• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Australian Sniper Kill At 3079 yards

Ring

Rifle Instructor
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Medina, Ohio
sites.google.com
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...paign=Feed:+TheFirearmBlog+(The+Firearm+Blog)

An Australian sniper killed a Taliban commander at an incredible 3079 yards (2815 meters) with a Barrett M82A1. The Daily Telegraph reports ...

Two marksmen using Barrett M82A1 50 calibre rifles simultaneously fired. The bullets were six seconds in the air. One killed the Taliban commander. It is not known for certain which sniper fired the fatal shot.

As the bullet yawed through the thin air on a windless morning, GPS aids measured the distance at 2815m. That amounts to 2 1/2 times the length of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The targeted Taliban would not have heard the gunfire.

Re: Australian Sniper Kill At 3079 yards

Pretty amazing considering the cone of accuracy at that distance on even the best M82 and ammo is probably 7.5ft. Then again, this is also why command fire increases the odds.

Hopefully both of them hit the bastard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...688#Post3687688</div></div>

Access denied. </div></div>

Law enforcement eyes only

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: green338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...688#Post3687688</div></div>

Law enforcement eyes only </div></div>

Maybe this should be kept in the law enforcement section of the forum then, instead of the public part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 78steeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: green338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...688#Post3687688</div></div>

Law enforcement eyes only </div></div>

Maybe this should be kept in the law enforcement section of the forum then, instead of the public part.</div></div>

It's in the news, I think we'll be fine.

Why post a link in the public section if the public cant access it? It's obviously already posted in the law enforcement section?

OPSEC
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty amazing considering the cone of accuracy at that distance on even the best M82 and ammo is probably 7.5ft. Then again, this is also why command fire increases the odds.</div></div>

ill bet closer to a 15 or 20ft circle if you tossed 20 rounds...

I think it is one of those embellished stories that the UK/commonwealth media has been reporting in the last years...

Might eventually happen? Yes, but not likely in the way suggested by the article.

Yes, I have it on very good info that is did happen. It was a Barrett M82 with a S&B scope, firing NM140 ammo and utilising a JBM ballistics computer. This is from a shooter in the unit that made the shot. Australian media generally dont release this kind of info, they seem to think its not something we need to hear. There has been other long shots by Aussie snipers( not over 3000yds but still long) that never got reported on.

I have a hard time believing it too. Anything is possible but a 50BMG at that distance drops like a rock. I don`t think he had enough dope in the scope to make the shot at that distance. It would need at least a 2 degree base which doesn`t come on any Barrett or any other firearm I`m aware of. He might of used the Barrett adjustable rings which would help but still hard to believe.

Would people find it so hard to believe it was a US sniper that made the shot? I dont think anyone, especially the shooters, would say there wasnt a fair bit of luck involved in that shot, but that doesnt mean it didnt happen.

Of course it is possible, but when the dispersion of the shots is of such magnitude then a whole lot more than a "fair bit" of luck must be involved, no matter how skilled the shooters.

To be fair, I read again the telegraph article and the reporter really did not suggest otherwise.

If its unbelievable then don't believe it. Not likely anyone would convince all the skeptics, aside from posting the snipers picture, birth certificate, photo next to weapon, photo next to round at apex, photo next to round impacting, photo next to laser range finder then a photo through laser range finder with the days newspaper in the fov. Maybe it didn't happen, but more than likely it did. Just because you wouldn't be able to do it doesn't mean "someone" can't, given good conditions or just plain ole good luck. Sure the barret is about as accurate as a 22lr but crazier things have happened out in the field

We took some shots at guys around those distances. Ran out of elevation on the optic, had to use a large boulder above as a POA. Adjustments were made off of that boulder. Most weren't close, but one API round landed in the middle of a group of bad guys. One caught pieces of the round in the gut, but he ran off and my guys don't know if he died or not. Would have been the record if he did and could verify it. Getting someone out there to verify it would have been impossible though, unless the Kiowa boys would have been on station and could have dropped in to take some pictures.

It's possible, just takes a shit ton of luck with the 107, fun either way though.

@3079 yards...... I'd say luck was a huge factor. But I'd rather be lucky than good any day.

I find it's quite believable. In fact I've had a professional acquaintance with some of these guys; I've been waiting for awhile for this to be publicly released. Last I had heard they were still working on confirming it.

A lot of folks that have never been to Afghanistan have a hard time understanding just how long a shot can be and how common it is to take them. Afghanistan is an amazing place to shoot ELR. The high altitudes, barren terrain and seemingly endless supply of shitheads make it the perfect environment for creating and breaking long range records.

