• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

average cost of getting set up to reload

I started with one of these when I was sixteen. It loads excellent shells.

1 box of 100 primers. 1 box of 100 bullets. 1lb of powder. And you will load your first 100 rounds. And pay for your loader.

It was two years and hundreds, probably thousands, of .38 specials before I got a press.

Sirhr
That’s how I loaded my 3006 for a decade, 100 rounds a year maybe. And their little hand trimmer.
Used a rcbs beam scale to weigh powder.

Probably under 100 bucks all in but if I started shooting more I would replace it all so sunken costs or what not.

For match rifle get a good single stage press and Google ur dies. I use redding full length small base to size, and a Forrester micrometer to seat (redding micrometers blow out w one compressed load!) Redding also came out with a taper crimp micrometer die.

For 223 rem not much cost savings but accuracy wise much much better. For .308 cost saving is more significant ~ 35-40%.
accuracy improvement is moderate compared to match grade ammo. At least for my skill level.

if you have a bench than $500-$600 for a rock chucked + two sets of die and maybe some cheap trimmer accessories. 223 brass is basically free .308 brass is 50 cents with 4-5 shots per
My average cost per round is 51 cents for .308 and 29 cents for .223
Problem is primers and powder are scarce now as well.

still I would encourage you to do it - take it slow and be careful ( buy a bullet puller too)
It's a good skill to learn. Worth the time and effort and cost in my opinion

There's a you tube where a guy set a $600 budget for a 1000 yard rifle, optic & realoading set up & met it. T/C Compass, forgot the optic & a LEE loader. I have sng stage presses & just bought the 5 station Lee LoadMaster progressive with dies & set up & adjusted shipped new for $239/shipped. I started with a Lee Loader kit you hit with a hammer. Made fine bear ammo & taught my sons to load. Buy a cheap kit, see if you like it & upgrade from there if you do.

Forgive me as this is from memory this feb
I think I spent about $1500 to get setup with a single stage press.

Now that included a lot of dies and a big batch (8lb---STOP LAUGHING IT WAS A LOT FOR ME!) o powder (things were starting to get scarce, so I took a risk on a powder that would hit my major calibers and lots of bullets.

It does take time to be proficient--my first time out everything was going great then suddenly my stuff wouldn't chamber--went back and somehow I had not sized enough. Guess who guages every round (Kharma bit me, I stopped checking right went they went bad) now.

My first rounds of 300 Mag were fun through. That's where i really save $$ no more $2 a round.

What I (and my wife) like most about it is it gives me something to do other than be pissed off about politics/jobs/kids. Probably haven't saved a dime (yet), but possibly added a few years due to stress releif. (Although I at today's prices I am RAPIDLY paying off this investment).

And I shoot a lot more: except for all those primer hoarders i'm gonna come to a screeching halt soon.

That is a BIG caution. Right now is a SUPER FRUSTRATING time to start reloading. All the ammo shortages hit reloading too--powders I want to try-- never seen. I've never seen a pkg of small pistol primers (I was just gonna buy 9mm before that went south) and now EVERY primer is scarce (well not Magnum Large Rifle--I'm shooting a lot of 300 win mag these days). I don't want to discourage you, just be prepared to suffer through this --whatever-- and make sure to stock up when things normalize.

If you can get some primers--lots of good powders in stock---maybe not the super cool ones, but where I'm sitting I was pleased as punch over my imr4064 loads and just being able to shoot different 300 win mag at 200gr was fun (even at fresh brass im under cost on that one).

good morning fellow hide members. with no real end in sight of ridiculous ammo prices and looking at long term benefits, I'm trying to get a ball park figure to get set up for reloading. initially I'm planning on reloading .223 and then eventually move in to .308 and 9mm. The majority of the ammo is going to be plinking ammo until I start to get more comfortable and confident with it and then I would like to start looking at loading precision loads. I'm not looking to win awards with my set up but I also want to make sure I'm not cutting corners. Thanks for the input!

WOW. Tough order.

I started reloading when the kids gave me a Hornady reloading kit a few years back. It all went downhill from there.......down the financial hill, that is.

Never bothered with cheap stuff like 223, although I bought the bullets, the primers, the dies and the powder, in case of SHTF.

