• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Average group size for a .223 bolt gun?

KOPFJÄGER13

If people were half as good as they think..
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2018
I'm new to 223 bolt guns, can anyone tell me what kind of accuracy I can expect....what's good, average, poor, etc. ?

If I couldn’t get it to shoot 1/2 inch 5 shot groups at 100 with good ammo I would get rid of it. Tons of variables but with very little recoil and no know accuracy anomaly’s the largest factor for accuracy will be the shooter.

BDC7F532-91D8-4484-AD1B-666A93A92F88.jpeg

To throw my hat in, I just got done reviewing a Remington 783 Varmint in .223 and the aggregrate group size across 17 5-shot groups at 100 yards shooting factory ammo was 1.07". This was with a 26" 1:9 twist barrel shooting everything from 50 and 55 grain varmint bullets to 68 - 75 gr match bullets. The groups were shot over the course of an afternoon and the barrel was given little time to cool down between strings of fire. The rifle loved 69 gr match putting up the smallest 5-shot group of 9/16". Handloading would no doubt have reduced the group sizes significantly but for all practical purposes there wouldn't be a whole lot the rifle couldn't do.

Reactions: KOPFJÄGER13
You're the one who's supposed to provide that information with your otherwise open-ended stupid question.

Your getting smart-ass answers because you threw out there a lazy ass question with zero fucking context
It's a very open question, it was intended to be, to spark a more rounded conversation.... and as far as your tone and reply you can go fuck yourself!

It's a very open question, it was intended to be, to spark a more rounded conversation.... and as far as your tone and reply you can go fuck yourself!

You asked about you and what accuracy YOU can expect....only you can answer that. We dont know what gun your shooting, what ammo, what distance, your skill level, what your shooting off, etc.

If you want real answers as to what you can/should expect provide more info details so you receive the answers you're looking for.

Reactions: Wlfdg
I'm new to 223 bolt guns, can anyone tell me what kind of accuracy I can expect....what's good, average, poor, etc. ?

Gentleman above said it right. One hole. However; I may have some experience with a .223AI shooting .6-.75 MOA groups at 100, but stacking them .25-.5 MOA at 400-700. Are you reloading your own? Or are you using factory ammo?

One hole. Lol

Well, i have had 3 of them and 2 would. Tikka varmint and custom 700 both would. I had a rem 700 vtr that wouldn't hit the Grand Canyon. Would only do 1 1/2 moa at best.

The ones that shoot good are pretty amazing at distance.

It's a very open question, it was intended to be, to spark a more rounded conversation.... [snip]

You're really going to have to narrow it down to get anything worthwhile. I've seen a benchrest gun shoot screamers and a nice looking 223 print 1,5" groups. Can you narrow the scope to the kind of rifle or price range you're looking at?

Some guns ship with a 1 MOA guarantee - so you can probably expect that, for all intensive porpoises.

I would suggest that with a regular factory rifle, somewhere between 1/2 to 1 MOA for a five shot group could be expected. That's what I got with my stock 20" Rem 700 SPS Tac in .223. I then replaced the tupperware stock with a KRG Bravo, the X-Mark Pro trigger with a Timney 510 and topping it with a PST II 5-25 on TPS rings. Two weekends ago, I shot four 5 shot groups in a row all being exactly 1/2" at 100 yards. Mine is a 1:9 twist and I reload Hornady 75 gr. BTHP's over 23.0 gr. of TAC powder.

Last edited:
.223 can be just as accurate as any caliber. There are alot of variable to account for. What gun are you shooting and what ammo?

To make it simple the higher quality the better it should shoot. If you’re paying for an entire rifle as some of us are paying for just a barrel, don’t expect one hole groups.

@KOPFJÄGER13 do you know how to shoot? I know that you’ve “hunted evils that I pretend don’t exist.” But how large are those evils? 5MOA, 1/2MOa?

Hi,

Clearly too small for a .308 (That why he discussing .223)...the question is more along the lines of where those evils were hunted at? Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Legend of Zelda, Pac-Man, MENA, Panama, Columbia, Bosnia, Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, etc etc

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

Clearly too small for a .308 (That why he discussing .223)...the question is more along the lines of where those evils were hunted at? Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Legend of Zelda, Pac-Man, MENA, Panama, Columbia, Bosnia, Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, etc etc

Sincerely,
Theis
This is funny.... my proficiency with any other caliber or platform has no bearing on the subject I'm posting.... I'm simply asking about 223 with a bolt gun platform.... simple question really, and your jokes are funny, for a keyboard bitch...... typical, big claims & comments from little pussies like you are what makes the shooting community look stupid.... I'm sure your the world's greatest "super sniper" but understand in a forum and most likely the real world your still a bitch

I would suggest with a regular factory rifle, somewhere between 1/2 to 1 MOA for a five shot group would be something you could expect. That's what I got with my stock 20" Rem 700 SPS Tac in .223. After replacing the tupperware stock with a KRG Bravo, the X-Mark Pro trigger with a Timney 510 and topping it with a PST II 5-25 on TPS rings, I shot four 5 shot groups in a row two weekends ago all being 1/2" at 100 yards. Mine is a 1:9 twist and I reload Hornady 75 gr. BTHP's over 23.0 gr. of TAC powder.