Quite frankly I think U.S. military has fallen a little behind the power curve in regards to ELR. How many U.S. sniper schools are producing snipers that can push 7.62 1400-1600m? How many schools have facilities that allow snipers to take a m107 out to +3000m? The answer is very few. Why? Because most schools are still teaching 10yr old doctrine on 20yr old ranges. For the most part that leaves the snipers to figure out ELR on their own while in country. Training snipers to shoot 800-1000m max is just not going to cut it. The average engagement range for our team was just a hair over 1500m, with several shots recorded over +2000m. Many schools are starting to catch up but the Australians and the Brits are ahead and it shows.

My hats off to these gents for sure, a lot of things got to come together for shots like this. It's not every day you find yourself in the right spot at the right time with good weather and solid PID. Just making a shot is fairly impressive but through in the hassle of confirming a long kill like that can be a huge pain in the ass.

Respect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@3079 yards...... I'd say luck was a huge factor. But I'd rather be lucky than good any day. </div></div>

Luck/chance (also commonly known as "hit probability") is certainly a factor at ELR like these, first round hits are rare. Methods like integrated count downs are designed to increase that likely hood. Also at these ranges you can combine multiple shooters, while taking multiple shots.

With a time of flight a little over 6.5 seconds, a good shooter and get 3 or 4 rounds in the air down range before the first round even arives at the target.

Most of the luck is just having every thing else work out.

I would say 85% of our shots were over 1500m. First round hits were pretty much non existent so we utilized the multiple shot method and dual weapon engagement. One that first round hits, the cockroaches would scatter and a second shot wasn't possible. PID on bad guys was non stop, but being able to effectively engage them was the problem. Either they were too close to a structure so we couldn't call in air or use mortars, or they were out of our rifles effective range.

They started in range when we first got there, but soon learned we had a new weapon to reach out and touch them. XM2010

After watching bad guys day in and out that were beyond the 2010, we started humping the 107's with us every time we were in the mountains. That pushed them back even further allowing our guys in the valley to do what they needed to do. It got to a point were our BC wanted us to stop taking shots because the bad guys wouldn't get close enough to play anymore.

I wish we would have had a good ballistic program to allow some more effective ELR shots and had some real training on ELR to supplement what we were trying. Mostly it was the program we had on the Iphone, dope we could gather when able, and trial and error.

Reading wind in the valleys and shooting over multiple draws and spurs proved frustrating. I know myself and a couple of my guys stay awake at night replaying missed shots, just trying to figure out what we did wrong and how we could have done better. Anyone who is haunted by shots made, never has had a bad guy in his sights that he missed. Those are the ones that haunt you.

Glad the Aussie and Brits are getting it done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoBird</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@3079 yards...... I'd say luck was a huge factor. But I'd rather be lucky than good any day. </div></div>

Luck/chance (also commonly known as "hit probability") is certainly a factor at ELR like these, first round hits are rare. Methods like integrated count downs are designed to increase that likely hood. Also at these ranges you can combine multiple shooters, while taking multiple shots.

With a time of flight a little over 6.5 seconds, a good shooter and get 3 or 4 rounds in the air down range before the first round even arives at the target.
Most of the luck is just having every thing else work out.</div></div>

Couldn't Agree more. I don't care if it hits a rock and deflects..... As long as tango is down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a hard time believing it too. Anything is possible but a 50BMG at that distance drops like a rock. I don`t think he had enough dope in the scope to make the shot at that distance. It would need at least a 2 degree base which doesn`t come on any Barrett or any other firearm I`m aware of. He might of used the Barrett adjustable rings which would help but still hard to believe. </div></div>

Let's not forgot a 50 cal round made its way 3 miles, through a trailer parked in the infield of a NASCAR race in North Texas, and into a woman's arm.

Fired intentionally, this shot is absolutely believable. Real snipers (and even a few hobby enthusiasts LOL) know how to maximize their elevation adjustments AND holdover for extreme distance - that's why they are professional markmen. Your distance isn't maxed out by your scope elevations. Learn bullet velocities, esp. plugging in the altitude in Afghanistan into the equation - I have zero trouble believing the bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMulhern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BS!! </div></div>

RMulhern, a Sharps enthusiast like yourself should have little trouble believing this story.
The Sharps rifles where the m107’s of their day, I’m sure your familiar with the Second Battle of Adobe Walls. Billy Dixon’s 1538yard shot (even he claimed it was mostly luck) was highly controversial at the time. Now since then it has been recreated several times and proved to be more that doable. That shot was almost 140 years ago, a lot of advancements in ELR have taken place since then, 3079 is the new 1538.

