• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Avoiding getting ripped off

mercervillerental

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2019
Hi all, aside from checking feedback for a member are there any other suggestions on how to avoid getting ripped off in forum transactions? Any best practices on payments or ways payment services can help protect a buyer/seller? There are a couple of things on the PX that look almost too good to be true so I'm suspicious but tempted...

If this is the wrong spot in the forums to ask please let me know. Thanks all!

For myself I'll click the members name and check what they usually post. If the guy is involved in a lot of normal conversations then I can conclude he is one of us and his selling is incidental to his being here. If he is not a commercial member and seems to be mostly here to monetize crap he takes in trade then I'm not interested.

Remember, if you see a suspicious firearm: stop, look around, and tell a responsible adult. One of us will buy it instead and you won't have to worry about getting ripped off.

No but really, if you see something too good to be true? It often is, so always check feedback for the member and their history on the site. If you're suspicious about the listing and want to ensure the seller actually has the item in question, PM asking for a photo of the item with your PM history in the background of the shot. Ask for specific views of the item, too. A good seller will usually oblige and understand you're doing it to avoid being scammed.

Hi all, aside from checking feedback for a member are there any other suggestions on how to avoid getting ripped off in forum transactions? Any best practices on payments or ways payment services can help protect a buyer/seller? There are a couple of things on the PX that look almost too good to be true so I'm suspicious but tempted...

If this is the wrong spot in the forums to ask please let me know. Thanks all!

I always ask for a phone conversation if buying something of significant value unless I have prev done business with the seller or the seller is a well-established member.

Also, you can request the seller put a post card or something on paper with his user name and date next to the item, take a picture or two and send to you via PM.

Solid stuff so far gents - definitely like the idea of a phone conversation and/or taking specific pics

Reactions: Boatninja
Check the feedback and contact members who have posted on their feedback. Mainly members who contribute to the thread or have some history here. The more you search the sellers history the better off you’ll be.

Its hard to do as you’ll learn a really good deal gets snagged before you get a chance to really search. But get screwed once and you’ll see that it’s worth it to look into the great deal

Reactions: mercervillerental
If you're using PayPal, pay the extra fee for the buyer protection - don't use "Friends and Family" option. They generally always side with the buyer if there is a dispute so I'm told.

If you're using PayPal, pay the extra fee for the buyer protection - don't use "Friends and Family" option. They generally always side with the buyer if there is a dispute so I'm told.

Yeah, this is an interesting one. I've read that as well, but I've also read that if the seller withdraws the funds before the dispute is filed then the buyer is out of luck. It also appears (based on my reading) that the seller must send you a formal invoice for the transaction, which seems like a stretch for a seller on a private forum.

All good suggestions so far. I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on the Hide. For high dollar stuff, I insist on using PayPal or some other method that offers some buyer security. Pay the fee if you have to. Don't send a MO or personal check unless the guy has a long history on the Hide. A guy here recently lost $1500 to a scammer when he sent them a USPS MO for a non-existent scope.

As a seller, I invite buyers to check my feedback and post history. I also tell them to call me if they have any questions or concerns. If they are within driving distance and it's worthwhile, I offer to meet in person.

All good suggestions so far. I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on the Hide. For high dollar stuff, I insist on using PayPal or some other method that offers some buyer security. Pay the fee if you have to. Don't send a MO or personal check unless the guy has a long history on the Hide. A guy here recently lost $1500 to a scammer when he sent them a USPS MO for a non-existent scope.

As a seller, I invite buyers to check my feedback and post history. I also tell them to call me if they have any questions or concerns. If they are within driving distance and it's worthwhile, I offer to meet in person.

When using Paypal have you requested an invoice to guarantee the buyer protection?

Any amount that I'm not willing to gamble and loose I will look at their messege count and maybe some messeges. You can tell who is solid member.

Other than that I only use payment options that give me some sort of piece of mind.

Oh and current pics and valid contact info.

With it being 2020 and all and the vast majority of members here have a cell phone ask to video chat via one of the dozen platforms that support it. Especially high dollar items.

Like others have said, cruise their profile, see if they have positive feedback and do some double checking. It could be a simple PM and ask for more pictures or a specific angle to validate the item. Also, feedback with the deal URL attached helps.

