• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AWC? Any love out there?

Re: AWC? Any love out there?

Thats good. I have not received any communication since my suppressors arrived at AWC, 5 weeks ago.
There is no word on what they can or cannot do or a cost as Chris and I did not discuss this.
Again, not bitching just posting information.

I spoke to Chris today, he says for both of you, just to call him up.

Here is his number 623-780-1050 option 2. If you call and can't get him leave a message with your number. He always calls back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csi:cyberspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slimguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why can't we all agree to disagree? This is getting stupid already. </div></div>
Either that or just bust out the rulers and get this over with....</div></div>

Now that one made me laugh a little.

Thanks, but I have no need to call. I figure I am right on schedule. I am expecting several weeks, and am only a couple in. The point I was making is that perhaps okent is on schedule as well. Even on a 2-3 week turnaround, adding in a week each way for shipping and the like, 5 weeks is still pretty much on track.

And for what it's worth, if I feel the need to call to take care of my business, and let me repeat that rollingthunder - MY BUSINESS, which oddly enough is none of yours, I will do so. I think at this point you have interjected yourself where you not only don't belong, but are squarely not appreciated. I have no problems with the way my work is going so far. I have no problems with the communication from Chris nor with anything they are doing for me. In fact, right now, I am what one would call a satisfied customer with what I have received from AWC, a fact I have posted more than once here. What I don't need, is you creating the perception of problems where none exist. If you want to go running to Chris like a 3rd grader every time someone bloodies AWC's nose, that's certainly up to you. However, until I represent a problem with the way they are handling things for me, which I have absolutely not done, I'll thank you to keep out of my affairs. What you have accomplished is to create a problem where none existed, and placed some burden on me to address a non-issue with AWC. Thanks. Thanks very much for that.

Well said CSI. Sorry to hear of the undue stress put on you.

I still don't believe why a fanboy would be calling AWC on behalf of some people here who he does not know personally unless he is involved in some way with AWC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well said CSI. Sorry to hear of the undue stress put on you.

I still don't believe why a fanboy would be calling AWC on behalf of some people here who he does not know personally unless he is involved in some way with AWC. </div></div>
Perhaps he wasn't given enough attention as a child; perhaps he's sexually repressed; perhaps.... well, never mind. I don't really care who he is, who he thinks he is, nor who he wants everyone else to think he is. I don't need his help, I don't need his input, and I certainly don't need him stirring up hassles for me at AWC when I am perfectly happy with the way Chris has treated me thus far. If I have an issue with AWC, I will address it with Chris. One thing I have learned here is that Chris is willing to talk things over and at least try to come to an equitable solution for everyone involved if you just give them the chance. That is what I intend to do. Chris gave me a very reasonable time line, I am on schedule with that, and that's all I can expect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.

I spoke to Chris today, he says for both of you, just to call him up.

Here is his number 623-780-1050 option 2. If you call and can't get him leave a message with your number. He always calls back.

</div></div>

Like I said before, I sent in a note with my suppressors stating that I wanted a phone call when they had a chance to look at them so we could figure out what could be done, as agreed upon when I spoke with Chris.

When I was advised, by you, to send in my suppressors for servicing/upgrading/whatever, my plan was to see how the service was now since it was less than stellar before. Not to hound AWC until they worked my order.

Why should I call? And more importantly, why should you call? I don't care if it takes them 3 months to get to my suppressors, I really don't. But for whatever reason you felt the need to call and push this faster. It chaps your ass that I posted at the 4 week mark and 5 week mark that I had not heard from AWC. Why? I wasn't bitching.
You posted for me to call "and kick Chris's ass" to get my stuff done. Who am I, his Dad? Not my job to light a fire under his ass. If they are that busy then fine, there is honestly no hurry on my part and if they are busy making products for the men with green faces then who am I to step to the front of the line. If I knew some ass hat was holding up supplies to me when I was in the military then I would want that guys name.
It won't be me.

