• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Average cost of rebarrel?

The russian 1021

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2014
Looking to put a usmc contract barrel on my 308 rem 700 after i shoot it out, but wanting to plan ahead.

Approx $815 w/o coating (barrel $350,Chamber $340,Crown $125) then figure in shipping, tax ect. Muzzle threading is more.

Would also be a good time to have the action trued if it hasn't been done already.

Good smith will run you about 600$ for a straight bbl. When you want threaded with cap, flutes, coating, etc it will cost you an little more.

Forgive me for asking, but why the obsession with the USMC contract thing? you referred to it in another thread also. Have you used it before? If not, the way the military is "doing it" isn't necessarily the right way for you, or at all for that matter.

Last edited:
Well, if thats an obsession, i dont know what you would call my other guns...
;)
Im trying to make a mock up of an m40, plus its 1-12 twist and i just like the m40aX's.
Was also considering doing a 5r, but being able to stabilize heavier bullets got my attention.
I belive the 1-12 can stabilize up to 190 gr.
dont quote me on that lol :)

And of course the military doesnt do it right always, otherwise they would not be using ar15s, they would be using ak's!!!!!
---Commence ww3 ;)

Oh, and by all means if their is something that would fit my purpose better, speak up!!!
Im really trying to make a rifle for LR hunting and target , and SHTF.

1 in 11.25 would be better for heavies. Do you just want the M40 taper? Or do you want the exact same barrel make as the M40? I don't know what they are using, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find out. The Camp Pendleton Marine snipers run their barrels for about 8000 rounds average, according to a couple of them that were at a match I was at. So planning ahead, buy a barrel and put it away.

Average cost of rebarrel?

I am not sure I follow your plan but, who cares it is a fun process.
My 1st re barrel went as follows ....
Had an action on my trusty hunting rifle
Did my home work
Wanted t avoid large cost
Bough a barrel off the hide that was a good cut down hvy varmint (18) 308 form the hide ( great transaction and great barrel)
Sent t off to be straight up re-barreled
Talked to them and REALIZED if I pay $ 300-400 ish they will re-barrel , true, and give and backup results.
My experience in life has lead me to eye ball the man w/ most experience WSHTF & duplicate.
Needless to say I spent the extra money and had the match barrel put on my action. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Well, if thats an obsession, i dont know what you would call my other guns...
;)
Im trying to make a mock up of an m40, plus its 1-12 twist and i just like the m40aX's.
Was also considering doing a 5r, but being able to stabilize heavier bullets got my attention.
I belive the 1-12 can stabilize up to 190 gr.
dont quote me on that lol :)

And of course the military doesnt do it right always, otherwise they would not be using ar15s, they would be using ak's!!!!!
---Commence ww3 ;)

There are lots of different m40s out there what one are you looking at? I would also get a 10 or 11 twist not a 12.

Please tell us more about SHTF plans.

Hey Bender... I base MY response to financial, emotional, intellectual ,
physical challenges on how I can measure up to those who are stronger, smarter and more experienced then me. I try to apply that to EVERY life decision I make.
I am simply spelling out my experience, knowing there any multitudes out there that know more than me! PM me if u disagree w/ my experience and I will be glad to rebuke! !!!!!! If I have lead the OP wrong I his path to re-barrel I a cost effective way!

Not sure when you started, but it may be awhile before you shoot out that barrel. Definitely read up on what you truly want. If you want to make a m40 copy, by all means go ahead and build it that way. There is a plethora of information on this site concerning building a rifle, including building an m40 copy.

Also just to let you know faster twist rates can handle heavier bullets also.

Last edited:
Hey Bender... I base MY response to financial, emotional, intellectual ,
physical challenges on how I can measure up to those who are stronger, smarter and more experienced then me. I try to apply that to EVERY life decision I make.
I am simply spelling out my experience, knowing there any multitudes out there that know more than me! PM me if u disagree w/ my experience and I will be glad to rebuke! !!!!!! If I have lead the OP wrong I his path to re-barrel I a cost effective way!

I should have been more clear in my question. It was directed at the OP.

Oh, and by all means if their is something that would fit my purpose better, speak up!!!
Im really trying to make a rifle for LR hunting and target , and SHTF.

Well if the SHTF, I wouldn't want a bolt gun....unless it was to hunt 4 legged targets.

Last edited:
Meredith Rifles charges $100 for trueing the action and $250 or $300 ( forget which) to chamber, thread and crown with you providing the barrel.

His work is EXCELLENT and I have rifles from several of the great builders on this site.