My approach is different but similar, stresses a frugal solution, and achieves essentially identical results. My load is Hornady 75gr HPBT Match over 23.5gr-23.7gr of Varget.

My base rifle is a Savage 11VT, no trigger mods, a Choate Savage Tactical Stock with a few affordable ergonomic add-ons, EGW 20MOA extended base, Mueller 6-32x44 Target Dot Scope, Vortex medium 30mm six-screw rings. Overall cost under $1000. However the 11VT was a "store special" model of Dick's, from whom few if any here will buy anything these days. I would substitute with the current Savage 110 Varmint.

We have a name here for folks who ask questions, and then argue with folks who attempt to answer them. We call them "askholes".

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: 260284 and Snuby642
This is funny.... my proficiency with any other caliber or platform has no bearing on the subject I'm posting.... I'm simply asking about 223 with a bolt gun platform....

I don't think you realize how utterly dumb the above statement is. The fact that you don't get why people are mocking your questions is really alarming.

Honestly, I don't think you've hunted any heads (what kopfjaeger means in English) or anything else for that matter.

Universal answer... "it depends"... On the actual shooter, on the barrel twist rate, on the load used, on the quality of the scope, on the wind, on the distance, on the humidity,... And a Dozen more things.

If everything is aligned, one hole accuracy is entirely possible.

This is funny.... my proficiency with any other caliber or platform has no bearing on the subject I'm posting.... I'm simply asking about 223 with a bolt gun platform.... simple question really, and your jokes are funny, for a keyboard bitch...... typical, big claims & comments from little pussies like you are what makes the shooting community look stupid.... I'm sure your the world's greatest "super sniper" but understand in a forum and most likely the real world your still a bitch
You should shut the fuck up, NOW!!!

On most gun boards you would probably be right. Here there is a high concentration of BTDT guys, which is kind of the point of the site in the first place since HMFIC is a Marine Scout Sniper... I would be very careful about calling people out as keyboard bitches on this board in particular.

OP... I have in the past been guilty of what you are doing now. You need to provide much more content and information context and description of what exactly you're looking for

Or you can bow up and get nasty and then get the responses you are getting now

He's been here since September 2018. You would think he'd figured out who's a keyboard pussy bitch by now. Amazing he's got two hundred posts without one self destructing. What's next, flame war with Veer?

Hi,

LOLOLOL 5 minutes of reading various threads/posts of yours here https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/members/kopfjÄger13.127244/
provide the clear answer that the ONLY thing you have ever hunted was the TV remote and a grilled cheese sandwich.

The which scope for 338LM, enough scope for 1760yd, bipod for ELR, Shooting groups off bipod, Acceptable group size, shitty range day, 22mag vs 308, etc etc are pure comedy in relation to your self given title and you do not even realize it, hahaha.

AND last but not least....no "Super Sniper" here.......S&B or Hensoldt is preferred.

Sincerely,
Theis

Here we go...

Have you ever noticed folks like this never list their location or any other pertinent info about themselves...

Hint, hint...
Is this a shooting forum or a dating site? Why does my personal shit matter? I'm 42, brown hair, blue eyes, 5'11" , 215lbs & from northern KY........ now unless your trying to date me, then who fuckin cares

wow you don't even know how quotes work. you're special

definitely single but this probably isn't the place for you to look for a date unless you want to be a live mover. since none of us can shoot anyways you'll be safe right

This is what you guys got..... yall are real fuckin heroes I'm sure, military superstars! ......

OP, this is a truthful recommendation

you should read more and post less

as said before, on this thread alone there are a few serious shooters (military service aside but pure skill and knowledge) who you could prob learn something from

back to the original question... if you really want answers

if i cant get a 223 bolt gun to shoot factory match ammo less than 1 MOA/1" @100 yards, its a boat anchor
if i cant get a 308 bolt gun to shoot factory match ammo less than 1 MOA/1" @100 yards, its a boat anchor

So many variables here, I think the OP would do better to do a bit more reading about those variables. It's impossible to answer his question without more details.

What rifle?
What action?
What barrel?
What trigger?
What ammo?

What experience does the shooter have?

Reactions: garandman
Here we go...

Hi,

Well...here is the shortest yet most detailed information (Direct and complete quotes, no paraphrasing or splicing) anyone needs to understand the OP knowledge base....

Sincerely,
Theis

Could someone give me an idea of how many MOA it takes to get a 338 to a mile? That might help narrow the choices or help find a good moa base/scope combination..... thanks again

Can someone explain to me what a blueprinted action is and how it affects accuracy?.....

depends on the rifle, ammo and shooter.
potential is there for great results, but equally for not so great results.

Reactions: garandman
He's been here since September 2018. You would think he'd figured out who's a keyboard pussy bitch by now. Amazing he's got two hundred posts without one self destructing. What's next, flame war with Veer?

You guys don't need any help with this one. "Headhunter" needs a mirror and a flashlight.