• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AW/AE/AICS mag diffrences

Which mag would you guys recommend for a 6.5 CM in a Remington 700 short action? It’s running an AICS compatible custom DBM bottom metal...

Just got my first real magazine for my Savage 10 in 6.5 CM mounted in an MDT LSS-XL Gen 2 chassis. The polymer 8 round AICS magazine feeds and results in a much smoother bolt action than the original Savage magazine. I'll never go back. Super Smooth - Super Reliable.

VooDoo

Got a question for some of y’all. I got some ax mags instead of the aics that was advertised. Long story. My question is could i dremel or grind the front lip off to fit into regular aics bottom metal

Reactions: Mxracer87
Got a question for some of y’all. I got some ax mags instead of the aics that was advertised. Long story. My question is could i dremel or grind the front lip off to fit into regular aics bottom metal

You could always use a small hammer to tap it flat

Which brings me to my question: is there any difference between the AICS mag and the AX mag aside from that front lip? Does one allow a little longer seating depth or are they comparable in that area?

You could always use a small hammer to tap it flat

Which brings me to my question: is there any difference between the AICS mag and the AX mag aside from that front lip? Does one allow a little longer seating depth or are they comparable in that area?
I think the AW and AX mags are similar just the front lips are lower on the AX. Both are double stacked and double feed. The AICS is kinda double stacked (1.5 stack?/staggered) but only single feed at the top.

Last edited:
I should have clarified a bit. I think what I have is an AICS AX mag, not a AX mag for the AXMC rifle. Mine is the staggered "double" stack, single feed that looks identical the standard AICS mag, except the AICS AX mag has that little lip. Let me see if I can link a listing for the mag.

https://www.eurooptic.com/ax-aics-magazine-10-round-762-308.aspx

EuroOptic also has a list of all the AI mags under the "Which AI mag do I want?" section. I believe I have 6955. The standard AICS 10-rd mag is 3902. That's why I'm wondering if there is any difference between the two, specifically the seating depths.

https://www.eurooptic.com/ai-magazines.aspx

Not sute...how long ago did u get your rifle? Bought mine last year and it came with AX mags...I think serial # is 6677 for AX Short Action mag. Not sure if AI may've changed this from single to dual feed mags since release of rifle.

i see, AX Chassis and NOT an AX. in this case, i think it depends on what "cut" your action has. If its cut for dual feed you can use AW/AT/AX mags and AICS mags. but if it's cut for for AICS, i think you're limited to the 6955 (staggered single feed) AICS mags.
attached photo...i think the circled area shows the dual feed mag cut-out.

i'm not totally sure on this, someone else with better knowledge pls chime in. will try to help best i can.

Attachments

• BigHornTL3_AWMagCut.PNG
    BigHornTL3_AWMagCut.PNG
    677.9 KB · Views: 446
Reactions: HighPlainsMarksman
I thought I was buying a couple magazines for my AICS in 300 Win Mag, but it looks like these magazines are for the AX AICS. (thanks to aam for the magazine poster)
AI_300win_mag_withFrontLip.jpg

Has anyone tried to flatten out the "lip" on the front of the magazine so that it will fit in a AICS? The rest of the dimensions appear to be the same.

UPDATE: I modified the magazine to flatten the bump. In this thread is a description of what I did:
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/aiax-vs-aics-300-win-mags.6907241/

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the 300wm AX magazine will fit in aics pattern bottom metal on a Remington 700? I have a 5 round 30-06 AICS magazine now, but would like a shorter magazine if it will fit.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but would the P mag AICS mags be any good? Is there a reason to actually spend that much money on some of these magazines?

You aren't the first to ask, but it will partially depend on the bottom metal or chassis you are running the magazine in. How the round the round is presented to the bolt face and later to the chamber,when the magazine is fully-seated should be a huge priority for any rig.
AI branded mags are commonly referred to as the gold standard and for good reasons. The P-mags may feed fine in your system and if they do, they would be a "good choice." I wouldn't say that they are un-tunable, but they cannot be adjusted as much as the AI's, most notably in the feeding lips. The AI's (metal) can be lightly bent and bent back within reason with a tool such as the one MPA makes. The p-mags (polymer) will have to be sanded, and cannot be returned to original spec, when modified.

This was extremely helpful. I just purchased some spare 10 rounders for my AE.. Pricey for sure, but they're extremely well made and have been completely reliable so far.

Does anyone know what mags fit the Bergara 14? The stocks ones are $85.
With Respect,
Alvin

B14 and Premier all use AICS. In my B14 HMR I've run the Bergara 5rnd AICS (Price point @ $29.99 which are produced by Magpul for them which is why they so closely resemble the Magpul), the Mgpul 10 rnd. , and some metal AICS, all of which worked fine but I detest metal magazines from my time as a unit armorer in the service and got rid of them post haste almost as soon as I was handed them. So I don't know where your $85 figure came from but not from Bergara unless you've got one of their custom jobs where the customer specified something different but in any case which are not B-14s. Maybe you were looking at Tikka I think you can already get one for that amount.

Can anyone tell me if any of the double stack 10round 300winmag magazines are compatible with a long action defiance deviant and surgeon bottom metal combination? (or any other action/bm combo?)

Going to build a 300wm set into a McMillan A5

With a axmc and the SA adapter it shows 6677 as the mag to use. Many sites are showing that item as discontinued. Is the 26556 the replacement? It shows 9 vs 10 capacity.

Also I’ve heard that a SA mag is being designed to bypass the need for the SA adapter?

