• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Austin TX range

Re: Austin TX range

Sir,
I am not being a smart ass by any means at all. But I recommend you get a laser range finder, and start hitting the cafes and coffee shops there in town and talk to some land owners. There are some guys out there that own 10,000+ acres that you could easily use for a 1000 yard or more range. You might want to sweeten the deal by promising to fix fences, feed, or other farm chores. Its worth a shot. And again I'm not being a smart ass (it worked once for me)

Thanks. I actually know several land owners, but my family's land is too far and the others aren't necessarily open enough or don't have proper backing for 1000 yard high power target practice.

And thanks for the tiger valley recommendation. I actually saw that last night and think it may be a good fit for what I'm looking for.

We're shooting the Texas State match at Camp Swift this weekend, Across the Course, at Bastrop just East of Austin.

I think there are some other shooters that work something out to shoot there.

What distance do they have there? And people have worked something out to shoot on the base (I think it's still a base?)? Technically speaking I'm still an officer in the AF (IRR), so if so, that's promising.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackayed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">www.texasshootingrange.com
It's in Liberty Hill , just north west of Austin
1000yrds but it's not quite open yet </div></div>
Damn, thats gonna be sweet. Its even closer to me than Eagle Peak, and a fraction of the drive to Tiger Valley..

Anyone know what kind of skeet setup they will have? Hopefully some nice towers and multi-station setup. Between that and the 1000 yard range, it'll be like my own little Utopia right next to the house.

I have been looking for a long distance range for some time.

BTW, I am good at fixing fences, and other ranch chores.

Looking forward to the Liberty Hill range.

Does anyone have any more info on Camp Swift?

Just got an email from this place saying they'll be opening on July 12. Better yet, they'll have cameras for the 1000 yard range. Those won't be done day 1, but they're coming!

Went and checked it out today. Pretty damned nice facility. Skeet towers, covered concrete shooting benches, targets at 50, 100, 250, 500, 750 and 1000 yards, and tactical bays (not finished yet). They told me to shoot 1000 you have to qualify, by shooting a 6" group at 500 yards. They will be using steel targets out past 250 yards- AR500, swingers, etc. The clubhouse they got is kind of small but nice- big screen TV, running water. Memberships are 20% off until Saturday, got mine after spending a few hours there. They wont let you shoot 1000 without a membership either. Will definitely be my new shootin hole..
Here are some spy shots...
IMG00005-20100729-1736.jpg

IMG00004-20100729-1735.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://texasshootingrange.com/ but with a membership you only save $2 and the price of a membership is pointless</div></div>

Unless something has changed or I'm missing something, you save $10 with a membership, so it pays for itself in 10 outings...

Been meaning to get out to this place, TXIPSC just had a 3 gun match there today with some longish stages, supposedly up to 800 yards. All I keep hearing is this place is the cats meow. Need to git up to visit...

I plan to go this weekend. I do not like having to buy a membership to shoot to a 1000yds but I guess you got to pay to play... I am more interested in the bays, it will be nice to be able to engage multiple targets with multiple weapons at speed... I need to go before someone screws this up!

All Central Texas Long Range Shooters

Tried the new Liberty Hill Range yesterday. Fired the very painless qualification procedure (2 rounds each at 250 and 500 yards while being observed by an RO). If you know the drop values for your rifle and ammo its a no brainer. Afterwards got to bang some steel at 750 yards but could not engage the 1000 yard target as it was hiding in the weeds.

My overall impression of the range is that it has the potential to be an excellent shooting facility. With what is in now in place and their plans for future capabilities there will be something for everyone. The Range owners are friendly and open to suggestion on ways to improve the operations and safety of the range. The shooting benches are sturdy and if you want to shoot from the prone there is room between the benches However, I would suggest using a shooting mat.

Its still a work in progress, for instance, the number of steel targets for the 1000 yard range is limited due to late deliver by a vendor.

Bottom line, its another location for us central Texas shooters to practice our sport. I'll still go to Tiger Valley (2 hr drive)for open shoots but Liberty Hill is available 7 days a week and is only a 45 minute drive.

CDAT

Went out there this past weekend, they have a few Larue sniper targets set up that I shot for a while. The benches are SOLID and I like the layout. I'm just happy that there is a steel friendly long distance range now!