• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

auto loaders and lapua brass

jeff1383

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2012
Frisco, TX
Do you think this brass is too soft for the ar platform ? Im only on 2 loadings and already starting to see faint ring marks on about 30% of the original 100. Is FL sizing to hard on this soft brass? Kinda a bummer too because this brass has retained very consistent neck tension while seating it seems. Any advise or personal experience with this brass in this platform is much appreciated.

Re: auto loaders and lapua brass

all the advantages of the lapua brass are wasted in gas guns, run winchester and you won't worry so much about loosing a case or two, not counting the savings. I ran some test in several custom AR's and there were no accuracy dif between the lapua and winchester, 1/2 MOA is 1/2 MOA.
hope this helps.

I tested this theory with my OBR... Absolutely no loss in accuracy with Winchester brass (just more prep work). Lupua brass is better left to bolt actions. Semi's are just to hard on brass. I've got 200 rds of 2x Lupua brass through my OBR and its showing to much wear for such beautiful well crafted brass.

Lapua brass is soft!? None that I have is soft. Maybe you got a bad batch. I would buy another couple hundred and try them out. I would tell you, as those above have done, you are wasting your money and your time. But there will be a few by shortly to tout the virtues of "eliminating variables that you can" blah blah and so on.
There is nothing wrong with FL sizing that is causing your problem...or percieved problem...unless you are sizing them too much with an improperly adjusted die. I would say there is a better than average chance you have your die set up to bump the shoulder too much, but that is not the fault of FL sizing or the die.

Sizing die is set up every time using a Wilson case gauge. I use a rcbs lube pad and a small spray of one shot on the case mouths. I got 8 loadings out of hornady grendel brass before the pockets started to get loose. I'm seeing loose primer pockets on the lapua brass and the ejector is leaving small chips at the base. Same powder charge, primers, and press used on my original hornady brass. I will, as advised above ditch the lapua and go back to hornady. Thanks for the help.

How do you know I wasn't referring to Lapua 223 brass? I have 2 different lots of 223 that are just as hard as my 6BR brass.
All bullshit aside you may have a bad run. I had some Lapua 6BR once that split necks like hell on the 3rd firing(a bit too hard I'd say) Something's wrong if brass won't go 3 firings without being annealed.
Lapua can make a bad batch too, its not common but it happens.

The brass in 6.5 lapua brass.....same load as hornady 6 fired cases seeing the same defects in lapua only after 2 firings ( loose primer pockets, small chips at base missing and slight case rings) I don't touch the pockets during brass prep only chamfer and de-burr.

I run Lapua in my gas gun not for the added "accuracy" but for the zero prep required compared to Winchester brass. It's the same reason I run it for my bolt guns, zero prep. You can make winchester just as good, but YOU have to do it with your time. Your going to lose your prepped Winny brass the same as your no prep Lapua.
I would care to wager that your time spent playing with Winchester brass cost you more than just buying Lapua in the first place.
I have never felt that Lapua was softer than others. It has and continues to serve me well. I do get the ring marks as well, but I think it's caused by my chamber dimensions and not soft brass. I have 5 loadings on .233 Lapua and it appears they have quite a bit of life left. The only thing that makes me cringe a little are the dings you get in the shoulder of the brass. They don't appear to have any feeding or downrange effect, but they sure look like they could. The dings always pop out after being fired again.
Best of luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pshell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run Lapua in my gas gun not for the added "accuracy" but for the zero prep required compared to Winchester brass. It's the same reason I run it for my bolt guns, zero prep. You can make winchester just as good, but YOU have to do it with your time. Your going to lose your prepped Winny brass the same as your no prep Lapua.
I would care to wager that your time spent playing with Winchester brass cost you more than just buying Lapua in the first place.
I have never felt that Lapua was softer than others. It has and continues to serve me well. I do get the ring marks as well, but I think it's caused by my chamber dimensions and not soft brass. I have 5 loadings on .233 Lapua and it appears they have quite a bit of life left. The only thing that makes me cringe a little are the dings you get in the shoulder of the brass. They don't appear to have any feeding or downrange effect, but they sure look like they could. The dings always pop out after being fired again.
Best of luck. </div></div>
That pretty well sums it up. Well stated