• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Audiobook Services

Sportin Wood

Team Hardwood
Minuteman
  • Jul 17, 2010
    The Woods, WA
    What is everyone using for their Audiobook services? I have a 45 minute commute both ways everyday and I've used that time to catch up on the Everyday Sniper podcast. I need something that is IOS and can be streamed via Bluetooth over the vehicle speakers. Thanks.

I would reckon that the universal and overwhelmingly popular answer will be Audible. Especially considering it’s linked to amazon.

Reactions: Alphatreedog
    I listen to a lot of audiobooks and they're usually from Audible. They have the biggest library, I think, and it's painless to use. They do push feminist, lgbt and other things I'm not interested in, so I've started looking for alternatives, but they do carry just about everything.

There are some free sources of public domain books. Do a search for free audiobooks. The only problem I've found in the past is that some of these have narration that leaves something to be desired. Of course that can also be true of Audible; be sure and listen to a sample before buying.

They do push feminist, lgbt and other things I'm not interested in, so I've started looking for alternatives, but they do carry just about everything.

Is the library big enough to keep away from those types of books? I am looking for more educational, psychology type books. I have the Kindle App and have been reading books from Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. I'm not a fan of the feminist, lgbt movement, or democratic candidate books...

Is the library big enough to keep away from those types of books? I am looking for more educational, psychology type books. I have the Kindle App and have been reading books from Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. I'm not a fan of the feminist, lgbt movement, or democratic candidate books...
    It's just the stuff they load up their home page with. There's plenty of good books available. Just go to audible.com, I think you can browse through the titles without being a member.

Unless you are actively looking up those topics on amazon you’ll rarely get them recommended. The home page will always have the best sellers/popular uploads though which are more inclined to be subjects you aren’t interested in. Or at least that’s how it used to be. I got tired of paying for the services so now I just listen to sports radio during commutes.

Under the Audible contract, you get 1 free book and 2 free original books a month. If you want more books, do you pay for each book?
    You get 1 “credit” every month for a book. If you want more you can buy them outright but they get stupid expensive. I remember once I was going to buy a Stephen King novel and it was in upwards of $25. If you pick long books and only use it for commutes you shouldn’t really have an issue with 1 token per month though. Example: IT by King is about 45 hours of audio.

Go to your local Library, they can hook you up with E books. My wife downloads books to her I pad to read or audio books to her phone, all for free. You may have to be on a waiting list for popular titles, just like if you went into your library and checked out a book physically.

Go to your local Library, they can hook you up with E books. My wife downloads books to her I pad to read or audio books to her phone, all for free. You may have to be on a waiting list for popular titles, just like if you went into your library and checked out a book physically.
    I actually meant to mention this. A lot of library’s offer this now. I’ve never used the service but a lady I work with does.

I use audibles. Yes, it's owned by Amazon. Yes, they have some liberal shit on there. But...they also have some very conservative stuff as well. They're a business, so they carry what sells.

That being said, they also have a lot of "The Great Courses" on audible, for way less than taking the course through TGC's website (you just don't get college credit obviously). So, if you're looking for educational books, they have quite a few, from all different political perspectives. I really enjoyed "The Greco Roman Moralists" which was a series of lectures about Stoicism. Very in depth. Very interesting (both from a historical sense as well as a religious perspective).

Also have listened to quite a few of Sowell's books (Conservative Economist). And if you're into tech they carry a lot of the books that deal with tech trends and such ("Who owns the Future?; Life after Google", for example). If you have a long commute, audibles is definitely worth it IMHO. You get one "credit" a month for a book, but you can buy a bundle of 3 credits for $33. Then you can do the math; if a book is less than $11, buy it out right. If it is $25-$40, use your credits. Easy peasy.

BTW, also enjoyed "The Laws of Human Nature" -Greene, since you mentioned liking psychology type books...

Reactions: Sgt47

I will look into this!! Thank you!

You get one "credit" a month for a book, but you can buy a bundle of 3 credits for $33. Then you can do the math; if a book is less than $11, buy it out right. If it is $25-$40, use your credits. Easy peasy.

I did not know of this option. That makes Audible a more viable option...

What is everyone using for their Audiobook services? I have a 45 minute commute both ways everyday and I've used that time to catch up on the Everyday Sniper podcast. I need something that is IOS and can be streamed via Bluetooth over the vehicle speakers. Thanks.

the LIBRARY

I have joined two libraries

local City and County

Lots of E books and downloadable Audio Books

Heck, we already pay for it