• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AUG vs MSAR

Gasitman

Out of work pan handler
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2010
Washington
Are there substantial difference between to two of them to justify the price difference?

CDNN has the msar for $899 with a 20" barrel, and the styer's are running $2299 msrp.

I am just curious to see if anyone has had or shot both of them.

Re: AUG vs MSAR

I owned an MSAR for a bit, good rifle no quality complaints. Shot the AUG cant tell you there was any striking difference between the two.

Consider that a chunk of the AUGs price is linked to costs of importation and distribution along with tax and exchange rates and you will see the price reflects those things. Dont let that in any way suggest the MSAR is a lesser rifle because its cheaper. MSAR goes from Florida to CDNN to you in WA.

got a link for the lazy and weak-minded
grin.gif
. I couldn't seem to find it in the catalog.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I owned an MSAR for a bit, good rifle no quality complaints. Shot the AUG cant tell you there was any striking difference between the two.

Consider that a chunk of the AUGs price is linked to costs of importation and distribution along with tax and exchange rates and you will see the price reflects those things. Dont let that in any way suggest the MSAR is a lesser rifle because its cheaper. MSAR goes from Florida to CDNN to you in WA.

Sabre Defense builds the AUG here in the US,,,at least they used to

</div></div>

I'd love to have one of either. Its one of those "shits and giggles" kinda firearms, like the PS90.

thats a good question, when I owned an A3 I compared it to my USR and my MSAR, hard to tell some of the components apart. but in reference to your question Im not sure, If your going to buy an A3, now's the time considering Sabre's legal issues

Thats what I kept, a 16 inch MSAR, sold the AUG's and bought it from CDNN $999.00

i always wanted one just to have it...

and also to put it on the shooting bench 12 over from where i am sitting to give the mall ninja's something to look at instead of bothering me while i shoot..

bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gasitman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there substantial difference between to two of them to justify the price difference?

CDNN has the msar for $899 with a 20" barrel, and the styer's are running $2299 msrp.

I am just curious to see if anyone has had or shot both of them. </div></div>

Anybody else find this price? I can't seem to find it ANYWHERE!

Gas I have shot the AUG and only handled the MSAR. That being said I have bought an MSAR E4 and it is waiting for me at home. I was on the waiting list for the new Steyr but once the E4 came out I saw no reason to jump higher for the name.

FWIW

Either way it's a bullpup and one of those neat to own guns.

Pat you usually have to call CDNN for the lowest price and current inventory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patsim</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gasitman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there substantial difference between to two of them to justify the price difference?

I am just curious to see if anyone has had or shot both of them. </div></div>

Anybody else find this price? I can't seem to find it ANYWHERE! </div></div>

Yeah, just call them, but be aware, they are all 20" barrels, which kinda defeats the purpose of the short bullpup design in my opinion.

There is a dealer that is stocking some 6.8 for $1699, but no one has spare barrels for either of the designs. So you can go the cheap route, but then you have to deal with the longer barrel.

Can someone elaborate on this issue with Sabre?

the 20 inch model is still short overall, gains are in velocity over the 16 incher

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 20 inch model is still short overall, gains are in velocity over the 16 incher </div></div>

I know what your saying, but I am in a state that a SBR is not allowed, and these seem to be the shortest rifle I can buy other than getting an AR pistol, which I do not care for.

I have looked at the FNH F2000, and would buy one if they allowed their rebate for everyone, it would get me down to the price of the MSAR, but it is only active service members and not vets.

Sabre Defense builds the AUG A3 for Steyr in the US, MSAR is a totally different manufacturer, they build a clone of the AUG and the latest gen versions they do well, I believe they're a bargain right now @ a grand

Someon posted on another forum that they have been trying to get ahold of the MSAR company in NC, and no one has answered the phones in weeks. Kind of reminds me of Charles Daley defense.

Don't know about problems w/ MSAR, they responded to email from me last summer. They didn't have spare barrels at the time which I didn't think was a good sign. Here's a pic of a LWRC M6A2 w/ 10.5" SBR config vs. 16" MSAR.

sbr_vs_bullpup_2.jpg

I've got a MSAR and it's a blast. When I bought mine they would only accept factory mags or AUG mags w/modification. I've used it in a couple Tac Carbine matches and it rocks in the narrow hallways of the "house" stages. Mag changes aren't as quick as the AR but it's rare I need to make one w/the 42 rounder (most stages aren't that long).

The only gripe I really had was the trigger. Like most bullpups it was pretty bad. A buddy of mine and his brother had bought the Trigger Tamer for their rifles and had an extra (discount when you purchased three). I bought their extra one and it made a world of difference. It smoothed out the trigger and greatly reduced the felt pull weight (IIRC TT claims 30% reduction).

The reason I bought the MSAR is I had always wanted an AUG. I did not want to pay for the Steyr and the MSAR fills my "want" just fine.

That is exactly why I want one like the pick Mike posted. We are not allowed to have SBR in Washington state. I like the FNH PS90, but it is still to long in the tooth if you know what I mean.

I had an MSAR... Good quality, fit/finish. The only bad thing that I can say is that it did NOT like steel cased ammo...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRS_Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had an MSAR... Good quality, fit/finish. The only bad thing that I can say is that it did NOT like steel cased ammo... </div></div>

I've heard of them having problems with steel cased ammo at first, but after a good 200 round break-in, they run fine. How many rounds did you have through yours?

I wish the barrel assemblies were readily available. The $899 at CDNN is killing me, but I do not want a 20" barrel. I hate to have to pay to cut one down, then I am at the same price of other locations.

Ratworx has 16" models, but they're the E4 so more $. There are several on gunbroker but it might be cheaper to get that barrel cut. If you're really ready to buy, go join the usaaug.com forums and watch their classifieds.

