• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Aussie hunting trip!

brit airborne!

Private
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2010
Christchurch New Zealand
url]

Re: Aussie hunting trip!

Do you eat those things, use the hide???? All I know is what I seen on Crocodile Dundee... That lloks like you had a super hunt. Great pics.

Wow, looks like a hell of a lot of fun. Any huntin trip where you get to shoot that many animals has got to be a blast.

Thanks for the comments, as for what we did with them..
Once we take off the legs at the knees (by use of large bolt croppers) we gut and weigh them, any under weight wont be touched by the meat contractors, so end up being a quick feed for the dogs used for pig bait. we nailed over 90 on the first night, pretty easy when they out number the rabbits and all love to stop and stare when you hit em with the spotlight, hence why it's so easy to nail the headshots, again the contactors wont touch them if they're hit below the jaw line. Also of note, you tend to find joey's in most of the pouches, rule of thumb is: you pull em out, put them on the dirt and see if they're old enough to bounce off into the night, if not.. thumbs down.

As for use of meat, most of it gets shipped off to Eastern Europe, gotta love those russians! the rest goes into dog chow or jerky.

The dog although looking the part, was known as a coward. As in the pigs and other dogs ran one way, he ran the other. Even when we had a couple of large boars safely in the trap, he wouldn't go near the wire fence, prefered to hide under the truck.. think my cousins ended up 'getting rid' of him in the end, didn't ask how, cute as dog though, just prefered the company of humans to pigs!

Didn't know people ate roo meat, do you make decent money off it?

Any pictures of the other dogs in action? Sorry to hear about the other dog, sounds just like my big girl who is supposed to be mean but is a giant sissy...i can't get rid of her though, too sweet.

Got a box of roo jerky with me right now.. and how's it taste? Like shit!
smile.gif
actually, end of the world situation, I'd end up getting pretty hooked!

as for the dog, I became pretty attached to it, unfortunately I'm guessing it didn't fair to well after I left, from what they were hinting at, they most likely wouldn't and couldn't waste time/food and truck space on a dog that's unable get them pig meat to sell.

Sorry, no more photos of the dogs (you can see him again in the truck photo, he's cowering under the ute).

I'll try to throw on a couple on some of the other 'wildlife' I woke up to sleeping by the creek. (only i'm not having much luck 'adding' photo's to this topic).

To be honest you just drive around with the windshield folded down, passenger has the spotlight/rifle at the ready (only .223 max cal required) within minutes we'd have a constant flow of 'giant rats' stopping between 50 - 150 yards infront of our ute.. you honestly can't miss, once the back of the truck runs out of hanging space, you head over to your closest pig trap, gut all the roo's, use the entrails to create a 'unique' stench inside the trap, then head out for another batch. Almost to easy, furthur more it was a one off, prefer a bit more of a challenge these days.

I have family there as well that have been after to me to get over there to do that hunt! They do the same thing but at times they also get money from the government for "erradicating" the roos at times. They sell the meat and they take hunters on trips at times as well. I need to get the wife ove there for a vacation so i can do some head shooting!

The joey in the pouch thing sucks though! Wont lie, as i get older im a tad on the mellower side when it comes to baby critters! LOL!

I was told that the eyes don't reflect? True?

When you hit em with the spotlight, you just see two beaming white eyes staring right back at ya! fish in a barrel would be harder, no lie.

On this trip, just Grey Roo's, Pigs and Yabbies.. (free luch every night as we bedded down by the creek, just got to watch their pincers, like little grey lobsters on crack).

That would be really fun, thanks for sharing the pictures I didn't know you could hunt kangaroos.

I had kangaroo jerky for the first time earlier today! My brother just spent two weeks there and brought some back. The jerky was pretty gamey and not something I would eat on a regular basis but at least I can say I tried it.