• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Real World 1500mtr Group size

wooferocau

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
Victoria,Australia
After feedback ..... REAL feedback not Theoretical or "Bullshit" ..

I usually shoot out to a max of 2500mtrs with varying success, but 1500mtrs is probably the distance i shoot most.
As is usual results vary depending on your mood/mind-set and environmental conditions..

I have achieved at times excellent results of less than 1/2 moa ( circa 4-5" ... groups) .. BUT this is in NO WAY a consistent , average group size over many sessions!! Some results have been very average approaching 2 moa for ALL shots fired

What do many view as a "Realistic" ..... "Consistently "...... achievable group size at this distance given favourable environmental conditions.. ?

And i don't mean pick out the one best group you have ever achieved and put that forward as "Average" .

Thanks..

Reactions: poorboyshooter
I strive for 1 MOA at 1760yds...with most of my variation being environmental....and standard deviation of my load. Some times in a 5 shot group you get a bullet that just decides to take off somewhere...it is what it is.

I shoot ELR and 1 mile benchrest. I've heard through the decades of people claiming to shoot 5" at a mile all day....the best I've ever witnessed is a 9" group. The best I've ever shot is a 5shot 12" group due to a high one 6 inches up....I once shot a 4 shot group of 4"...and the 5th shot went about 20 inches the other way.

So...all that to say... 1 MOA at any distance beyond 1000 meters is what you should strive and be happy with....anything less is wonderful...anything more and you need to start exploring why it happened and try to eliminate the reason for it.

It all depends on wind variability.

I know lots of guys who find a shooting location where there is no wind,or they shoot into a head/tailwind, or somewhere the wind is un/naturally consistent.

In those shooting locations, if you’re dialed, 1 MOA consistently is awesome and better than that you’re a champ

Add in unpredictable wind and and I’m thinking 2-3 MOA is good

Look at the size of the Ko2M targets and the hit rates. Thats “realistic” conditions

I have a 12” plate at 1100 yards in my location where highly variable winds are characteristically 5-10 MPH and I doubt my hit rate on that plate is over 25% and many of the hits are after I get dialed for a string where the wind stays consistent

For a while I thought about finding a less hostile location, but then decided I’d stick to practicing in my “real world” place

My personal goal is to have a hit rate of 50% on a 1moa plate size at a given distance.
At 1000yds in good conditions I usually exceed that easily.
1500yds and out not so...
In consistent conditions, many competition guns will do about a minute at 1500 plus. I've seen a few very tight groups at 2000 plus that were very impressive. Where they statistical accidents of having seen thousands of 5 shot strings on targets? Maybe. They were usually by people that had it together though. I wouldn't expect any of those shooters to claim that as regularly possible though.

-Alex