Chris has the link to this thread, I gave it to him. I hope he takes the time to read this and see's how you have posted in such an aggressive and hostile manner that, to me, puts AWC in a poor light.
I get it that you are a pit bull for AWC. I don't know if it is because you and Mac served together back in the day. Doesn't matter. You defend AWC and that's fine. Your persistence talked me into dusting off my suppressors and giving them another try.

They will call me when they get to my order. I will post once a week until they do. I will post what the agreed plan is and again after I receive my suppressors. I AM NOT TRYING TO STIR THE POT.

The best advertisement is word of mouth and I will post good or bad what my experience is. The rest is up to AWC.

They have my number.

I called Chris to check up on my suppressor, not yours.

Okent, do you remember this? "I will email Chris to get the ball rolling and if you don't mind I will reference your ID." You did and he asked me for my thoughts. I didn't have to say a thing as he reads every word of these threads. I recommended that direct communication is best and that the web is really a poor place to resolve stuff when folks say "First off, AWC botched two of my threading jobs in a row" As to calling to push this faster, that was not my recommendation for your cans at all. I know how busy these folks are and how careful and structured their world is.

As to my putting AWC in any light, the person that kicked this thread off took the time to personally contact me to thank me for being so complete in my answers on this very thread. He asked a couple of more in depth questions that I answered and recommended what I recommended to you...call them.

Do not get me wrong, I appreciate some of the information you offer on suppressors and AWC products. It is obvious you have been around this stuff for quite some time. I saw the thread about the super compact 45 handgun. Very cool and definitely rare. That is the type of thing I appreciate on this board.

This is an open thread and not just a love fest which is why I posted that I had two negative contacts with AWC. I was not trying to resolve anything with AWC by posting that information, only share my experience which is what I thought this thread was about. It just happened to be negative.

Chris knows I am not trying to get my digs in while hiding behind a keyboard. There are people reading this thread that want to know how AWC handles my latest service order and appreciate the updates.
Because of your urging I am giving them another try.

UPDATE: ALL I can say is ALL RIGHTY THEN - and YES, I'M SHOUTING!!

I just got an email from AWC with a tracking number and shipping confirmation that my Thundertrap is on it's way back to me FedEx 2Day shipping. I should have it back inhand by Monday or Tuesday. It took AWC LESS THAN THE TIME CHRIS QUOTED ME!!

Be it known he is a man of his word and as far as I'm concerned, their customer service is beyond reproach. This is one satisfied customer.

And for those in western NC who would like to get together and hear it before you buy one, get hold of me and I'll hook ya up!

To get this thread back on track for the OP, and address his ORIGINAL question....

You bet your arse there is!

Make that two.
Chris called today and is working over my suppressors.
Upgrading the internals on the Raider made more sense than going to Ti as there would not be a weight savings with my existing tube. However it will be quieter which is great.
The Archangel had the threaded portion lengthened and the endcap replaced but the internals are not being changed.
Thanks to Gemtech they can no longer do what they used to which I understand.
I will post again when I get them in, should be about 2 weeks.

Just got my Thundertrap off the FedEx truck and opened it up....
Drum roll please....

First, and this is important to the rest of the tale here, my suppressor was in brand new condition when I shipped it off. Not a scratch or mark on it. I sent it back to be re-fit with new threads and honestly, expected it to come back to me showing signs of repair. I mean, after all, it was brand new, with no blemished whatsoever, and they are going to take it apart, change the cap and threads and then have to put it back together again so one would expect a certain level of "sign" it had been taken apart, or at least handled - right? NO! This thing is in AT LEAST as good condition as it was when I sent it back IF NOT BETTER. Let me say that again, IF NOT BETTER!! And friends, that's hard to do 'cause it was new, new , new. And now, it looks NEW, NEW, NEW. Not a mark, scratch, not even a fingerprint!