Attachments

• 039B0776-E605-4994-9DF4-362F77667D8F.jpeg
    039B0776-E605-4994-9DF4-362F77667D8F.jpeg
    521.6 KB · Views: 916
All - where should the smart money go with a Curtis Vector action (accepts AW mags), installed in a KRG Whiskey gen 6 (accepts AICS Mags)? Which mags should I start testing first?

Quick question, I just bought a aiax chassis to put a voodoo action into. Are the voodoo mags gonna fit with that chassis? And looking at the thread, will the aics mags from my legacy or ai/ae mk 11 fit the aiax chassis and vice versa? I see the mag numbers are different for both the aiax and the ai mags or do I have to modify them a little bit? My real worry is about the voodoo mags and the aiax chassis which I specifically bought for that action.

I’m going to apologize if this is already been asked:
I have a Savage tactical 110 that I use aics mags...The problem is I need to load them longer and was hoping for a metal mag that might Give me the little extra room I need, any suggestions?

I’m going to apologize if this is already been asked:
I have a Savage tactical 110 that I use aics mags...The problem is I need to load them longer and was hoping for a metal mag that might Give me the little extra room I need, any suggestions?
I just recieved a 6.5 cm Accurate-Mag
AICS 10 round steel form Midwest Gun works, Cost was 80.00.
Intended for my M700.
It measured 2.985 ish inside, compared to my P-mag in 7.62 was 2.890 ish. I'm sure they have a published dimension.
Note: I don't reload so i can't give you any help there.
Haven't shot with it yet but I cycled rounds thru the M700 jury is still out
Pmags cycle better, I might have to tweak it so I won't knock it until I get some rounds thru it at the range.
Somewhere on the hide ,l seen discussion on that subject specifically regarding longer coal.

Ok question for everyone.... I received a AI MK13 MOD 7 and the guy put my Remington PSS 308 into it. Now when I go to load the magazine, if the bolt isn’t open, I can’t seat the magazine. If I open the bolt, mag seats fine, but doesn’t seem to cycle properly, some of the rounds seem to get hung up. Is there a certain mag I need or is there another issue? Thanks in advance... btw, just to let you know, I’m a border line functioning idiot, so be gentle...

I brought this up in another thread, but I thought I would share my AW magazine 12rnd modification. Depending on cartridge (I run 6xc), most people can already load 11rnds into a standard AW magazine, but who doesn't want MORE ROUNDS right?

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box
---After removing the spring and follower from the magazine body, I used the bottom of the spring as a guide to trace the outline, roughly centered, on the bottom of the magazine. This does need a little wiggle room, but I would say I left about 3/16-1/4" of material all the way around the edge of the magazine. I drilled the corners out, then connected the dots with a Dremel cutoff wheel. Total time, 5 minutes.

AWmag1.PNG

Step 2: Put the spring in the box
---As easy as it sounds, place the spring/follower back into the magazine, with the spring hanging out of the bottom. I stretched out the flat sprint a little bit, but nothing crazy.

Step 3: Put the Extension on the box
---Again, as easy as it sounds. I slid on the Area 429 magazine extension and locked it on with the supplied set screw. While this mod does not take full advantage of the A419 +4 extension, the cutout in the bottom of the magazine gives just enough room for the follower to bottom out on the bottom of the magazine, rather than stopping on the compressed spring. This allows me to fit 12rnds, with about a 1/2 round compression that allows me to seat a magazine on a closed bolt.
AWmag2.PNG

Testing - I've ran about 500 rnds through this magazine, all loaded to 12rnd max, through my boltgun over the last 2 weeks. I've had absolutely ZERO issues.

Double stack in a 300WM?

I haven't looked at AI stuff in a few yrs. I think I understand the AI/AW differences. I run short action AICS mags or clones in a couple of rifles, but AX/AXMC adds another dimension to my confusion.

If one is looking for a DS mag solution for a 300WM, it looks like the AX/AXMC mags are that, but can they be run in other than an AI platform? Is anyone else making stock/chassis and actions that will work with them?

First off... AMAZING THREAD!! Kudos to those who've shared their knowledge along the way..

I'm an unlucky guy who needs AE Mk1 mags and has a liking for ten rounders... NOT a good combo! Has anyone done experiments with similar single stack, single feed mags to find compatibility with non- AI mags? A page back or so there was mention of using the Ruger Scout rifle mags in the AE and I've seen references that the Ruger Scout and the new Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR) magazines might work together. Has anyone tried a RPR mag in a AE?

Here is a link to the new Ruger- AI style mags https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/new-ruger-ai-style-magazines

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
It looks like Sako uses the same design in their 85 series magazines as the AW, though shorter so it fits flush with your bottom metal.

Has anyone ever tried adding material to the back of an AW style mag and filing for adjustment instead of using an extended mag catch to lift it to the right feed height in an AICS tuned chassis/stock and AW cut receiver? I figure it could be tested with JB Weld and then actually welded for permanence.

Seems this would more reliability allow one to use both style mags without compromising.
I'm particularly interested, as I'm considering a rifle with an AW cut receiver that's currently set up for AICS mags and would like the option to use AWs.

I read through the post but did not see this question covered (sorry if I missed it).

Will short action AICS 5 & 10 round mags function in the 308 AW rifles?

As far as I know the AE and AW share the same bolt head so maybe?

There are slight dimensional differences.

AW: 3.055 x 0.960 x 3.180 Measured length of spine, left mag

AICS : 3.055 x 0.970 x 2.535 Measured length of spine, middle mag

Also the lock up is different. Note the back of the mags.

Short answer is no,

1592296053609.png

Sorry if I missed this info somewhere. It seems standard bolt face is the only option with AW mags. Has anyone successfully modified your magazine to run SAUM sized cases in an AW magazine?

Very informative thread, but the lack of quoting in some of the replies made it a bit tougher to follow the Q & A. o_O:D