All of my efforts went into 270 Win at first, then to 6.5 Creedmoor (My main love) and also 338 Lapua, following the 6.5. Both 6.5 and 338 are RPR.

I brought SO much crap on the way to what I needed for solid reloading......it AIN'T funny, not in the least.

Pretty sure the more experienced guys out there would tell you the same.....

All my present efforts are geared to precision reloading based on what I can afford. Redding multi press and sleeve dies, RCBS powder charger, Giraud trimmer and Giraud annealer, AND tons of time at the You Tube School. Erik Cortina, for instance, has taught me a good bit and still does.

It's gonna cost you, friend. Don't know about the equipment, since I already have most of what I need.......but the supplies........ Arghhhhh!!! Powder is scarce, particularly the most precious ones. Try finding some Retumbo or H1000! $30 a pound is normal and Gunbroker has some re-sales for $90 to 200 a pound.

Bullets haven't been hit too bad, yet, but Midway is running short on some........ (Try Midsouth).

If Biden wins, ALL BETS ARE OFF !!!, he'll be a better gun salesman than Obama, long after the market is dried up. Covid has been a huge seller, too. And don't even mention the Blue Riots.

And HURRY!

IF you can, find someone who is already an accomplished reloader in the calibers you're interested in, and pay them to guide you. You're sucking hind tit on both the aquisition and learning curves, so it's gonna cost you, most likely.

Good luck, God Bless, and keep your powder in the shell!

Last edited:
Forgive me as this is from memory this feb
I think I spent about $1500 to get setup with a single stage press.

Now that included a lot of dies and a big batch (8lb---STOP LAUGHING IT WAS A LOT FOR ME!) o powder (things were starting to get scarce, so I took a risk on a powder that would hit my major calibers and lots of bullets.

It does take time to be proficient--my first time out everything was going great then suddenly my stuff wouldn't chamber--went back and somehow I had not sized enough. Guess who guages every round (Kharma bit me, I stopped checking right went they went bad) now.

My first rounds of 300 Mag were fun through. That's where i really save $$ no more $2 a round.

What I (and my wife) like most about it is it gives me something to do other than be pissed off about politics/jobs/kids. Probably haven't saved a dime (yet), but possibly added a few years due to stress releif. (Although I at today's prices I am RAPIDLY paying off this investment).

And I shoot a lot more: except for all those primer hoarders i'm gonna come to a screeching halt soon.

That is a BIG caution. Right now is a SUPER FRUSTRATING time to start reloading. All the ammo shortages hit reloading too--powders I want to try-- never seen. I've never seen a pkg of small pistol primers (I was just gonna buy 9mm before that went south) and now EVERY primer is scarce (well not Magnum Large Rifle--I'm shooting a lot of 300 win mag these days). I don't want to discourage you, just be prepared to suffer through this --whatever-- and make sure to stock up when things normalize.

If you can get some primers--lots of good powders in stock---maybe not the super cool ones, but where I'm sitting I was pleased as punch over my imr4064 loads and just being able to shoot different 300 win mag at 200gr was fun (even at fresh brass im under cost on that one).

I'm finding certain powders scarce...... Retumbo and H1000, for instance.

You CRACKED ME UP with your comment about politics/jobs/kids.........think that reflects half the nation. The conservative half. The other side doesn't care.

Good luck, keep getting ready, it's coming.

its a trap. don't get into reloading to save money. I've tracked everything I've purchased, including a couple presses that I didn't use as much. Over 5 years I've spent more than I want to admit publicly, but you could buy a used Honda Civic with the amount I've spent. I've then calculated how much per round it has cost me IN TOTAL for all the reloading equipment. Now that I'm into precision rifle reloading I will start to show some progress in savings. Let me add that I've bought every gizmo and gadget including an AMP annealer, a Forster coax, Dillon 650. I bought a Dillon square deal for pistol but gave it to a friend after getting the 650. I had an RCBS shotshell press I sold because It wasn't saving any money to load shotshell.

Expect to learn and learning costs money for sure. My suggestion in hindsight is to just get a single stage and reload rifle only. Pistol brass I reload but it isn't as much of a savings and the accuracy gain isn't as noticeable at pistol distances as it is at 1000 yards with a rifle.

USED Honda Civic??? I feel like I could have got a new one!!!

QUALIFIER: To my comments on .223 being a cheap ammo I wouldn't bother reloading unless SHTF..........