The only suggestion I would make to AWC with respect ot my personal transaction is they don't charge enough for return shipping. They charged me $15 for return shipping (back to me) and upon looking at the shipping invoice, it actually cost them $25.00. The sent it back to me via 2day FedEx, something they didn't have to do as they were not in any semblance of rush meeting the time-line Chris quoted me - in fact, they beat it by a healthy margin. The 2Day thing was a pleasant, unexpected, and MUCH APPRECIATED bonus on their part.

YMMV, but I doubt it!! AWC Rocks, but they do it quietly.

ETA: Damn, this thing sounds RIGHT! Just couldn't wait for time to go to the range, so I took a couple of uh, test rounds, that's it, test rounds, in the field here. WOW! What a difference!

5.jpg

I got back my two cans Friday.
Exactly as described.
Will try and shoot them next week.
Thanks to AWC and glad I gave them another try.

I'm not sure about the Shark, however the AWC is has no wear to replace. It might help to find out if Shark is the same. Because Shark has not been around as long as AWC does not mean that they are not good.

Maybe, take into account that everyone that owns a AWC seems to be very happy, ie Govt., L/E, Civilian. That does say something.

Good luck, do your research and compare to your application that may help in your choice.

My 6mm T.H.O.R. Raider came in today now time for a bunch more paperwork and waiting! PG

All i know is i sent an email into AWC Silencers and have yet to hear back from anyone in regards to the questions i asked.

Maybe i am being impatient?

Will a silencer work its magic on a Semi Auto as well as a bolt action rifle?

I live in Colorado and i am hearing horror stories on the length of time to get a silencer and cutting through the red tap seems to be another story in itself?

What kind of time frame am i looking at?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dead Down Wind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All i know is i sent an email into AWC Silencers and have yet to hear back from anyone in regards to the questions i asked.

Maybe i am being impatient?

Will a silencer work its magic on a Semi Auto as well as a bolt action rifle?

I live in Colorado and i am hearing horror stories on the length of time to get a silencer and cutting through the red tap seems to be another story in itself?

What kind of time frame am i looking at?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

</div></div>

Dude, really!?
Call them.
You are.
No.
Honestly? Do a search. There is even a thread in this very forum entitled "Form 4 wait time".

If you look to be spoon-fed on here, you will be rudely met. Just a fair warning.....

Started the process this afternoon.

Looks like it is gonna be a loooooooooooooong 4 months.

Thank you!

I saw 2010 review of the AWC thundertrap online and what immediately struck me was 8" length 1.5" diameter, and ~140DB sound signature on a 20" .308 bolt gun.

These are great specs. Then I saw that the bore diameter was .333"

That's tighter than most muzzle brakes. Great sound performance... but a bore I just would not be excited to put a .308 bullet through.

Gemtech and AAC will run ~.37" bores, tripling the bore tolerance is probably going to result in lower incidence of strikes. Bullets sometimes yaw, barrel threads won't all be perfect. It's better for a design to account for these considerations IMO.

Especially in a market where replacement is $200 taxable, and where someone in law enforcement might be taking a shot on a hostage that depends on the bullet not touching anything but air between the muzzle crown and the target.

HPLLC, TT bore diameter is .335, leaving over >50 thou clearance. 30 thou all around. Stable on a 12" barrel .308 barrel. A non issue, zero.

But, that is not the way you square away big bores in a quality suppressor....just the opposite. Gemtech is capable of producing .37 bores and not capable of keeping tight tolerances...If there was ever a "just Good Enough" company its Gemtech. If fact, they build them and then final ream them just to be sure nothing gets close. If one takes the position that everything is to be 100% deep penetration welded, and that the whole armature is perfectly aligned, essentially forever, well tight bores are WHAT you want. Suppression, world class suppression, requires tight bores and proper staging. Otherwise one is left trying to make up the "differences" with volume and ablatives.

