• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ATVs/Quads

Slapchop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2009
New York
I'm interested in getting a quad. I'm looking to do some trail riding. Nothing crazy like you see on tv but more laid back, moderate stuff.

Needs to have a 650 motor, 4x4 and a winch at the very least. I've heard that when they run, Polaris bikes are great but they can be temperamental and that their customer service is sucky. Yamaha's I hear are very reliable and hardly ever break down. The Can-Am's look like beasts but I don't know too much about them.

Anyone have any experience with the above listed ATVs? Are there any good sources of information online where I could go to do some research (i.e. website/forums)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: ATVs/Quads

Doesn't Can-Am and Polaris use Rotax motors?
If so those motors are generaly pretty tough.

All of my experience regarding quads is outdated. Tried, proven, and tested, all being 15+ years ago... Yamaha was the way to go.

Polaris 6x6 was what to run from.

Honda was pretty much equivalent with Yamaha, though the repairs were more involved for the same issue. Wheel bearings and seals required more teardown/rebuild than Yammy's, so the job took a bit longer. Other than that, reliable and performable as all hell. Back in the land of 'gearjammers' that is.

Now with the advent of gearless belt-drives and whatnot, I'll pass the torch to the recent'r edumacateder.

The "tried, tested, and proven" was for year-round ranch work in Northern BC. Climate to which a block-heater was necessary for about 5 months of the year, and an average of 10k working miles a year. 5 Year life span was normal.

For what your looking for Honda hands down the most reliable by far.They use a regular transmission not a belt.You will be giving up performance but for casual riding you won't miss it.

I know you didnt mention it slapchop, but Id go test drive a honda foreman or rubicon. Reliable as hell (we have had multiple over 20k miles) and unless you want to drag race it, enough power to get you in more than enough trouble. My .02.

Yamaha is good but expensive compared to others in the same class. Honda will be very reliable and you can find some good prices. Kawasaki Brute Force will get you where you want to go PDQ. Cam-Am is outrageous in price and Polaris currently has not so good reviews.

After much research last year I bought a new Brute Force and the fun factor is there when you want it.

I've owned just about all of the things. Best and most reliable bike was my 2006 Honda Foreman 4x4. Did alot of work to it, custom lift, 29.5 outlaws, tons and tons of money. Got rid of it and bought a Kawasaki KFX700 that is fun as hell, but not 4x4. The auto trans are nothing to worry about these days with any brand, unless you get into massive tires, they have all the kinks worked out. Brute Force 750, Polaris sportsman 700-800, Can-Am (outlander or renegade) would be my top ATV choices. I'm not yet a fan of the Polaris 850 Sportsman, fast and fun but they are still working the kinks out.

If you have anyone that might be riding with you, look into a side x side. The Polaris RZR comes to mind here, perfect trail/fun machine. It is next on my "to get" list.

I still have a 2003 Honda Rancher 4x4, beat to hell but I can't kill it.

I can say I have never been a big fan of Yamaha. Bunch of my friends have the new Grizzly, and for the riding we do, they just can't cut it. My old foreman would walk circles around it with much less motor. The Big Bear 400 with IRS is a tried and true machine with some new aspects to it, many people are going for it now days.

I'm into the fast stuff now (drag racing, etc), but I've been around just about all of them. Just got done rebuilding a Kawi 750 brute, and have lots of others. PM me if you have any questions about bikes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't Can-Am and Polaris use Rotax motors?
If so those motors are generaly pretty tough. </div></div>

Can-Am uses the Rotax motors. They are a beast of a motor, TONS of power (more than you need). They are picky if you go to getting water in them. Not many of them come out running after a drown-out.

Polaris uses their own twin cylinder design (not a V twin) that has a sound of its own; some like it, some dont. Lots of power to be had here too.

I know some wont agree but I have owned Honda most of my life. Up until about 3 years ago I bought a Kawasaki Teryx. Its not an ATV, It's a UTV. Its a 750 Vtwin and I had it upgraded by Dragonfire racing they put the stage 3 840 big block kit. Its a beast on a track, trail and around my farm. I use it to get to targets, run around the farm checking out cattle. Its only downside is... its loud. Thats on me though. Its reliable as anything we have had on this farm, John Deere, Polaris, Yamaha, and so on. Consider Kawasaki in your search. They have been reliable for me. I have never had a problem, even with the aftermarket parts. I suggest a dry cell battery in any atv/utv. The stock batteries last about 3 years and will die on you if they arent constantly ran. A dry cell will last about 15 years.

14j3lls.jpg

It has a different cage on it now, and racing seats so I could use the 4 point harness.

I like Honda the most and had a 650 Kawasaki for many years. A 650 is a better with heavy loads, two up riding, towing, etc.

4x4 and winch both must haves.

I have a 2009 raptor 700 and I love it. Its not a 4x4 obviously, but I buy quads to have fun on, not for work or utility purposes. I have had hondas, kawasakis, and yamahas. I have never had a bad experience with any, but my raptor outperforms any of the others I have owned. My uncle owns a Polaris 700 4x4 and he seems to like it alot. I have been going back and forth about selling my raptor to fund for a rifle, but I havent completely talked myself into it yet.

