIODON M5 trigger guard review

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
First off (disclaimer) - This review (or DIY project) is not a paid endorsement or advertisement from or for any company, nor do I have any affiliation with any of the companies of the topic product(s) or any other product(s) shown, or have interests in their competitors if an unfavorable review – just my opinion - for what that is worth.

I had wanted to put my CZ 455 Varmint into a Tacticool, but opted to put into an airsoft AICS stock conversion which I was very satisfied with. However my latest Centerfire build has a Choate tactical stock on it, and wanted to mimick the look and feel of the CZ as close as I could to it by going back to the Tacticool plan.

So when it was announced that the new trigger guard was going to be produced, (round style) it got my attention. I also suggested the M5 profile along with the round so that folks with a Badger BM on their centerfires would have a trainer with the same type of guard (plus cosmetically it just looked pretty darn neat). I shot off a few pictures of another trigger guard that I found that had the M5 profile, which the popularity of the M5 overtook the round profile – guess I cut my own throat on that, as I run PTG BM, the round would be a better fit for me.

Anyhow, I ordered the M5 anyway, and am glad I did. The look, fit, and finish of the guard is second to none. The machine work is precise, sharp and clean on the guard. To compliment the guard, I also ordered the upgraded action screws, with Allen type heads. I have to admit I liked the Torx style used on the factory original screws, but the upgraded ones are supposed to be of a stronger metallurgy, and the finish will match the guard. IMO, it looks as “at home” on the walnut as it does on the Tacticool.

A few pictures of the guard and screws:

When it comes to the upgraded screws, the front screw is a little longer than factory. On the factory walnut stock, you will have to shorten the screw as it’s a little too long using the walnut. Also when using the M5 trigger guard with the walnut, either the plastic spacer in the mag well will have to be trimmed or the stock guard inlet will have to be lengthened slightly as the cutout for the mag gets hung up on the plastic spacer. This WASN’T the case when it was put on the Tacticool.
[FONT=&amp]However with the Tacticool, the factory front action screw was a little too short. The upgraded screws did not lay flush with the trigger guard, but not so out of place where it would be a problem. [/FONT]

Above the trigger area, there is a thicker metal lobe that fills the area where the factory trigger adjustment tool goes tucked up under the factory trigger guard.

I put the trigger guard on the factory 455 Varmint stock.

next came the Tacticool (continued below)

Last edited:
The M5 profile on the Tacticool.

Quartering view, also next to a Rem 700.

All in all I’m very pleased with the trigger guard / action screws. If only having to suggest a few more upgrades, one would be to have the guard bottom a little thicker to compensate for some of the flex and give a little more strength once the action and screws are connected. Another is pretty much cosmetic, but perhaps a “tacticoolish looking” extended well (like a PTG Stealth) not only for looks, but to help guide 10 round mags into the well and to give the longer mags a bit more protection.

I look forward see what any other future products put out by Atlasworx / DJDILLIODON – if they are anything like the M5 trigger guard, they should be well built precise items with attention to detail at a reasonable price.

Last edited:
TOP I completely agree with you I am working on bedding my 455 will be glad when it is done. The only thing I can think of to add to your review is RIGHT ON TARGET !!!!!!!!!!!!! Mike

Looks good, and good of you to do a write up. Who is ANS Precision though? DJ said they were made by Atlasworx and can be seen on their site

Looks great! My guard is of the same quality. I'm extremely happy and am still looking for a good deal on a Tacticool 455 to put it on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I second the motion on an extended magwell! I'd love to see a bit of flared material on the perimeter of the magazine well to make it easier to insert a mag, as well a more ergonomic mag release. The DIP extended mag release just doesn't look improved enough to be worth changing out the factory hardware.

The DIP extended mag release just doesn't look improved enough to be worth changing out the factory hardware.

i found the extended mag release very helpful, some pics and stuff here: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...p-cz-metal-magazine-well-ext-mag-release.html

it just gives you enough length to not have to "search" or use a finger nail. definitely worth it IMO.

guard link: Atlasworxs (Powered by CubeCart) though i don't see a 455 .22lr listed, perhaps give DJDILLIODON a PM.