I spoke to the guy at RatWorks last week and he advised that Microtec has reorg'd and will be coming out with a new line of MSAR's. I picked up a railed MSAR a couple weeks ago and can't decide on an optic. I'm going to switch it to left handed for Chicken Lady since she is a southpaw.

I have the 16" and couldn't be happier with it. just wish it took ar mags, but i bought mine just before the a4 came out. the MSAR mags are good also
mine has been perfectly reliable, and accurate
impressed with the quality of the quick change barrel assembly

Shot a buddys at the range a few times helped him get his EO zeroed.
MSAR is "cool" not bad on weight, but the mag change is a lil bit of a pain and trigger its ugly. Havent shot one with the trigger updated but Im sure it would be better. Also his seemed to like the 69smk's best out of everything we tried.

There is a "trigger pack" available for AUGs that also works for the MSAR. I'm hoping they really re-org under bankruptcy and get production back up. A lot of people are looking to stock up on spare parts and magazines.

I have a 16" MSAR and it is a great rifle. I did a couple of mods to it. First i removed the tulip flash hider and replaced it with a PWS muzzle brake, and also installed this thing in the trigger group (NOT trigger tamer) but an improved version that is metal and not plastic to improve trigger pull which significantly helped. Overall the rifle is spot on, never gets dirty and runs like a champ. To have the velocity/performance of a 16" barrel out of a rifle that is the same length as my 10.5" SBR makes the best of both worlds.

Optics preferences? I don't really want to buy one of the Rat's extended rails and I pucker a little thinking about a scope witbout back up sights.

5.56mm really needs a 20 inch barrel. The fact that an AUG makes a 20 inch not be all that long *is* the benefit of a bull pup.

I have 16 and 20 inch AUGs, and I would not go out of my way to spend extra money to get a 16 inch barrel.

will that NATO conversion (like CDNN sells) work on the MSAR?
if that would convert my MSAR to m-16 pattern mags, I would bite

I have two MSARs: an STG-556 Gen.3 and Gen.4. I've got about 2500 rounds through one and the second is a safe queen but has been fired a bit. Never a problem with either. The rifle handles very quickly, is lightweight, well balanced, and "aims itself" for lack of a better way of putting it. I installed a trigger mod called the Neu-Trigger that adds a small metal 'shim' to the trigger to eliminate the plastic-on-plastic rub of the hammer and sear which brought the trigger to a respectable 4.5 lbs. pull. I'm actually planning on using one for 3-Gun matches.

I have an acquaintence who I share a shooting range corporate membership with who has a Steyr AUG A2 and we have exchanged rifles several times. They are very VERY similar. Steyr magazines can be modified with a dremel tool and 5 minutes of time to fit the MSAR and the MSAR mags fit the Steyr with no modification. Trigger packs are interchangable. Otherwise, the rifles are not interchangable parts-wise. They feel the same and fire the same to me and to my AUG owning acquaintence.

Ultimately, I bought my MSAR because I always wanted a Steyr AUG. I'm glad I bought the MSAR, I enjoy the rifle, and do not regret the purchase.

As for that 20" barrel: I have a spare, brand new 16" barrel and would be interested in a straight-up trade for a 20" if you're so inclined.

Mr.Maim

I have an original Steyr AUG imported by Interarms with the Swarovski scope/carry handle. (Yeah, I bought it when it first came out. $650.!!) It's very reliable and quite accurate for a military rifle, especially with handloads.

In addition I have ten 30 round magazines and one 43 round mag., a bayonet lug and a blank firing adaptor. It's a neat unit if a bit heavy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: litehiker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a neat unit if a bit heavy.</div></div>

Yes but the weight of the bullpup design is much better balanced than traditional style rifles. Most rifles feel front heavy to me.

seeing as how MSAR is no longer a company( all their machining tools were repoed) and are no longer supporting their warranties i would have to say Steyr is the way to go.

And as of October 20th 2010 Steyr Arms ended production of AUG A3 models after producing only 1860 examples. PJA Investments is the only seller of the "Styer AUG A3 NATO". I think that franlky, both are going to be equally difficult to get parts for in the future.

...though I just call Ratworx and get whatever I need for my MSAR.
grin.gif

I love my E4 MSAR...fire lefty and a bolt swap made my southpaw shooting possible. Run is suppressed and its great. I'd spring for another one in a 20" to serve as a DMR. Last time I checked the barrels were 1:8 and should stabilize the heavy rounds. Trigger isn't that great though.

sbr_vs_bullpup_2.jpg

Great picture!

Can anyone tell me what sights are on the LWRC please? Specifically the front one with the HK style rounded sight-post guards. Me wants!
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and also installed this thing in the trigger group (NOT trigger tamer) but an improved version that is metal and not plastic to improve trigger pull which significantly helped.</div></div>

What is it called and where do I get it?

I'd really like to know.

I tried the Trigger Tamer in the MSAR and it caused extremely frequent failures for the trigger to reset.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bedlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and also installed this thing in the trigger group (NOT trigger tamer) but an improved version that is metal and not plastic to improve trigger pull which significantly helped.</div></div>

What is it called and where do I get it? </div></div>

It's called the "Neu-Trigger". Google that name and you'll get to http://www.neu-trigger.com/ . It works on both the MSAR and the Steyr AUG and works wonders for the polymer trigger packs of these rifles. There is a range report here at USAAUG.com as well.

http://www.usaaug.com/showthread.php?t=1181&highlight=trigger

Mr.Maim

Edit: forgot to mention that I have one on my MSAR and it dropped the trigger pull to a linear 4.5 lbs.