How do they 'confirm' the kill. Is it when a fellow soldier sees the target go down, or does someone of higher rank have to witness it?

victory nailed it. His mentioned is the only way this is going to happen, by picking an offset aiming point and having a good spotter. Target is out of FOV with that set up. Possible? Sure. We hit the 2500YD target often with this method at Raton with M33 ball. Average group size at that range is huge though, 20-30 feet.

We were consitantly hitting 55 gallon drums with our M107 and API at 2400m when I was in the 82nd ABN a few years ago. That was with a less than ideal Larue one-piece mount and a Leupold 14x Mk4. With better optics, mounts, and ballistics programs an extra 600m would be very doable. IMHO, the Aussies and Kiwis have a much better approach to modern scouting/sniping than the vast majority of U.S. military units, and it's been showing in there success rates. Good for them!

Thats because we have a mile of politics between us the right gear. Not to mention, the "gunner" who builds ranges that don't support the capability of future weapon systems.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We were consitantly hitting 55 gallon drums with our M107 and API at 2400m when I was in the 82nd ABN a few years ago. That was with a less than ideal Larue one-piece mount and a Leupold 14x Mk4. With better optics, mounts, and ballistics programs an extra 600m would be very doable. IMHO, the Aussies and Kiwis have a much better approach to modern scouting/sniping than the vast majority of U.S. military units, and it's been showing in there success rates. Good for them!</div></div>

Nevermind, I ran it on a few different ballistic models. Actually falls into the FOV on some with a 12mil HO. Doable. Good work you bastards!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G-TAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">victory nailed it. His mentioned is the only way this is going to happen, by picking an offset aiming point and having a good spotter. Target is out of FOV with that set up. Possible? Sure. We hit the 2500YD target often with this method at Raton with M33 ball. Average group size at that range is huge though, 20-30 feet. </div></div>

Why in the world would it be for "law enforcement eyes only"
Im an ex cop and can tell ya cops are worse than a barber shop
for spreading gossip. I just dont get that part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just google it. I got a page of results, all of which I could access.

1911fan </div></div>

Right. Shouldn't have ran off at the mouth. Thx man.

Where did the second shot land?

Wonder what the strategy for two shooters would be. Would they work together to factor in the range of environmental conditions, or both just engage the target individually as if there weren't two shooters.

for two or more shooters we call it a "T" of two shot where someone is in control and counts down and the shots are fired on the "T" of two. mainly to increase the likelihood of a hit, or coordination with a raid force making their breach on the end of the countdown. Everybody likes their own kills but its more about making sure that fuck dies than personal glory.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulL01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right. Shouldn't have ran off at the mouth. Thx man. </div></div>

Not intended that way, i was just irritated that someone posted a link to an article that we'd all want to read, that was inaccessible for most of us. So I googled it, read all kinds of stuff about it, and thought I'd pass it on.
Command fire seems to be the new way of ensuring first/second round hits.

1911fa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, I have it on very good info that is did happen. It was a Barrett M82 with a S&B scope, firing NM140 ammo and utilising a JBM ballistics computer. This is from a shooter in the unit that made the shot. Australian media generally dont release this kind of info, they seem to think its not something we need to hear. There has been other long shots by Aussie snipers( not over 3000yds but still long) that never got reported on.</div></div>

I'd really like to know what this "JBM ballistics computer" is. Did they use my website?

Brad

I will see if I can get a bit more info about this, that was just what I was told. When I find out I will post the info I get

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoBird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Quite frankly I think U.S. military has fallen a little behind the power curve in regards to ELR. How many U.S. sniper schools are producing snipers that can push 7.62 1400-1600m? How many schools have facilities that allow snipers to take a m107 out to +3000m? The answer is very few. Why? Because most schools are still teaching 10yr old doctrine on 20yr old ranges. For the most part that leaves the snipers to figure out ELR on their own while in country. Training snipers to shoot 800-1000m max is just not going to cut it. The average engagement range for our team was just a hair over 1500m, with several shots recorded over +2000m. Many schools are starting to catch up but the Australians and the Brits are ahead and it shows.
</div></div>

The benefits of air strike capability.
smile.gif

Forgot to add. Even a short shot would have a good chance of bouncing into a target. A 700 grain AP at the speed of a .45ACP hitting you sideways would ruin your day.

I want to see the towel head get smoked! Why law enforcement only? It should not be a secret to smoke towel heads, let all celebrate.