You get what you pay for. Thundertrap, the newest versions, especially the T.H.O.R.s, set a standard few can match. They just can't build them fast enough to meet demand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HPLLC, TT bore diameter is .335, leaving over >50 thou clearance. 30 thou all around. Stable on a 12" barrel .308 barrel. A non issue, zero.
</div></div>

That's pretty much what I said aside from the faulty subtraction and division. I said .334" - you say .335". The bullet is .308" So that leaves .027"/2 = .0135" <span style="font-weight: bold">13.5 thousandths of an inch all the way around. </span>

I can't say that I've measured a Gemtech suppressor for runout, but AAC does full circumferential weld, and does Wire EDM bores (allowing them to cut the bore perfectly concentric to the mounting system virtually eliminating runout), and AAC cuts .308 bores to ~.375"

So even with the ability to cut a perfectly concentric bore, AAC still feels that .37" is the desired safe bore diameter to run in .308.

Having worked with suppressors for 11 years, I know the closer you get to bullet diameter the more likely you are to have bullet contact. (Something that doesn't take a genius to just use logic to extrapolate). Bullet contact with a component in the suppressor will cause dramatic deviation in bullet flight path.

Sound reduction is great, but in a tool that might have to take a hostage shot, .334" is irresponsible and that is my opinion as a school trained Army Sniper and as a Sound suppressor manufacturer.

That was the point of my post. It wasn't an attempt to crap on AWC, or cause a flame war, but maybe to point someone who might be in a serious line of work at a lower liability tool, because in a court case, the tightest bore in industry would not be a very defend-able piece of ground to be on if anything should happen.

.355 - Sorry about the mistype.

Look, what can one say to a person that suggests that AWC is "irresponsible" for building one of the quietest, strongest, accurate and most popular cans in history. Its a form of crazy talk, a kind of psycho babble that stops some folks in their tracks. Many "serious line of work" people have been using the Thunder Trap in nations around the world for decades. They actively seek out precision cans for their inherent accuracy, suppression performance, strength and operational stability. Its entering its 9th iteration. 100% circumferential welding started with this can. Thousands of TT cans out there being banged on every day. With a return rate of under a half a percent in TOTAL (almost nil of THAT for core deviation) and a reputation for quality and performance speaks for itself. AWC, having made Thunder Traps longer than most companies have been in business has about as much chance of increasing any risk of strike by doing what they are doing as coloring their cans green or sand. There are a number of reasons why some manufacturer's can designs <span style="font-style: italic">require</span> them to bore out to larger diameters having <span style="font-style: italic">nothing</span> to do with strike risks.

You can think anything you want, you build cans, you will know best what to do with your cans. I honestly look forward to reading about your products right here at the Hide. You and I have danced around before on different topics, this one the appropriateness of the bore on an TT is pretty typical for you. Everything but a clear understanding of what it takes to send a bullet off path enough to strike a baffle..and how to avoid it, especially when its important to do so. Your on your own here.

Recently, when PGM entered their new .338 rifle into trials they test over a dozen of the highest end cans. They went with a TT.

6.jpg

Rolling thunder, you are a master of word smithing.

In machining, there is no camouflaging fact. Tolerance is tolerance, and the AWC product has 1/3 the tolerance for safe bullet passage.

Your words have no weight in this argument.

Thunder trap Thor TI

I've been reading for days upon days and googling, searching here, etc... on everything I can find to answer my question.

I have come down to two (2) systems (I could be pursuaded otherwise so please throw what you have out there). I will be putting this can on a DTA SRS and my T3 Tikka, both in .308. I've also decided that when I get my .338 conversion I will just get another can for it.
I like both the Shark and AWC cans. I have read everywhere about other systems, but keep coming back to these two. I haven't had the ability to hear any in person.
I really like the longevity of the AWC business and their long relationship with military, etc... It seems they put a lot of money into R&D, etc... Not knowing a lot about these systems in general, it seems to me that they have likely been around the industry this long for a reason. However, I don't see a lot of talk about them. Am I missing something? And is the fact that Shark is relatively new to this world anything to get hung up on? These suppressors stay with you a while, so I want to be informed. Thanks.
Mine is on armalite SASS I would not change a thing Love it