• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Auto shutoff cars.....how stupid.

I 10000% agree the Auto Off it is a PITA? But...

I recently bought a car with this, not realizing what a PITA it is; besides the honking because people think you aren't paying attention at red lights turning green, the car actually jumps forward every time it restarts. I am getting into the happen of turning it off everytime I put my seatbelt on.

It’s probably buried in a menu somewhere, but all of that should be capable of being disabled. Dig into the manual. I would be stunned if it’s not, and would like to know what car it is to never consider one. Ever.
HR-V.
The manual lists the same method of (permanently) disabling the auto high beams as the CR-V: Set lever on 'auto', pull towards you for 40 seconds. The lights should flash once, indicating the change was successful. Either my car has a programming error, or this was merely a line copied from an earlier manual/year where the shutoff still worked. As a side note, I did the same procedure on the CR-V. The light actually flashes first at the 20-second mark, indicating that the auto system has been turned on (even if it already on). If you continue holding, then it turns the system off at the 40 second mark.
To turn the auto feature off (on the HR-V) upon each startup, you need to pull the lever toward you for 1 second. The "A" symbol disappears from the driver HUD, and you're good to go.

I have a habit of reading the manual upon acquiring a car, while at the dealer. I don't like surprises when at high speeds.

-- Edit --

This is making me remember a lot of other issues I have with the HR-V, so I'll just air the dirty laundry here:
  • The "BRAKE" alert will sometimes occur when turning near a wall, or when passing near a metal sign 5 ft or less in height. It does not cause the car to brake, but blanks out much of the HUD until it's decided to be done. Sometimes it beeps loudly. Sometimes it's quiet.
  • There are three drive settings: econ, normal, and snow. After I first acquired the car, I took a drive through the desert (to test snow/offroading) and up into the mountains (to test snow/ice handing). When using the 'snow' setting and driving in the snow, the car will pump the brakes automatically. At 5 mph, the car took an additional 4 ft to stop, regardless of the pressure I applied to the brakes. It just kept pumping...
  • Sometimes the passenger-row overhead lights will stay on when parking. They're supposed to shut off automatically after a certain period of time, depending on a few factors (light switch setting, 'park' status of shifter, whether car is on or off, whether doors have been opened). Sometimes, however, the lights do not shut off unless the car is restarted. Still haven't figured that one out.
  • And the 'Lane Keeper' function (which jiggles the steering wheel) activates only above 40mph... sometimes. It's a little random. Using the turn signals prior to a lane change is supposed to deactivate this temporarily. That has not held true roughly 25% of the time. And if you're driving a stretch of freeway where the lanes have been shifted to the side (and subsequently had lane markers repainted), good lord... you're in for a ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redmanss