The standard CZ455 trigger guard has to suit .17HMR and .22LR because the beauty of the CZ455 is that you can switch barrels/calibres. It makes sense for the trigger guard to have the larger cutout so you just use the plastic magazine insert when using a shorter cartridge like the .22LR.
If you use a custom/aftermarket guard meant only for the .22LR CZ455 then you have to trim down the magazine insert because the guard will be covering it.

anyone have pics of the M5 bottom metal on the Manners stocked 455?

Just saw this thread....hope this helps. It's a perfect fit on the Manners, no custom work needed for a perfect fit.

Attachments

• DSC_0299.jpg
    DSC_0299.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0301.jpg
    DSC_0301.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 30
These all appear to be made in Australia. Heck they might be produced by the same company for all I know as the are very very similar.

Sterk/cannoncrossfire....
CZ455Triggerguard_zps8d0e5863.jpg

Atlasworxs....
photo(34).JPG

DJDILLIODON/ANS Precision.....
F7B754A2-8F08-4D5D-A635-15265E271B08.jpg

Regardless it's a decent upgrade if you like the look though I wish they were steel and not aluminum. The one I got directly from AU required minor fitting. I am going to try in incorporate a trigger stop in the guard as the over travel drives me crazy.

CZ455complete_zps88621eef.jpg

These all appear to be made in Australia. Heck they might be produced by the same company for all I know as the are very very similar.

Regardless it's a decent upgrade if you like the look though I wish they were steel and not aluminum. The one I got directly from AU required minor fitting. I am going to try in incorporate a trigger stop in the guard as the over travel drives me crazy.

Love your CZ elgordo, you've got some skills with those handles and cerakoting.
I'm Sterk, I had produced the CZ452 Trigger guards in the M5 style at the CNC company I work at; people liked my style and so DJDILLIODON I guess used my design as inspiration - the front of the trigger loop has less material on his, it also doesn't consider the extra inletting required to the top of the guard to let Timney triggers fit - it needs a slot recess milled in the top.
It was mentioned he went to Atlasworx and they made a batch for him, and are now making and producing them for themselves anyways.

I've gotta get around to making more CZ452/453 guards and do some for CZ455 too. I've got too many CZ handles to get through first though.

Last edited:

Sterk/cannoncrossfire....
CZ455Triggerguard_zps8d0e5863.jpg

Atlasworxs....
photo(34).JPG

DJDILLIODON/ANS Precision.....
F7B754A2-8F08-4D5D-A635-15265E271B08.jpg

CZ455complete_zps88621eef.jpg

The reason why it requires a little fitting is because the action screw holes are slightly off and your stock is most likely pillar bedded. If pillars aren't installed the amount they are off by will usually not require fitting.

Last edited:
I just picked one of these up and installed it on my CZ 455 PVT with the Manners stock. It does not lay flush. There is some bowing in the middle forward of the trigger guard.

I'm not sure if it will effect anything or if it's cosmetic only.

I just picked one of these up and installed it on my CZ 455 PVT with the Manners stock. It does not lay flush. There is some bowing in the middle forward of the trigger guard.

I'm not sure if it will effect anything or if it's cosmetic only.

Is your stock pillar bedded? The slight differences from 455 to 455 can cause this but it's an easy fix. Mag sure the back side of the mag well spacer isn't touching. If it is file it a little to remove enough material to allow for clearance. If you still get bowing use a round file on the inside edge of the front screw hole.

I had my first batch done for these from atlas works. Once I got them in hand my local machinist produced a batch even cheaper and better out of aluminum and blued steel (steel ones are long gone). I will no longer offer these once the 2 I got on eBay are gone as I did this mainly to satisfy those who wanted them (got banned here for month because of it too lol). IMO comparing the steel to aluminum, there is no comparison as steel is far superior but costs more. If I could do it all over again I would of went with steel only!

The mag well spacer is removed as I'm using a 17 HMR barrel. Only the front is pillared as it's the Varmint Precision Trainer in a Manners stock. It lies flush until I torque the screws. Then it bows in front of the trigger guard. I'll try filing the inside edge of the front hole when I get home.