As for payment, do what you feel comfortable doing. I’ve used PayPal, Venmo, Zelle, Money order and sent cash in a birthday card. If you do enough checking, you’ll sniff out the losers real quick

Guy got my number from armslist, said he was in texas, text messages and sent a pic of his photo id, and sent me a link to his youtube account, all without being asked to. I found that suspicious.

Days go by and he was sensing a certified check, which I didn’t want, but told him it would take 14-21 business days to fully clear(that is what my bank said), He wanted to send me money to purchase a firearm from a neighboring town, i told him “no way, i do not get mixed up with someone else’s transactions” he agreed. Check was supposed to show up one day, he was blowing up my phone with idle chit chat. I also found it odd as i was not engaging much. So i had a gut feeling, tracked the tracking number for the check, said it was coming from cali, huge red flag.

So he texts me right then that the amount was for way more than we agreed on, so i could zelle this other dude the money for the gun i told him i will NOT be a part of.

It goes quiet, and guess what! The check never shows. Not sure how you fake tracking, but it was...

Lots of good advice up here. Also, be aware of the guy who just recently joined, racked up 100 posts really quickly, most of which lack substance, then on his 101st post, lists a great deal for sale in the PX...

The substance and quality of a person’s posts over time tells you a lot about who and what this person is like on the other end.

Guy got my number from armslist, said he was in texas, text messages and sent a pic of his photo id, and sent me a link to his youtube account, all without being asked to. I found that suspicious.

Days go by and he was sensing a certified check, which I didn’t want, but told him it would take 14-21 business days to fully clear(that is what my bank said), He wanted to send me money to purchase a firearm from a neighboring town, i told him “no way, i do not get mixed up with someone else’s transactions” he agreed. Check was supposed to show up one day, he was blowing up my phone with idle chit chat. I also found it odd as i was not engaging much. So i had a gut feeling, tracked the tracking number for the check, said it was coming from cali, huge red flag.

So he texts me right then that the amount was for way more than we agreed on, so i could zelle this other dude the money for the gun i told him i will NOT be a part of.

It goes quiet, and guess what! The check never shows. Not sure how you fake tracking, but it was...
You should have played along and acted like you were doing it.......lol I do that all the time with those fake IRS scammers I had this one guy on the phone for almost an hour acting like I was scared shitless and wanted to send him money I kept going in circles.......lol then he finally realized he was the one being played.

Me, I make sure I dont accidentally type in the wrong phone number, allowing some scumbag from IN to text me their Paypal account info and screw me out of a good amount of $$$.

Ahhh, just saying it for a friend....

I got complacent and lost $125 on a Larue Mount here in the PX a couple months back. The same guy hit up a bunch of gun boards in the same week, the negative info was pouring out the day after I sent funds. Longevity and feedback are the key to avoiding a scam. Someone new on the forum is the first red flag.

I've never requested an invoice, and depending on the item, the seller may not want to. PayPal is anti-gun and doesn't like you using their service to buy/sell firearms. Sometimes you have to be discrete, on both sides.

I get that part, but my understanding based on my (likely amateur) attempts to read their policies is that they require an invoice or similar to qualify for buyer protection.

That's basically the classic scam that's been going on for since before the days of the internet.
FedEx a Cashier's check for more than the amount, but with legit routing numbers, your bank will take it and deposit it, then about 3 days later it will bounce.

That's basically the classic scam that's been going on for since before the days of the internet.
FedEx a Cashier's check for more than the amount, but with legit routing numbers, your bank will take it and deposit it, then about 3 days later it will bounce.
Yeah, i guess. I know he was going to say “it’s guaranteed money, just wire this other dude money, and im boned.

I get that part, but my understanding based on my (likely amateur) attempts to read their policies is that they require an invoice or similar to qualify for buyer protection.

If you have a problem with a gun-related transaction using PayPal, assume that there is no buyer protection. Stories abound of PayPal telling people to pound sand for attempting to engaged in a prohibited transaction and then claiming buyer protection coverage. Maybe you'll be covered, maybe not.

That being said, do not use the Friends and Family option. Send funds the normal way, and if someone tries to screw you, then you can at least threaten mutually-assured destruction of both accounts by filing a claim.

If you do not trust the counterparty, do not proceed with the transaction, regardless of the payment method. It's that simple.

Reactions: Dragonscout25
That is exactly what was going into my mind as I had my mind set on a certain transaction last week. Great advices everyone , very much appreciated