I am fortunate enough to have loaded up on 223 before the current dilemna, so am not aware of present costs. THIS is reflected in my comments on reloading priorities.

IF you are the ATFB, "loaded up" means I have 100 rounds. Thank you and go somewhere else.

Reloading is like some type of addictive substance.

Like gummy bears, you get the cheap ones and then the good ones and before you know it you are eating a two pound bag of full strenght sour gummies in one sitting while watching the hurricane footage at 1am.

You get strung out on the starter stuff and crave more and better.

Waiting for the weather girls top to blow off now just lost her hat.

Reactions: rottenruger
good morning fellow hide members. with no real end in sight of ridiculous ammo prices and looking at long term benefits, I'm trying to get a ball park figure to get set up for reloading. initially I'm planning on reloading .223 and then eventually move in to .308 and 9mm. The majority of the ammo is going to be plinking ammo until I start to get more comfortable and confident with it and then I would like to start looking at loading precision loads. I'm not looking to win awards with my set up but I also want to make sure I'm not cutting corners. Thanks for the input!
Expect to spend between $1000 and $1500 for all the equipment and tools. Once you've settled into a routine, you will begin upgrading equipment based on your likes and dislikes about the process. My advice would be to start with books. All loading manuals have a section dedicated to explaining the process. Once you've read through it once or twice, you will begin to feel more comfortable making decisions about where to begin. Here are a couple of online resources that can help.

Don't bother buying the loader,etc...unless you can buy raw materials-PRIMERS,bullets,brass....powder is still plentiful but the others are'nt.....40yr handloader and I'm amazed at the lack of materials.

Reactions: rottenruger
Welcome to the hobby!

You have a lot of good advice, and some not so good, to sort through. Here is mine. I would buy a good reloading manual and read through it and get an Idea of what reloading is all about. I like the Lyman. If you could talk with a few of the other shooters at your range or club and get to see their equipment you would benefit greatly. It would be good to have a mentor but its not necessary.

Cost? You can spend as much or as little as you want. I can load ammo thats more accurate than Black Hills Match or Federal Gold Metal on my Rockchucker using the standard RCBS 2 die set. Attention to detail trumps super expensive equipment. But at the upper levels you need to have both. When I started competing in long range benchrest I bought several pieces of equipment that exceeded my original cash outlay. But I managed to win several local matches in a few different disciplines using my basic set-up .

$1000-$1500 + 100’s of hours of work and ammo testing....I probably spend 300-400 hours per year.

I started out with a box kit- RCBS. It did have everything you would need to technically start reloading with the exception of shell holders. I think it did come with two though.. They're not terribly spendy. I think when I bought mine way back when it was like $250 for the kit. Looks like you can get a kit now for around $400. Also get reloading books and read those first sections! I didn't start loading my own ammo until after I read RCBS and Hornady manuals. I then re-read them. I also had them handy during my reloading to reference to.

One of my friends is an FFL and he reloads. This guy is very well known around here and he deals with the kind of guys that decide to sell off a portion of their 'collections'. Hes been known to purchase 10-20 fire arms at a clip and then resell them. One of his clients included all his reloading supplies- tumbler, press, dies, RCBS brass prep station, brass, bullets, LRP primers- you name it. Two Xerox boxes worth. He called me immediately and asked if I wanted some of it. I picked it all up for less than $100

Watch Craigslist, get to know other reloaders in your area. A lot of times you can find awesome deals on quality stuff. A while back I had run out of pistol primers and a friend who was stocked gave me a 1,000. Yes gave it to me. Why? What comes around goes around. At least that's how it is out here. He knows I'd return the favor in spades.

It's a good hobby but I've learned being resourceful and friendly with other re-loaders goes a long way and can save some $$.

Don't bother buying the loader,etc...unless you can buy raw materials-PRIMERS,bullets,brass....powder is still plentiful but the others are'nt.....40yr handloader and I'm amazed at the lack of materials.
\
I find powders scarce. Found some Retumbo on Gunbroker for $90-150 a pound instead of $30....... Left it there. Managed to find some bullets I wanted, but did have to go hunting for them. Stocked on primers and brass, thank goodness.

I've only been reloading about 7-8 years (Thanks, Barack), but I didn't think shortages could get any worse than they were during his reign.

Stay ready!