I would seriously consider the HONDA before making a move towards a Can Am or Polaris. The yamaha product line is fairly decent but when it comes time for repairs at the dealership - you will be waiting.
I am a HONDA guy...always owned them always will. I have owned a few Yamaha's, Suzuki's and a Can Am renegade that I nearly had to perform fellatio to get rid of....never again..Bombardier sucks for service and parts availability. I also owned a seadoo jet boat..so the shitty service from Bombardier is not limited to the ATV line. They are overpriced and have become more of a "look at me..its a Rotax"..but my Trx700 has smoked my friends 800HO Renegade more times than we can count. Take your time and decide - make sure you ride everything and line up multiple options for service incase you need an alternative.

Thanks for the help guys. While the concept is cool, I don't think I'd have any use for a side by side since most of my buddies have their own machines.

I guess, I'd want a min 650 motor just to have the power there if I need it. I'm sure that is probably more than enough for what I'd be using it but I'd rather not get bogged down in a mud hole and be able to keep up. This thing will be strictly for play.

Both the Can-Am's and the Bruteforce's look like they can handle just about anything from what I'm learning. Looking at some of the videos online, people put these bikes thru hell and back. Seems like a good time though.

Pretty sick shit in this video.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/35KWYnUgrxs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/35KWYnUgrxs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I currently own a sportsman 850 xp. It's fun and I haven't had any issues yet. I've owned a few hondas my favorite being the rincon. It is fun as hell a real wheely machine. My next quad will be an outlander. There has to be a reasons that they and the Polaris are always top picks. I think anymore these days any of the big manufactures can't afford to let a pOS out the door. GL in your search

Find a used Honda Rincon.

PROS:
Best ride 4 wheel independant
4x4
sealed automatic tranny with torque converter like a car
water cooled
660 cc
60-65mph top speed
nice big seat
super reliable and bullet proof
2005 and newer has 4 wheel disc brakes
2006 and newer have fuel injection

CON:
if in deep mud or long intervals @ slow speed, the lack of a super low gear will make it seem underpowered or high geared.

All in all, this machine will do anything very good and last a long time. Its plush ride will allow all day rides without fatigue.

I have a Yamaha 660 Grizzly and have loved it, owned a 660 Raptor before that,Hondas and Suzukis and Yamahas before that.
I used to work at a Yamaha,Kawasaki and Suzuki dealership and have seen the birth of the four wheeler when everyone still had three wheelers.
I would recommend that you stick with the Big 4 (Yamaha,Kawasaki,Suzuki,Honda) They all are good to go and refined and the companies stand behind their products.
I cannot say the same for Polaris four wheelers, I have known of many that are just sittin in a garage broke down and needing parts they can't find or a dealer that can fix them.
If they have improved recently thats great, but they have a long road ahead of them to convince many people their products and company are up to the big fours standard.
If you are considering another brand of four wheeler, just make sure that you have a support network of dealerships and a company that stands behind it's product and a company that will not be going anywhere.
JMHO and not trying to insult your four wheeler.
.....SmokeRolls

I have a 2001 Polaris 6x6 ranger. Still runs but was a lot of trouble. Carb kept sticking and I had to bypass the fuel pump control and replace the pump. If I did it again would have gotten a different UTV. But it did match my 6x6 Duece and 6x6 Pinzgauer. Also still have my Honda fourtrax 4x4 86' model. Still goin' strong. This is my range runner, going out to the 1000 yard targets. If I get another UTV it will be a Honda.

hondas will run nearly forever. the problem as stated before with thier big bike is no low gear. plus that bike itself is smaller in size. i believe it built on a foreman from. can-ams will haul ass.......once. if you buy a can-am buddy up with the warranty guy. way more power than the chassis can handle.

i'm a yamaha guy. this is an 07 grizzly 700 on 30" mudzillas. its been through hell, alot more than casual ridin farm work type bike will see, for the past 4 years and i havent had the first problem.

DSC_0552.jpg

DSC_0539.jpg

DSC_0543.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would recommend that you stick with the Big 4 (Yamaha,Kawasaki,Suzuki,Honda) They all are good to go and refined and the companies stand behind their products. </div></div>

What he said.
Take a look at atvtv.com, you will find reviews of the big brands year by year.

I've got a 2007 Polaris 800cc X2. Fuel injected and electronic ignition. This is the big one with the box in the rear - also dumps - and allows 2 up riding. I've worked it hard, it always starts and it's never been stuck. It's a beast with tons of power and torque. What I like best is the ride! I can run across plowed fields at 40 MPH and it just sucks it up and floats across the rough spots. Oh, the selectable drive is nice too. Turf mode is rear wheel (limited slip); Rear drive mode is rear wheel (Posi-track); All Wheel mode (4x4)

The turf mode is nice because it doesn't tear up the lawn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smboudreaux</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> this is an 07 grizzly 700 on 30" mudzillas. its been through hell, alot more than casual ridin farm work type bike will see, for the past 4 years and i havent had the first problem.
</div></div>

That is radical.

How about a picture if it fording water with just the snorkels exposed?

I would stay away from polaris. They don't stand behind their products and are always changing parts mid year and are dicontinued. I work in a shop and there is always something going wrong with them. not to mention you have to buy specialty tools to work on them since they use every fastener known to man